Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why
9 (2.6%)
Eagles - In the City
10 (2.9%)
Eagles - Seven Bridges Road
5 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: February 20, 2024, 08:03:38 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by Eagles  (Read 4602 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these songs by Eagles
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
Instead of listing just songs by the Eagles, I thought I would throw in some prominent solo songs by various members of the band, for fun.

You can vote for up to 7.

I went with:

The Boys of Summer
Hotel California
The Last Resort
Tequila Sunrise
In the City
Lyin' Eyes
Sunset Grill

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Your favorites of these songs by Eagles
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
The Eagles, sorry.... Eagles are another one of those bands that tend to do really well for me on the evening drive home in the summer when the sun is setting, the summer isn't quite yet stifling, and the colors of the sun take on a different feel, and the wind is blowing through the open windows of my pickup, so for me, I chose

Take it Easy
Tequila Sunrise
Already Gone
Hotel California
Life in the Fast Lane
In the City
Boys of Summer- The Atari's did a cover of this song like 14 years ago and I really liked that one too. Fun fact, Pat Benatar was in the studio next door to Don when they were recording Boys of Summer and she was recording Love is a Battlefield. Don heard what she was doing and loved the sound she was using for the song and asked if he could use it for his song, hers was uptempo and his is a bit slower I think. This according to Pat's husband and guitarist. This song is great for those late summer drives.

After looking at Glenn Frey's selection here, controversial question (maybe, I'm just not sure the answer here) could he really go out on his own like Joe Walsh and Don can and could? I honestly don't think I could name a Glenn Frey solo song. Not that Don does that well nowadays, he's a curmudgeonly asshole nowadays, but still had bigger hits than Glenn (I think)
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:28:58 PM »
To answer your question first, I saw the Eagles on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour, and they are a great band - meaning, as a band they are tight and play the songs perfectly - but when Glenn did his songs, the proceedings screeched to a halt.   "Smuggler's Blues" is on my top five most despised songs of all time by any artist ever.

I voted for:

- four of the five Henley songs - no Dirty Laundry for me
- Joe Walsh "Life's Been Good"
- The Eagles "The Long Run"
- The Eagles "In The City"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »
Love Joe Walsh and Eagles. Struggled with this a bit. The Last Resort is probably my favorite, especially the version from Hell Freezes Over.

Eagles - The Last Resort
Eagles - Hotel California
Eagles - In the City
Eagles - Tequila Sunrise
Eagles - Already Gone
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
Don Henley - New York Minute (Hell Freezes Over version)
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:08:49 AM »
Desperado
One Of These Nights
New York Minute
Hotel California
Last Resort
I Can't Tell You Why

I'd like to add Pretty Maids All In A Row as well, an often overlooked song on Hotel California and one of my absolute favs by the Eagles. Joe's guitar work on there is just beautiful.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »
Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
Don Henley - The End of the Innocence
Eagles - One of These Nights
Eagles - Lyin' Eyes

No New Kid in Town?
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Not a big Eagles fan.  I like a few of the hits.  Used to have one of the greatest hits albums, but I thought half of them sucked.  I voted for:

Dirty Laundry (this is really mostly a nostalgia selection because it was on a "mix tape" that my best friend had back in late 1982 that we listed to a LOT)
Boys of Summer (this song and the other Henley songs run together a bit for me -- I could have switched this out with NY Minute or End of the Innocence)
Take It Easy (most of the Eagles songs I'm familiar with fall on the wrong side of "too much country," but this song hangs on the edge of the good side of the line)
Already Gone
Hotel California
Life in the Fast Lane

I vaguely recall at some  point someone told me I would dig Seven Bridges Road, and I vaguely recall listening to it and thinking it was cool, but I can't remember it well enough now to give it a vote).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
The Eagles, sorry.... Eagles are another one of those bands that tend to do really well for me on the evening drive home in the summer when the sun is setting, the summer isn't quite yet stifling, and the colors of the sun take on a different feel, and the wind is blowing through the open windows of my pickup, so for me, I chose...

??? ???

To answer your question first, I saw the Eagles on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour, and they are a great band - meaning, as a band they are tight and play the songs perfectly - but when Glenn did his songs, the proceedings screeched to a halt.   "Smuggler's Blues" is on my top five most despised songs of all time by any artist ever.

I love Smugger's Blues (it almost got my last vote here), but nothing else Frey ever did on his own stuck with me.  You Belong to the City?  Vomit.

The Last Resort is probably my favorite, especially the version from Hell Freezes Over.

Hell yeah to this version.  The studio version is good, but that live version is great.

No New Kid in Town?

I can't include everything.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
In the History of Eagles documentary they had that bit about how they hate when people refer to the band as The Eagles when it’s Eagles. Sorry, I always thought that part was funny, maybe not as memorable for others.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:56 AM »
Ah, gotcha.

Also, to address this questions...

After looking at Glenn Frey's selection here, controversial question (maybe, I'm just not sure the answer here) could he really go out on his own like Joe Walsh and Don can and could? I honestly don't think I could name a Glenn Frey solo song. Not that Don does that well nowadays, he's a curmudgeonly asshole nowadays, but still had bigger hits than Glenn (I think)

Oddly, The Heat Is On and You Belong to the City charted higher on the U.S. pop charts than any solo song Henley ever had, but I suspect that most people, if you asked them who had the better solo career, would say Henley. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
In the Stairway to Heaven category, if I never heard Hotel California again I could probably still lead a long, fulfilling life. And I'll never go out of my way to do so, but every time I do hear it, I love it. I really liked Desperado back when I was big in to classic rock too, it spoke to me and I found it very moving. The rest of their material is like the bland staple in your pantry for classic rock radio. It's not terribly great, but you can't go too long without one of their songs.

Nothing of any of their solo work really stands out to me. Life's Been Good is a cool song, that's about it.

...they hate when people refer to the band as The Eagles when it’s Eagles.

I thought at least among classic rock fans this was common knowledge. And isn't the band Scorpions just Scorpions too?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
I'll never get tired of Hotel California, but a lot of the songs by this band definitely fall under the "nice song, but I don't care if I ever hear it again" category.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 11:24:09 AM »
I think they're very under appreciated. I mean, they had massive commercial success, but I've heard a lot of people say exactly what you guys are saying here: "cool, nice, but nothing special".
I think they did some VERY special songs. Not gonna talk about Hotel California, but songs like Long Road Out Of Eden, I Can't Tell You Why, Wasted Time, Last Resort (the freakin lyrics!!), Journey Of The Sorcerer (6 minute instrumental), and Pretty Maids All In A Row (mentioned that already) are wonderful songs. I could go on for a while.
They are very well composed and played and most of them have astonishing (pun not intended ;) ) vocal arrangements! That's what you get when you have 4 musicians in a band that would function perfectly as lead singers.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »
Ah, gotcha.

Oddly, The Heat Is On and You Belong to the City charted higher on the U.S. pop charts than any solo song Henley ever had, but I suspect that most people, if you asked them who had the better solo career, would say Henley.

I don't dispute that fact, but to me, that reinforces the point. Frey's solo stuff always seemed like "product" to me.   He was on the "Miami Vice" bandwagon, for sure, and I think some of that smarminess is what I don't like (and yes, I know that one of my prog-rock gods was in that same boat).  Henley was just as slick at times, but he had/has a sort of prickly edge to his stuff that gave it a little weight.   

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
Severe lack of The Confessor and Turn To Stone by Joe Walsh.

Dirty Laundry//Smuggler's Blues//Life's Been Good//Already Gone//One of These Nights//Victim of Love//Seven Bridges Road

(Is anyone else having issues with Enter not registering?)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 02:35:22 AM »
Ah, gotcha.

I don't dispute that fact, but to me, that reinforces the point. Frey's solo stuff always seemed like "product" to me.   He was on the "Miami Vice" bandwagon, for sure, and I think some of that smarminess is what I don't like (and yes, I know that one of my prog-rock gods was in that same boat).  Henley was just as slick at times, but he had/has a sort of prickly edge to his stuff that gave it a little weight.

What does smarminess mean?

@Debra: Not having any problems...  ???

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
I wasn't sure where else to post this...   

But I listened to Long Road Out of Eden yesterday, and the title track on that album might be the best song to ever come out of The Eagles.

For the sake of the poll, I went with
- New York Minute
- The End of the Innocence
- Take it Easy
- Desperado
- Life in the Fast Lane
- Victim of Love
- The Last Resort
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:29:56 AM by Chino »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »
Who the hell would pick Life's Been Good? That's the worst song ever made! ???
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »
Who the hell would pick Life's Been Good? That's the worst song ever made! ???

I love that song, frankly.

And Fritzinger, sorry for missing your question:  "smarminess" is sort of... smug, or falsely earnest.  Mike Love is also "smarmy"; he's shown throughout the years that he's all about "product", but he doesn't hesitate to hitch his wagon to Brian Wilson's artistic star. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
I use "smarmy" to describe people all the time. Half the time probably incorrectly. Don't care. I figure half the people I talk to don't know what it means anyway.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
The Boys Of Summer literally transports me back to 1984 and gives me goosebumps. It’s my all time favorite Eagles franchise (including Eagles proper) song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »
Don Henley - The Boys of Summer
Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good
Eagles - One of These Nights
Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane
Eagles - The Long Run
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
Speaking of Eagles; Don Felder appeared on Sammy Hagar's "Rock and Roll Roadtrip" show and did a solo version of "Hotel California" on an electric double neck guitar, and it was pretty cool.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
I loathe the Eagles, but Sunset Grill is a fantastic song, and side 2 of Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast is a great side of music. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 11:15:20 AM »
I loathe the Eagles, but Sunset Grill is a fantastic song, and side 2 of Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast is a great side of music.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 03:12:54 PM »
Boys of Summer
Life's Been Good
Take It Easy
Desperado
The Last Resort
I Can't Tell You Why
Seven Bridges Road

Eagles are awesome.  No bad songs or bad albums, just some that are better than others.

I liked Glenn Frey's solo stuff.

Kind of surprised the Joe Walsh choices included Life of Illusion over other songs like Funk # 49 or Walk Away.  But that's cool, they are all good. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

Eagles
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 06:37:46 PM »
I didn’t want to start a new thread on this, so sorry for resurrecting this one. BUT anyway, Don Henley just testified that he has a team of 60 people working 6 days a week to take down YouTube content that has Eagles or Henley content. I mean heaven forbid someone wanted to listen to one of his songs or watch a video on how it’s played? The guy’s probably worth 200 million. What an unbelievable asshole. I never liked the Eagles anyway but this makes me hate them more.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
It's amazing how old people cannot see it as a promotional tool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 09:02:47 PM »
I voted:

Boys of Summer (great song)
The End of the Innocence (best song on this list because Bruce Hornsby is awesome)
Desperado (the only Eagles song I like)

I had no idea Joe Walsh was in Eagles, but all those songs by him suck and so do the rest of the Eagles songs I’ve heard. :-P I do kind of like Henley as a solo guy a little though.

Also, aside from The End of the Innocence, the best Henley-involved song is Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough with Patty Smyth.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 10:56:47 PM by HOF »

Offline HOF

Re: Eagles
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »
I didn’t want to start a new thread on this, so sorry for resurrecting this one. BUT anyway, Don Henley just testified that he has a team of 60 people working 6 days a week to take down YouTube content that has Eagles or Henley content. I mean heaven forbid someone wanted to listen to one of his songs or watch a video on how it’s played? The guy’s probably worth 200 million. What an unbelievable asshole. I never liked the Eagles anyway but this makes me hate them more.

So I imagine you saw the same Rick Beato rant about this that I did. I sort of get where Rick is coming from, but he came across as really whiny and entitled in that video and it really rubbed me wrong. I love Beato’s videos and I’ve learned a lot from them, but the fact that he “spends a whole day” (LOL) putting together a top 20 video with snippets of music he doesn’t own the rights to doesn’t make him sympathetic when the rights holder inevitably shuts it down. I wonder if he’s ever tried just asking for permission first rather than just assuming he has a right to use people’s music (even if it is like 9 seconds).

As for Henley’s testimony, I generally still feel that it’s his art and he should control it, even if I agree that YouTube is great publicity and they should probably be focusing on monetizing whatever uploads are out there rather than shutting them down altogether. He probably is just throwing money down the drain paying people to take stuff down.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2020, 08:36:19 AM »
HOF, I am with you 1000% percent.  I too like Beato, think he's talented and insightful, but his arguments - very much akin to "Henley's worth way more than $200 mil, he'll live!" - are off.   It's not really about Henley, and it's not really about Beato.   

The point is, it takes resources to fight this stuff.  And most artists AREN'T Henley, and don't have the wherewithall to put six people full time on this.  Marillion.   Even Dream Theater.  It also takes resources to, once you identify a "use" that potentially infringes, to assess each and every one of them.  It's cost time efficient to just take it down.  And what he's not accounting for is that it's prudent to fight these - all of them - if you want to fight ONE of them.  You don't lose your copyright if you don't defend it across the board, but it might factor into the damage calculations, so if there is a massive violation, you may not be in a position to reap the benefits of that.   And finally, "dick" or "no dick", it's the owner of the copyright's perogative.  That's the beauty of a copyright, trademark or patent; you get the right to deny others the right to profit off your work.  It's also their right, their perogative, to make the financial calculations of risk/reward.

Beato's only real recourse here is to say "wow, I would have decided differently, but oh well.".   

Offline Trav86

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2020, 09:08:51 AM »
Since this was bumped I noticed that I never voted on here.
The Boys of Summer
Life’s Been Good
Desperado
Already Gone
Lyin’ Eyes
Hotel California
The Last Resort
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2023, 07:20:19 PM »
This is my new favorite version of any Eagles song, thanks to Randy and the group slaying Take it to the Limit live. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwB90_8XErQ

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2023, 09:54:10 AM »
The Boys Of Summer literally transports me back to 1984 and gives me goosebumps. It’s my all time favorite Eagles franchise (including Eagles proper) song.

:omg:  Bring a sports almanac back with you and make some money while you're there!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2023, 09:55:32 AM »
HOF, I am with you 1000% percent.  I too like Beato, think he's talented and insightful, but his arguments - very much akin to "Henley's worth way more than $200 mil, he'll live!" - are off.   It's not really about Henley, and it's not really about Beato.   

The point is, it takes resources to fight this stuff.  And most artists AREN'T Henley, and don't have the wherewithall to put six people full time on this.  Marillion.   Even Dream Theater.  It also takes resources to, once you identify a "use" that potentially infringes, to assess each and every one of them.  It's cost time efficient to just take it down.  And what he's not accounting for is that it's prudent to fight these - all of them - if you want to fight ONE of them.  You don't lose your copyright if you don't defend it across the board, but it might factor into the damage calculations, so if there is a massive violation, you may not be in a position to reap the benefits of that.   And finally, "dick" or "no dick", it's the owner of the copyright's perogative.  That's the beauty of a copyright, trademark or patent; you get the right to deny others the right to profit off your work.  It's also their right, their perogative, to make the financial calculations of risk/reward.

Beato's only real recourse here is to say "wow, I would have decided differently, but oh well.".

On the other hand, a lot of these videos would be legal under Fair Use, but YouTube takes them down based on the request, regardless of legality.