Author Topic: 70's glam rock was not popular in America while 80's glam metal was?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline WildRanger

Glam rock acts of the 70's as Bowie, Sweet, Slade, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Mott the Hoople and New York Dolls didn't achieve the mainstream success in the USA, they were more of one-hit wonder bands(but they were very big in Britain/Europe), while 80's hair(glam metal) bands were massive there. Why?
I consider 80's hair bands to be much weaker than their 70's glam predecessors.
70's glam had some social and cultural message and meaning, while 80's glam didn't have that, it was all about chicks, parties and getting drunk or stoned.

Glam rock acts were also predecessors to punk rock. Punks from the 70's liked glam rock while grunge guys from the 90's(grunge could be considered as a "child" of punk) hated glam/hair metal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Well, they both had terrible fashion, so they share that much.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jammindude

I would say that Bowie is a big time exception. But as to the other bands you mentioned, yeah.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

Now that I think of it, what was popular in the US in the first half of the 70s? That was kind of progressive rock’s heyday (the biggest stuff from Pink Floyd and Yes were huge by 1974ish) but there had to of been something else going on besides just that.

EDIT -  by the second half of the 70s we had our own version of glam rock going on with bands like Kiss and Alice Cooper. But they didn’t exist in the first half of the 70s.

Offline jammindude

Oh wait! Wasn’t that when yacht rock was all the rage? I always block that stuff out. Three Dog Night, Doobies, Loggins and Messina...etc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
70's glam rock was not popular in America while 80's glam metal was?

Correct.

Why?

Because people didn't like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, I actually never heard 80's metal referred to as "glam" metal up until a few years ago when J-Boy used the term.

I would say the most popular 70's glam metal band was the original Alice Cooper band who, by the time Billion Dollar Babies rolled around, were able to sustain an arena tour. He followed that up as a solo artist in 1975 with another arena tour.

while 80's hair(glam metal) bands were massive there. Why?

Who exactly are we talking about?
Poison? Sure, hair metal.

Motley Crue? An extension of what Alice Cooper and Van Halen were doing, but really only had one Glam style album/tour/look and that was Theater Of Pain.

Bon Jovi? I wouldn't call them glam either. Hair Metal blew up on Bon Jovi's coattails but I never considered them a "hair" band. Sure Jon Bon Jovi had big hair, and it certainly influenced a look, but their music was not what I would really call "glam"ish.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

Totally disagree with Bon Jovi not being hair metal. They were absolutely a part of that scene along with Whitesnake, Ratt, Kix, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Dokken...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Totally disagree with Bon Jovi not being hair metal. They were absolutely a part of that scene along with Whitesnake, Ratt, Kix, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Dokken...

Hmm.....

I can't...

To me, Hair Metal was a fad in the late 80's. Whitesnake were a 70's band that made one album in 1987 with John Sykes, Neil Murray, and Ainsley Dunbar. On what planet are these guys Hair Metal? Tommy Aldridge Hair Metal?? Sure they all teased their hair and Tawny's hair for the videos, but I don't know. There is nothing Hair Metal about that 1987 album. That album rocks.

If Bon Jovi is hair Metal to you, that's fine. I mean, they're on the line, but for me, I always felt their music had more levity than a typical hair metal band. And Hair Metal doesn't have any success without Bon Jovi, so I can see the argument. I don't respect Hair Metal, but I respected Bon Jovi.

Def Leppard Hair Metal?? They were a NWOBHM band that happened to release one overproduced piece of shit in 1987 that girls really dug. While Def Leppard was probably the most successful band in the late 80's in terms of sales/attendence, I will still never consider them a Hair Metal band.

Kix? They were a Baltimore bar band who tried to cash in on the hair metal scene. Respect for their early stuff, but not for the crap they did later on.

Dokken? Sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

Whitesnake were not a hair band prior to 1987. And their debut(Trouble) came out in 1978.

Offline jammindude

Re: 70's glam rock was not popular in America while 80's glam metal was?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »

Whitesnake were not a hair band prior to 1987. And their debut(Trouble) came out in 1978.

But most people had never heard of them until they “reinvented”

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
Not saying wiki is the final say, but I happen to agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glam_metal?wprov=sfti1

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »

But most people had never heard of them until they “reinvented”

Maybe that applies only to America. In Europe Whitesnake was a very famous name since the beginning of their career. They were kinda an extension of Deep Purple MK III, even two DP members(Lord and Paice) were in the early lineup.

Offline max_security

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

I guess some of those might be early glam , but definitly not as bad as it got ( Poisen , Warrant , etc. ). Kix and Wrathchild ( America whatever ) are my hometown bands and both brought it every night they played man.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Other bands listed in that article:

Night Ranger
Stryper
Autograph
Lita Ford
Black n Blue
Great White

Heck, even WASP is listed. I’m suppose they barely qualify. Their Electric Circus phase DEFINITELY, but before that they were more shock rock....but now that I think of it, maybe even that falls under the umbrella.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
You're making me nuts J Dude. :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
What? Why? I cited a source. One that we usually agree is at least 80% accurate.

???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 05:06:41 PM »
What? Why? I cited a source. One that we usually agree is at least 80% accurate.

???

Any conversation about Hair Metal makes me nuts. I blame you for having to discuss it.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »

???

Any conversation about Hair Metal makes me nuts. I blame you for having to discuss it.  :lol

That made me literally LOL

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 06:01:29 PM »
Autograph

Not relevant in any music discussion.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
Autograph

Not relevant in any music discussion.

A very rare case where I loved the single far more than I liked the band. Turn Up the Radio is a great song...but they just got lucky. (Dokken pun intended) :angel:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »
More like Turn Down The Radio.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 01:48:49 AM »
The thing about Def Leppard is that while they came out as part of the NWOBHM and they never really did the make up and hairspray thing (if you've got curly hair and you layer it then it goes big on its own), their influences very much had the British glam bands of the 70s front and centre, alongside the harder edged influences that contributed the metal early metal edge that meant they ended up with a pretty similar look and sound to what came out of the hair metal scene (and really, Pyromania and Hysteria were in the driving seat of that sound).

I'm a huge fan of the Steve Clark era Leppard (and still a fan of everything that came after) but they're a stereotypical example of a band that want to believe they're special flowers and shouldn't be lumped in with the bands that they're mostly closely associated when the reality is that history will probably just remember them as that British hair metal band with the daft name and a one armed drummer.

That said... not a hair band:

Hrm...:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:57:19 AM by Cruithne »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »

I consider 80's hair bands to be much weaker than their 70's glam predecessors.
70's glam had some social and cultural message and meaning, while 80's glam didn't have that, it was all about chicks, parties and getting drunk or stoned.

Maybe that's your answer right there.   I think it's in part because of the decade itself, rather than the music, personally, but that's me.   Also, with only a few exceptions, 70's glam wasn't stocked with "players", whereas 80's glam was.   I sort of consider 70's glam more on a par with grunge than 80's glam, even if the fashions overlap.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 09:19:34 AM »
The thing about Def Leppard is that while they came out as part of the NWOBHM and they never really did the make up and hairspray thing (if you've got curly hair and you layer it then it goes big on its own), their influences very much had the British glam bands of the 70s front and centre, alongside the harder edged influences that contributed the metal early metal edge that meant they ended up with a pretty similar look and sound to what came out of the hair metal scene (and really, Pyromania and Hysteria were in the driving seat of that sound).

I'm a huge fan of the Steve Clark era Leppard (and still a fan of everything that came after) but they're a stereotypical example of a band that want to believe they're special flowers and shouldn't be lumped in with the bands that they're mostly closely associated when the reality is that history will probably just remember them as that British hair metal band with the daft name and a one armed drummer.

That said... not a hair band:

Hrm...:

Yeah, but the interesting thing about those guys is that, while they may have been labeled NWOBHM and may have even thought about themselves that way, at least a few of them were HEAVILY into and influenced by '70s glam bands.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."