Author Topic: The Queen Thread  (Read 103241 times)

Offline Pettor

Re: The Queen Thread
« Reply #910 on: April 19, 2024, 03:19:42 AM »
Hehe this prog wheel got me thinking. I love Queen and it's the reason I listen to the music I do. However, I don't have any album that is really perfect with them. This is uncommon in a way. Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, Meat Loaf, Toto and a lot of other bands have this perfect album where I can't find a weak point. Sure some songs are less impressive than others but overall their lowest point is still very high on certain albums.

Queen always manage to have one or two songs that just don't impress and borderline becomes skippable on my nearly perfect albums.

Night at The Opera. One of my favorite albums but Sweet Lady just isn't my cup of tea. Good Company isn't the best either but does have a fun vibe I enjoy. The rest of the songs are frikkin perfect but yeah.

Queen 2. This album would be perfect if The Loser in The End wasn't such a boring piece of music. Some Day one Day is ok at but The Loser in The End just drags down the experience. Thankfully Ogre Battle sends the album into outer space and continues until the final note.

Innuendo. I want this to be perfect but Delilah just doesn't work for me. Strange since it's a Freddie song and it's that special type of corny Queen usually does so well, but I just have a hard time with this one.

A Day at The Races. You Take My Breath Away. Damit, so close but this song is a draggy piece of music even if it's impressive. Maybe it shouldn't have been the second song on the album and fit better just after Somebody to Love 🤷‍♂️ Drowse is maybe the one that's my least favorite and once again Taylor. Feels like he wrote a couple of these slow paces draggy pieces for a couple of albums. The rest is soo damn good and if you took the best part of this and combined with ANATO you would have an album so good everyone could just stop making music.

I guess my biggest gripe is Sweet Lady since ANATO is so monumental overall. Imagine replacing it with a song like You and I or Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy and the album would just be 🤯
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 05:10:42 AM by Pettor »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #911 on: April 19, 2024, 03:26:40 AM »
Night at The Opera. One of my favorite albums but Sweet Lady just isn't my cup of tea. Good Company isn't the best either but does have a fun vibe I enjoy. The rest of the songs are frikkin perfect but yeah.

For me that's I'm In Love With My Car, otherwise the album is marvellous. I could never get into that song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #912 on: April 19, 2024, 05:13:40 AM »
I'm in love with my car and Sweet lady are the two songs that aren't on the level of the remaining songs.

Otherwise, I'd argue that Lazing and Seaside rendezvous are just as important to the album as Death on two legs and Love of my life are.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #913 on: April 19, 2024, 06:25:50 AM »
As always, I'm the iconoclast...  Sweet Lady and I'm In Love With My Car are essential to that record.  Now, let's be fair, I don't think that is their best - or even in their top three - album, and I'm not the hugest fan of "Death On Two Legs" or "Good Company", but certainly. "Lazing..." and "Seaside..." disrupt the flow for me.  That is such a powerful record, and while I sort of get that Queen was going for the "kitchen sink" (the entire album sort of plays like "Bohemian Rhapsody" with the different sections/moods/whatever, but when I listen to that and get into the powerful Prophet's Song or '39 or Sweet Lady, I'm not typically in the mood for the other, more whimsical songs ("whimsical" is my least favorite side of Freddie, anyway).

Offline Pettor

« Reply #914 on: April 19, 2024, 08:44:05 AM »
I'm In Love With My Car is great! Usually don't like Taylor contributions during the 70s era bit this one of a favorite. However ANATO also require Lazy and Seaside, they are essential to the sound of that album. It's their Dark Side of The Moon; vibrant, varied, fine tuned and just a ride through a sonic landscape but done in the Queen way.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #915 on: April 19, 2024, 09:53:15 AM »
Another upvote for "I'm in Love with My Car".  A Night at the Opera was my first Queen album, and those first three tracks hitting you bang-bang-bang was my introduction to them.  Sure, I'd heard "Killer Queen" on the radio, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" is what made me buy the album, but this was 1975.  Put an album on, let it play all the way through.  That tells you what a band is about.  And these guys were insane.  I love songs that bang up against each other but aren't quite "medley".  Of course, "The Prophet's Song" and "Love of My Life" actually do segue, so even better.  I've listened to ANATO dozens of times over the years, maybe hundreds, all the way through, every time.