Author Topic: Is Deep Purple a band with a huge impact in hard rock and metal?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline WildRanger

What do you think?

According to Allmusic Deep Purple were followed by these bands:

Def Leppard
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Motörhead
Scorpions
Thin Lizzy
UFO
Aerosmith
Alice in Chains
Blue Öyster Cult
Bon Jovi
Dio
Dream Theater
Europe
Heart
Helloween
Machine Head
Meshuggah
Metallica
Montrose
Queen
Quiet Riot
Rush
Styx
Uriah Heep
Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen
Accept
Aldo Nova
Angel
Bad Company
Boston
Budgie
Fates Warning
Foreigner
Great White
Hanoi Rocks
Journey
King Diamond
Krokus
L.A. Guns
Marillion
Monster Magnet
Queens of the Stone Age
Rainbow
Saxon
Stormtroopers of Death
Venom
W.A.S.P.
Asia
Candlemass
Danzig
Kyuss
Mercyful Fate
Planet P Project
Porcupine Tree
The Charlatans UK
White Zombie
AX
Stonefield
Volbeat

If this is true then it means a very big impact of one band IMO.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Is Deep Purple a band with a huge impact in hard rock and metal?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:24:04 AM »
Who is Stonefield? Do you get a free yogurt with every CD purchase?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
D'uh, yes of course.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
Yes. I think most guitarists learn the riff to Smoke on the Water first (I actually taught my 54-year old dad last week how to play it :lol).

I'm not that familiar with them, but listened to some of their stuff quite recently and they're very good. Child in Time is simply :hefdaddy. I think they're a bit overlooked globally, but they are quite popular here in Finland.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
Of course they had a huge impact

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
Is this some kind of trick question?

Rock/hard rock/metal wouldn't be the same without Deep Purple.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »
This is an absolute no brainer even if you don't like Deep Purple
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 09:15:02 AM »
This is an absolute no brainer even if you don't like Deep Purple
This.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
Deep who?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
I'm biased because Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite musician ever, but I feel like Deep Purple is a more successful Velvet Undergound, in that there weren't legions of fans, but those that were fans went out and formed bands of their own.

Purple was
- metal without the religious undertones;
- rock without the ridiculousness;
- prog without the pretentiousness;
- classical without the boring.

It is also worth noting that for the most part (at least with the core members) there wasn't a lot of drug-related drama, and there wasn't a lot of misogyny that came along with a band like Led Zeppelin. 

Offline metrojam

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »

EXACTLY!!...I have to keep reading it to make sure I havent missed the "trick" in the question!!

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »
When you got Ritchie Blackmore in your band you don't need drugs for the drama.  :biggrin:

Also Tommy Bolin, but he probably doesn't count as a core member.

And re: Pretentiousness. If a concerto for group and orchestra isn't pretentious (regardless of quality) I don't know what is.  :biggrin:

But they were/are a really good band which influenced legions of bands and musicians.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »

This.
Blackmore is unfairly left out of the list of great players that came out of the uk in the 60s. Whilst his peers were content to rehash the blues he used more “exotic” scales. And invented power metal while he was at it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
What do you think?

Did Deep Purple have "a huge impact in hard rock and metal"?  Of course it did.  Hard to believe this could be in any serious doubt.

According to Allmusic Deep Purple were followed by these bands:

. . .

If this is true then it means a very big impact of one band IMO.

I don't know what "was followed by" means in this context.  Followed chronologically?  "Followed" in the way that fans "follow" a sports team or musical artist?  If you are (or if "Allmusic" is) suggesting that all of those bands were influenced by Deep Purple, I don't know...maybe in the same way that pretty much every metal band has been "influenced" directly or indirectly by Black Sabbath.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 02:09:39 PM »
Not sure I see the line from Deep Purple to Bon Jovi or some of those other bands but undoubtedly they are a huge influence in the metal world. Blackmore is one of the all time great players and pretty much invented the whole fantasy/power metal movement with Rainbow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
Have you run out of questions?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »
Have you run out of questions?

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
Blackmore is unfairly left out of the list of great players that came out of the uk in the 60s. Whilst his peers were content to rehash the blues he used more “exotic” scales. And invented power metal while he was at it.

Is he? I was under the impression that everyone and their mother knew that Ritchie Blackmore sits among the greatest. There's a large enough group of people who are "whatever" about him?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »

Is he? I was under the impression that everyone and their mother knew that Ritchie Blackmore sits among the greatest. There's a large enough group of people who are "whatever" about him?

He’s generally never mentioned in the same reverence as Page, Clapton, Beck. Even George Harrison gets more respect.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »

He’s generally never mentioned in the same reverence as Page, Clapton, Beck. Even George Harrison gets more respect.

Again, bias, whatever, but I'm sort of with you, Lowdz.   You ask someone who "Jimi Hendrix" is, they know.  Ask someone who "Eddie Van Halen" is, they know.  Ask someone who Ritchie Blackmore is, and I don't think you're pulling the same numbers until you play the first couple bars of "Smoke..." and you get "oh, THAT guy.  Yep."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:19:29 AM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

Again, bias, whatever, but I'm sort of with you, Lowdz.   You ask someone who "Jimi Hendrix" is, they know.  Ask someone who "Eddie Van Halen" is, there know.  Ask someone who Ritchie Blackmore is, and I don't think you're pulling the same numbers until you play the first couple bars of "Smoke..." and you get "oh, THAT guy.  Yep."

This is an interesting conversation.

Page has the reverence because he was in the most iconic rock band ever, save for The Beatles or The Stones. Clapton, he's stayed in the public eye because of his pop hits rather than his guitar playing. If he didn't have the hits, noone would know who he is. Hendrix..well, he is more of an pop culture icon. I mean, you can't walk by a Spencers in the mall and not see a felt Hendrix poster.

And I'm sorry, no one can name a single Harrison or Beck track. Oh, Harrison was in the Beatles. Cool. Beck, other than I'm A Loser Baby So Why Don't You Kill Me....I mean, other than People Get Ready, I couldn't name a SINGLE FUCKING Jeff Beck song, and I'm 49.

Blackmore babies want to call him underrated, but rock fans, like me, know who he is. They might know Clapton, Beck, Harrison by name, but they know Blackmore by music.

As an aside, Blackmore hasn't helped his cause disapearing into the medevil times side show. Who gives an F, other than Stadler. I'm even willing to concede that the guitar playing is still amazing in that outfit of Plebs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:39:04 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »
Blackmore wasn't a big part of my childhood and so sits a bit lower in my personal list -  Purple and Rainbow etc....just weren't big on radio out here. But having said that I pretty much agree with everything you guys are saying .

And I have no idea why people don't take him seriously any more  :)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »
As an aside, Blackmore hasn't helped his cause disapearing into the medevil times side show. Who gives an F, other than Stadler. I'm even willing to concede that the guitar playing is still amazing in that outfit of Plebs.

Count me in with Stadler, please. The run from Shadow of the Moon (1997?) to Secret Voyage (2008) is pretty damn good in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »

Count me in with Stadler, please.

Now there's 6 words you don't usually see on DTF. :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »

Count me in with Stadler, please. The run from Shadow of the Moon (1997?) to Secret Voyage (2008) is pretty damn good in my opinion.

Count me in too!

And about people knowing Blackmore and the others... I once asked the coworker who sits next to me, who knows next to nothing about rock music (but I got him addicted to Thunderstruck), to name me a Led Zeppelin song, and he mimed the riff of Whole Lotta Love. I asked him about a Deep Purple song, and even though he couldn't remember the title, he hummed the riff of Smoke in the Water. Didn't bother to ask him about Ritchie Blackmore, he probably doesn't even know the names of Plant and Page anyway  :D

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 01:32:43 AM »
Deep Purple are not a very good band. The only song by them that I like is "Shot Through the Heart, and You're to Blame, You Give Love a Bad Name"
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 02:29:23 AM »
Deep Purple are not a very good band. The only song by them that I like is "Shot Through the Heart, and You're to Blame, You Give Love a Bad Name"

No, you got that wrong, that's Black Sabbath.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 02:57:12 AM »
Aren't Deep Purple and Pink Floyd the same group? I love their songs 'A Day in the Life' and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:06 AM »
Count me as another vote for what Stads said.

The "neo-classical" style of guitar playing in hard rock/metal started with RB, and was closely followed up by Uli Roth. As a former guitarist that grew up in the 80's, I can't imagine what playing the instrument would have been like without RB's influence on the entire genre'. And that's not to say that the rest of the band were simply average in the least. Jon Lord set the stage for any keyboard player to come after him in a rock/metal band. All of the vocalists were exceptional, Ian Gillan onward. Ian Pace is a very under rated drummer, and Roger Glover doesn't get a lot of attention, but the man did his job so well that if he wasn't a skilled player he would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 03:17:06 AM »
I think every guitar player knows and acknowledges the influence of Ritchie Blackmore. It's the "man on the street" that has heard the names of Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Harrison etc. more, because they were more popular, for reasons TAC has already mentioned.

Jeff Beck ist clearly a musicians musician and is probably the least known of all the early "guitar heroes".
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:22:11 AM by Kwyjibo »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 03:32:08 AM »
When you got Ritchie Blackmore in your band you don't need drugs for the drama.  :biggrin:

Going back to this since I remember one of the last concerts of him with Deep Purple before walking out in 1993, where for whatever reason he was pissed off at something and didn't join the band on stage, during Highway Star which was the opening song.

Ian Gillian got fed up with waiting for Ritchie to finally start the song after the introductory jam, and he started anyway to sing; Ritchie only came on stage for the solo, which he performed perfectly. Magnificent asshole  :lol

I believe it was also in the same concert that Gillian innocently throwed away a cup of water, but accidentally almost hit Blackmore who happened to be coming by, and I still remember from the video the expression of Blackmore, who was more or less like the one of Jules in Pulp Fiction when he's asking if Marcellus looks like a bitch :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 08:23:24 AM »

Again, bias, whatever, but I'm sort of with you, Lowdz.   You ask someone who "Jimi Hendrix" is, they know.  Ask someone who "Eddie Van Halen" is, there know.  Ask someone who Ritchie Blackmore is, and I don't think you're pulling the same numbers until you play the first couple bars of "Smoke..." and you get "oh, THAT guy.  Yep."

This is an interesting conversation.

Page has the reverence because he was in the most iconic rock band ever, save for The Beatles or The Stones. Clapton, he's stayed in the public eye because of his pop hits rather than his guitar playing. If he didn't have the hits, noone would know who he is. Hendrix..well, he is more of an pop culture icon. I mean, you can't walk by a Spencers in the mall and not see a felt Hendrix poster.

And I'm sorry, no one can name a single Harrison or Beck track. Oh, Harrison was in the Beatles. Cool. Beck, other than I'm A Loser Baby So Why Don't You Kill Me....I mean, other than People Get Ready, I couldn't name a SINGLE FUCKING Jeff Beck song, and I'm 49.

Blackmore babies want to call him underrated, but rock fans, like me, know who he is. They might know Clapton, Beck, Harrison by name, but they know Blackmore by music.

Well, for the most part I agree, but there wasn't any "R.B. is God" graffiti around London, like there was with Clapton.  He made ripples.   

I give an F, but grudgingly.  It's not what I want to see, frankly, but my god, in that setting, it's so obvious what he does with a guitar is magical.  There's no cushion of volume, of effects, of "band".   I talk about it incessantly, but watching him stand there and play - just him and a guitar - during the extended intro to "Soldier of Fortune" was just breathtaking.   (Although, say what you want about the whole gig - it's pretty ridiculous - Candice CAN sing, and she certainly still looks good doing it.  I'd just rather hear Big Ian singing.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 08:24:56 AM »
I don't know why it matters if anyone gives a F besides the man himself. I'm not even a fan, I don't listen to any of his works, but I've always deeply admired the fact that he put it all aside and pursued exactly what he loves no matter what anybody has to say about it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 08:55:36 AM »
To my eyes, Deep Purple is like soccer, more beloved and appreciated globally (esp. Europe and Asia) than they are in the United States. 

While I revere both Zeppelin and Purple, DP has a greater reputation as pure "players" than Zep and most other bands of the ilk.  There was a characteristic precision and technicality to their playing but the band were never shackled by those qualities, instead using (and abusing) their skills to push themselves and the music to the edge.  For all their impressive technicality, they played with absolute abandon.  I think fans recognized that and loved them all the more for it.

And therein lies my conundrum with Deep Purple.  I feel like their studio albums paled to their live stuff.  When I listen to their classic albums, In Rock/Fireball/Machine Head, the songs come across to me as little sketches of what they really wanted to express.  They certainly never put in the exacting care and diligence to those studio recordings that Zeppelin/Page did with their oeuvre.  The playing on Purple's studio albums is restrained and reined in.  It's only when you get to Made In Japan that you really hear them stretch themselves out and show what the band was really all about.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
I'm biased because Ritchie Blackmore is my favorite musician ever, but I feel like Deep Purple is a more successful Velvet Undergound, in that there weren't legions of fans, but those that were fans went out and formed bands of their own.

Purple was
- metal without the religious undertones;
- rock without the ridiculousness;
- prog without the pretentiousness;
- classical without the boring.

It is also worth noting that for the most part (at least with the core members) there wasn't a lot of drug-related drama, and there wasn't a lot of misogyny that came along with a band like Led Zeppelin.

Seriously? Ian Gillian always came across to me as a player. Who wrote the lyrics for Knocking? ....and half a dozen other songs I could rattle off. EDIT - Some of their songs rival even Gene Simmons’ stuff.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude