Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 105428 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
i still haven't listened to it but ev is the expert on that style of symphonic/prog metal so i'm going in with lowered expectations whenever i do get around to it

Don't worry... you'll hate it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
It's Sunday ....

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Going over them one last time to check all the boxes. Results sooner than expected. Gimme a couple hours.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Going over them one last time to check all the boxes. Results sooner than expected. Gimme a couple hours.
But that's like forever!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
my :soon: is ready

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
First, thanks to everybody for participating. Everyone has shown me something I liked, even on the ones that ranked lowest or even when it sounds like I'm nitpicking. I wouldn't mind buying any of these albums for my collection. Some of them I think are growers, but after multiple listens just didn't rank high enough to continue. To the bottom 4: thanks for playing, and in one instance making me a little more open minded about an artist I wasn't particularly keen on listening to. To the other 10: you have 48 hours to send your next album. Remember, no themes, only tasty music.

This was a lot of work to type up and format it properly so I really hope everything is where it should be and looks good.

1. IQ - The Road of Bones
sent by Evermind
2014; progressive rock/metal

I've heard of IQ for years and I'm kicking myself now for never checking them out. I was very happy listening to this album. The softness, the lack of heavy songwriting, it was simply mesmerizing. The best moments on this album are when it is as soft and unintrusive as possible, but even the heavier and upbeat moments are breathtaking. With the really long tracks, I always hoped they'd keep going. I never wanted them to end. I'm convinced everybody has some albums that just resonate with them on a deeper level, and that is what this album is for me. I love every single thing about this, from the fantastic vocals ("and when I throw my weight around" and "as I walk the road of bones" just won't get out of my head) to the shimmering synths and everything in between. Lovely keyboard work, the title track is just perfect in every way with its spacey nature. I love that this band takes its time and is never in a hurry just to get to a heavy riff section. The last track actually brought tears to my eyes. This is a true work of art and I am so happy to have been introduced to this. I did not listen to the second disc because it was the length of another album, but I absolutely will when the roulette is over. 9.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: The Road of Bones, Without Walls, Until The End

2. Mystery - The World Is A Game
sent by jingle.boy
2012; progressive rock

This is, in a word, enchanting. There's a cool atmosphere to the entire record, and this is the kind of prog rock I enjoy. It has its odd meters and cool instrumental parts, but it's not unnecessarily complex or busy. It's got groove, sense of melody, emotional lyrics and singing - I can't think of anything I dislike about this record. This is what Rush would've continued to sound like if they had continued down the Hemispheres path, I think. I never found myself checking the time or being anxious for it to end, even in the 19 minute epic "Another Day" - I just wanted this album to continue playing. What I really enjoy is that the singing - his voice, the lyrics, the melodies - really speaks to me. When he shouts out, "Pride / How does it feel to cry? / How does it feel to have to hide?" it hits my heart. This is taking 3 parts Rush and blending it with 1 parts Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, and Marillion. The 'fogeys' know their music. Spellbound from start to finish - I was actually happier after listening to this magical album. Jingle came out guns blazing and hit every mark with this one. 9.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Pride; Dear Someone; The World Is A Game

3. Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating by the Stars
sent by Puppies_On_Acid
2005; progressive metal

Oh, now this was a fun one. You know what I like about prog metal? These guys. There's always room for the bass to pop in, which adds so much to a song and I love it. There isn't much in the way of sludgy, super low guitar riffs, either - it's always doing something interesting in terms of keeping melody or playing a melodic riff, I really enjoy that. I hear some Yes influence hear and there, although I don't listen to Yes - the 'doo doos' in particular. I really enjoy the singer's voice, it's kind of midrange but has this smooth quality that complements the vibe of the music they're playing. I don't feel weighed down by this music and I love it, it's almost carefree at times and I feel like I can see the members having fun with it, like the middle section of Stigmata. There's a wise choice in planting that track in the middle of the album because to me it's the most fun song on the album and it helped with the album's flow. Blue Wide Open has some gorgeous guitars, lovely Spanish guitar style in there. Another band I've heard few people talk about. Perhaps I've been in the wrong corners of the Internet my whole life. Simply put, it's solid prog metal (rock?) that doesn't bash you over the head letting you know they're good at their instrument or genre. It was actually fun and interesting and every time I've finished it I wanted to go back and play it again, which is good because this still demands more spins to digest it all. 9.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: The Weight; Stigmata; Blue Wide Open

4. Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places
sent by Parama
2012; progressive rock

I fully expected to hate this, and instead I fell in love with it. I've never heard anything quite like this before. It's wild and fresh. The first track mislead me with a soothing choir arrangement, but then it does a 180. The peppy guitars, the horns, the incredibly... odd? voice of the singer, I initially did detest this. But there was something about it that grew on me. The singer's voice, in a normal rock/metal context, would annoy the hell out of me. In this music, though, this strangely upbeat but kind of heavy music but with horns, it somehow works. He even sounds tough sometimes, but the songs never sound angry or sad. I have no idea if this is prog or something else, but whatever it is, I can't get it out of my head. There's a crazy, positive vibe to these songs and lots of modern flourishes. It's such a welcome change from the typical gloomy, heavy vibe that permeates so much prog music I've heard. I didn't get bored with this album at all, and I crave more like it. It's simultaneously simpler but stranger than almost anything else in this round without sounding contrived. 8.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existence; Suspicious Waveforms; My Famed Disappearing Act

5. Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
sent by Tomislav95
2009; progressive metal

First, this gets closer to the sweet spot with prog metal for me. I'm a little tired of hour-long (or more) albums, and this is only 44 minutes, that really does make a difference. The whole thing makes me think of Tool meets Katatonia meets Steven Wilson meets... something else? The section around 3:00 in Egoist Hedonist sounds like game show metal, which isn't good or bad, just a funny observation. The synth work on this album is absolutely delightful and adds to the trippy atmosphere of this album. The overall vibe makes me think of Katatonia on psychedelics. I feel grimy listening to parts of this. I don't expect anybody else to relate to this, but it makes me feel grimy in the sense of an acid trip, and by that I mean I know I'm clean and there's nothing to worry about, but the music seems to permeate my soul and make me feel... heady. That's the word, heady. The synth leads are gorgeous and have this bite to them that thickens up the already aggressive guitars. I enjoyed this a lot more than Second Life Syndrome because it's more concise, trippier, and uses some really cool rhythms and scales. It's less doom and gloom than Second Life Syndrome, yet somehow darker in ways I just can't properly put into words. The last song is really, really freaking good, I can't get enough of that. There are almost Ayreon-like vibes with the synth work; it reminds me of preset patch rhythms on my old MicroKorg that tend to pop up in Ayreon's music. This one got better with each replay. This is the side of Riverside I greatly enjoy. The way the album begins is one of my favorite beginnings of any of the submissions this round. 8.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Hyperactive, Egoist Hedonist, Hybrid Times

6. Fair To Midland - Fables From A Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times Is True
sent by home
2007; progressive rock(?)

Oh, this is a cool album. From the get-go it has this cool air, a kind of groove that I can get down with. I like the keys - since I can play, I can see in my head the keyboardist's hands dancing in patterns I enjoy playing, and the vocalist has this amazing ability to do all sorts of different styles, plus he has a respectable range which I find impressive. I dig a lot of the melodic choices made on this album a lot. There's just something inherently captivating about the songwriting, it speaks to me. There's a really chill, upbeat atmosphere over the whole album. I enjoyed that because again, it's a break from the typically gloomy atmosphere a lot of prog metal tends to have (this is a very big sticking point for me). At times it reminds me of Thank You Scientist in that way, but not as wacky, and with its own identity. I'm huge on vocalists and again, this guy adds so much to help the songs stand out from other bands. This one helped one work day in particular go by quickly this week, and I've found it super fun to play at the gym. I'm keeping my eye on this band for future listening excursions, because I really enjoyed this record. 8.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Dance of the Manatee; The Wife, the Kids, and the White Picket Fence; Walls of Jericho

7. Rainbow - Rising
sent by Stadler
300 B.C. 1976; hard rock/heavy metal

What can I say about this that hasn't been said for the last 40 years? I've always wanted to check out Rainbow but for some reason just never did. This is something else, though. Hooked immediately with that kickass synth solo at the start of Tarot Woman. The production added some strangely charming quality to this album; once I cranked it loudly, I could hear very subtle details in the playing of each instrument, and it sounds so real. This is the one I cranked so loudly I feared the neighbors calling the cops. Something about how straightforward the whole album is gets to me. It doesn't need a thousand layers. It doesn't have to do a whole lot of revolutionary songwriting. There are a couple songs here that are, frankly, by the numbers, but they're done so well with so much conviction that I found myself singing along after the first listen, it stuck on my brain that much. Best of all, it's only 33 minutes. Even Stargazer is just as long as it needs to be, and let me tell you, finally playing that on some quality speakers as opposed to FM radio was a fun experience. Dio is considered the godfather of power metal and for good reason: I regret not hearing this album when I was younger. Fun fact, so far this is the only one I have bought. I found a copy of this at the record store yesterday, snatched it up, and cranked the bastard all the way down the highway home. No filler, no over the top bullshit, just rock and f'ing roll, like it should be! 8.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Tarot Woman, Do You Close Your Eyes, Stargazer

8. Snarky Puppy - Family Dinner, Vol. 1
sent by Sacul
2013; jazz fusion

I was really hoping to get something completely different when I started the roulette, and this fits the bill. Brilliant pick out of left field from Sacul. Jazz? Fusion? A bunch of other stuff? This is a musical smorgasbord. And it's live! I hardly believed it at first. I want to compare this with a studio album of theirs, because they are super tight live from the sound of this album. The singing is so good, though, it has to be the star of this album. Amour T'es La and I'm Not The One in particular got my attention. I've been trying to branch out of rock and metal for a long time and this is another great example of stuff I dig big time. This was actually the last album I listened to in this round, but it quickly became one of the better ones. The only reason it doesn't score higher is because it isn't a studio album and the writing credits on Spotify show them going to a bunch of different people, so I'm kind of in the dark on who wrote the songs, who's actually in the group, and what they sound like in the studio. But honestly, this is superb coming right out of left field. 8.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Amour Te's La, Turned Away, I'm Not The One

9. Myrath - Legacy
sent by ariich
2016; progressive metal

At first, this album didn't click with me. The first half is good, but the second half is where it really shines. This is a great one. The back half is loaded with some real killer tunes, this is some epic prog-power metal without trying to do too much all the time. I really, really like the singer, because he elevates the band: he has just the right amount of power and emotion when it's called for, and his melismas - singing the same syllable across many notes - remind me of Orphaned Land, in a good way. Wasn't expecting several things like the brief electronic moments or the jaunty piano on Endure the Silence, but those were really cool to hear. There's variety, but not so much that it's overwhelming. Huge songs, sincere music. I spun this three times, and it demands more, so I'll be returning to this for sure in the future. There's little if any filler, maybe it could've been a couple songs shorter at most. Always end your album with a strong song, because I wanted to replay this as soon as it ended - Other Side is a fantastic closer and a good summary of what this album is like in my opinion. 8.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Believer, I Want To Die, Other Side

10. Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
sent by Lethean
2005; progressive metal

Do these guys know what happiness is? This is a very gloomy, depressing record, from the very beginning with the miserable spoken words. This has some kind of energy to it I'm finding hard to describe. It's like Katatonia with Steven Wilson but not quite either of them. The singer is bland and is my least favorite part of this album because he just sounds like he doesn't want to be there, like he's not interested. Jonas Renske Syndrome, I jokingly call it. That said, I really dig the way he transitions smoothly from clean singing into angry shouting, he does that well. Other than the singer, this album rocks. It has this energetic but serene vibe, like Mikael Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson making musical magic together. I like how there are times when the guitars are simply allowed to breathe, like at the start of Second Life Syndrome. Several moments remind me of Tool, like (again) in the title track about 10 minutes in. When the riffs get heavy, I kind of lose interest, but they pull me back in sometimes with great synth work (Reality Dream III for example). This album is way too long and a little too bleak, but I've enjoyed it more with each repeat listen, so perhaps my quibbles with the singer will subside in the future. Lots of moments on this album I enjoy, but I wish they had trimmed the fat. It's way too long for something this bleak, but when it slows down (I wish all of Dance with the Shadows was like its beginning), it is something beautiful. (I initially said this reminded me of Tool, but on repeat listens, I could hear more differences.) 8.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Conceiving You; Second Life Syndrome; Reality Dream III

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:21:59 PM by Kattoelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

11. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World For Tomorrow
sent by twosuitsluke
2007; progressive rock

You know, the overarching concept is cool in theory... but it doesn't do anything for me, sadly. Reading up on this concept that links Coheed and Cambria's albums together, I was expecting some super epic rock opera. Unfortunately, for as complex and sprawling as the sci-fi story is, I don't get any of that out of the music. I hear standard pop-rock/metal with little else. So, while I tried to dig the concept, I just couldn't stay interested at all in it. Now, just playing them at work and at the gym, this was a really fun album. Songs like Feathers are awesome, fun and catchy and that's where the singer's voice shines for me, it's a highlight of the album. The lack of keyboards really hurts though - with 13 tracks, I was really expecting some artsy synth work to help prop up such a weighty concept. The guitars that open The Fall of House Atlantic are really cool, though, and stand out, but I wish that track was a bit longer. Radio Bye Bye is a fun tune, but is almost a carbon copy of everything else on the album. Overall, it's a fairly homogeneous album that plays it safe and doesn't experiment nearly as much as I would like, but I enjoy it more on repeat listens especially in active situations for me like work or the gym. The guy's voice is still not my favorite, that sound isn't something I'm crazy about, but he fits the music. I would not be opposed to hearing more of them. This album was the toughest one to decide to cut, and if there weren't so many other awesome albums submitted this round, it may have stuck around. 7.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Feathers; Gravemakers & Gunslingers; The Road and the Damned

12. Ascendia - The Lion and the Jester
sent by TAC
2015; progressive power metal

I wondered with some amusement while listening to this whether or not Tac read my disposition towards power metal. This was a risky submission. I've said recently that power metal needs to flirt with prog metal ideas (whatever you define those as) to remain fresh and interesting. This includes just enough to not go in radical directions but enough to keep me a little interested. But that's it - only a little. On repeat listens I found myself getting antsy and wanting it to wrap up early, because I think there are a few too many songs here. Now, on one hand, this is way better than almost all the power metal I have tried listening to the last few years. I am very picky about power metal vocals, and I actually really like this guy's voice, so that adds to my enjoyment. At the end of the day, though, I feel like I've heard this a hundred times, no matter how polished it might be. It's good, but not good enough to pull me back into the genre. It's a serviceable album for the gym, and I'd like to follow up with this band later to see if they do some proggier stuff. 7.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: At the End of It All; Remember Me; The Song That You Deserved

13. Soen - Lykaia
sent by Train of Naught
2017; progressive metal

I'm seeing this band at ProgPower later this year, so this was a surprisingly apt choice. Unfortunately, while it's pretty good at one kind of prog metal style, it never seems to stray far away from that. It definitely sounds like Opeth in lots of ways, from the vocals to some of the riffs - Orison reminds me of Blackwater Park riffs at times - and it even sounds quite a bit like Tool. Unfortunately, every song sounds pretty similar to one another, and there's nothing here that really stands out from any other band doing this style of prog metal. By the third spin, I got kind of tired and would check how far along I was - always at the halfway mark. It's good, certainly not bad, but very same-y and there isn't much that screams "unique" to me. I feel like I've heard this before, despite not being hugely knowledgeable on prog metal. I think I will enjoy hearing this live more. For what it's worth, I recall hearing their first album once way back when, and despite my complaints with this, I think Lykaia is far superior, so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on these guys. I like them more when they aren't playing heavy riffs. I'm ready to experience their live show now... 7.0/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Lucidity; Opal; Paragon

14. Ostura - The Room
sent by lonestar
2018; symphonic progressive metal

I'm probably going to get hate for this, but I was really let down with this. There is way too much going on in almost every song. They can't seem to just stick to one idea and develop that. It's dripping with musical talent, but I got exhausted towards the end. There's just too much going on, as if the songs rarely know where they're going. Both of the singers meander around the melodies and nothing sticks; riffs come and go; orchestrations are shoved everywhere without any focus on making a memorable song. Every song seems to ebb and flow with the rhythm and tempo, and the album is already 74 minutes, so every song ends up sounding like each other. Each musician proves themselves capable, there are some impressive solos, some incredible vocal moments like at the end of Escape, and this is insanely good from a technical point of view, but I think this album embodies the word 'overhyped' unfortunately. I wanted to like it, I really did, but it's just too much for a concept that I don't really find compelling - after four spins, every time the album ends, I immediately forget which song is which... Less is more. But who knows - I can tell blood, sweat, and tears went into this album, so perhaps over time it'll grow on me. I haven't written them off entirely, but this album is a miss for me. 6.5/10

FAVORITE TRACKS: Escape; Only One; Deathless

Scores
1. Evermind - 9.5
2. jingle.boy - 9.5
3. Puppies_On_Acid - 9.0
4. Parama - 8.5
5. Tomislav95 - 8.5
6. home - 8.5
7. Stadler - 8.5
8. Sacul - 8.0
9. ariich - 8.0
10. Lethean - 8.0
11. twosuitsluke - 7.0
12. TAC - 7.0
13. Train of Naught - 7.0
14. lonestar - 6.5

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Peace bitches... Happy enough that my favorite band won the round.

Based on the writeups, it'd be criminal if someone didn't send Marillion... Just saying...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I want to stress that NOBODY sent a 'bad' album. Ostura is simply too grandiose for my taste, but I certainly don't think it is a bad album. Just not for me (I do like to emphasize the difference between something not gelling with me, and something that is genuinely subpar). Thanks for playing, lonestar. :)

Now I'm gonna go get some desperately needed fresh air. Hit me with what you got for round 2, ya'll.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
If I had thoroughly read your OP, I would've never sent Ostura. I just sent.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I had thoroughly read your OP, I would've never sent Ostura. I just sent.  :lol

I'll admit it's extremely long, but that's why I bolded everything  :rollin You at least sent me something I was already interested in hearing, though!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
7. Rainbow - Rising
sent by Stadler
300 B.C. 1976; hard rock/heavy metal

:rollin :rollin

Ostura last ... da fuq?  And damn... two fogey's down.  You and me gotta carry the torch Stads.

Glad to come out all :huckleberry: though.

Will send later tonight ... I know exactly what the play is.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gonna have to update the J Boy vs TAC standings.

Have fun, boys!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Probably shouldn't have gone with such a 'safe' album, just not suuper familiar with you and your tastes :-[

The show should be awesome. When I saw them, they faded out on a heavy version of the Jinn outro, lit incense candles, and came back with the original outro. Love the spirituality in their music and that really came to the forefront at that point. Glad TYS, Snarky Puppy and Fair to Midland made it through too :metal good luck to all the others
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Probably shouldn't have gone with such a 'safe' album, just not suuper familiar with you and your tastes :-[

The show should be awesome. When I saw them, they faded out on a heavy version of the Jinn outro, lit incense candles, and came back with the original outro. Love the spirituality in their music and that really came to the forefront at that point. Glad TYS, Snarky Puppy and Fair to Midland made it through too :metal good luck to all the others

One reason I feel bad cutting people is because there were more people who signed up than I ever expected, and if this wasn't an album roulette I probably would've done a penalty-free first round, then the real eliminations later, but I didn't want to burn myself out by the end of eliminations with so many albums - so anyone who unfortunately got axed didn't really get a chance to test the waters. From what you say, their live show will be really cool.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
What sucks is that seeing IQ and Mystery at 1 and 2, I got about twenty bands of similar caliber to send...

• DTF.org Member
I'm not even mad that my album finished 3rd to The Road of Bones and The World is a Game, those are both fantastic albums. Glad you enjoyed mine too. Definitely check out their last album called Paramount once the roulette is over. I'll be sending something later today for the official first round. Question - Did you remove the time constraint? You just don't want any 2 disc albums right?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
we in there boys  :metal
now it's time to send the weird/bad stuff

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
As I was scrolling, I feared I had gotten the axe, but glad I'm still in. Don't mind that Anno Domini scoring higher than my album, it's a fantastic record and I agree, Hybrid Times is :2metal: .

Snarky Puppy are mostly a live band, haven't tried their studio records yet, but they don't have many, and each live album is very different from each other, not having the same setlist at all. Check We Like it Here, it's mostly instrumental, and has fantastic vibes, grooves, comfy mood, and lots of fun songs.

Offline Lethean

Glad you enjoyed Riverside, and I don't care that you liked ADHD better - that album is incredible.  It is by far their heaviest album though - so while I definitely think you should check out their whole discography, just realize that the rest isn't as metal as ADHD.  But it's all fantastic. As I think I said in the Riverside thread, I don't think they've made a bad song. Glad you called out some of the guitar work - Piotr was really special and watching him live, you could tell that he really felt what he was playing.

About the vocals - first, being compared to Jonas Renkse is an incredible compliment as far as I'm concerned.  :) I know you didn't mean it that way, but it is. Aside from that, I do think it's likely his voice will grow on you.  It worked that way for me, big time.  I thought they were just kinda there, and at the time was also looking for something heavier, but something kept drawing me back to that album. At some point I came to really like his voice and I think it's a perfect fit for the music. 

From here on out, I'm just sending you what I like.  I'm not concerned with winning, just sharing what I love, though obviously I won't send something I think you'll hate.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'm gonna send a balance of what i like & what i expect to do well, fortunately i picked out an album for round 1 that definitely hits the first box & should hit the second just fine as well  :metal
can't believe this band wasn't banned actually, probably would've sent them for round 0 if i'd realized but i mean i don't regret sending TYS

though, fair warning, despite the fact that it will not score well, i'm sending The Apologist in the final round if i make it to the final round
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:48:49 PM by Parama »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I think there are no more eliminations. In that case, my goal is to send stuff that doesn't fall into any kind of rock or metal till the end :P

Offline Tomislav95

Second Life Syndrome is my favorite but ADHD is more :metal and I figure maybe you'd like it better. And also, SLS is over 60 minutes long :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
What sucks is that seeing IQ and Mystery at 1 and 2, I got about twenty bands of similar caliber to send...

That's what happens when ya go with your heart, and not your head.  And given you're at the top of the leaderboard, give the rest of us a chance for (another) victory.   ;D

If it's any consolation, your #1 in my books.  Seriously, of the DTF influenced music in my library, you're easily the biggest culprit to the demise of my retirement savings.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If it's any consolation, your #1 in my books.  Seriously, of the DTF influenced music in my library, you're easily the biggest culprit to the demise of my retirement savings.

Jeesh J Boy!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Jeesh J Boy!

Don't feel left out.... Mrs TAC is #2 in my books.  :heybaby:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Just think of it as a missed opportunity and keep an eye out for future roulettes. I'd love to do this again because this is reigniting my passion for finding and listening to new music in a big way, and I have no doubt those who got cut have plenty of other awesome stuff to pick from.

I'm not even mad that my album finished 3rd to The Road of Bones and The World is a Game, those are both fantastic albums. Glad you enjoyed mine too. Definitely check out their last album called Paramount once the roulette is over. I'll be sending something later today for the official first round. Question - Did you remove the time constraint? You just don't want any 2 disc albums right?

Correct. Do not send me double albums, but the time limit is gone. Evermind touched on this with IQ. There are two discs on The Road of Bones, but he specified the first disc specifically, whereas the second disc was a bunch of extra tracks to make a 2-disc album. I would've accepted either disc but not both. Or, if I wasn't a Symphony X fan, if someone sent the 1-CD version of Iconoclast I'd take it, or either disc of the 2-CD special set. But if you submit something like an Ayreon album, for example, where both discs are required for the full experience/understanding of a given concept, you might want to rethink. Does that make sense? I hope so. I just don't want to get 1 half of a concept album to judge, y'know?

Snarky Puppy are mostly a live band, haven't tried their studio records yet, but they don't have many, and each live album is very different from each other, not having the same setlist at all. Check We Like it Here, it's mostly instrumental, and has fantastic vibes, grooves, comfy mood, and lots of fun songs.

Very cool. Snarky Puppy is definitely a group I'm going to dive into. I liked how different it was from everything else, but also the chops on display were extraordinary. Just a delight from start to finish, I was actually listening to the whole thing again while I put the finishing touches on the write-ups this morning.

About the vocals - first, being compared to Jonas Renkse is an incredible compliment as far as I'm concerned.  :) I know you didn't mean it that way, but it is. Aside from that, I do think it's likely his voice will grow on you.  It worked that way for me, big time.  I thought they were just kinda there, and at the time was also looking for something heavier, but something kept drawing me back to that album. At some point I came to really like his voice and I think it's a perfect fit for the music. 

I think Jonas works well for Katatonia, but I really don't enjoy when artists seem to channel his vibe and style, even unintentionally. It just sounds like the guy doesn't want to be there. I'll relate it to the last Sonata Arctica album, which, although a completely different style, has Tony Kakko just kind of murmuring his way through each song like he's bored and tired and really couldn't care less. I crave energetic vocals. "Thank You Scientist" really turned me around on the guy's voice in that aspect: at first I couldn't stand him, but the more I listened and heard his powerful singing and inventive melodies, I dug it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
i'm gonna send a balance of what i like & what i expect to do well, fortunately i picked out an album for round 1 that definitely hits the first box & should hit the second just fine as well  :metal
can't believe this band wasn't banned actually, probably would've sent them for round 0 if i'd realized but i mean i don't regret sending TYS

though, fair warning, despite the fact that it will not score well, i'm sending The Apologist in the final round if i make it to the final round

No eliminations from here on out - I didn't want to cut more than I had to, because I want to find as much music as possible. So it's pretty much bragging rights. If I don't come up with an idea for the final round within the next 2 or 3 rounds, then yeah, it'll just be for fun, whoever wins.

I haven't checked my PMs yet so I don't know what's been sent but I'll look tonight, got some chores to do that got put off since Friday  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

I'll finally see both bands for the first time in October.   RJ got me into IQ.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I'll finally see both bands for the first time in October.   RJ got me into IQ.

Seen IQ, though that was twenty years ago, so I'm more than primed for another shot. Really hoping to make Progstock happen. As much as I'd like to see Mystery and Enchant, they pale in comparison to IQ and the delightful young lady that lives about 15 minutes from the venue.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey, no pressure. The Queen loves, loves, love The Road Of Bones.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The delightful young lady is the most important meet.