Author Topic: Does Scandinavia rule when it comes to metal from 90's onwards?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline WildRanger

I always thought that Brits and Yanks ruled the 80's metal scene, but from the 90's onwards Scandinavians took a lead from them.
Do you agree? What you think?
Scandinavia had/have a huge and very diverse metal scene.

I personally can't stand black metal, but nearly all other forms of Scandinavian metal I can listen and like.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Does Scandinavia rule when it comes to metal from 90's onwards?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
I listen to a lot of metal from all over the world so nah

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Are you +/- 15 years old?  And when are you going to run out of daily questions?
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Drain STH is the only '90s metal band from Scandinavia I can think of that I liked.  Are there some specific bands you are thinking of?

EDIT:  @DragonAttack:  Knock off the personal attacks.  There's no reason for that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
Hammerfall!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 01:17:29 PM »
What metal?

Power metal? Definitely.

Symphonic metal? Definitely.

Straight metal? Nope.

Nu-metal? Nope.

Viking metal? Yup.

Bosk metal? Nope.

Metal is way too vague.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
"Viking metal" may be the coolest subgenre name in the history of naming subgenres.  I want to like it just for that.

Oh, and the women of Drain STH are beautiful.   

Next poll. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 01:29:00 PM »
Viking metal is cool.  But ironically, the only band in that genre that I ever listened to isn't from Scandinavia; they're from Germany.  :lol  :leaveseyes:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
Drain STH is the only '90s metal band from Scandinavia I can think of that I liked.  Are there some specific bands you are thinking of?

Nightwish

To answer the topic, yes, I defintiely think so.  I listen to a tremendous amount of Scandanavian bands.  The whole melodic death metal scene started in Gothenburg, Sweden.  Then you have the melodic/power/gothic metal stuff from Finland, Norweigan black metal. 

So those nordic countries plus Germany tend to provide many of my favorite bands:

Finland - Nightwish, Amorphis, Sentenced, Stratovarius, Poisonblack, The Dark Element

Sweden - In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, The Lurking Fear, Soilwork, The Haunted, Scar Symmetry, Soultion .45, Sabaton, Hammerfall, Arch Enemy, Candlemass, The Crown, Entomed, Bloodbath, Evergrey, Tad Morose, Inmoria, Morgana Lefay/Lefay, Nightingale

Norway - Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Covenant/Kovenant, Immortal, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:43:05 PM »
Nightwish

Well, okay, if we're including Finland.  But Finland isn't traditionally considered "Scandinavia" except by Americans, so I didn't include them. 

As for the rest of your list, I've heard of a fair number of those.  But not my thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Well, okay, if we're including Finland.  But Finland isn't traditionally considered "Scandinavia" except by Americans, so I didn't include them. 

Yay, Geography lesson!

Finland is not Scandinavia?

What about Holland?

What about the Netherlands?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
Sweden - In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, The Lurking Fear, Soilwork, The Haunted, Scar Symmetry, Soultion .45, Sabaton, Hammerfall, Arch Enemy, Candlemass, The Crown, Entomed, Bloodbath, Evergrey, Tad Morose, Inmoria, Morgana Lefay/Lefay, Nightingale

Opeth? Nah?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 02:10:58 PM »
I wouldn't say I agree, just because there's still plenty of really good metal coming out from the rest of the world that it's hard to pin point one region as being the ruler of them all.

Having said that, there's a lot of really good metal that comes out of this region.  I think I personally may like the music coming out of there than here in the US, but I wouldn't say that is representative of anything more than my own personal choices in the metal genres (power, symphonic).

"Viking metal" may be the coolest subgenre name in the history of naming subgenres.  I want to like it just for that.

I've been obsessing a bit over Sabaton this year.  They have a song called Swedish Pagans that is apparently about being on a viking ship, and when I saw them, the crowd got onto the floor and started rowing like they were all on a large ship.  Might be my concert moment of the year (certainly is so far).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »

I've been obsessing a bit over Sabaton this year.  They have a song called Swedish Pagans that is apparently about being on a viking ship, and when I saw them, the crowd got onto the floor and started rowing like they were all on a large ship.  Might be my concert moment of the year (certainly is so far).

:lol

That is awesome. Gotta search youtube for that!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 02:16:03 PM »

Yay, Geography lesson!

What about Holland?

Nope.

"Scandinavian" traditionally connotes Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, which share common linguistic and cultural backgrounds.

"Nordic" basically = the three Scandinavian countries + Finland and Iceland. 

But in any case, as I said, I have no problem including Finland for sake of the discussion.  I just hadn't originally thought that in my first post.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »

You know cramx3 has you covered  :lol https://youtu.be/dpV6bJqf8Wg?t=18m8s

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »

You know cramx3 has you covered  :lol https://youtu.be/dpV6bJqf8Wg?t=18m8s

:lol  That is amazing.  :leaveseyes:  The Metallica bit right after that is cool too.  The crowd was really into it, and that guy really knows how to work a crowd.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Cram, that is fucking awesome! Holy shit!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 03:09:36 PM »
I always thought that Brits and Yanks ruled the 80's metal scene, but from the 90's onwards Scandinavians took a lead from them.
Do you agree? What you think?

I can't think of a single hard rock/metal band from Scandinavia other than Europe (who had its one shining moment in the 80s), Opeth, and a handful of black metal bands that I've heard of only because of watching YouTube videos making fun of them (and which may or may not be Scandinavian for all I know).

So...no.

But Finland isn't traditionally considered "Scandinavia" except by Americans, so I didn't include them. 

Hold on there buddy...give us some credit!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
Are you +/- 15 years old?  And when are you going to run out of daily questions?
Do you think that new people will feel welcome around here with this kind of attitude? What's the problem with his topics? If you don't like them, don't post, ignore them. It's very simple. It is almost as if you choose to invent/create problems out of nothing.

ON TOPIC:

When it comes to Black and Death, Scandinavia rules. But lately France has taken over the Black Metal scene.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
^
Already discussed and taken care of
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
I dunno. I mean, my favorite styles of metal tend to come from Sweden and Finland (along with Germany, but... obviously that isn't Scandinavia). So maybe, in my opinion. But the subcultures that come with them make me roll my eyes so hard it hurts and I try not to get too involved with that because I like so many other styles of music
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
Scandinavia totally rules.  It doesn't mean other countries/regions don't also rule though... :)  But I do seem to have a pretty high percentage of Scandinavian bands in my list of albums, so I would say yes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 03:49:51 PM »
Sabaton is the best them.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »

Yay, Geography lesson!

What about Holland?

Nope.

"Scandinavian" traditionally connotes Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, which share common linguistic and cultural backgrounds.

"Nordic" basically = the three Scandinavian countries + Finland and Iceland. 

But in any case, as I said, I have no problem including Finland for sake of the discussion.  I just hadn't originally thought that in my first post.

Easily remembered:  there is no "F" or "H" in "Scandinavian". 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
I forgot to post this pic:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
I would like to see similar maps for:

-Number of metal bands per 1 million people that a significant number of people have heard of

-Number of metal bands per 1 million people that a significant number of people actually like

I suspect the decimal point would move about 3 or 4 spots to the left for those Scandinavian countries.

On an unrelated note, I find it funny that Finland all by itself has over half as many as all four Scandinavian nations combined.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 12:49:40 PM »
I forgot to post this pic:

The point being???

Also,

GAAAAAAHHHHHLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
I wonder what the number is for the US.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »

26,380 "entries" (which is not limited to "Active" bands and may include duplicates).  Using Wikipedia's 2017 population estimate of 325,719,178 would make the number 81 bands per million people.

By way of comparison, the number for Greenland would be 161 (based on 9 bands and a 55,877 population estimate).

The current number of "entries" for Finland is 3,774.  Using the Wikipedia "2017 official" population of 5,513,000 gives us 684.6 bands per million people.  That tells me that this map is was created using the "entries" number, which means it's bullshit because it includes bands that don't currently exist.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »

26,380 "entries" (which is not limited to "Active" bands and may include duplicates).  Using Wikipedia's 2017 population estimate of 325,719,178 would make the number 81 bands per million people.

By way of comparison, the number for Greenland would be 161 (based on 9 bands and a 55,877 population estimate).

The current number of "entries" for Finland is 3,774.  Using the Wikipedia "2017 official" population of 5,513,000 gives us 684.6 bands per million people.  That tells me that this map is was created using the "entries" number, which means it's bullshit because it includes bands that don't currently exist.

But a band's recorded work doesn't disappear into thin air if that band is no longer active. 

Should Dissection (Sweden) be discounted just because the singer committed suicide and they aren't active anymore?  Their recorded work still remains and they were a Swedish band that existed at one time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
...which means it's bullshit because it includes bands that don't currently exist.

Well, yeah, that's fairly obvious.  And probably includes garage bands, tribute bands, cover bands, etc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »

But a band's recorded work doesn't disappear into thin air if that band is no longer active. 

Should Dissection (Sweden) be discounted just because the singer committed suicide and they aren't active anymore?  Their recorded work still remains and they were a Swedish band that existed at one time.

The point is that coming up with a "number of bands per million residents" that includes bands that haven't been active for over 30 years as compared to a relatively current population estimate is nonsensical.  Also, it isn't limited to bands that have released recorded material.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 05:34:19 AM »
That map has a confusing metric. Iceland has 341 bands per million people, however the population of the country is not even 400k. You take that into account and those numbers are awfully deceptive. Doing simple math, Finland says 630, their population is about 5 million people so their total would be 3150 bands. Meanwhile UK shows only 68, but since their population is 66 million, their total should be 4488 bands.
Do Scandinavian countries have more metal bands per person that any other country? Yes
Does that mean that they are the gods of metal? Probably not. How many of those bands make it on a national level, not even international? Probably very few.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.