Author Topic: Your "spring/summer" albums/songs  (Read 1676 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Your "spring/summer" albums/songs
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
The weather's glorious here this week, and to celebrate I want to know what albums or songs, to you personally, make for great listening in the spring/summer sunshine.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your "spring/summer" albums/songs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Anything Led Zeppelin, starting with Houses of the Holy.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 12:13:14 PM »
It's not really a daytime album in my opinion, but Kings of Leon's Come Around Sundown is not only a very summer-y album to me, it's an evening summer album to me. As the title implies, listen to it late in the day, it's 47 minutes long and in my opinion works best when you finish it while the sun is still visible over the horizon. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »
Depends also on the travels I do. Folk metal is more generally a summer genre for me, unless it's something atmospheric like Wardruna.

If I go to the mountains, I go deep into the folk, with Faun, Omnia, Eluveitie, Elvenking.... while if I go to the sea, I go to more sea-ish stuff like Ye Banished Privateers, random assorted songs about the sea and Corde Oblique which is a very nice and somehow proggy acoustic ensemble from Naples.

I'm way more into metal than rock but I guess rock is a good summer genre. Halestorm's The Strange Case Of is always a good summer choice for example.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
It's not really a daytime album in my opinion, but Kings of Leon's Come Around Sundown is not only a very summer-y album to me, it's an evening summer album to me. As the title implies, listen to it late in the day, it's 47 minutes long and in my opinion works best when you finish it while the sun is still visible over the horizon. It's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Brother, I was hoping I replied before you, because I would have bet my house you would have said "Asia".     For me and "summer", it's the first one (just because of where I was at the time it came out, though I do like the second one better over all).

Also, the Cars and Cheap Trick.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

Brother, I was hoping I replied before you, because I would have bet my house you would have said "Asia".     For me and "summer", it's the first one (just because of where I was at the time it came out, though I do like the second one better over all).

Also, the Cars and Cheap Trick.

Asia is totally summer, specifically the debut, but I had to mention CAS up front because nobody else here would, I believe. I think Asia's debut is a better summer album despite paling compared to Alpha (great minds think alike, my friend). Alpha is kind of a summery album, but to me it's very much a winter album in its sparkling, gentle beauty and a reluctant acceptance of sorrow and heartbreak. Basically a bright, cloudless winter day. Hell yeah, man.

I think XXX is very much a summer album. "Bury Me In Willow" and "Face on the Bridge" are very summery.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Ayreon's The Human Equation & The Theory of Everything, Yes's Fragile & Close to the Edge, The Beatles - Abbey Road & Sgt Peppers, all The Dear Hunter albums, Justice - Audio, Video, Disco, Neal Morse - Testimony 1 & 2, the first three Moulettes albums, Outline in Color - A Jury of Wolves, TEE - Trans Europe Expression, Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here, The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, most Epica & Anneke van Giersbergen albums, most Electropop/Synthpop/Dancepop albums, most Disney soundtracks, most Red Hot Chili Peppers albums, and most Rush albums.

Depends also on the travels I do. Folk metal is more generally a summer genre for me, unless it's something atmospheric like Wardruna.

Huh, that's funny. I've always associated most of the Folk Metal bands I listen to with Winter/Autumn. To each their own, I suppose.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance always get played more by me during this time of year.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
Epicloud - Devin Townsend Project

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
Haken - Affinity is a great spring album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
I tend to have spring/summer bands:

Van Halen
Dave Matthews Band
The Flower Kings

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »
I don't really have spring/summer music, I listen to whatever genre/band I feel like regardless of the season/time/weather.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »
I don't really have spring/summer music, I listen to whatever genre/band I feel like regardless of the season/time/weather.
This.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance always get played more by me during this time of year.  :metal

Anything Van Halen. Especially the DLR albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »
This.

Well, I am mostly the same way, but certain times of year just bring out certain bands or songs or albums.

VH and DMB I always associate with summer because every time I have seen both bands, it was in the summertime at an outdoor venue.

Radiohead's OK Computer I will always associate with summer because I discovered the CD during the summer of 2005 (or 2006) and it was my go-to CD that summer when driving to and from the college night course I was taking for six weeks.

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »
ELO's Zoom is the perfect summer album for me.
It came out in June 2001 and my parents spinned that disc every day during the summer holiday in Southern France.

And I made my own Summer/BBQ playlist  ;D :

https://open.spotify.com/user/dreamdrummer87/playlist/6y7KdQ4MemOKgBaQrEalMm?si=ZMtYxJTmR3WkDEBKm89mog

Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 05:42:34 AM »
The first that come to mind are Anathema - Weather Systems / WHBWH / The Optimist (yeah, I love this album, don't get the hate) and Alcest - Voyages de L'Ame, also Closure In Moscow - Pink Lemonade if we're strictly speaking of prog music.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 06:56:21 AM »

Anything Van Halen. Especially the DLR albums.

I usually turn to Van Halen and Sammy's solo albums as well, and plenty of hair bands. 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
Pink Floyds "The Division Bell" is a nice listen on a late afternoon/early evening summers day.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 07:50:12 AM »
Oh, Cinderella and Night Ranger.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Daft Punk's Random Access Memories has become an essential summer listen for me since its release.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »

This is usually me as well.  That having been said, Tesseract - Sonder came out right when the we finally broke away from winter, so at least at the moment it has a sunny connotation.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »
Queens of The Stone Age

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
Pink Floyds "The Division Bell" is a nice listen on a late afternoon/early evening summers day.

This.

A couple of albums that sound especially great in the summer for me:

Woodface by Crowded House
Second Nature by Flying Colors
Marbles by Marillion
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep by Spock's Beard
Sleeping in Traffic Part One by Beardfish

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
God Is An Astronaut's "All Is Violent, All Is Bright" is a very late spring/early summer album to me. "Take Care, Take Care, Take Care" by Explosions In The Sky is very much a summer album to me, whereas "The Wilderness" is more fitting in spring.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »
Fair to Midland seems to always be one of my go-to jams for spring and summer. Kvelertak as well-- roll your windows down, turn the volume up as high as possible, and scream Norwegian ramblings. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
Seasons don't influence what I listen to, but there are some things I associate with summer (nothing really with spring since the distinction between seasons isn't really significant here.

Just about all Y&T songs have an association with summer (including, obviously, Summertime Girls).

Most of the DLR-era Van Halen music, particularly Beautiful Girls and Ice Cream Man

Scorpions - Love at First Sting

Whitesnake - Self Titled
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 03:02:50 AM »
Nick D'Virgilio's adaption of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway!

While the original was pretty sinister and "strange", NDVs version has a very sunny feeling to me. At least a few songs like the title tack, Counting Out Time, Carpet Crawl, Colony Of Slippermen, It.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 07:57:29 AM »
When the sun and heat first start coming out in the early spring and summer I tend to reach for 311. Usually Don't Tread On Me or Uplifter, or just everything on random. They're a very summer-y band.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
Oh I'm all over this one!

In sunny warm weather, I play stuff like Weezer, Green Day, Rage, Korn, Offspring, upbeat Beck, STP, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, Black Crowes, DT, heavy Porcupine Tree, etc.

Oasis Definitely Maybe and Be Here Now are good summer albums

When it's 90+ I bump gangsta rap with the windows down!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
We’ve got some hot weather in the UK for once so it’s 8ps hair metal all the way atm.

The power/prog has been put away for a while.

Today it was Poison Open Up And Say Ahhh and Alice Cooper Trash

Offline dparrott

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
80's pop like GoGo's etc. always reminds me of summer. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »
When the sun and heat first start coming out in the early spring and summer I tend to reach for 311. Usually Don't Tread On Me or Uplifter, or just everything on random. They're a very summer-y band.
I tend to gravitate towards bands like 311 in the spring and summer. Although 311 isn't my favorite. I prefer The Expendables or Tomorrow's Bad Seeds.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline dparrott

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »
Thurman: Lux.  This was a one-album wonder during the 90's britpop phase, it's britpop with a glam rock attitude, great fun for a sunny day.

https://youtu.be/ScBuPPou5pE

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »
Anything Neal Morse is my annual go-to once the weather starts to warm up, so Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Neal's solo stuff, and Neal era Spock's Beard. I'll go with stuff like Mr. Big a little more often, and then Thank You Scientist is working its way back into rotation this year.
Photobucket sucks.