Ghost of a Chance
18 (5.3%)
Animate
19 (5.6%)
Secret Touch
14 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: January 26, 2024, 07:30:46 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these Rush songs - Volume 2  (Read 3392 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Your favorites of these Rush songs - Volume 2
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 07:40:41 AM »
Same. The Pass is pretty chilled out Rush but it's a great song. Love it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
Agreed about The Pass, but totally disagree about Geddy's vocals.  I love all of the vocal layers on Vapor Trails. One of my favorite things about that album.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
Quite surprised to see that a POP song by Rush "The Pass" has the most votes in this poll.

A good song is a good song, no matter what genre you put it in.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 08:27:34 AM »
Quite surprised to see that a POP song by Rush "The Pass" has the most votes in this poll.

Still not sure what being a good song and The Pass have in common..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »

+1. Tons of great pop music out there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
This was particularly difficult, but here's how I voted:

Dreamline
One Little Victory
Leave That Thing Alone
The Pass
Bravado
The Garden
Animate
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »

Tim, I'm asking you to go to the emergency room right now.  I think you have a concussion.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
My Rush timeline is bizarre. I got in to late 70s Rush in the early 90s, then 90s Rush in the late 90s, then 80s Rush in... well, I never got in to 80s Rush. Anyway, at when Presto was released, The Pass was getting some radio play, and I loved it. But for the longest time I never knew who it was. I never would have thought it was the same band who produced the awesomeness that was the 2112-PW era, and was amazed when I finally heard it was indeed Rush. I still don't really think of it as a Rush song, it is so unique, and that special to me.

P/G is the dumbest abbreviation for anything, ever. Not participating in the Rush thread. Wanted to get this off my chest.

Secretly glad my greatest fear hasn't come true. 

Politicians will now be required to solely use emotion when making policy decisions?

My problem with "p/g" is that I always have to think how it goes (because the "g" is second, even though the title is "G u p".

King's tat is awesome.  As indifferent as I am to the music within, and the horrible portrait on the back, the cover is one of my favorites by any band of all time. 

Although Chris is very close, my secret fear (in this thread anyway) is that "The Garden" would have trounced the competition.  It's a good song, but only that; a good song.   Some people speak of it in reverent tones that I just don't understand. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 12:40:05 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 06:30:02 PM »
Although Chris is very close, my secret fear (in this thread anyway) is that "The Garden" would have trounced the competition.  It's a good song, but only that; a good song.   Some people speak of it in reverent tones that I just don't understand.

It's at best an average Rush song, and a big dud to close out the band's recorded career.  I will never understand why so many people seem to revere it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
^^ Well, maybe it's just something you don't have to understand and it's ok to feel that way.  That stated, if the majority thinks that The Garden is a great song to end Rush's recorded career, is that really a bad opinion to think about?  Is thinking that way make them inferior when it comes having opinions of Rush's catalog of music?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 06:28:13 AM »
The Garden is beautiful. It's as simple as that. One of their strongest songs. Gorgeous lyrics set to gorgeous music and it just sounds so fitting as the "final" song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 06:40:01 AM »

It's at best an average Rush song, and a big dud to close out the band's recorded career.  I will never understand why so many people seem to revere it.

Are you related to TAC? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 06:51:03 AM »
 :omg: :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
^^ Well, maybe it's just something you don't have to understand and it's ok to feel that way.  That stated, if the majority thinks that The Garden is a great song to end Rush's recorded career, is that really a bad opinion to think about?  Is thinking that way make them inferior when it comes having opinions of Rush's catalog of music?

I can't speak for Peter Gabriel from 1967, but I know for me, I made no value judgments.  I didn't imply that anyone's opinion is "inferior" or "superior".   I merely stated that I don't agree with it.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »

Well... the first point is well-taken, and I agree.  The second point is why I keep trying to understand what others are hearing that I'm not.  I frequently do that when I dislike or don't care for something that a large number of folks whose opinions I respect like.  When the subject of The Garden comes up and all the praise flows in, I go back and listen, but no matter how many times I've done it, I still don't hear anything special.  By the way, I do the same thing with GUP -- even after 34 years, there's always a chance that my opinion might change.

I can't speak for Peter Gabriel from 1967, but I know for me, I made no value judgments.  I didn't imply that anyone's opinion is "inferior" or "superior".   I merely stated that I don't agree with it.   

I don't honestly understand what the last question Anguyen92 asked means, but I certainly concur with this.  Opinions are neither right nor wrong or better or worse; just different.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
Or in the minority.  LOL  You're a rocker. you don't like the type of ending to an album like CA and PW has.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 11:55:38 AM »
Or in the minority.  LOL  You're a rocker. you don't like the type of ending to an album like CA and PW has.

I love Natural Science!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »

Since TAC beat me to what I was going to post....

If by "ending . . . like . . . [POW] has" you mean the entire second side, then I agree.  Mystic Rhythms isn't really any worse than anything else on side 2.  Power Windows would have been a much better album if side 2 had just been pressed blank.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
But then you leave out the greatest lyrics in Neil entire career!!! (Territories)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »

Oh boy!

The Kingshmegland call has been sounded!! :lol
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:50:40 PM by TAC »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
But then you leave out the greatest lyrics in Neil entire career!!! (Territories)

That was fast!

The lyrics to Territories are fine.  I'm sure they eventually could have found some better music to attach them to.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
Both the lyrics and music to Territories rule. I've had that song stuck in my head for literally 6 months. Those vocal melodies are infectious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
When Power Windows came out, the only song I liked was Territories.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
I think you're both High. :lol

To each his own but when you're in such a small minority (of 2!😂)  we can say you're in the wrong.

Alright come challenge me Bros, I've seen Rush 31 times.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
I heard they were going to call The Law Of Diminishing Returns the Rush Principle.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »

Well... the first point is well-taken, and I agree.  The second point is why I keep trying to understand what others are hearing that I'm not.  I frequently do that when I dislike or don't care for something that a large number of folks whose opinions I respect like.  When the subject of The Garden comes up and all the praise flows in, I go back and listen, but no matter how many times I've done it, I still don't hear anything special.  By the way, I do the same thing with GUP -- even after 34 years, there's always a chance that my opinion might change.

You and me both; I listen to p/g about twice or three times a year just in case.... and  for about 25 years, nope, nothing changed.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
I heard they were going to call The Law Of Diminishing Returns the Rush Principle.

So most of the band's you follow today? :neverusethis:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »
When I think “pop”, I think of the old American Bandstand metric. “It’s got a nice beat, and you can dance to it.” By that rule, even Pour Some Sugar on Me is pop.

I’m not seeing The Pass as a pop song.
I never thought of The Pass as being a pop song at all.  It's just a really cool Rush song!  If any song off of Presto that has a kind of pop feel to it would be Superconductor, and that's still pushing the margin a bit..  " A strong and simple beat, that you can dance to" ..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

So most of the band's you follow today? :neverusethis:

:lol :lol :lol

:tup :tup

Offline Lethean

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 04:47:37 AM »

If by "ending . . . like . . . [POW] has" you mean the entire second side, then I agree.  Mystic Rhythms isn't really any worse than anything else on side 2.  Power Windows would have been a much better album if side 2 had just been pressed blank.

Luckily for me, my copy of Power Windows only has one side. I guess I missed out on the sucky side 2, which is fine, because the 8 songs I have all rule.  ;)

So does The Garden. :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Where's my Thing
Leave that Thing Alone
Malignant Narcissism
The Main Monkey Business
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
Where's my Thing
Leave that Thing Alone
Malignant Narcissism
The Main Monkey Business

Some of Neil's best lyrical work and certainly vocal highlights for Geddy.  :)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »

I wouldn't exactly call "The Pass" a pop song.