Author Topic: New TV Advice  (Read 810 times)

Offline kaos2900

New TV Advice
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
I'm looking for some TV advice. We're moving into our new house soon and I have nice big basement to get a decent theater set up going. I'm trying to find something that has good picture quality but also a good size that is decently priced. My criteria is below:

Size: 65 inch minimum
Quality: must have 4k support
Brand: Prefer Samsung, Vizio, or LG
Price: Max is $3000

This will primarily be used for gaming and movies through a Xbox One X.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: New TV Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
I can't recommend Vizios enough. We have 4 in our house, two of which are 55" or greater. I've never had a problem with any of them. My only complaint is the sound not being that great, but from my experiences elsewhere, that's the case for all thin TVs, not just vizios.

I wouldn't worry too much about how good the "smart" UI functionality is. It's okay on the Vizios, but I put a Firestick on every TV anyway which I find to be a far superior option. My parents have Samsung TVs and I find their interfaces to be garbage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06:32 AM »
I've always been a go hard for Samsung, but my latest Samsung TV is not the greatest and I feel my older Panasonic is still to this day significantly better than my Samsung.  At a 3k price point though, you are going to be able to get a really nice TV, but honestly, I don't think I'd spend more than $1k anymore.  (My 60 inch Panasonic was $1200 about 5 years ago).

Also, for 4k and video gaming you are going to want to make sure the TV has HDR specs.  I don't know much about this since I haven't been on the market for a 4k TV, but I understand if you get a cheaper TV it might not be the best for gaming because of the HDR.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
I put a Firestick on every TV anyway which I find to be a far superior option. My parents have Samsung TVs and I find their interfaces to be garbage.

The Amazon fire stick? I have that and I hate it. The homescreen is a laggy mess of advertisements for Amazon related services, and I have to restart the thing about twice a week because the UI slows to a crawl (and it's not exactly quick to begin with) and even Netflix streaming will start skipping. I have only ever installed two apps on it (Netflix and Spotify) so I'm sure it is all the Amazon garbage slowing it down.

It was fine on an older version of the OS but at some point Amazon felt it wasn't loaded up with enough bloatware so they added a lot and completely fucked its performance. Whenever anyone asks me about it I just tell them to get a Chromecast instead. :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
I put a Firestick on every TV anyway which I find to be a far superior option. My parents have Samsung TVs and I find their interfaces to be garbage.

The Amazon fire stick? I have that and I hate it. The homescreen is a laggy mess of advertisements for Amazon related services, and I have to restart the thing about twice a week because the UI slows to a crawl (and it's not exactly quick to begin with) and even Netflix streaming will start skipping. I have only ever installed two apps on it (Netflix and Spotify) so I'm sure it is all the Amazon garbage slowing it down.

It was fine on an older version of the OS but at some point Amazon felt it wasn't loaded up with enough bloatware so they added a lot and completely fucked its performance. Whenever anyone asks me about it I just tell them to get a Chromecast instead. :lol

That's weird. I don't experience those issues at all and have them completely loaded up with applications and Kodi.