Author Topic: A Wrinkle in Time  (Read 963 times)

Offline pg1067

A Wrinkle in Time
« on: March 19, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
Anyone seen this movie yet?

I took my 14yo daughter yesterday.  She loved the book.  However, based on previews, she went in with low expectations for the movie because of some questionable casting decisions.  I've never read the book, but both my wife and daughter said that the main character's (Meg) appearance was important to the story, so casting an actress that looked nothing like the character from the book was bad choice.

For me, it was almost unwatchable.  If my daughter hadn't been with me, I probably would have walked out.  It started out feeling like propaganda for Oprah Winfrey's personal agenda, and then turned into "teenage girl on an acid trip."  Pretty much all of the characters were annoying, the story made no sense, and it was distracting how they kept referring to Meg's brother by both his first and middle names ("Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!....).  I noticed that a scene from the preview in which some of the science was explained had been cut from the movie.  I don't know if Winfrey's portrayal of her character was consistent with the book, but it felt to me like she was basically playing herself.  I have expected her to start giving cars to everyone at the end!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kaos2900

Re: A Wrinkle in Time
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I thought the trailer looked cool but the reviews have been brutal. Sounds like you confirmed it's just a poorly made film.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
It started out feeling like propaganda for Oprah Winfrey's personal agenda

I have heard the whole movie felt like propaganda. combine that with my personal distaste for Oprah in general and there wasn't a chance I was ever going to the movie to see this....even though my kiddos want to. They can wait for it to come to HBO or AMAZON and watch it when I'm not around.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
I read the book as a kid and would have been interested in seeing it (probably when it gets released on demand or something, not in theaters) but the reviews were brutal and it turned me off from wanting to see it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »

I have heard the whole movie felt like propaganda. combine that with my personal distaste for Oprah in general and there wasn't a chance I was ever going to the movie to see this.

My take would be that it moved from "propaganda" to a very generic "believe in yourself" theme.

I also don't think highly of Oprah Winfrey, so the overall feel of the movie as a "pet project" of hers didn't exactly start me out with a favorable disposition.  Based on my wife's explanation that Meg's appearance was, in fact, important to the plot, it really felt like someone made an agenda-based decision to cast a black actress to play Meg.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »

I have heard the whole movie felt like propaganda. combine that with my personal distaste for Oprah in general and there wasn't a chance I was ever going to the movie to see this....even though my kiddos want to. They can wait for it to come to HBO or AMAZON and watch it when I'm not around.

This didn't help my ambitions to see it either. I'm sure someone somewhere would have blamed the performance on the diverse cast on director if not for Black Panther slaying the box office for more than a month.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
and it was distracting how they kept referring to Meg's brother by both his first and middle names ("Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!....). 

That's straight out of the book.  He's "Charles Wallace" just like a girl might be "Mary Jane" or "Bobbie Joe".

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »
and it was distracting how they kept referring to Meg's brother by both his first and middle names ("Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!  Charles Wallace!....). 

That's straight out of the book.  He's "Charles Wallace" just like a girl might be "Mary Jane" or "Bobbie Joe".

Like I said, I've never read the book....