Author Topic: Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy at CTTE 2019  (Read 3812 times)

Offline the keyboard wizard

Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy at CTTE 2019
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
The news is just in. Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy will be aboard the same boat in 2019. So who knows what might happen? With the recent tweets about the anniversary of LTE, with the new "public" friendship between Mike and John revealed on New Year's Day and with the fact that, when asked about a potential LTE reunion, Tony Levin said: that might be possible... we can start dreaming again and save up to buy a ticket !!!
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Jordan Rudess and Mike Portnoy at CTTE 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 05:16:51 PM »
No, thanks.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
Yawn.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
Apart from When The Water Breaks, I just can't get into LTE.

It would be cool if they at least did something impromptu... I guess
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
Those two LTE albums from the late 90's were awesome, but I don't care about them reforming for a live show or anything like that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:18:46 AM »
Just because MP and JR are going to be on the same cruise doesn't mean anything...and a LTE reunion only works if JP and TL are into it. Thats what makes it LTE. But their only 2 albums are amazing at that.

I find it more interesting JR is doing CTTE in 2019, solo. So then, DT will either be working on the album or won't tour until after.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
Just because MP and JR are going to be on the same cruise doesn't mean anything...and a LTE reunion only works if JP and TL are into it. Thats what makes it LTE. But their only 2 albums are amazing at that.

I find it more interesting JR is doing CTTE in 2019, solo. So then, DT will either be working on the album or won't tour until after.

I know JR is doing a solo tour in 2018, so I imagine it will be something akin to that. It's only a week long cruise so I don't think it will be too much of an inconvenience to pause writing sessions or take off a week from working with the rest of the band.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »
Oh for goodness' sake, stop it now.  :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
It seems very possible that MP and JR do something together on that cruise, but I wouldn't put much thought into other than that.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 12:54:23 PM »

he's doing a whole tour this year and this man has probably got some insane repertoire up his sleeve, so I wouldn't put much thought into him doing this solo in 2019. it doesn't mean anything for Dream Theater
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »

he's doing a whole tour this year and this man has probably got some insane repertoire up his sleeve, so I wouldn't put much thought into him doing this solo in 2019. it doesn't mean anything for Dream Theater

And according to some interviews with JP and Jordan, their plan is to enter the studio un May to begin working on DT14, for an early 2019 release. Jordan going to CTTE wouldn't affect the DT schedule in any way.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
Those two LTE albums from the late 90's were awesome, but I don't care about them reforming for a live show or anything like that.
As I've said before, the show I caught in LA was the best show I've ever seen in ~35 years. If you like their music then it's an amazing thing to see live. I won't be doing some silly cruise thing, but I'll certainly go to see them play somewhere should they do a few dates.

As for the OT, my money is on JR sitting in with Portnoy for one song during one of his own sets. They'll play LitS or something.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pcs90

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:11:06 PM »
I love LTE, not really sure there would ever be a reunion again (I mean, there already was one) but it'd be interesting for sure.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
LTE reunion kind of makes more sense with Mike Portnoy out of Dream Theater as it became a little bit redundant once Rudess joined Dream Theater and LTE was basically DT doing instrumentals.  It is the 20 year anniversary this year as well.

If this happened though, I'm sure Mangini, for one, would be pretty nervous about it and whether this was a way back for Portnoy into Dream Theater.  Not entirely sure LaBrie or Myung would be over the moon either at that prospect.

I personally loved those LTE albums and the live reunion box set, I think it's some of the best rock instrumental stuff ever made, certainly my favourite instrumental stuff.  Those yawning and saying "no thanks" are crazy imo!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
Those yawning and saying "no thanks" are crazy imo!

I say no thanks because I don't want any more MP drama surrounding JP, JR or DT in general. A LTE reunion would only trigger all the trolls who still want MP back in DT after more than 7 years. Just add a couple MP tweets with him saying something like "the team is reunited" or "this is real chemistry" and you get a lot more of unnecesary drama.

I love LTE, but the band has been dead for decades (not counting their short reunion tour) and I think they should keep it that way.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »

I say no thanks because I don't want any more MP drama surrounding JP, JR or DT in general. A LTE reunion would only trigger all the trolls who still want MP back in DT after more than 7 years. Just add a couple MP tweets with him saying something like "the team is reunited" or "this is real chemistry" and you get a lot more of unnecesary drama.

I love LTE, but the band has been dead for decades (not counting their short reunion tour) and I think they should keep it that way.
Yup. MP has become a drama magnet, and I'm pretty sure the DT boys are well aware of this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
As for the OT, my money is on JR sitting in with Portnoy for one song during one of his own sets. They'll play LitS or something.

Why the hell would Jordan want to play that?

LTE: I'm trying not to come at this from the standpoint of someone who doesn't like the music, but LTE seems like it was a very niche thing, for a very niche period in time. It doesn't need to celebrate an anniversary, reunion, or anything of the sort.

On topic, if the two guys want to jam out a bit on the cruise, sounds like it could be a cool treat for the fans.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
To me the curious thing is the fact that MP is on the bill as a solo artist. Is he putting together a Shattered Fortress-type of thing or will he play a 1-hour drum solo? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
To me the curious thing is the fact that MP is on the bill as a solo artist. Is he putting together a Shattered Fortress-type of thing or will he play a 1-hour drum solo? :lol

He's just reserving the spot for his new, yet to be announced, band. He'll find a few players (probably Billy Sheehan on bass), book a studio and write/record the album (plus a bonus disc full of covers) in just 5 days.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
I'm a little surprised more people aren't stroked that JR and MP are on the same cruise and that MP threw out the LTE possibility. It would be super amazing to hear LTE3 and it would be cool just to see the 2 group up and play some songs :)

I talked to Tony Levin after a DT show in roughly 2012 and asked him about LTE possibilities. This was when the MP split was a bit more fresh and Tony said that he was willing and it's up to the other guys.

Online Mladen

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
I find it surprising that people are expecting a LTE reunion despite the fact that it's been 20 years since the guys did their last album. You might as well keep your fingers crossed for a Winter Rose reunion.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

Why the hell would Jordan want to play that?
True enough. I was just thinking of a long song with a lot of keyboard work that MP would likely play anyway. And JR does seem to enjoy the hell out of that intro. But, since Sherinian would likely be around anyway, that wouldn't be it. I still think the likely scenario would be JR sitting in for a DT song. 

The drama is problematic from two different angles. Yes, MP overreacts to everything and leaves a trail of chaos everywhere he goes. He likely would cause problems. At the same time, his and DT's fans see drama in everything he does, and overanalyze every remark or action. So there's really no way for him to do anything without causing those same problems. From his perspective it's probably simplest to just do and say whatever the hell he wants because the resulting shitstorm will happen either way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
How about they both do their own thing at CTTE and nothing more?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »

This, exactly.

LTE was awesome, in the late 90's, but the time has passed.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
MP has sung some lead vocals, with Transatlantic and Flying Colors at least. So an MP solo album is not entirely unfeasible a concept. I mean, this cruise thing is still 11 months away, and whenever bands are shown to be playing these things, it's quite possible that they'll have new music to play by the time the shows come along.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
If they do something great, if they don't that's fine too.

I'm not sure if that 2008 CD/DVD box can be topped anyway.

Even Rush reuniting on a cruise (which won't ever happen anyway) isn't enough for me to go on cruise. The cruise idea has never been my thing.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
With both “trapped” on the same boat with so much prog in the air and so many prog fans, it’s almost a guarantee they will perform something together.  So there’s that to look forward to if someone gets a CTTE ticket.  Not enough for me, but it would still be fun.

LTE 3 would be cool, but ... I’m cool if it doesn’t happen.  Box set is good.

I’m still loving ITGD with MM and would rather JP release another solo before any more LTE. 

BTW I just posted a MM interview and he’s going to make a solo album.   :metal
Signature

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »
I find it surprising that people are expecting a LTE reunion despite the fact that it's been 20 years since the guys did their last album. You might as well keep your fingers crossed for a Winter Rose reunion.

Considering two of the members are still making music together in DT and the other 2 members have stated that they'd definitely be interested in doing something, I'm not sure why you think this is complete fantasy land.  Mike Portnoy also explained in the past that LTE stopped because they became effectively redundant once Rudess was in Dream Theater with him and JP.

I understand it may stir up some MP related stuff and, like I said, MM and JLB would probably not welcome it as it may be a way back into the band for Portnoy if they rediscover the joy of working together.  Not totally sure what Myung's feelings would be as he doesn't say much but I kind of get the impression he enjoys having a bit more creative input since MP left.

From a purely musical perspective though, I would love to hear LTE3.

Offline the keyboard wizard

Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Too bad it's 1st April.  :rollin

Online Mladen

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
Every time I promise myself I won't get fooled on April 1st.

And I always do.  :lol