Author Topic: Does your spouse/family share your taste and enthusiasm for music?  (Read 3648 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: Does your spouse/family share your taste and enthusiasm for music?
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:14 AM »
My wife of 30 years loves music, but only a very specific type:  classical music.  And within that small confine it's even narrower yet: only the major composers and their popular works (Beethoven/Mozart/Tchaikovsky and a handful of others).  Luckily, I enjoy these too and we make trips every year to Lincoln Center for the NY Phil and Tanglewood in the summers for the Boston Symph.  I tried expanding her scope with composers outside of the classical era, like Bach and Sibelius, but that was a no go.

I've taken her to a handful of rock shows like Yes/Rush/DT, but none of it really caught on with her.  Oh well.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Nope.

She had a Pink Floyd tattoo on her arm....  but that's the only musical interest she and I share. She has gone to see DT with me, but won't go to other prog bands.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »
We met through the love of music. We share similar tastes overall. Intelligent hard rock/metal. She had slightly heavier taste when we first met, now it's pretty much even. Some differences to be sure, but genre-wise, pretty identical.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »
My uncle and cousins were the ones who got me in to DT. Other than that, not so much.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Lethean

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
Not in the slightest. She could barely name 5 bands I listen to regularly.

My personal opinion is that some of the comments here are putting a little too much emphasis on musical tastes.

I must've married Cool Chris's wife's sister. 

For me, though, it's really two different questions.  You can have  "enthusiasm" for music, and not like the same kind of music.  My wife does have an enthusiasm for music, just not Kiss and Night Ranger.  Hahaha.  I note that her  enthusiasm is expressed differently.  I'm the completist, I need every song that Genesis put out, even that green Flexi-disk of Firth of Fifth Live from 1982 that has never been officially released on CD... she's content with Keith Urban's catalogue on Spotify or Rhapsody or some such shit.    For us, it's the enthusiasm - and thus mutual respect - for the music that's important.  Franky, I kind of LIKE going to concerts myself.   I get to watch what I want, I get to move closer if I want (or, like at Schenker last week, move back and  mingle).    I get to hang after the show (and I got to meet Gary Barden, Billy Squier and Dr. Allen Sloan that way) and I get to experience it the way I want to experience it.   

It's not the place, so I'll tone it down, but this notion of "musical taste" as something tangible, or worse yet, quantifiable, is nauseating to me.  I have four kids now, and for me, all I care about is that they like SOMETHING.   Whether it's Lil' Wayne, or One Direction, or Iron Maiden, it's not the point.   That I like Dream Theater or Neal Morse doesn't make me any better than someone that likes Cardi B or Migos.

I'm not getting that from this thread at all.  People aren't saying that they're better than their spouses/boyfriends/girlfriends.  Some are saying that it would just be cool to be able to share the music they're passionate about (while others are enjoying it being just their thing). 

There's nothing wrong with wishing you could share something that means a lot to you with the people closest to you.
I say whatever works. Some people spouses don't care about music at all, but it works for them.  In my own relationship it's been kinda important, but maybe that's just the way it worked out. We met at a show and go to some shows together. We listen to a lot of the same bands and spend a lot of time talking about, from what we like about the songs, this guitar player and that singer, to the drama stuff like MP on social media.  We find live performances and interviews on youtube and share them with each other, and then talk about it.  But there are also bands that one of us likes and the other doesn't, so for that reason or scheduling we also go to shows alone.  Doesn't make us better or worse than any one else, but I think it's great and *for me* it might be difficult being in a relationship with someone who shared none of that with me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 01:34:59 PM »
No, no, you're right and that was what the "it's not the place" was meant to cover. I'm talking about those other threads (here) where everything that's not prog symphonic metal is "shit".  There are little hints here - the dig at country for example - but you're right, no one has really said that here. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »
My brother shares most of my musical tastes and I've been introducing some of my favorite bands to my girlfriend very slowly and she likes a lot of them. I've gotten her into Anathema, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree and even some Riverside.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
I just thought of this thread so quick during a moment when I was cleaning up an event room and had on the newest The Contortionist album when a co-worker walked in...

Her: "Oh wow, this is really pretty, what band is this?"
Me: "The Contortionist, I don't think you'd like them."
Her: "I love this!"
Me: "Well you might like this one album, or part of it, but that'd be it."
Her: "Let me listen to something else, what other songs do you like by them?"
Me: "Okay I'll put on a few seconds of my other favorite songs"
*Plays Primal Directive for about five seconds, Oscillator for three seconds and Thrive for half a minute*
Her: "...................................Yeah. I've got a table I think".
Me: "The restaurant is empt-"
*She power walks out*

Something like this has happened with soooooooo many people.  :rollin Chalk it up to the love of music that has quiet and beautiful sections doused with vicious flames of awesomeness.

No, no, you're right and that was what the "it's not the place" was meant to cover. I'm talking about those other threads (here) where everything that's not prog symphonic metal is "shit".  There are little hints here - the dig at country for example - but you're right, no one has really said that here.

To expand on this just a tad, I (and others with their thoughts towards my music) can dislike a genre and express that dislike without thinking that people that like it are less than I. It's just blunt to say that I really couldn't be in a relationship with someone who blared their country as much as I blare my music; doesn't mean I think said person is horrible or less. More power to the people that love it. The issue arises when someone thinks that "their" (it's not theirs) music is better because, 9 times out of 10, it's more technically proficient, or has lyrics that cover half of The Odyssey and two Star Trek episodes. Hopefully no one got that from my comment because everyone can have their own tastes and hate/love what they want without throwing ad hominems around. There's plenty of people who abhor my music (see above), but just let it be and go about their way, which is how it should be.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:41:59 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of that is more of a short hand way of speaking to like minded people, than actually believing that what you like is objectively good and everything else is objectively bad.  I myself don't like country music, and a lot of other things.  I'm probably guilty of making certain comments from time to time.  But do I really think I'm better than someone who does?  Absolutely not. Just like you've probably made a comment or two about fans of a different sports team, but at the end of the day you know that it doesn't really mean anything.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »
Right, big difference between "I really don't like *insert genre*, I think it's shit". (I add in that last part of the comment because more often than not it's said, and I still think that part of the comment is fair) Hell, hate it if you want. But that and "*Genre* fans are numbskulls/etc. ad infinitum" are worlds apart.

I digress.

On the topic of the actual thread (title, specifically), the thread itself wasn't "do your close ones have enthusiasm for music as much as you", it was aligned with tastes as well. There's a few people who are as into music (in general, not just the genre) as I am that are my friends and family but not so much with the gumption that I have for it. That's why I mentioned my dislike of country at all, because that certain taste would put me off enough because of my dislike of it, and again, totally fair. On the enthusiasm side, there's nary a day when I'm not playing music for the majority of it; then there's my sisters and dad who will play it only in the car or when exercising. Most of the relationships I've been in have been much of the same; they "like" music, but they're not sitting in their room during down time with it on like I am...right now, and for the vast majority of the rest of any downtime I have.

Many people are enthusiastic about music of their own liking, but for a lot of people on this forum, that enthusiasm lining up with the genre is going to be a little more rare.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:32 PM »
When I listen to music in the car with my 6 year old daughter, she always tells me "Play something with a girl singing." Fortunately, anything will suffice, and she finds Epica, Leaves' Eyes, and Within Temptation quite enjoyable.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:03 PM »
When I listen to music in the car with my 6 year old daughter, she always tells me "Play something with a girl singing." Fortunately, anything will suffice, and she finds Epica, Leaves' Eyes, and Within Temptation quite enjoyable.

Rush and Dream Theater should work well too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2018, 07:34:18 AM »
There are definitely areas where we like the same music - rock, metal, and some punk. But I refuse to go to a Dead Show and he does not understand Happy Hardcore in the slightest...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »

I get what you're saying, but I think a lot of that is more of a short hand way of speaking to like minded people, than actually believing that what you like is objectively good and everything else is objectively bad.  I myself don't like country music, and a lot of other things.  I'm probably guilty of making certain comments from time to time.  But do I really think I'm better than someone who does?  Absolutely not. Just like you've probably made a comment or two about fans of a different sports team, but at the end of the day you know that it doesn't really mean anything.

I'm going to reinforce that I feel maybe this isn't the place, but I'll respond anyway:  there is very much - again in other threads here, not necessarily this one - where people believe that what they listen to makes them superior, at least in some respects if not overall.  "Smarter".  "Better listeners".   "More refined listeners".   It was just a topic of conversation about a week or so ago.   Someone said that people listening to bands like Dream Theater (It wasn't specifically DT, but it was someone like that) were better - in whatever specific way was mentioned - and I called bullshit on that.  I even name checked my go-to, Kiss and Night Ranger.   

There's a lot of negativity about country (specifically "bro-country") here, and I sort of get it, but I don't.  I've seen Keith Urban now about five times, and would go again in a heartbeat every time he comes around.   The dude plays guitar for real, and is a real talent.  Granted, some of his opening acts could use some self-editing, but you can't tell me that him and guys like Luke Bryan wouldn't be successful regardless of what genre they chose to participate in. 

This is relevant to the thread, because I only went to see him the first time as a sop to my wife, and was sold after the third song. (Plus, the crowd is like a mirror image of a Rush/Dregs concert.  All the women that don't go see the Dregs? They're at Keith Urban.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 08:15:11 AM »
There's a lot of negativity about country (specifically "bro-country") here, and I sort of get it, but I don't.  I've seen Keith Urban now about five times, and would go again in a heartbeat every time he comes around.   The dude plays guitar for real, and is a real talent.  Granted, some of his opening acts could use some self-editing, but you can't tell me that him and guys like Luke Bryan wouldn't be successful regardless of what genre they chose to participate in.

Pointing this out specifically because I think it's an interesting take and good conversation fodder, but I disagree with it. I don't think Keith Urban, Luke Bryan, etc. could be a prog artist, or even a hard rock artist. They're good at what they do, clearly, but that doesn't translate to another genre, it's like saying Lebron James would be a good hockey player because he's great at basketball, there's no evidence to support that. I also think the audiences are way too different: a country audience is not a rock audience is not a prog audience, etc.

That said I hate when people limit their musical world to one genre or one umbrella genre ("metal" or "rock" for example). There's good music out there all over the place and if people just listen with an open mind they'll start to enjoy music - not just one or a few kinds of it. Of course, I don't enjoy modern country like Keith Urban etc., but the old stuff? I'm down to hear that any time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
I'll give you Luke Bryan - because he doesn't have that operatic voice, and does have that smokey, crooner voice that works so well with his version of country, but I'll argue Keith Urban.  That guys guitar skills are up there.  Not "Steve Morse" up there, but up there.  He strikes me as a country Jack Blades; they do what they do, but they are not at the tip of their powers.   

As for the last comment?   Now you're preaching.   Old school - what is popularly known now as "outlaw country" - is so different than what is on the radio now...  Hank Williams, Jr. regularly covered Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Stones in his shows (when he was sober enough to have them) and you would be surprised how many rock acts have covered Kris Kristofferson tunes.   And some of the studio guys - guys like Randy Scruggs, Billy Walker, Reggie Young... they are some of the best studio musicians on the PLANET.  I mean Steve Lukather level.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
I'll give you Luke Bryan - because he doesn't have that operatic voice, and does have that smokey, crooner voice that works so well with his version of country, but I'll argue Keith Urban.  That guys guitar skills are up there.  Not "Steve Morse" up there, but up there.  He strikes me as a country Jack Blades; they do what they do, but they are not at the tip of their powers.   

As for the last comment?   Now you're preaching.   Old school - what is popularly known now as "outlaw country" - is so different than what is on the radio now...  Hank Williams, Jr. regularly covered Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Stones in his shows (when he was sober enough to have them) and you would be surprised how many rock acts have covered Kris Kristofferson tunes.   And some of the studio guys - guys like Randy Scruggs, Billy Walker, Reggie Young... they are some of the best studio musicians on the PLANET.  I mean Steve Lukather level.

Guy's got guitar skills no doubt, but that's only one facet of being an artist. Now, I say that, but I will drop fat money on a prog rock album by Keith Urban if he announced it, just because it's that unexpected. :)

Outlaw country. That's the term I'm looking for. Yes. What little I know, I love. Beats the crap outta that Chevy country ;)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

I'm going to reinforce that I feel maybe this isn't the place, but I'll respond anyway:  there is very much - again in other threads here, not necessarily this one - where people believe that what they listen to makes them superior, at least in some respects if not overall.  "Smarter".  "Better listeners".   "More refined listeners".   It was just a topic of conversation about a week or so ago.   Someone said that people listening to bands like Dream Theater (It wasn't specifically DT, but it was someone like that) were better - in whatever specific way was mentioned - and I called bullshit on that.  I even name checked my go-to, Kiss and Night Ranger.   

This is relevant to the thread, because I only went to see him the first time as a sop to my wife, and was sold after the third song. (Plus, the crowd is like a mirror image of a Rush/Dregs concert.  All the women that don't go see the Dregs? They're at Keith Urban.)

Was that in the "does Kiss suck or not thread" or elsewhere?  Again - I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't think most people here truly think they're "better."  Better listeners?  Maybe, and maybe in some ways that's true, but it depends on context and I think they'd agree.  If I didn't pay any attention to music at all, and just listened to whatever came on the radio without giving it much thought, I could call you a better listener than me, and it wouldn't be an insult to me.  Not a better person, not even someone with "better taste," but just a better listener.  If I only listened to popular music but really listened to it and did pay attention, then maybe not.  If you played me Supper's Ready and after 30 seconds I said "turn that off" and refused to listen to it or anything else - not such a great listener.  However, if I listened to it and in the end, just didn't like it, and didn't like any "prog" and only liked more popular stuff, so be it. 

As for Keith Urban - I'm not disparaging his guitar playing at all.  He might be a great guitar player.  I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, or anything about him at all.  Just that I don't like country music.  Not that there's nothing of value it in - just that I don't like it.  Might there be an exception or two?  Probably.  I spent a lot of time in college listening to all different kinds of stuff, and most of it didn't resonate with me.  Now, I don't choose to listen to a lot of genres, but every so often I'll check something out that someone else I know really loves, just to see if either my tastes have changed, or maybe this one particular artist is an exception to the rule for me.  I'm sure some here might be tempted to call me close minded, or themselves better listeners than me, and I'd say they might be partly right, but not entirely.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
I always say it's just not my cup of tea.  I've never been a fan of country music but I can take singular songs just not full albums.  That being said, they do have some killer guitarists like Urban, Vince Gill and Brad Paisley.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »
My wife is the greatest Team Player EVER!  In her world its mellow rock and some country.  But with me?  She goes to all the DT shows with me and she has a great playlist she listens too constantly filled with Kamelot and Nightwish.  Oh...and shes 57  :heart

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2018, 07:59:14 PM »

Was that in the "does Kiss suck or not thread" or elsewhere?  Again - I'm sure there are exceptions, but I don't think most people here truly think they're "better."  Better listeners?  Maybe, and maybe in some ways that's true, but it depends on context and I think they'd agree.  If I didn't pay any attention to music at all, and just listened to whatever came on the radio without giving it much thought, I could call you a better listener than me, and it wouldn't be an insult to me.  Not a better person, not even someone with "better taste," but just a better listener.  If I only listened to popular music but really listened to it and did pay attention, then maybe not.  If you played me Supper's Ready and after 30 seconds I said "turn that off" and refused to listen to it or anything else - not such a great listener.  However, if I listened to it and in the end, just didn't like it, and didn't like any "prog" and only liked more popular stuff, so be it. 

I don't think the term is "better person", as in, morally superior, or anything like that.  But there is a value judgment.  And whether it's "listening skills" or something else, I think there's a value judgment on the part of many that listen to, say, Opeth or Spock's Beard, and the average person that listens to Taylor Swift or Night Ranger.  I think it's human nature; we all want to think we're special, that we have some skill or insight that others don't.    And I just think that's funny with music, because to a large degree it's visceral.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't "plan" what I like.  I listen and it's a gut feeling; do I like it?  Later, I might listen closer/closely to see if I can glean nuances and details, and yes, sometimes those details will bring the music to the next level, but not always. 

As for Keith Urban - I'm not disparaging his guitar playing at all.  He might be a great guitar player.  I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, or anything about him at all.  Just that I don't like country music.  Not that there's nothing of value it in - just that I don't like it.  Might there be an exception or two?  Probably.  I spent a lot of time in college listening to all different kinds of stuff, and most of it didn't resonate with me.  Now, I don't choose to listen to a lot of genres, but every so often I'll check something out that someone else I know really loves, just to see if either my tastes have changed, or maybe this one particular artist is an exception to the rule for me.  I'm sure some here might be tempted to call me close minded, or themselves better listeners than me, and I'd say they might be partly right, but not entirely.

I have no beef with that.  There are plenty of things I doin't like.  Bob Dylan is unlistenable to me.  Horrible.  But I have to be honest and say "I don't get it" rather than "Bob Dylan sucks", because he's CLEARLY a legend.  CLEARLY.  My beef isn't with you, or people that don't like country (I could give a shit, frankly; I have no skin in that game myself) it's with the people that say "ah, bro country blows, man.  Pickup trucks, whiskey and sleeping with your sister." 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:20:01 AM by Stadler »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
My Fiancee pretty much hates everything I like (she definitely judges it before she listens to it). She's mainly listens to 6Radio, here in the UK, and doesn't really listen to albums. Her main love is reggae but she does have quite a varied music taste. She's nowhere near as passionate as me though.

When I play music that's a little bit on the loud/angry/heavy/aggressive side she starts telling me how awful it is and that she can't understand how I like it. The joke is she has a friend from school, who I share a lot of musical taste with, who asks her to gigs and stuff. We all went to see Mogwai together recently and he's asked her to go see Alcest with him before (when I mentioned that I was into Alcest, as she had no clue, she got a bit shitty as she's intimidated my how much music I listen to and how many bands I know etc). She's all for it then (I think it's because she wants him to think she's cool and that she can appreciate a wide variety of music). I love her to pieces but she gets caught out because when I've recently listened to Mogwai or Alcest at home she's been like "What's this crap? Turn it off." and I will smugly reply "This is Alcest/Mogwai, you went to see them with Jake!". She shuts up then  :lol but she definitely jumps to the conclusion that music I listen to is shit and she won't like it. She has to say it through gritted teeth when she says she likes something I listen to.

On the flipside though, because I know she hates anything too heavy, I often play stuff that is more easy listening when we are home together. Back when I got into The Dear Hunter I played them loads because they are pretty accessible. She got fed up with them because I played them too much though  :lol

I basically can't win. We do share some musical taste and we go to gigs and festivals together so it's not all bad. I just wish she would give some of the music that I know she'd actually like, if she gave it a chance, a listen.

The final thing I wanted to add is that she finds it crazy how much time I spend on DTF  :lol when I'm posting on here she's like "Who are you messaging?" and I'm like "DTF" and she just rolls her eyes :rollin

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 05:09:56 AM »

Guy's got guitar skills no doubt, but that's only one facet of being an artist. Now, I say that, but I will drop fat money on a prog rock album by Keith Urban if he announced it, just because it's that unexpected. :)

Outlaw country. That's the term I'm looking for. Yes. What little I know, I love. Beats the crap outta that Chevy country ;)

This is a little off topic but I worked at a basketball venue in college that also hosted concerts so I got to see a lot of shows that came through, one of those shows was Brad Paisley. Holy fuck that guy can play some guitar.