Author Topic: Michael Schenker  (Read 4253 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Michael Schenker
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »
It was weird though; when I passed him on the sidewalk, he didn't look "pissed" exactly, he looked... I don't know, defeated?   Like I said it was a weird vibe.

I feel like he's not all that happy with this "Fest". Heck, he wasn't even part of the previous tour and live album.

I'd hate for Schenker to lose him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
I'm following this thread (really like UFO and Schenker), although don't have posted so much. So, just a sugestion, I strongly recomend Grahham Bonnet Band's 2016 album, The Book. There's a lot of killer songs IMO and it's very much in the vein of Schenker's style from 80's. And it has Mark Zonder on drums which never hurts!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
Change of plans, I'm going to the Cleveland show on Friday. I'm pumped!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »

:metal

Listening to Never Ending Nightmare right now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 01:49:55 AM »

Listening to Never Ending Nightmare right now.

I never really cared for that album, but that's a great song!

Give me Perfect Timing and about half of Save Yourself from the Mcauley era.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
Yes, the third McCauley/Schenker album blows, but Never Ending Nightmare is one of Schenker's finest moments.

The McCauley Schenker albums are very spotty. I made a playlist for my iPod, besides having the albums..

Save Yourself
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Shadow Of The Night
Don't Stop Me Now
When I'm Gone
No Time For Losers
Anytime
Get Out
Never Ending Nightmare

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
We're in the venue now. We managed to time it so we'd miss the opening bands. Ready to ROCK!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 07:12:06 PM »

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
The show in Cleveland was amazing. All of the singers sounded great. GB had a couple of sour notes, but I think that's something to be expected with him at times. The only "negative" was one of the song choices with GB's part of the set. Spoiler: they played Dancer from Assault Attack. I think that Rock You to the Ground, or Samuri would have been a much better choice.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 07:55:35 AM »
The show in Cleveland was amazing. All of the singers sounded great. GB had a couple of sour notes, but I think that's something to be expected with him at times. The only "negative" was one of the song choices with GB's part of the set. Spoiler: they played Dancer from Assault Attack. I think that Rock You to the Ground, or Samuri would have been a much better choice.

Samurai is one of my favorite Schenker tunes ever; I know Bonnet can sing it, so...    it might be a pacing issue.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 05:43:05 PM »
Yeah, I didn't consider that.

I shouldn't complain because they did play Desert Song which is probably my favorite MSG song of all time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:06 PM »
Going to catch this in Denver. Not really familiar with Schenker's work outside of UFO and Scorpions, what is the essential MSG?

Mosh, to me Schenker's best albums are his first 4. Vocalist in parentheses

Michael Schenker Group (Barden) 1980
MSG (Barden) '81 
Assault Attack (Bonnet) '82
Built To Destroy (Bonnet) '83

Save Yourself  (McCauley) '89

Bridge The Gap (White) '13

I linked the setlist. I'd just get familiar with that. Seems that Shoot Shoot and Natural Thing have been dropped from the set, though I wouldn't be surprised if NYC got them.
Late response but I’m finally getting to listening to these (show is on Thursday). Good stuff so far, great guitar playing as expected. Looking forward to the concert although I was hoping for a little bit more from Lovedrive.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »
He's only on three songs on Lovedrive. Coast To Coast, which he is playing, the title track, and Another Piece Of Meat, both of which he has played on recent tours.

Offline max_security

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »

I shouldn't complain because they did play Desert Song which is probably my favorite MSG song of all time.

Mine too , I really like the Alcatrazz version.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2018, 03:19:43 AM »

Funny that you mention that. When I was a young man (I.E. in my early teens), one of my brother's friends was (and still is) a huge Yngwie fan. He had something like a 2nd or 3rd generation copy of the No Parole for Rock'n Roll Live vhs. I used to tag along and try to hang out with them whenever I could, and the Alcatraz version of that song was the first time that I heard it. I remember when my brother got a copy of the album, I snuck it out of his room so that I could hear the song because I thought that it was one of theirs. I was disappointed when the song wasn't on the album.

A year or two later I seen the video for Gimme Your Love from Perfect Timing, and being the horny little bastard that I was at the time, I got hooked on the video because of all the models featured in the video. At that point I started getting into MSG, and worked my way backwards through the discography from that point. For some reason I didn't know the name of the song. Maybe GB didn't say it on the live cut? I can't remember. Anyways, I finally got a copy of AA and I remember flipping the cassette over to side two. The first notes that I hear coming out of the speakers is the song that I fell in love with a year, or two before. I was absolutely floored, and it cemented my appreciation for Michael's work.

My favorite album will always be MSG (On and On, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie etc. etc...), but Desert Song will always be my favorite individual track from his work.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »
Going to catch this in Denver. Not really familiar with Schenker's work outside of UFO and Scorpions, what is the essential MSG?

Mosh, to me Schenker's best albums are his first 4. Vocalist in parentheses

Michael Schenker Group (Barden) 1980
MSG (Barden) '81 
Assault Attack (Bonnet) '82
Built To Destroy (Bonnet) '83

Save Yourself  (McCauley) '89

Bridge The Gap (White) '13

I linked the setlist. I'd just get familiar with that. Seems that Shoot Shoot and Natural Thing have been dropped from the set, though I wouldn't be surprised if NYC got them.
Late response but I’m finally getting to listening to these (show is on Thursday). Good stuff so far, great guitar playing as expected. Looking forward to the concert although I was hoping for a little bit more from Lovedrive.

Built To Destroy is Barden (with some help from Derek St. Holmes, depending if you got the US or UK version; they're both good). 

I actually asked Gary what his favorite is; he waffled between the first and the second (he also said the figure on the cover in shadow is HIM!).  When I said I loved Built to Destroy (it's my favorite, along with the 2nd) he kind of politely said "oh that's good too", but it was CLEARLY in a "Wow that album blows but I don't want to shit on a fan" way.  :) 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Built To Destroy is Barden (with some help from Derek St. Holmes, depending if you got the US or UK version; they're both good). 

Oh shit, a total typo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »
Here's an awesome video of

Three Fish Dancing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph--3rFQDoQ

Watch right after the 5:00 minute mark where he breaks a string and continues playing for a bit before switching guitars mid song.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
Assault Attack was awesome, easily my favorite so far. Bonnet was an improvement IMO, too bad he's only on the one album. Glad to see there's a nice representation of those songs on the setlist.

He's only on three songs on Lovedrive. Coast To Coast, which he is playing, the title track, and Another Piece Of Meat, both of which he has played on recent tours.
Gotcha. Well I wouldn't complain about Lovedrive and Another Piece of Meat, but Coast To Coast is a solid choice.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline max_security

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »

Live Sentence was the album title. It's all on " The Tube " , search Alcatrazz Desert Song it'll come up.

Funny that you mention that. When I was a young man (I.E. in my early teens), one of my brother's friends was (and still is) a huge Yngwie fan. He had something like a 2nd or 3rd generation copy of the No Parole for Rock'n Roll Live vhs. I used to tag along and try to hang out with them whenever I could, and the Alcatraz version of that song was the first time that I heard it. I remember when my brother got a copy of the album, I snuck it out of his room so that I could hear the song because I thought that it was one of theirs. I was disappointed when the song wasn't on the album.

A year or two later I seen the video for Gimme Your Love from Perfect Timing, and being the horny little bastard that I was at the time, I got hooked on the video because of all the models featured in the video. At that point I started getting into MSG, and worked my way backwards through the discography from that point. For some reason I didn't know the name of the song. Maybe GB didn't say it on the live cut? I can't remember. Anyways, I finally got a copy of AA and I remember flipping the cassette over to side two. The first notes that I hear coming out of the speakers is the song that I fell in love with a year, or two before. I was absolutely floored, and it cemented my appreciation for Michael's work.

My favorite album will always be MSG (On and On, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie etc. etc...), but Desert Song will always be my favorite individual track from his work.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
Btw are there opening acts at these gigs? How long are they on for if so?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2018, 12:47:42 AM »

I think that there were some in Cleveland, but we managed to time our arrival perfectly so that we missed all of them. Usually I hate to ignore opening bands (never know when you might get to experience something new/special that you didn't know about before), but I was the youngest person in our small group of people (44), and it about kills all of our old ass' to stand on concrete for much longer than a few hours  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:51 AM »

Mosh, in Boston, the show started at 8:00 with one (suck ass) opening band. Schenker played from 9:00-11:30.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »

Oh shit, a total typo.

I know YOU know, but I just put that out there for everyone else.   If you put on Built To Destroy expecting Bonnet, you'd be sadly underwhelmed, I think.  :)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
I wasn’t crazy about Built to Destroy. It did seem like a step back and Barden is no Bonnet.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
I wasn’t crazy about Built to Destroy. It did seem like a step back and Barden is no Bonnet.

Well, to me "Barden is no Bonnet" is a good thing.  Especially on Assault Attack; it's so overdriven and loud and you can hear every breath he takes in between lines... not my favorite performance by him (Down To Earth is). 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2018, 12:17:07 AM »
Well the show was actually really fantastic. Definitely exceeded my expectations. As I said earlier, I'm not really familiar with the MSG stuff but I love UFO and the small amount of work he did with Scorpions. At first I was a little unsure about the set being mostly MSG stuff but spending a week listening to the earlier stuff seemed to be enough. While I couldn't name a lot of songs, more than half of the set was recognizable to me and even the stuff that wasn't was still very enjoyable. Schenker is an incredible guitarist. That's probably not news to anyone here, but I really had no idea how great he was until last night. The guy could shred but he also does it in an extremely melodic way.

The format was awesome. Staging was a little odd yea but I liked that each singer had their own dedicated section for their era of MSG. I also liked that each "section" included some new songs. I'm a big advocate for bands playing their new material and it went down really well with crowd too. They're not bad songs at all either, I recommend the album if anyone hasn't checked it out yet. Take Me To the Church has been stuck in my head all day. Finally, having an instrumental in between each singer's entrance was a great touch.

Well, to me "Barden is no Bonnet" is a good thing.  Especially on Assault Attack; it's so overdriven and loud and you can hear every breath he takes in between lines... not my favorite performance by him (Down To Earth is). 
I will say that Barden really impressed me last night. He sounded surprisingly good (all the singers did really) and he had the best stage presence of the bunch. Definitely increased my appreciation for the guy. Even when he wasn't singing lead, you could tell he was enjoying every second of it.

That being said, Bonnet still stole the show. Wasn't really sure what to expect since the guy is getting pretty far up there in age, but his voice was in amazing shape. It was astounding really.

Btw I didn't stay after long enough to meet any of them but I did get a weird vibe from Doogie White on stage. He didn't seem that interested in interacting with the other singers and seemed kinda closed off, especially before his portion of the set. It got a bit better when he was the lead vocalist, maybe he wasn't happy about sharing the spotlight with other singers (from what I understand he was the most recent vocalist on Michael Shenker projects before this).

Other than that it was a great time. My only real complaint is that Iron Maiden didn't come on after Doctor Doctor.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:02 PM »
Schenker is an incredible guitarist. That's probably not news to anyone here, but I really had no idea how great he was until last night. The guy could shred but he also does it in an extremely melodic way.

Our work is done here!

I'm almost 50, and have heard a bazillion players. He is my favorite guitarist.

I also liked that each "section" included some new songs. I'm a big advocate for bands playing their new material and it went down really well with crowd too. They're not bad songs at all either, I recommend the album if anyone hasn't checked it out yet. Take Me To the Church has been stuck in my head all day. Finally, having an instrumental in between each singer's entrance was a great touch.

I agree. The new album, Resurrection is awesome. Awesome. The two Barden songs are the weakest, though. And yes, a great use of his classic instrumentals between each singer is very cool.

I will say that Barden really impressed me last night. He sounded surprisingly good (all the singers did really) and he had the best stage presence of the bunch. Definitely increased my appreciation for the guy. Even when he wasn't singing lead, you could tell he was enjoying every second of it.

That being said, Bonnet still stole the show. Wasn't really sure what to expect since the guy is getting pretty far up there in age, but his voice was in amazing shape. It was astounding really.

Barden sounded so much better than I expected, but hell yes, Graham Bonnet was amazing. At fucking 70!!!

I did get a weird vibe from Doogie White on stage. He didn't seem that interested in interacting with the other singers and seemed kinda closed off, especially before his portion of the set. It got a bit better when he was the lead vocalist, maybe he wasn't happy about sharing the spotlight with other singers (from what I understand he was the most recent vocalist on Michael Shenker projects before this).

Yeah, I've spoke about this before in this thread. And yes, he is Schenker's current singer. The last two albums together are Michael's best since the 80's. Especially Bridge The Gap. You should check that out. And Doogie's 3 songs on the new album are actually the best ones.

I took this picture during Barden's set.

Do you guys see it? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »
Mike Portnoy standing in the back?

(Seriously, is that Doogie?)