Poll

Is a band Aerosmith in the same league with British classic rock greats?

Yes
15 (31.3%)
No
33 (68.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Is a band Aerosmith in the same league with British classic rock greats?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline WildRanger

What would you say?
Aerosmith are huge American rock legends. Would you put them in the same league with British greats?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 02:01:58 PM by WildRanger »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Without question, and I'm not even a fan... you inquisitive bastard.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
What's your strange fascination with creating a new thread every day?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Never heard of Aeromith. Ban(ne)d or otherwise. AeroSmith on the other hand...I'm not so sure. You're better off asking Americans about that. Pump's got some good tracks on it, and Pink is another favourite of mine. Otherwise, I'm not a good judge.

Offline ChuckSteak

I wouldn't put them in the same league. Aerosmith is good and all, but it was already the son of the great british bands. By the way, I like your topics. Keep making them!  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I wouldn't put them in the same league. Aerosmith is good and all, but it was already the son of the great british bands. By the way, I like your topics. Keep making them!  :tup

Chuck, I have a strange fascination with your avatar. I cannot stop watching it, but it terrifies me. It also makes some of your posts way funnier than they should be.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I don't know about most of their music, but Just Push Play is an instant classic, wouldn't surprise me if that would be in the same league as the "British classic rock greats".

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ChuckSteak

Chuck, I have a strange fascination with your avatar. I cannot stop watching it, but it terrifies me. It also makes some of your posts way funnier than they should be.
I'm glad.  :lol

Offline jammindude

I swear I was born in the wrong country.

It’s just hard for me to take American bands seriously because they are all blues based, simplistic, and tend to play it safe and repeat themselves.

British bands tend to be more experimental (except the Stones), adventurous, jazz based...etc...etc

That’s why I almost never put American bands on the same level as the Brits.

I will say that Aerosmith is a bit like an American Rolling Stones...and I would say even better. So I guess they get a pass for that reason.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Architeuthis

It’s just hard for me to take American bands seriously because they are all blues based, simplistic, and tend to play it safe and repeat themselves.

British bands tend to be more experimental (except the Stones), adventurous, jazz based...etc...etc

I will say that Aerosmith is a bit like an American Rolling Stones...and I would say even better. So I guess they get a pass for that reason.
Except for Dream Theater. They were heavily influenced by the British bands, Yes, Maiden, Floyd, etc. They are also influenced from a three piece powerhouse from Canada. ;)
Metallica is another exception from the U.S.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is a band Aeromith in the same league with British classic rock greats?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 01:26:14 PM »

Except for Dream Theater. They were heavily influenced by the British bands, Yes, Maiden, Floyd, etc. They are also influenced from a three piece powerhouse from Canada. ;)
Metallica is another exception from the U.S.

Yeah, but the Brits have Iron Maiden, which absolutely freaking wipes the floor with Metallica, so we still lose.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »
Take away the below two things, they would be an afterthought on the classic rock scrapheap.

1) Dream On
2) Videos on MTV in the late 80s with scantily clad hos.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm not sure which "British classic rock greats" you have in mind, so hard to answer the question.  But I've always disliked Aerosmith, so my vote would likely be "no." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »

I don't see this at all.  At all.

As for Aerosmith; are they equal to the Beatles, Zeppelin, or The Who?  No.   Are they the equal of Deep Purple, UFO, Priest, Def Leppard and Maiden?   Yes.   

I've seen 'smith live like 7 or 8 times, and they kill it every night.   WAY better band live than on record; even their schmaltz is good live.   Steven Tyler can still sing like it's 1974, and Joe Perry is a beast.   

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Aerosmith are not culturally significant in the same way a lot of other bands are, so, no. A hundred years from now I doubt they'll be remembered much.

Online NoseofNicko

Lol no.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Aerosmith are not culturally significant in the same way a lot of other bands are, so, no. A hundred years from now I doubt they'll be remembered much.

I disagree strongly with this. Aerosmith are huge and iconic figures in American rock. They will be remembered, in fact they'll be one of the few rock bands remembered period that far into the future.

EDIT: Wikipedia basically sums up why, even though I'm not a fan, Aerosmith is so successful and will be remembered for generations:

Aerosmith is the best-selling American hard rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide, including over 70 million records in the United States alone.[21][22] With 25 gold albums, 18 platinum albums, and 12 multi-platinum albums, they hold the record for the most total certifications by an American band and are tied for the most multi-platinum albums by an American band. The band has scored 21 Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, nine number-one Mainstream Rock hits, four Grammy Awards, six American Music Awards, and ten MTV Video Music Awards. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, and were included among both Rolling Stone's and VH1's lists of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[23] In 2013, the band's principal songwriters, Tyler and Perry, were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Honestly, I think some of the negativity is in the popularity they achieved.   They used <gasp!> outside songwriters, they had the dreaded "John Kalodner: John Kalodner" on many of their records, and they made the ultimate compromise:  they made a deal with the machine to send their unique spirit through the filter to achieve the next level of stardom.   

And more importantly, for all their foibles and troubles, how many bands have five original members after 45 years together and can still play and sing the hit off their first album as well as they did back then?

Offline ChuckSteak

Steven Tyler is an amazing vocalist.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
And more importantly, for all their foibles and troubles, how many bands have five original members after 45 years together and can still play and sing the hit off their first album as well as they did back then?

Can't think of any. A band like Aerosmith fits the first part of that though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Aerosmith as a band just doesn't feel -influential- in the way that the stones, the beatles, the who, the floyd etc. were. And I think that's the big difference, success doesn't necessarily mean influence

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Aerosmith as a band just doesn't feel -influential- in the way that the stones, the beatles, the who, the floyd etc. were. And I think that's the big difference, success doesn't necessarily mean influence

Hey, this is exactly how I feel about Deep Purple :D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »

I've been meaning to say the same thing.  I read all of his posts as though that guy is saying/screaming what he wrote.   :lol :lol

As far as the question asked, I'd say Aerosmith is better than some British artists and not as good as others, but I only really like a small handful of Aerosmith songs and think Steven Tyler is, for the most part, a mediocre singer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Hey, this is exactly how I feel about Deep Purple :D

Huh.   I won't waste a breath on how influential Aerosmith is (Guns 'n' Roses, Motley, and Cinderella, pretty much is it) but Purple?   Maiden generally, Bruce Dickinson specifically, UFO, Malmsteen, Scorpions... all influenced by Purple. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nevermind. Too many beers in to be coherent  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, this thread has me scratching my head.

Aerosmith is BY FAR the signature American Classic Rock Band. I don't even know who is close, to be honest. Lynyrd Skynrd, perhaps.

They have been successful in every decade they have been in existence.

Influence?? Really? How about every bar band for the last 40 years? They were the blueprint for every 5 piece hair metal band in the 80's. They translated to the 90's in bands like The Black Crowes.

Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin? Probably not, but I can't think of many other bands I'd put ahead of them from ANY country for success, influence, sustainability.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It is rare that TAC is correct, but I think he is in this case.

And I am not even that big of a Aerosmith fan (like them, but would never call myself a big fan or pay to see them).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It is rare that TAC is correct, but I think he is in this case.

It's even rarer that KevShmev is correct, but I think he is in this case.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Nah, that's more medium rare than rare.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Steven Tyler is an amazing vocalist.

Talent aside, someone who brought up the Stones comparison earlier, I will extend it further and saw Tyler had what Jagger had that made him special: Style. It's not important that you have the best singer, it's important that you have the right singer for your band. He was the right singer for Aerosmith. I just happen to hate his singing.

Honestly, I think some of the negativity is in the popularity they achieved.   They used <gasp!> outside songwriters, they had the dreaded "John Kalodner: John Kalodner" on many of their records, and they made the ultimate compromise:  they made a deal with the machine to send their unique spirit through the filter to achieve the next level of stardom.

Who the fuck is William T. Santiago John Kalodner? I don't know or care who writes someone's songs. I don't care if Aerosmith "made a deal with the machine." I won't knock them for their videos and using that to propel them to stardom. That was the way to the top in the late 80s/early 90s, but I won't effusively praise them for it either. 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »

I don't see this at all.  At all.

Sorry.   This is my bad.   When I was thinking of "British Bands", my mind ventured into the British bands *I* listen to and consider influential.   Not the "Big 4" we've been discussing recently.    I was thinking of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel...etc...etc....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't really care if they match up or not. I just dig really Aerosmith.  The drug days were the best. LOL When they got clean there are some good music there, not great like the old days but very good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

I don't really care if they match up or not. I just dig really Aerosmith.  The drug days were the best. LOL When they got clean there are some good music there, not great like the old days but very good.

Both had their high points.  I was somewhat there for both.     Even though the drug days gave us the classics.   There were albums that were "all killer no filler" (like Rocks) and then there were some that had a couple of fantastic tunes and the rest was mostly just there.  (Draw the Line comes to mind).    The clean years had some similarities.   I think Permanent Vacation and Pump are back to front good albums (even though Pump is so overplayed I'm sick of it), and then.....ya most of the rest of the rest of it is pretty much 2 or 3 great tunes and a bunch of filler.    (for the record, I always loved Done With Mirrors as well.   I know most people thought it was meh, but I think it's a very strong Aerosmith album.  I even like it more than Draw the Line or Night in the Ruts)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
   (for the record, I always loved Done With Mirrors as well.   I know most people thought it was meh, but I think it's a very strong Aerosmith album.  I even like it more than Draw the Line or Night in the Ruts)

Best post you've made in about three weeks! :lol

My favorite Aerosmith album: Night In the Ruts
My Second favorite: Done With Mirrors.

My Fist Your Face! :metal
That's For Sure :metal :metal

Offline jammindude

(for the record, I always loved Done With Mirrors as well.   I know most people thought it was meh, but I think it's a very strong Aerosmith album.  I even like it more than Draw the Line or Night in the Ruts)

Best post you've made in about three weeks! :lol

My favorite Aerosmith album: Night In the Ruts
My Second favorite: Done With Mirrors.

My Fist Your Face! :metal
That's For Sure :metal :metal

Had to get some of my cred back.   :hat

BTW, did *anyone* ever check out their last album?   Just Push Play (outside of a couple of tracks) was mostly terrible.   So much that I passed on an opportunity to pick up the special edition of that newer album that came out.  The completist in me almost wishes I had picked it up anyway.    But I swear I never heard a single note from that album.    At least Just Push Play got turned into a car commercial.   I don't even remember a title on the last one.   But I know it had a B-movie cover.