Author Topic: Things you would like to improve about yourself  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Things you would like to improve about yourself
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
I for one make snap judgements and react very quickly with excessive anger when I feel like someone has wronged me. And not like, oh I got cut off in traffic. I mean, like something a little more personal.

But anyway, lately I've been trying to just walk away from stuff and chill out a little bit before making a decision about how to deal with a situation. I'm not successful all the time, but I feel like the results are better that way.

How about you guys?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Things you would like to improve about yourself
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »
Handle situations that change more fluidly.

Having a family obviously things change a lot and often....plans don't always pan out. But as a person, I'm very detailed so being on time and sticking to a schedule or the 'plans' are something I take serious.

So in instances when things change my initial reaction isn't the best.....and it takes me a bit to switch directions. I've been getting better at it as I've aged but I know it's still something I need to work on.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
So in instances when things change my initial reaction isn't the best.....and it takes me a bit to switch directions. I've been getting better at it as I've aged but I know it's still something I need to work on.
That's actually one area I've improved remarkably on. Granted, in my head I'm still pissed off, but it never makes it to my face or mouth.

I would really love to develop good financial habits and responsibilities. I've always sucked at money, and I know it's a matter of discipline more than anything, something I also sorely lack.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:37:42 PM »
That's actually one area I've improved remarkably on. Granted, in my head I'm still pissed off, but it never makes it to my face or mouth.

Man....I'm working on getting there. I'm MUCH better than I once was but still have plenty of room for improvement.

I would really love to develop good financial habits and responsibilities. I've always sucked at money, and I know it's a matter of discipline more than anything, something I also sorely lack.

You and me both. The thing is, I do pretty good but know that I could be saving so much more money....or at least doing more constructive things with it. I mean.....I bought an (8) pack of silly putty on AMAZON a few weeks ago. Because who doesn't need an (8) pack of silly putty?  :lol  I make bone head purchases like that all the time. Sure they are small in $$$ amount but they add up over a month.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
Handle situations that change more fluidly.

Having a family obviously things change a lot and often....plans don't always pan out. But as a person, I'm very detailed so being on time and sticking to a schedule or the 'plans' are something I take serious.

This is me and was thinking the exact same thing.  I am so regimented with being on a schedule and when things change, specifically for the worst, I get really stressed and worked up.  It ends up with me being really negative instead of just proceeding to move on.  It takes some time before I recover and feel "OK".  I don't know why I struggle with handling change.  It's mostly at work this comes out, but sometimes in personal life like something as simple as my GF saying she  wants to change our plans an hour before we are supposed to do something and I get really worked up over it when it's really not a big deal.  I really struggle with just accepting the change and moving on.  I don't know how to work past it sometimes.  Yesterday was a good example with a sudden change in direction on what I was working on, but I managed to keep my composure and just sucked it up, but on the inside I was so angry.

One other thing I'd love to improve is my socialability I guess I will put it as.  Essentially I am shy and always have been.  I"ve greatly improved in this area over the last 5 years, but I still have a lot of room to grow with expressing my thoughts and feelings as well as just general socializing.  I've always been a tad awkward, especially in large groups and more specifically in large groups of people I don't know.  Going to a friend's party where I won't know anyone has always been a struggle for me to enjoy.  I typically end up becoming really quiet and keep to myself.  This happens at work events too, where it's a bit more important that I socialize, but I struggle.  I've forced myself into certain situations where I would have to socialize to help combat this issue, but it's still a struggle and something that if I improved upon, I could probably elevate myself a lot professionally.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
I'm bad with money, I'm bad at self discipline, and I'm bad at socializing. Well, the first two I would love to change, the third not so much.

I'm in the middle of trying to permanently quit weed, so, there's that. Baby steps.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »
I always take things negatively. I need to fix that.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
I'm in the middle of trying to permanently quit weed, so, there's that. Baby steps.

I won't be a good influence if we cross paths at PPUSA then  :lol  but if it's affecting your life, it's for the best to stop.  At least the withdrawal symptoms (for me at least) are just trouble sleeping the first night or two after stopping.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:11:44 PM »
The satisfaction I get from eating copious amounts of food.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »

I won't be a good influence if we cross paths at PPUSA then  :lol  but if it's affecting your life, it's for the best to stop.  At least the withdrawal symptoms (for me at least) are just trouble sleeping the first night or two after stopping.

Last night was really rough sleeping. Also, PPUSA will be party time, so I'm making an exception for that.  :hat It's just a combination of wanting to save money for other things this year, as well as needing to concentrate on studying for a career I want. Otherwise it's extremely useful for me as far as battling social anxiety and forcing myself to eat since I have a self-image problem. Kind of goes hand in hand with the self discipline; if I can teach myself to use it responsibly again, then I'll consider bringing it back into the mix. Over the years it just got out of control.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »
Yea I hear ya, more power to you for taking control of it. 

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 04:29:42 AM »
Didn't realise people were going to be saying serious things... Mine is mostly, like, I wish my facial hair was the same color as the hair on my head.

But more seriously, I wish I was a bit more outgoing and confident. I don't have social anxiety or anything but I tend to be slow to open up to new people

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 05:30:23 AM »
Might sound weird, but I want to be busier than I already am. I find that I am the most productive and actually also the happiest version of myself if I have a lot on my plate. From school straight to work straight to a party, and school on the next day, that kind of stuff. In moderation of course, I don't want to completely destroy my body, but I find that if I take rest days it's usually out of laziness and not because I 'need' a whole rest day, and then I find that I get absolutely nothing done on those days.

....and I want to smoke less weed :lol but I think those 2 objectives go hand in hand so it's fine
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »
With what's happened recently I need to improve my health and only I can do that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
I wish I had a smaller penis.   :lol

Seriously though, one thing I constantly have to work on is not interrupting people in the middle of conversations - both personally and professionally.  With mrs.jingle, I do it because otherwise I'd rarely get a word in and/or by the time I wait for a pause from her train of speak, 17 different topics have passed in the conversation and I forget what I wanted to say.   :lol

Eye contact is my other struggle.  It just feels uncomfortable (and creepy sometimes) to stare at someone for longer than 10 seconds or so - but I have to force myself to do it. It's easy enough to dart around from person-to-person during a conversation with multiple people, but when it's one-on-one, it's hard for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
Being at ease speaking in front of a group.

Being better at remembering people's names after meeting them.

Being more 'glass half full' than 'glass half empty'.

Spending less time on the internet.   :-X
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad