Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows - No 1 single of all time on RateYourMusic?  (Read 569 times)

Offline WildRanger

I think those two Beach Boys songs are great but I'm quite surprised the single is ranked highest on the RYM singles chart.
What would you say about this? How would you rate these two tunes (or this single) in your book? Do they sound musically groundbreaking and influential? Discuss.

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=single&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
it's the collective opinion of a few thousand people
the singles charts on RYM don't hold much weight because nobody cares about them, at least not nearly as much as albums

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
There are some cool singles in the top 15 like the Radiohead, Bowie, and Kate Bush ones. Didn't know When You Sleep was so loved, mediocre track.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Yeah, that's the same site that has Radiohead as two of the top five albums of all time, so it is a bullshit measure right out the gate.   

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
HOWEVER if those two Beach Boys songs are considered the greatest singles ever, I wouldn’t disagree!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
HOWEVER if those two Beach Boys songs are considered the greatest singles ever, I wouldn’t disagree!

Except they may not be the best BEACH BOYS single ever (that might be "Good Vibrations").

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think everybody knows that the two greatest singles ever are We Built This City and Careless Whisper, but those songs by the Beach Boys are great choices as well.

I believe both Paul McCartney and Steven Wilson, at one time or another, considered God Only Knows the greatest song ever written.