Author Topic: My collection of (__) makes me look I don't like this band as much as I do  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The corollary of "My collection of (_______) probably makes me look like a bigger fan than I am," what band(s) that you love do you not own much of their material?

My top 4 bands are The Who, DT, Floyd, Maiden. For none of those bands do I own their whole studio discography. I am one short on DT (WDaDU) and Maiden (NPftD), and own 2 Who albums (plus a 4 disc greatest hits, a live album, and DVD) and a whopping 1 by Floyd (plus a live CD, 3 DVDs (by various members). I parted ways with a bunch of Floyd discs sometime in the 90s when 1) burned out on them and 2) needed money. I have a homemade CD of The Wall, with the extended "Empty Spaces," "When the Tigers Broke Free" and the "Outside the Wall" from the movie. But I don't own an official copy of The Wall, probably my favorite album of all time. Weird.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

Trying to think if I have any band like this.   Pretty sure the closest thing would be Maiden.   I have everything but Dance of Death and No Prayer....and I used to have VXI.   

I own everything by Rush except the CD of Snakes and Arrows Live. 
I own all studio albums from Fates, Savatage, Pink Floyd, Haken, Pain of Salvation....heck, I just became only the 2nd human being in existence to own a physical copy of every album by Odd Logic.  (two were LONG out of print, but Sean Thompson himself dug up copies from his private collection.)

OH!  Porcupine Tree.   They are easily a top 5 band for me, but I still don't own quite everything.  I'm missing physical copies of Sunday, Voyage 34, XM, XMII, and some of those rare singles I want to get my hands on. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  I just became only the 2nd human being in existence

Wow! That's impressive! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
TAC, have you heard of Odd Logic? I haven't. Unless we are talking about Liberals.  :yarr
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
On the first day, God created J-dude and Eve...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Guys...PLEASE check out Odd Logic. Their stuff is available at CDBaby. The older albums are free, but are very low production quality. Maybe about the level of Shadow Gallery’s debut. The music is still really good if you can look past the demo quality.

The new one, Effigy is freakin brilliant and sounds fantastic, and If We Were Live is also a much better sounding example.

They are recording album #8 as we speak.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Pearl Jam is the first to come to mind. I bought the first 3 and then just stopped. Floyd is probably one for me as well. My collection is spotty for them. Queen is another. I only own two Hits collections and 1 album.

Probably more, but those are the biggest to come to mind.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Ruba

Well, I don't own any Brand New records, even though they're one of my favourite bands. My local record store has never had their albums (even before Jesse Lacey was outed as a disgusting perv).

I'm actually surprised there's no Brand New thread on DTF. Maybe I should start one?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The Who comes to mind.  Alter Bridge is another (though that's my least favorite Myles Kennedy project by far).   Kris Kristofferson.   Tony Banks (LOVE the guy, but I think I have the two symphonic records and A Curious Feeling). 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll add Ayreon, whom I enjoy quite a bit, yet only have the 3CD Timeline set. I can't believe I don't own one studio album.

Offline jammindude

I'll add Ayreon, whom I enjoy quite a bit, yet only have the 3CD Timeline set. I can't believe I don't own one studio album.

Good one.   I own some of his stuff, but not as much as I'd like to

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
There's some bands I love and own everything with - they just haven't put out as much releases as others. So owning 3 albums and an EP by said band (even if it means 100% of their discography) still looks less than owning half the discography, or one third of the discography of a band like Rush that has put out 20-30 albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
David Bowie.

I think I only have the physical CD of his 2 of his records - Low and Ziggy Stardust.  He is a guy I really got into once I had moved on to buying most stuff digitally.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
This should be in the other thread....

Probably Metallica (Have 90 percent of their albums) or Queensryche after Promised Land  Last one I got I think was Mindcrime II or American Solider. I forget the order.  Maybe it was Mindcrime At The Moore. Had to eventually ask myself why I kept bothering. Love most of it from Promised Land and before though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
I somehow ended up owning a physical copy of every OSI album. They're the only band I can claim that for (not including one-off artists) and yet I'm only a pretty casual fan of them. They only have four albums to be fair, but still. :lol

EDIT: Just realized I posted in the wrong thread. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:41:16 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Tons of classic rock and metal artists. Big names mainly. Like Maiden - I only own Book of Souls for some reason. I really need to fix that. Whereas with Metallica, I actually gave away all their albums except ReLoad which nobody wanted  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PepeLePew

Queen for me.

I enjoy listening to their songs A LOT when I hear them at friends, on the radio or anywhere else. And every time I think I maybe should get a couple more CDs from them, but there always seem to be reasons to buy something else instead then...