Mr. Roboto
4 (2.6%)
Man in the Wilderness
12 (7.8%)
Pieces of Eight
10 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: February 01, 2024, 06:23:09 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these Styx songs  (Read 967 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these Styx songs
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
I left off some of the biggies, to make this a little less predictable.

You can vote for up to 7.

I will go with:

Castle Walls
Man in the Wilderness
Pieces of Eight
Crystal Ball
Suite Madame Blue
Born for Adventure
Love in the Midnight

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your favorites of these Styx songs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:08 PM »
Suite Madame Blue
Lady
Babe
Snowblind
Castle Walls
Crystal Ball
The Best Of Times
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:36 PM »
What an odd list. 

I went with:

Suite Madame Blue
Boat on the River
Crystal Ball
Castle Walls
Great White Hope
Borrowed Time
Man in the Wilderness
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »
I am a tepid Styx fan and they are more of an album band than a singles band to me, so this was really hard. Suite Madame Blue is one of my favorite songs by any band and far and away my favorite Styx song, so I was tempted to just vote for that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
I know those are classic Styx songs, but I'm really digging their new album "The Mission". The songs Radio Silence, Greater Good, Red Storm, Locomotive, and The Outpost should be on this list..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »
No love for Queen of Spades?  That song is amazing.  I have no shame in loving Mr. Roboto.  It's so incredibly catchy, both musically and vocally.  I loved seeing Dennis sing that when I saw him play a few solo shows within the past 7 years.  As you can tell, I generally like the heavier, JY-sung Styx tunes.   And Crystal ball is a classic.

Queen of Spades
Suite Madame Blue
Miss America  :metal
Snowblind
Crystal Ball
Mr. Roboto
Half Penny, Two Penny

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
What an odd list. 

???

I found it an odd list because it has mega-hits (Suite Madame Blue, Queen of Spades and Best of Times) along with second tier songs and even a couple deep cuts (This Old Man and Mother Dear).

Anyway, after checking the first four on the list, I thought this would be an impossible task.  However, I ended up only clicking nine on my initial pass (although I like just about everything on this list).  I ultimately voted for:

Put Me On (a GREAT and often overlooked album opener)
Suite Madame Blue (absolute classic)
Queen of Spades (don't tell me Dennis DeYoung didn't know how to rock!)
Crystal Ball (beautiful song with a great chorus)
The Best of Times (this is the song you play if someone says to pick one song that encapsulates what Styx was)
Man in the Wilderness (I had a tough time choosing between this and Castle Walls)
Pieces of Eight (seriously underrated track that gets overshadowed by everything else on side 2 of Pieces of Eight)

The two I painfully unclicked to get down to seven were Superstars and Castle Walls.  Pretty much everything on Grand Illusion is great.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
No love for Queen of Spades?  That song is amazing.  I have no shame in loving Mr. Roboto.  It's so incredibly catchy, both musically and vocally.  I loved seeing Dennis sing that when I saw him play a few solo shows within the past 7 years.  As you can tell, I generally like the heavier, JY-sung Styx tunes.   And Crystal ball is a classic.

Queen of Spades
Suite Madame Blue
Miss America  :metal
Snowblind
Crystal Ball
Mr. Roboto
Half Penny, Two Penny

Yeah...only four votes for QoS is pretty sad.  I loved Roboto when it came out, but it fell out of favor with me pretty quickly.  Half-Penny, Two-Penny was one of my early favorites off Paradise Theater.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »
Queen of Spades barely miss the cut for me. From 1990 till probably a year or two ago, it was a top 5 Styx tune. I still love it, but have just grown to some others more. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 06:02:05 PM »
Queen of Spades barely miss the cut for me. From 1990 till probably a year or two ago, it was a top 5 Styx tune. I still love it, but have just grown to some others more.

Well...I characterized it as a "mega-hit" before seeing how few votes it had received.

For me,  QoS is probably the best song on what I think is probably Styx's best album.  Without giving it too much thought, the only songs that I think might be better are Suite Madame Blue and One with Everything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
I remember Styx playing Queen of Spades on the last tour they did with DDY back in (I think)' 97.  That was an unexpected and awesome treat.  So glad I got to see that with DDY singing, before that ass clown Gowan did his piss poor rendition of it years ago.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
love Styx,Equinox is one of favs along with Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight, i have the original gold vinyl from the 70's

I selected:

Castle Walls

Mother Dear

Superstars

Miss America

Snowblind

Great White Hope

Suite Madame Blue

- wish i could of selected more than 7, Born for Adventure and Man in the Wilderness awesome tracks

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
I love classic A&M Styx, which is what's listed here. The 7 tracks I picked were:

Man in the Wilderness (one of my all-time favorite songs)
Castle Walls
Snowblind
Borrowed Time
Suite Madame Blue
Put Me On
Crystal Ball

Seriously lacking in songs from other eras of Styx, though.

Best Thing, You Need Love, Winner Takes All, I'm Gonna Make You Feel It, Rock & Roll Feeling, Unfinished Song, and Southern Woman are all fantastic Wooden Nickel Songs.

Love is the Ritual, Show me the Way, All in a Day's Work, Edge of the Century, Homewrecker, On My Way, Paradise, Dear John, I Will be Your Witness, Brave New World, Everything is Cool, Heavy Water, Goodbye Roseland, Do Things My Way, Waiting For Our Time, These are the Times, One With Everything, Gone Gone Gone, Radio Silence, and The Red Storm are all GREAT post-reunion songs.

AND WHERE IS BLUE COLLAR MAN??

(I love Styx) :azn:
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
This Old Man...
He got no votes...

Seriously lacking in songs from other eras of Styx, though.

. . .

AND WHERE IS BLUE COLLAR MAN??

And Renegade and The Grand Illusion and Come Sail Away and Rockin' the Paradise and....

This is why some of us find some of these threads somewhat odd.  It's one thing to limit the poll to Equinox through Kilroy (there are lots of folks who've never even heard of the Wooden Nickel albums or any of the songs on those albums, with the exception of Lady), and the post-Kilroy albums almost feel like a different band.  However, the selection of songs feels almost random (maybe that's intentional).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Kev loves not putting obvious choices to see responses.  I think it's cool it's not all the standard songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
Right, because the obvious biggies like Come Sail Away, Renegade, etc. would likely dominate the voting, especially by those who only know the hits, so by including only some of them, it gives a chance to vote for and then talk about some of the less heralded tunes. 

With this poll, I was obviously going for songs from their classic era only (1975-1981).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
Right, because the obvious biggies like Come Sail Away, Renegade, etc. would likely dominate the voting, especially by those who only know the hits, so by including only some of them, it gives a chance to vote for and then talk about some of the less heralded tunes. 

With this poll, I was obviously going for songs from their classic era only (1975-1981).

I'd actually be curious to see how some of those songs would stand up here.  I suspect there are a lot of folks who wouldn't pick Come Sail Away as a top 7 track.  I also think Suite Madame Blue is as big as CSA and Renegade (but then again, I said the same thing about Queen of Spades...).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
Nah. Suite Madame Blue at one point was in that second tier of Styx songs that everyone (see: the average person) knew if they heard it on the radio, but not sure that is the case anymore.