Author Topic: Disney/Pixar Bracket  (Read 1189 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Disney/Pixar Bracket
« on: March 27, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »
This is making the rounds on the Internet and it looks fun. Fellow fans of fun cartoon films, who ya got? Some of these choices were very hard starting in round 2. The only matchups with films I hadn't seen were Coco vs. Cars 2, and Tangled vs. Big Hero 6, but it didn't matter by round 2. (EDIT: Here is a bigger version if anyone would like one.)

This is mine.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online kaos2900

Re: Disney/Pixar Bracket
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »
Fun, but Cars 2 over Coco! Cars 2 is the worst thing Pixar has produced.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
Fun, but Cars 2 over Coco! Cars 2 is the worst thing Pixar has produced.

I haven't seen Coco or any of the Cars movies, so I just had to pick one haha.

Also whoever did the seeding on this needs to be smacked. Very poor choices.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:39:12 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:00 PM »
Nah, Cars 2 is fine.  I haven't seen Coco, so I can't rate it.  But Toy Story 3 is fantastic, so it would take the next round anyway.  For me:

Round 1:
The Lion King vs. Tarzan
The Princess and the Frog vs. Lilo & Stitch
Tangled vs. Big Hero 6 (this one was close; tangled was a REALLY cool reimagining of Rapunzel)
Frozen vs. Moana (I enjoy Moana, but can't imagine it having much staying power)
Aladin vs. Hercules
The Little Mermaid vs. Pocahantas
Mulan vs. Zootopia ("Someday I'll make a man out of you!"--this one was actually pretty close)
Beauty and the Beast vs. The Nightmare Before Christmas (TNBC is a cult favorite of mine, so it will take a lot to take it down)
---
Up vs. Brave (close call, but the first ten minutes of Up give it an emotional impact like no other)
Toy Story vs. Toy Story 2 (they were both good, but the edge goes to the original)
Coco vs. Cars 2 (I haven't seen Coco, but I enjoyed Cars 2 enough)
Toy Story 3 vs. The Good Dinosaur (not even close)
Ratatouille vs. A Bug's Life (I like both of these, but not crazy about either)
Finding Nemo vs. Inside Out (Inside Out is fantastic, but Finding Nemo is my favorite)
Monsters, Inc. vs. Cars (So hard!  I love both of these!)
The Incredibles vs. Wall-E (Wall-E may be my least favorite, and The Incredibles gets massive clever points)

Round 2:
The Lion King vs. The Princess and the Frog (sorry, Tiana)
Big Hero 6 vs. Frozen
Aladdin vs. The Little Mermaid (tough call, but Aladdin was really fun)
Mulan vs. Nightmare (I hate to see Mulan go this early, but the seeding is what it is)
---
Up vs. Toy Story (aw...  :()
Toy Story 3 vs. Cars 2 (landslide!)
Ratatouille vs. Finding Nemo
Cars vs. The Incredibles

Round 3:
The Lion King vs. Frozen (Frozen still chokes me up, man)
Aladdin vs. Nightmare
--
Toy Story vs. Toy Story 3 (speaking of still getting choked up...maybe this is considered a big upset, but 3 still makes me cry at the end)
Finding Nemo vs. Cars

Semis:
Frozen vs. Nightmare (controversy!)
Toy Story 3 vs. Finding Nemo

Finals:
Nightmare vs. Finding Nemo

That was ridiculously fun.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
Yeah, like, The Good Dinosaur should've been up against Tangled, I think, and I would've made some other changes, but it's so interesting to see the difference in opinions. For example I don't think much of The Incredibles, but almost everyone else I know loves it. I'm actually surprised you had Cars over it, bosk. Respect for having TNBC get to the finals, too, that is a fantastic film.

And Toy Story 3 is a masterpiece, I welled up at the end in the theater (I saw Toy Story in theaters when I was 4, so it meant a lot).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
I like The Incredibles a lot.  It takes so many comic book superhero and spy tropes and turns them on their heads, and it does so with humor and good story telling.  That's why it is so good.  But start to finish, I just find Cars to be a very good movie.  Given the right bracket, it could have made it to semis or finals for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
I just saw Coco. It is stunning, visually. The story line was pretty predictable, however.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 02:56:58 PM »
I'll put an asterisk next to the movies I haven't seen.

Round 1
Lion King > Tarzan
Lilo & Stitch > Princess & Frog*
Tangled > Big Hero 6*
Frozen > Moana*
Aladdin > Hercules
Mermaid > Pocahontas
Mulan > Zootopia*
Beauty and the Beast > Nightmare Before Christmas
Brave > Up
Toy Story > Toy Story 2
Cars 2* > Coco* (obviously, this is just a guess)
Toy Story 3 > The Good Dinosaur*
Ratatouille > Bug's Life
Finding Nemo > Inside Out
Cars > Monsters, Inc. (absolutely BRUTAL first round match up)
Incredibles > Wall-E

Comments:  For me, the upper-right bracket is a joke -- especially in comparison to the bottom-right bracket, which is brutal!  Toy Story against Toy Story 2 in the first round?!  Then why not Cars against Cars 2?  Nemo, Ratatouille, Monsters, Inc. and The Incredibles all in the same bracket?!  Little Mermaid against Pocahontas is also a tough first round match up.

Round 2
Lion King > Lilo & Stitch
Tangled > Frozen
Aladdin > Little Mermaid (probably a triple OT game, with Abu making a last second 3-pointer over Flounder's outstretched fins)
Beauty & the Beast > Mulan
Toy Story > Brave
Toy Story 3 > Cars 2 (basically a forfeit for the massively overrated TS3)
Finding Nemo > Ratatouille
The Incredibles > Cars (another second round match ups of movies that should both be #1 seeds)

Round 3
Lion King > Tangled
Aladdin > Beauty & the Beast
Toy Story > Toy Story 3 (a MASSIVE mismatch - TS3 probably doesn't even score a basket)
The Incredibles > Finding Nemo (this one goes to about 8 overtimes and only gets decided when Gil, the last remaining player on his team gets called for a ticky-tack foul against Violet Parr and fouls out)

Final Four
Aladdin > Lion King
The Incredibles > Toy Story
The Incredibles > Aladdin for the title
(all of these are incredible (no pun intended) games)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
I've never been a Disney guy. Not sure why. Nothing from them really ever clicked with me outside of Winnie the Pooh. I was always more from the WB/Hanna-Barbera/Henson stuff and other things.

However, I love Pixar. Looking at the grid, I have literally only seen one film on the Disney side and that is Nightmare Before Christmas. That happens to be an all time favorite of mine as well. I have seen almost all of the Pixar movies. Heck, my wife and I saw them regularly in the theater back when we were dating.

About all I can do here is pick the Championship bracket which would be Nightmare vs. Incredibles.

From that, and I get the irony here, I would pick Nightmare Before Christmas as the winner. Considering the amount of Nightmare memorabilia I have, it's a no-brainer for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »
To me, the true irony in that (and this goes for myself as well, since Nightmare also made it to my championship round before losing to Nemo) Nightmare wasn't even made by Disney.  They simply bought the rights to it years later.  In my case, that doesn't so much matter, because I love Disney anyway.  But interesting observation.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
I'm looking at this list of Disney-Pixar films, focusing on strictly the animated (highlighted in red) films, from the 90s to now. There are lots I don't like or care about. In fact, I'd say I don't like or haven't seen a majority of the films. The bracket seems to contain their biggest or most popular animated films since the 90s.

If we go back to the 80s, though... Fox and the Hound. Now that is an awesome Disney film.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »
I don't understand the layout of this, but it's gonna come down to Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King for me. I haven't watched Zootopia because I'm not allowed but I think I would like it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
I don't understand the layout of this, but it's gonna come down to Moana, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King for me. I haven't watched Zootopia because I'm not allowed but I think I would like it

How are you not allowed? I watched it last year when I was bored one weekend and was very pleasantly surprised, it's a wonderful film. Bit heavy handed with the themes but it's a movie about a bunny cop so

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
Love Disney and Pixar and man those are some torturous choices. I love me some Tangled (especially since she reminds me of my oldest daughter a lot), Big Hero 6, Little Mermaid, Nemo and Up more than the Toy Stories so if I force myself to do it Tangled defeats Up in the championship. Unconventional I know.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
Everyone seems to love Big Hero 6. I know nothing about it, weird name too. I guess I should watch it.

Personally, I'm quite excited for Toy Story 4, if it's still on track for 2019. 24 years of watching those films...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 01:33:55 PM »
Big Hero 6 is all right. It's got a lot of cool ideas that could made it a great film, but instead they made it into an incredibly generic superhero origin movie.

I still enjoy it, but it could have been a lot more.