Poll

Which band was more influential on Dream Theater: Rush or Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?

Rush
83 (92.2%)
Black Sabbath
0 (0%)
Iron Maiden
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: Which band was more influential on Dream Theater: Rush or Sabbath or Maiden?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline pg1067

Like any good band, their influences showed early on and then were combined into a unique DT sound.  However, DT has readily admitted to doing some songs or parts of songs as overt nods to their influences.

The bass line at the beginning of Home is apparently very reminiscent of Tool, and there's a Rush/Freewill section in Dance of Eternity.
Solitary Shell sounds to me VERY much like Rabin era Yes, and the guitar intro to About to Crash Reprise has a clear Styx vibe.
The synth solo in Octavarium and the solo in Along for the Ride both are nods to Keith Emerson
As mentioned, Looking Glass is an intentionally and overtly "Rushy" sounding song, and I think the bass part in the Pursuit of Truth section of Illumination Theory is reminiscent of Cygnus X-1, Book I.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
What Would Rush Do?

That was my guess but the part about Petrucci & WWRD threw me off. Other than The Looking Glass, I don't see him trying to emulate Rush all that much.

I wouldn't say "emulate" is the right word.  But a heavy Rush influence has been present from the band's inception.  I think it just varies in terms of how obvious it is.  I hear a LOT of Rush on WDADU.  And I don't think various fans making Rush connections on various albums on throughout the entire timeline is a coincidence.  To me, after WDADU, it was pretty subtle until recently.  I hear it a lot on DT12, most prominently on The Looking Glass, as you mentioned, and Surrender To Reason.  And of course, TA draws inspiration from 2112.  So lots of Rush on the last two albums.

Big fail for Herrick. I forgot about The Astonishing. There's even a post on here somewhere where I criticized the concept of The Astonishing for being too much like 2112.

As mentioned, Looking Glass is an intentionally and overtly "Rushy" sounding song, and I think the bass part in the Pursuit of Truth section of Illumination Theory is reminiscent of Cygnus X-1, Book I.

Ah good call about Cygnus X-1 and that bass part in Illumination Theory.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Setlist Scotty

It's not just the musical influence that JP (and DT by extension) use when it comes to WWRD - it applies to many different things, which is why I included the comments about the rotating setlists and live click track. Other stuff includes using Hugh Syme for album artwork, the presentation of the band live (lighting, video, etc) and I'd imagine even the behind-the-scenes stuff of running the business end of the band. Rush is/was a very successful band that JP respects highly, so when faced with a situation/problem/dilemma, he is likely to ask himself WWRD and generally follow what he knows or thinks they would do.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DT2003

Definitely Rush. Songs from the Majesty days and parts of When Dream and Day Unite have a heavy Rush feel to me.

Online goo-goo

For me, it feels like the classic DT sound is more Rush influenced than the other two. However, when things get heavy, seems like they are more influenced by Maiden.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
Of the 3 bands listed, it's obvious and well-known that Rush is the most influential for them.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
I don’t think any member has ever mentioned Sabbath as being an influence. Rush, Metallica, Yes, Maiden, and Marillion seem to cover it.

I'd add Pink Floyd, Kansas and a bit of Deep Purple.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline jclrascal

Hey guys, after about 5 years of just being a "lurker", I am now an official registered member of this board and thought I would create my first post!  Just as an FYI, I have been a DT fan since 1992 and hearing IAW for the first time so I am not a rookie in that regard...have also been fortunate enough to see them live now 3 times including 2nd row center seats on TA tour in 2016 and front row seats for this past IAW 25th anniversary tour...

As far as "influences" on DT, as most of us know, they are quite varied and the list is long which is why their sound is so unique and hard to categorize.  Here's how I would classify their influences:

PRIMARY INFLUENCES

1.  Rush
2.  Iron Maiden
3.  Metallica
4.  Pink Floyd
5.  Queensryche
6.  Yes

SECONDARY INFLUENCES

1.  Deep Purple
2.  Queen
3.  Marillion
4.  Genesis
5.  Kansas
6.  The Who

While their songwriting and sound is a melting pot of all of these bands, they also draw from a whole bunch of other bands as well but I believe these are their top dozen collective influences...

Offline Sycsa

I've never seen it mentioned, but I always thought Kansas was an influence. In my view, the way Kansas fused straightforward hard rock with prog is quite similar to how DT fused metal with prog. No other prog band had that riffy classic rock edge that Kansas did. It's complex, but instantly accessible. Like DT.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I think you forgot the song that followed "In The Flesh?" on the Big Medley on ACOS ;)

Online Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Hey guys, after about 5 years of just being a "lurker", I am now an official registered member of this board and thought I would create my first post!  Just as an FYI, I have been a DT fan since 1992 and hearing IAW for the first time so I am not a rookie in that regard...have also been fortunate enough to see them live now 3 times including 2nd row center seats on TA tour in 2016 and front row seats for this past IAW 25th anniversary tour...

As far as "influences" on DT, as most of us know, they are quite varied and the list is long which is why their sound is so unique and hard to categorize.  Here's how I would classify their influences:

PRIMARY INFLUENCES

1.  Rush
2.  Iron Maiden
3.  Metallica
4.  Pink Floyd
5.  Queensryche
6.  Yes

SECONDARY INFLUENCES

1.  Deep Purple
2.  Queen
3.  Marillion
4.  Genesis
5.  Kansas
6.  The Who

While their songwriting and sound is a melting pot of all of these bands, they also draw from a whole bunch of other bands as well but I believe these are their top dozen collective influences...

Cool and welcome. What took you so long to sign up  :biggrin:
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pg1067

PRIMARY INFLUENCES

1.  Rush
2.  Iron Maiden
3.  Metallica
4.  Pink Floyd
5.  Queensryche
6.  Yes

SECONDARY INFLUENCES

1.  Deep Purple
2.  Queen
3.  Marillion
4.  Genesis
5.  Kansas
6.  The Who

I don't necessarily disagree with any of these, but these lists omit artists like Al DiMeola and Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse.  While these might be more specifically influences on Petrucci, that necessarily makes them influences on the band.  I recall playing Metropolis Pt. 1 for a friend back in late 92-early 93.  He specifically commented that the middle instrumental section was reminiscent of the Dregs.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Sycsa

I think you forgot the song that followed "In The Flesh?" on the Big Medley on ACOS ;)
I knew they covered Carry on Wayward Son (and Paradox, too - too bad for that weak organ tone), but I meant that I never saw Kansas cited as an influence, either by the band or by the press/fans. But I guess covering two of their songs is proof enough of influence.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jammindude

Where’s the Earth, Wind and Fire option?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Where’s the Earth, Wind and Fire option?

You think EW&F are a greater influence on DT than Rush or Maiden? Or do you just hear some of their influence and like them best?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anxiety35

When I first heard DT (Images & Words) I thought it was a combination of Rush and Metallica, except for LaBrie's vocals. Since then, there's always been more of a hint of Rush and Metallica in their music although it is clear there are many more influences.

I'd say another bing influence is Pink Floyd.