Author Topic: Albums where Side B is stronger  (Read 1856 times)

Online Dream Team

Albums where Side B is stronger
« on: March 27, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »
Something I noticed just recently . . . obviously most albums start out with what a band feels are the strongest tracks. This was especially true in the old days of LPs and cassettes. Dream Theater is one of the few bands where I like “Side 2” better on several of their albums. Specifically:

Images & Words
Awake
Falling Into Infinity
Train of Thought
Octavarium
Black Clouds
ADTOE

This is a rare thing, over half their albums. Thinking about some of my other favorite bands with extensive discographies, Maiden has a few like that and I feel Metallica’s albums have been fairly well balanced when it comes to the track listing (TBA and HWTSD being obvious exceptions).

What does everyone think? How common is it for one of your favorite bands to have weaker songs on Side A?

Offline jammindude

Re: Albums where Side B is stronger
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »

Just kidding....

Genesis - Foxtrot
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »

Just kidding....

J Dude, the way you've been posting lately, it's hard to tell! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
But to be honest....I think you're right.   The more I thought about it, nearly all my favorite albums are much stronger on Side 1 than Side 2.  Even modern albums that tend to have a natural "halfway point", the first half is stronger.   The Mountain springs to mind.   Even though that is a nearly perfect album, I still put the first half as much stronger than the ending.

Operation Mindcrime is a side 1 album
So is Hemispheres. 

Actually, I would say side 2 of Rage For Order is possibly stronger than Side 1....but it's almost a dead heat. 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
Pink Floyd's Meddle is the first to come to mind. Side A is great, but Echoes is another level to anything the band had done before, and with a couple of exceptions (Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Dogs), anything they'd do after.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
 DT12 songs 5-9
 Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins songs 5-9
 Rush. Caress of Steele

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »
-Every DT album
-Avenged Sevenfold: City of Evil and The Stage
-Metallica: Ride the Lightning and Death Magnetic
-All That Remains: The Fall of Ideals
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Styx - Pieces of Eight

Side A is really good, but Side B slays it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
Pink Floyd's Meddle is the first to come to mind. Side A is great, but Echoes is another level to anything the band had done before, and with a couple of exceptions (Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Dogs), anything they'd do after.

I'd actually say, and this coming from a Floyd fan, that Side A is mediocre at best. The fact that on Side B the sole song is Echoes makes this a more clear choice for me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:03:34 PM »
Great thread!

few albums that come to mind:

Savatage- edge of thorns
The who- who's next
Black Sabbath- Sabbath bloody sabbath
The Beatles- Abbey Road
Queen- Queen II
Helloween- Keeper of the seven keys
Tesla- the great radio controversy
Opeth- orchid
Genesis- trespass

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »
'Dark Side of the Moon' just to get the obvious one out of the way.  And, of course, 'Abbey Road' (my go to side after an extremely tough or exhausting day)

'A Night At The Opera', 'A Day At The Races', and 'News Of The World'

I'll also mention 'Synchronicity'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:41:07 AM »
Probably not a lot of Offspring fans here, but yesterday I was listening to "Ixnay on the Hombre" and trying to figure out why I used to like that album so much through the first 5 or so songs. Started getting really good by track 6, but those first few tracks aren't very good at all. Definitely a better B side with Amazed, All I Want, Change the World, etc...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »
The Decemberists - Picaresque.

1.   "The Infanta"
2.   "We Both Go Down Together"
3.   "Eli, the Barrow Boy"
4.   "The Sporting Life"   
5.   "The Bagman's Gambit"   
6.   "From My Own True Love (Lost at Sea)"   

VS

7.   "Sixteen Military Wives"
8.   "The Engine Driver"   
9.   "On the Bus Mall"   
10.   "The Mariner's Revenge Song"   
11.   "Of Angels and Angles"   

Side 1 great, Side 2 Awesome.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
GREAT call on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

I'd put Screaming For Vengeance in here too: 

Screaming For Vengeance
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Fever
Devil's Child

Number Of The Beast (the way it was supposed to be):
Number Of The Beast
Run To The Hills
Total Eclipse
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Powerslave:
Back In The Village
Powerslave
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

I might even put Destroyer here:
Flaming Youth
Sweet Pain
Shout It Out Loud
Beth
Do You Love Me?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
Michael Jackson's Thriller had the biggest hits on Side-B, same with Mr. Mister's Welcome to the Real World.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »
Talking about "sides" with albums that came out in 1988 or later is a bit tough (that's when I stopped buying LPs or cassettes), so with DT, you end up looking for an arbitrary "first half" and "second half."

If you assume that the break in I&W is between Surrounded and Metropolis, then I&W would definitely fit the bill.  I think DT's subsequent albums have been too long to think of in terms of "sides."  For example, if FII, had been released on vinyl (maybe it was; I don't know), it would have to have been a double album, right?

Others:

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast and Powerslave (DESPITE Back in the Village)
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
Styx - Equinox and Pieces of Eight
Triumph - Allied Forces and Thunder Seven
UFO - Force It
Yes - Going for the One (this is a little iffy
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
Dream Theater almost always structures their albums to end with a bang which is why the second halves are always stronger. The exception would be the concept albums, SFAM and  The Astonishing, and I think it's because they take the idea of a concept album seriously that latter songs reprise a lot of the musical themes in the later spngs are callbacks to the first set of songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »

UFO - Force It

LOVE the UFO references lately!

Side A:
Let It Roll
Shoot Shoot
High Flyer
Love Lost Love
Out In The Street

Side B:
Mother Mary
Too Much Of Nothing
Dance Your Life Away
This Kids

I gotta go with Side A, bro.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »

UFO - Force It

Side A:
Let It Roll
Shoot Shoot
High Flyer
Love Lost Love
Out In The Street

Side B:
Mother Mary
Too Much Of Nothing
Dance Your Life Away
This Kids

My favorite UFO album.  But I'm going with side A too.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast and Powerslave (DESPITE Back in the Village)

Don't you mean "BECAUSE", since it's the best song on the album?   :)

(It's not the "best" but it's one of my favorites).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
I think side B of Journey's Escape is better than side A but that's not saying much because the whole record is nearly flawless
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
I think side B of Journey's Escape is better than side A but that's not saying much because the whole record is nearly flawless

:tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »

So is Hemispheres. 

I agree on Hemispheres, even though the whole album is solid gold!  As for Operation Mindcrime, I like side two way better...
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 11:41:41 AM »

UFO - Force It

Side A:
Let It Roll
Shoot Shoot
High Flyer
Love Lost Love
Out In The Street

Side B:
Mother Mary
Too Much Of Nothing
Dance Your Life Away
This Kids

Can't go wrong with either side, but Mother Mary and This Kid's are both top 5 UFO songs for me, so that tips the scale.

Don't you mean "BECAUSE", since it's the best song on the album?   :)

(It's not the "best" but it's one of my favorites).

Nope...not only do I think Back in the Village is the worst song on Powerslave, I would say it's the worst song on any of the first four Dickinson albums.

So is Hemispheres. 

I agree on Hemispheres, even though the whole album is solid gold!  As for Operation Mindcrime, I like side two way better...

I couldn't possibly choose between sides on Hemispheres, and the same is probably true with Mindcrime, but was Mindcrime really released on a single vinyl record?  The song lengths on Wikipedia give side 1 a running time of 25:43, which is pretty long but not unheard of (comparable to both sides of Powerslave), but it shows side 2 as having a running time of 33:17, which just seems ridiculous.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »
Rush - Hemispheres!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
Talking about "sides" with albums that came out in 1988 or later is a bit tough (that's when I stopped buying LPs or cassettes), so with DT, you end up looking for an arbitrary "first half" and "second half."

If you assume that the break in I&W is between Surrounded and Metropolis, then I&W would definitely fit the bill.  I think DT's subsequent albums have been too long to think of in terms of "sides."  For example, if FII, had been released on vinyl (maybe it was; I don't know), it would have to have been a double album, right?

I came in here to say this - Using the term "sides" in context to albums that were originally released on CD is a bit difficult. Some bands didn't think about music in terms of sides after CDs became mainstream, and if they did, it was because a vinyl release came out as well.

In today's world of vinyl-resurgence, it's possible many modern albums (in the last ten years) have vinyls where track order was created with the vinyl format in mind again, but for most 60+ minute albums, these tend to be double vinyl albums, so "side B" is just one side of 3 or 4, which isn't what we're really discussing here.

Titling the topic "Albums where the 2nd half is stronger" would be more apt to cover all  bases, both CD and Vinyl, or even Cassette.

In the case of Dream Theater albums after IAW, we've gotten vinyls for nearly all of them, I believe, including the above mentioned Falling Into Infinity, all of which were double vinyl sets.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
I'm thinking pretty much on 2nd half of albums. If there's 10 songs, it would be 6-10..

Online The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
I'm thinking pretty much on 2nd half of albums. If there's 10 songs, it would be 6-10..

But in the case of something like SDOIT, that's like putting TGP/BF/Misunderstood against TGD/Disappear/SDOIT, which seems hardly unfair.

I would go with length divided in half to determine where the A/B split would be, to be closer to how vinyl albums worked.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »
Yeah, that makes sense as far as the time thing goes.  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 11:04:08 PM »
Interesting factoid regarding Operation Mindcrime. 

Suite Sister Mary posed a big problem because it made the album lopsided no matter which half you put it on.    For the narrative, it belonged as the end of “act 1”....but the time was just slightly more balanced if you put it at the beginning of side 2.   This was important to consider at the time, because if you wanted to listen to it in the car, you had to make a cassette copy.  (Many of us were only just beginning to get CD players, and almost no one had them in their car.)

But the OFFICIAL release was done both ways, actually.

The cassette had Suite Sister Mary at the end of side 1.   This was the actual artistic intention, as SSM does end “act 1” of the story.  But it created a very annoying LOOOONG gap of silence at the end of side 2. 

But the vinyl release has SSM beginning side 2 because of the limitations of time on an LP.   

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 03:43:46 AM »
Tarkus

Just kidding.
For me they are often the album where the center piece is on the second side.

Genesis - Foxtrot (Side A is fantastic, but Supper's Ready is just, you know.. Supper's Ready.)
Camel - Moonmadness
Creed - Weathered (Probably not too popular here, and there doesn't even exist a Vinyl version of it (so no "B-side"), but the second half of this album has just such great songs. Hide, Don't Stop Dancing, Stand Here With Me, Lullaby....)
Dave Brubeck - Time Out (First side has the "proggy" Blue Rondo, Strange Meadow Lark with its beautiful intro and the famous Take Five. But the second side is AT LEAST just as good, if not even better.)
I agree on Meddle by Pink Floyd
Possibly Yes - Going For The One (then again, Turn Of The Century is just magic)
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
Having mulled it over...

I really love the second half of Electric Light Orchestra's first album, but never really listen to the first side much.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
Some great candidates cited here. I suppose to make it a little tougher we should only consider albums where there isn’t an all-time classic epic closer (which is why I chose Octavarium for example).

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Scrolling through my album list, I can only find two thus far that fit this category:

Operation: Mindcrime
Deadwing

The first has been mentioned.  Not sure the second has, but I've only casually scanned the replies thus far.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
Abbey Road is the really obvious one. I'd also say SW's Insurgentes and Deep Purple's Machine Head; love both albums but in both cases the second halves are just slightly better than the first