Author Topic: Rant about Blu-ray players and the Internet  (Read 1341 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Rant about Blu-ray players and the Internet
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
So I picked up Thor: Ragnarok today on Blu-ray.

Pop in the Blu-ray, it won't play. Black screen. For twenty minutes I try cleaning the spotless brand new disc anyway, and checking it for scratches, and unplugging and restarting the player because it won't open the tray or power off properly. Getting frustrated, I realize they connect to the Internet. So I try to update the firmware - apparently I never connected it to my network, because why would I, it's a god damn video player. So I've been sitting here for twenty more minutes trying to connect to my network, with all the proper information and perfect signal strength, and it won't connect. So now I can't update my Blu-ray player for it to perform the one task that it exists to do, to play a damn movie.

I'm ranting because I really hate how the Internet just has to be a part of everything. This is really irritating. The worst part? I also bought Spider-man: Homecoming, too, and I can't watch that, either. I just want to watch a movie. Why in the hell do I need to update the player just to play video? This is why people still pirate...

EDIT: On the umpteenth try, of course after I make this thread, the thing finally connects, and I'm updating. Holy crap, dude. How ridiculous...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 07:05:45 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline faizoff

Re: Rant about Blu-ray players and the Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:22:29 PM »
I too have my player disconnected from the internet because I don't care to utilize any BD-Live features, I just use it on very rare occasions to download the firmware. That said all my bluray watching is done on my computer via Cyberlink PowerDVD. I think I remember one of my blurays asking to validate something on the internet. Don't remember which disk.

But yeah I agree, not everything needs to be connected to the internet for it to work.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
I'd go to a pawn shop and buy a used PS3. It'll be the best blu-ray player you've ever had.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:30:06 AM »
I'd go to a pawn shop and buy a used PS3. It'll be the best blu-ray player you've ever had.

I regret selling mine at this point.  :yeahright

On a positive note, Thor: Ragnarok was freaking awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
I use my PS4. Amazingly it finally decides to play them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
It's a great irony that technology to make sure you actually bought something makes using that thing such a pain in the ass it's easier just to steal it in the first place.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »
I don't understand why a stand alone blu-ray player would require an update to play a blu-ray.  I would think the function should work regardless since that's what it was designed to do the day you purchased it.  I could understand if some new features became available and say, you couldn't use those features until you updated, but to completely not work because of this is a real PITA. 

I haven't touched my xbox1 in years.  My mom brought over a DVD a few months ago, and I popped it into the xbox to watch.. and I needed to not only update the xbox, but update the app for the dvd player.  I just popped it into my PS2 instead.   Such a headache for a simple task.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
I don't understand why a stand alone blu-ray player would require an update to play a blu-ray.  I would think the function should work regardless since that's what it was designed to do the day you purchased it.  I could understand if some new features became available and say, you couldn't use those features until you updated, but to completely not work because of this is a real PITA. 

I haven't touched my xbox1 in years.  My mom brought over a DVD a few months ago, and I popped it into the xbox to watch.. and I needed to not only update the xbox, but update the app for the dvd player.  I just popped it into my PS2 instead.   Such a headache for a simple task.

Exactly. I don't understand what is different about a relatively new movie on Blu-ray versus The Shawshank Redemption Blu-ray copy I picked up a few years ago. Why does the entire player need an update to do the one thing it was made for? I love technology and am around it all day but sometimes I do not want to mess with a device connected to the Internet.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 01:12:39 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the modern players are sending data back about your viewing habits.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:52 AM »
Everything these days seems to need a damn internet connection, atleast to update it's firmware but even after that it might not work properly unless you have a connection.  :-\
It's a very annoying thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
This is one advantage of being a caveman who is still relying on dvds.  ;D