Poll

Is a band Aerosmith in the same league with British classic rock greats?

Yes
15 (31.3%)
No
33 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Is a band Aerosmith in the same league with British classic rock greats?  (Read 4877 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Is a band Aeromith in the same league with British classic rock greats?
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 09:08:41 PM »
Chuck, I have a strange fascination with your avatar. I cannot stop watching it, but it terrifies me. It also makes some of your posts way funnier than they should be.
It's Fenriz! I used to have that avatar on my last.fm account for a long time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:55:04 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Architeuthis

Just Push Play is a pretty dull album outside of a couple tracks.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

Had to look it up.   Music From Another Dimension is what that album was called.   Only sold a little over 100,000 units.   Ouch.   Even in todays market, that’s pretty bad for a band like Aerosmith.   Considering Just Push Play still sold a million.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I quite like Aerosmith but nope.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 05:05:41 AM »
I swear I was born in the wrong country.

It’s just hard for me to take American bands seriously because they are all blues based, simplistic, and tend to play it safe and repeat themselves.

British bands tend to be more experimental (except the Stones), adventurous, jazz based...etc...etc

That’s why I almost never put American bands on the same level as the Brits.

I will say that Aerosmith is a bit like an American Rolling Stones...and I would say even better. So I guess they get a pass for that reason.

That's not entirely true.
Artists that prove this wrong: Steely Dan, CSNY, Eagles, Kansas, Rush, Beach Boys, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan.
I could continue with loads of younger bands.

I'm also a bigger fan of Brit rock that American rock, but they are not all simplistic, and repeat themselves.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
They're a greatest hits band for me, but there's no denying that they belong on the same pedestal as some of the other great rock bands of their era(s).  I've seen them live twice (9 Lives Tour & Just Push Play Tour) and they were fantastic both times.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I've seen Aerosmith live, and they totally kill it.  I've been a fan since the 70's (Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, etc.) so none of what happened in the 80's or beyond really matters that much to me.  They made cheesy videos, they sold out, whatever.  They rock hard, they bring the swagger and lust, they are an American Band.  Like Deep Purple, they're one of my go-to bands when I want some good old-fashioned Rock and Roll, non-Prog.

All that said, I still can't put them in the same league as some of the top British bands, who somehow still take it to the next level.  I can't even think of anything specific that defines what I've just said; there's just this "feeling" that they're "just an American band".

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

It’s just hard for me to take American bands seriously because they are all blues based, simplistic, and tend to play it safe and repeat themselves.

British bands tend to be more experimental (except the Stones), adventurous, jazz based...etc...etc

I will say that Aerosmith is a bit like an American Rolling Stones...and I would say even better. So I guess they get a pass for that reason.

Artists that prove this wrong: Steely Dan, CSNY, Eagles, Kansas, Rush, Beach Boys, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan.

I'm also a bigger fan of Brit rock that American rock, but they are not all simplistic, and repeat themselves.

Good point....but I would absolutely NOT put the Eagles on that list. I enjoy some of their stuff...and I even went on an Eagles “kick” as a teenager (had every album) ...but they are the very definition of overrated, formula, simplistic, and just plain boring. Ridiculous that that band is as huge as they are.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 01:48:37 PM »

Good point....but I would absolutely NOT put the Eagles on that list. I enjoy some of their stuff...and I even went on an Eagles “kick” as a teenager (had every album) ...but they are the very definition of overrated, formula, simplistic, and just plain boring. Ridiculous that that band is as huge as they are.

I don't rate Eagles high in my book. They were OK, had a few really good songs/singles, but that's it, generally their music was never something special.
I always thought The Doors are the greatest American band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Man, I personally rate the Eagles very high.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline max_security

After many years ( 3 decades or so ) of ignoring Aerosmith I was slowly trying to get on board with their early stuff. And then I saw the Kansas documentary and am now firmly back to my original position .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Random thoughts from this thread:

- I respect what the Eagles have done, but I really can't stand them (especially Glenn Frey; I saw them on the Hell Freezes Over tour, and the show ground to a halt when he did his solo crap; Joe Walsh kills it though)

- Done With Mirrors is EXCELLENT; my favorite on there is "Reason A Dog", but it's all pretty good.

- Right In The Nuts is my favorite A-smith album; only Toys and Get Your Wings are close

- I like a lot of the post-drug era, but it's different. It's like listening to On Through The Night and Hysteria.   Or Destroyer and Animalize.

- Just Push Play has some great melodies but the songs are really missing something; it's a cold album, and Aerosmith's charm was always their heat.    Joe Perry hates that record.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
- Just Push Play has some great melodies but the songs are really missing something; it's a cold album, and Aerosmith's charm was always their heat.    Joe Perry hates that record.

He has pretty much acquiesced to Tyler.

I'm not sure I have heard any of JPP, but was given a copy of Music From Another Dimension, and I literally couldn't get through half of it.

Post drugs...there's a lot of great stuff on Permanent Vacation, Get A Grip, and especially Pump.

My Aerosmith Top 5:

1. Night In The Ruts
2. Done With Mirrors
3. Get Your Wings
4. Rocks
5. Rock In A Hard Place
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
After many years ( 3 decades or so ) of ignoring Aerosmith I was slowly trying to get on board with their early stuff. And then I saw the Kansas documentary and am now firmly back to my original position .

What's the connection there?  Did Aerosmith come up in the Kansas documentary?

Offline jammindude

So no one had even head Music From Another Dimension? Was it that bad?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Yes.  Kansas opened for them on a tour and Steven Tyler trying pulling the plug on them at several shows, since they were killing it and Tyler is one of those insecure douches he hates an opening act doing well.  Eventually, Robby Steinhardt (see: a huge man) got in his face and told him not to try that again...and he never did. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Hilarious story.

Man, I personally rate the Eagles very high.   

A wise man once called the Eagles "The rock band for people who hate rock." They had some good songs, and I appreciate they had a style, and allowed it to evolve with the times and the line-up changes. A wise man also once said "The Eagles are the only band to screw each other more than Fleetwood Mac." Notwithstanding, I don't have any thoughts on any of the guys personally. I'm never going to go out of my way to listen to them, and their heavy rotation on my classic rock station has burned me out on their hits.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I get that. Let's be honest we all have those bands that are very famous that we don't like, they just don't click with us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

So no one had even head Music From Another Dimension? Was it that bad?

Apparently, it was bad enough to turn an Aerosmith thread into an Eagles thread.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I saw Aerosmith a handful of times between 1986 and 1990. Honestly, I never thought they were that great live, although the Pump stage was awesome.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robbob

I think they're up there with Purple, UFO and other similar level Brit bands. But, not The Beatles, Zep or The Who.

Agree with many folks here, Done with Mirrors is very good. It's Aerosmith playing what they should be, not really what came after. 
Drug Era is obviously better, i'll go back and listen to the 1st LP or Toys any day but rarely will re-listen to Permanent Vacation or Pump.

Sweet Emotion is one of my all time favorite songs. The riffs and groove in that song is undeniable, love it.

One negative is that yeah, Steven Tyler is a douche!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
To this day, I have a crush on the blonde in the black bikini in the "Love In An Elevator" video. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Yes.  Kansas opened for them on a tour and Steven Tyler trying pulling the plug on them at several shows, since they were killing it and Tyler is one of those insecure douches he hates an opening act doing well.  Eventually, Robby Steinhardt (see: a huge man) got in his face and told him not to try that again...and he never did. :lol :lol

:lol That's awesome!  I mean, dick move for Tyler, I'm glad he got told how it is.

Offline Fritzinger

I love the Eagles. Frey and Henley have written fantastic melodies, and both Felder and Walsh are superb guitarists that somehow complete each other (hope I can say it like this in English). Plus, they have the best vocal harmonies ever in my opinion.

They did not just write a couple of good single hits. Hotel California is a great album from start (the famous title track) to finish (the epic Last Resort with its very interesting lyrics). In between, there are beautiful songs such as Wasted Time with its orchestral reprise on side two and Pretty Maids All In A Row, a often forgotten gem and personal favorite of mine.
The Long Run album is just as good in my opinion! Timothy B Schmid adds great vocals both in the harmony department and the lead vocals (I Can't Tell You Why is awesome).

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Aerosmith is one of the best live bands I've seen.

Done With Mirrors is very mediocre.

The post drug stuff is as good and sometimes even better than their earlier stuff, especially Pump and Get A Grip.

Music From Another Dimension is a good record but a little bit too long and has one or two ballads to much. Still worth a listen.

I like Aerosmith better than the Stones, the Beatles and the Who, but don't know if they are as influential.

PS: The Eagles are solid and The Doors are terrible.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline WildRanger

The Doors are terrible.

If they're terrible then how they achieved such a legendary status worldwide? Only a few American classic rock acts made it big and achieved a legendary status in Europe as they did in their homeland and The Doors are one very good example for that band.
I'm an European Aerosmith fan, but unlike The Doors Aerosmith is a band who didn't achieve a legandary status in Europe(as they have in the USA) and they didn't make a big impact here, because they failed to crack Europe at their best, classic period - 70's(Toys and Rocks are big classics in America but most of European rock public are not even familiar with those two gems).

Offline jammindude

Now I know you're just doing it on purpose. 

I know the Eagles are catchy and all.   But the Doors were groundbreaking.   I respect them more than any other rock band if only for what they did to Ed Sullivan.   

Offline Kwyjibo

Do I have to make it clear that this is my personal opinion?

I don't care about influential and everything, I just can't listen to a Doors song without thinking that it's just boring me to tears.

Offline jammindude

Ok.  Your musical experience is based strictly on what you hear coming out of the speakers with no context.  That's cool.    Everyone is different.   To each his own.   

Offline Kwyjibo

So you not liking The Eagles is okay but me not liking The Doors is not, because context?

Okay, carry on, I'm outta here.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
If you take into account the 'musical impact/influence' a band has had and blindly add points for that I feel like you are letting history get in the way of your honest opinion of the music. I don't really have an opinion on either band though, since I have only heard one or two songs from both bands.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ok.  Your musical experience is based strictly on what you hear coming out of the speakers with no context.  That's cool.    Everyone is different.   To each his own.

With no context? Isn't thst a bit too much?

Offline Fritzinger

I think this calls for an Eagles vs Doors poll!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
  The Doors are terrible.

You are so right on this.