Author Topic: Mamma Mia ABBA is reuniting!  (Read 3277 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Mamma Mia ABBA is reuniting!
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:24:00 AM »
We felt all four that after 35 years it would be fun to reconnect and go back into the studio

/Agnetha, Benny, Björn and Anni-Frid
https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/musik/abba-records-first-new-music-in-35-years/

:metal

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:30:54 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: Mamma Mia ABBA is reuniting!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:31:42 AM »
Woohooo, break out the bell bottoms!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:33:39 AM »
In this industry that usually translates to "All of us are broke" but I don't know enough about the four of them to know of that applies here as well.

ABBA are legends but while Dancing Queen will get the ladies dancing at weddings like no other song, I wonder how much interests there will be in new material. I would think if it was just for the money, they would just do a tour an embrace the nostalgia act moniker. That would be a gold mine.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 05:34:06 AM »
Awesome :)  They're practically religion here in Sweden. Don't think it will be a danceable tune though, rather more like the last album they did (The Visitors).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 05:46:40 AM »
It's funny how given enough time, there's nostalgia and then a demand for basically everything. Look at Black Sabbath reuniting with Dio again and then with Ozzy again... or Ritchie Blackmore re-re-forming Rainbow after having re-formed them in 1997 after the split in 1984 to re-join Deep Purple... from Game of Thrones there's a house motto "What is dead may never die", I'd say in the music industry "What is not dead may always reunite"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:16:14 AM »
After Lindsey being "Fired" from Fleetwood, ABBA reuniting is the best.

The "LGTB" community is dancing now.

Me (being a gay man), could give two shits. But then I may finally get to see ABBA
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »
I don't really know anything about ABBA other than Dancing Queen and Lay All Your Love On Me. I've somehow seen Mamma Mia! twice and don't remember anything else. Good tunes though... wouldn't mind exploring more of their stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
It's funny how given enough time, there's nostalgia and then a demand for basically everything.

In a lot of instances, it's the economics of demographics.  Disposable income goes through phases as we age - pre-teens .. your parents will spend money on pretty much anything for you; teens... you'll spend whatever money you have on whatever pleases you; 20s... saving and/or broke (from post-secondary or starting a family); 30s... still broke; 40s ... starting to get out of the hole, less non-discretionary expenses; 50s/60s ... money to burn baby!  70s+... I burned all my money!

So, those that were in their (pre) teens/20s back in the '70s and '80s now have money to burn.  Just wait until grunge hits this 'nostalgic' phase.   :lol  I give it a couple more years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
Yeeeeaaaah!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online pg1067

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
In this industry that usually translates to "All of us are broke" but I don't know enough about the four of them to know of that applies here as well.

Well...Benny and Bjorn are quite wealthy from, among other things, royalties from Mamma Mia and the recent resurgence in interest in ABBA, and Frida (Her Serene Highness) is married to a Prince.  Don't know about Agnetha though.

The most interesting thing about this is that, if, in the mid-80s or so, a bunch of 70 year old singers were reuniting to produce no music, absolutely no one under the age of 60 would have given a shit.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
I don't really know anything about ABBA other than Dancing Queen and Lay All Your Love On Me. I've somehow seen Mamma Mia! twice and don't remember anything else. Good tunes though... wouldn't mind exploring more of their stuff.

Check out the album Arrival, which has Dancing Queen.  I wouldn't call myself an ABBA fan, but that whole album is good, with one insanely catchy song after another.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »
In this industry that usually translates to "All of us are broke"

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »

Well...Benny and Bjorn are quite wealthy from, among other things, royalties from Mamma Mia and the recent resurgence in interest in ABBA, and Frida (Her Serene Highness) is married to a Prince.  Don't know about Agnetha though.

The most interesting thing about this is that, if, in the mid-80s or so, a bunch of 70 year old singers were reuniting to produce no music, absolutely no one under the age of 60 would have given a shit.

Marketing...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »
ABBA are baked into my DNA and are the greatest pop group in history, afaic. Beyond excited by this news.  :biggrin:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online pg1067

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »

I'm now trying to figure out if this typo was a Freudian slip.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
My first favourite band! Then I discovered KISS 😀

Any metal covers of ABBA songs are always awesome. Especially this one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNYcojp03-I

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
ABBA ARE BACK with Voyage!
A brand new album out November 5 and revolutionary concert coming to London Spring 2022.  Listen to two brand new songs and pre-order the album from the official store for first access to tickets.

ABBA - Don't Shut Me Down (Lyric Video)
ABBA Voyage - Album & Concert trailer
ABBA Voyage: The Journey Is About To Begin

Quite the spectacle of a liveshow they're putting together in 2022.

Bring it on!  :metal
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 01:13:20 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 01:40:48 PM »
I very much enjoyed both the new songs. Looking forward to hearing more.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 02:36:19 PM »
ABBA... 40 years on... My first memories of pop music are ABBA (and Simon & Garfunkel). I can imagine my late mother dancing and humming along to Don't Shut Me Down. That's given me goosebumps!

The live show looks amazing.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2021, 03:55:59 PM »
 :hefdaddy
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2021, 07:40:26 PM »
"Well, there isn't an arena."
"We can build one."

That "live" show definitely looks ambitious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 09:55:52 PM »
Check out these two songs:
When I was a kid, I checked out my parents' Gold CD. And those were the two songs I loved.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 11:12:21 PM »
ABBAcadabra! The new song "Don't Shut Me Down" is magical!  :hefdaddy

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 12:14:29 AM »
I really like the two new songs, they sure do sound like ABBA (the latter days, 1980-1981) but with a modern style. There's no mistaking the heavenly voices of Frida and Agneta :)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 12:47:43 AM »
Might sound silly but I love how much ABBA it sounds. I was kinda hoping they would do a retro sounding album and not too modern sounding, this feels like a middleground.

I know Janne Schaffer is involved, wonder if they used more of the original musicians?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 03:59:57 AM »
Greatest pop group in history, with some of the finest pop songs ever written. Got to be a contender for album of the year.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 05:33:37 AM »
Might sound silly but I love how much ABBA it sounds. I was kinda hoping they would do a retro sounding album and not too modern sounding, this feels like a middleground.

I know Janne Schaffer is involved, wonder if they used more of the original musicians?

Yeah they could have gone the trap beat route with ultra compressed mumbled vocals. It's always a shame when legendary artists try to 'get hip'.

I doubt that's the case here as their GOLD collection is THE biggest selling album of all time as far as I know. Plus the two Mama Mia movies would have shifted a few units i'm sure.

Highly doubt they're broke.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »
What do all of you think about these ABBAtar concerts?

According to this BBC article, they did motion capture for a series of concerts. They wore motion capture suits and actually recorded an entire set with industrial light and magic capturing their every move. But now the concerts are going to be “virtual concerts”. With “avatars” of the band performing.

Is this the next level attempt at the failed (IMO) hologram concerts?

https://bbc.in/3jEuOq1?fbclid=IwAR1JaeUrcgvjSrQqML2c-dk8qGukXU8SBND3bZFwQ1jSO-PEYaLIpljg2ns
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »
I have no idea if it's gonna be a success but it sounds pretty ambitious, it's ILM after all. I think it's a sweet gesture to their longtime fans to be able to witness them in their prime one last time. I think because they're in their 70s they don't value themself to be important to be on stage but more about the legacy of ABBA and the music. I don't know, i'm just guessing.

You get a glimps of it here:
https://youtu.be/OE8aSnhzTfQ?t=91

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
I’m hyped. I absolutely adore ABBA’s music.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2021, 02:49:34 PM »
I’m hyped. I absolutely adore ABBA’s music.
Yea me too. The 2:30-2:55 section in Don't Shut Me Down shows how well orchestrated the music is, so many layers with texture.  :heart

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2021, 05:50:53 AM »
I have ABBA tickets!  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2021, 06:23:41 AM »
ABBA we’re my first favourite group when I was a kid. I went from them straight to KISS. I’m very over them now but their songs metal up very well. A few years ago I flirted with the idea of forming an ABBA metal tribute band 😁.

My favourite song of theirs is this beauty

https://youtu.be/qdoSy4ROZpg

And metalled up

https://youtu.be/rNYcojp03-I

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2021, 08:18:03 AM »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
What do all of you think about these ABBAtar concerts?

According to this BBC article, they did motion capture for a series of concerts. They wore motion capture suits and actually recorded an entire set with industrial light and magic capturing their every move. But now the concerts are going to be “virtual concerts”. With “avatars” of the band performing.

Is this the next level attempt at the failed (IMO) hologram concerts?

https://bbc.in/3jEuOq1?fbclid=IwAR1JaeUrcgvjSrQqML2c-dk8qGukXU8SBND3bZFwQ1jSO-PEYaLIpljg2ns

And what better band to get the peoples attention and awe than one of the biggest groups.

Are they like the first big pop group to hold a virtual concert?

But I will say, this takes nostalgia up to a new level. 

And could this pave a way for them to actually accomplish the dead artists nostalgia concerts selling marketing strategy. If this Abba thing is a hit, I could see them going more this way for the dead artists, have someone mokap or do what they did with the hologram fail and utilize old videos to make a composite of the artists dance moves and action on stage.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD