Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 105370 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. Round Ø Hangmen!
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
I will lift the time restriction after this round. But I have a hard 'forbidden' stance on double albums. I am thinking about allowing those for the final round. Since there are no eliminations after this one, everyone remaining will have a chance.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
I don't really care either way because I meant to start with IQ anyway. But if I make it, yeah, a time limit increase would be helpful.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
I don't really care either way because I meant to start with IQ anyway. But if I make it, yeah, a time limit increase would be helpful.

I think Stadler offset the imbalance anyway with his 33 minute submission
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
And an excellent submission, if you ask me. I like Rainbow - Rising better than anything from IQ.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
We'll see about that!

Might be quiet on my end for a few days, folks. Lots to digest, so I apologize if there isn't much activity here til the weekend, I don't want to give away impressions too much.

EDIT: May have first impression write-ups tomorrow night. I think a second listen is all I need for this round.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:58:55 PM by Kattoelox »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand  :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2018, 10:25:49 PM »
We'll see about that!

Might be quiet on my end for a few days, folks. Lots to digest, so I apologize if there isn't much activity here til the weekend, I don't want to give away impressions too much.

EDIT: May have first impression write-ups tomorrow night. I think a second listen is all I need for this round.
Take your time, let these albums sink in. I'm actually kind of regretting not doing an album roulette for mine. I'm finding it harder to judge things based on one song... Oh well, I'm gonna stick to it and besides I can always do an album roulette next time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm trying to pay very close attention to every album and give the focus they deserve, especially because I don't want to disappoint people or offend them by not respecting albums they really like. It's amazing how helpful taking notes is when you try to remember details of an album after hearing it. Good thing I did that. To tide people over til I post the full list tonight, here are a few snippets of first impressions. Feel free to debate who they're describing.

• "This is wild, and more importantly, fresh to my ears. I fully expected to hate it, but ended up falling in love with it."
  • "It's dripping with musical talent, but I got exhausted towards the end. There's just too much going on sometimes, as if the songs rarely know where they're going."
  • "I feel grimy, like acid trip grimy, where you know you're clean, but still feel kind of... like you want to scrub something away that isn't there, it soaks into you."
  • "I played this so loudly I was afraid the neighbors would call the cops or come banging on my door, and it still wasn't as loud as I wanted. This kicks serious ass."

We'll definitely have this wrapped up Sunday. I've been playing these albums nonstop since they were sent to me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Yeah, I don't think any of these applies to The Road of Bones. Kinda think the last one could be Rainbow Rising though, I always want to crank it up.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
Do not think any of those is mine either. Even though I'd disagree, the 2nd could be Thank You Scientist

Thinking one of the Riverside's could be the first?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2018, 11:53:04 AM »
If the second one is TYS I'd be surprised especially with how straightforward the song structures are, sounds more like snarky puppy from what I know of them  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
I'm on the second listen now, so I'll share some brief excerpts of the writeups (which will be much longer and less cryptic when finished). But the first impressions were mostly good. I do want to stress that there isn't one bad album in the lot - I don't dislike any of them, but figuring out which will get past is going to be agonizing. And yes, these are mixed up and don't match the submission list :)

1. "Power metal needs to flirt with prog metal to remain fresh. This does exactly that."

2. "This is wild, and more importantly, fresh to my ears. I fully expected to hate it, but ended up falling in love with it."

3. "It's dripping with musical talent, but I got exhausted towards the end. There's just too much going on sometimes, as if the songs rarely know where they're going."

4. "The heavy riff moments remind me a lot of Tool, and I like this, but I don't like Tool. I'm confused."

5. "I feel grimy listening to parts of this, like acid trip grimy, where you know you're clean, but still feel kind of... like you want to scrub something away that isn't there, it soaks into you."

6. "Simply solid prog metal that doesn't bash you over the head letting you know they're good at their instrument or genre. It was actually fun and interesting."

7. "The guy's voice is still not my favorite - that sound isn't something I'm crazy about."

8. "It's pretty good at one kind of prog metal style, but it never seems to stray far away from that."

9. "I played this so loudly I was afraid the neighbors would call the cops or come banging on my door, and it still wasn't as loud as I wanted. This kicks serious ass."

10. "There's a cool, upbeat atmosphere throughout this album and I enjoyed that because it's a break from the typically gloomy atmosphere that a lot of prog seems to have."

11. "It was a real treat to experience this mostly relaxing work of art. I love every single thing about this."

12. "Spellbound from start to finish - I was actually happier after listening to this magical album. The Forum Fogeys know some damn good music."

13. "I was really hoping to get something completely different when I started the roulette, and this fits the bill. Brilliant pick out of left field."

14. "Little if any filler. Always end your album with a strong song - I wanted to replay this as soon as it ended."

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
7. "The guy's voice is still not my favorite - that sound isn't something I'm crazy about."

Damn, I guess I'm gonna get cut  :rollin

Claudio Sanchez is renound for having a voice like Marmite (love it or hate it). I know many people who hate Coheed and Cambria just because of his voice. I don't get it, I love his voice. Hope this isn't me  :corn :corn :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Hmm..I feel like four or five of these could apply to my album.

1. "Power metal needs to flirt with prog metal to remain fresh. This does exactly that."

Mystery

Coheed

12. "Spellbound from start to finish - I was actually happier after listening to this magical album. The Forum Fogeys know some damn good music."

Rainbow

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm predicting/hoping I've got #12.  It just seems to fit Mystery, and it doesn't fit any of the other fogey submissions.

Tim... have you ever listened to Mystery??   :rollin. Power metal they are not.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm predicting/hoping I've got #12.  It just seems to fit Mystery, and it doesn't fit any of the other fogey submissions.

Tim... have you ever listened to Mystery??   :rollin. Power metal they are not.

Appaerently not. :lol

Did they release an album last year? What band am I thinking of...? I thought the band's name was Mystery.

You wish it was 12..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
They had a live release last year.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You wish it was 12..

Oh, it's 12... just ask your ole lady. :heybaby:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
12 seconds maybe..

It could easily be Rainbow.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
12 seconds maybe..

Still double what she normally gets.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You wish it was 12..

Oh, it's 12... just ask your ole lady. :heybaby:

I tried and failed to suppress a laugh in the gym at this because of the emoji  :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
12 seconds maybe..

:facepalm:

What's next, you gonna try and give me a wedgie? A noogie?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
12 seconds maybe..

:facepalm:

What's next, you gonna try and give me a wedgie? A noogie?

Purple nurple!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
1. no
2. maybe
3. dunno, hope not :lol
4. this is one of the riverside albums
5. dunno
6. probably the other riverside album
7. coheed, rip
8. no
9. also no
10. maybe?
11. definitely not  :lol
12. and i'm not a fogey
13. maybe
14. maybe

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I really don't like Coheed's singer, his highs sound like a dying cat :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't say I've ever liked anything by C&C... except when it's Crown & Coke.

And Riverside does not float my boat at all - and I've given them about as many chances as I've given Haken.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2018, 09:17:37 PM »
I'm on the second listen now, so I'll share some brief excerpts of the writeups (which will be much longer and less cryptic when finished). But the first impressions were mostly good. I do want to stress that there isn't one bad album in the lot - I don't dislike any of them, but figuring out which will get past is going to be agonizing. And yes, these are mixed up and don't match the submission list :)

Ascendia (maybe possibly Myrath)

2. "This is wild, and more importantly, fresh to my ears. I fully expected to hate it, but ended up falling in love with it."
Snarky Puppy?  Or Coheed and Cambria

3. "It's dripping with musical talent, but I got exhausted towards the end. There's just too much going on sometimes, as if the songs rarely know where they're going."
Could also be Snarky Puppy or Coheed.  Could be ADHD... ish?  Probably could be most of the bands on this list.

4. "The heavy riff moments remind me a lot of Tool, and I like this, but I don't like Tool. I'm confused."
Soen.  Riverside may have some Tool-like moments, but I'd find it odd to say this about them when you haven Soen on your play list.

5. "I feel grimy listening to parts of this, like acid trip grimy, where you know you're clean, but still feel kind of... like you want to scrub something away that isn't there, it soaks into you."
No idea

6. "Simply solid prog metal that doesn't bash you over the head letting you know they're good at their instrument or genre. It was actually fun and interesting."
Could be Riverside, if you call them metal, or Sieges Even, if you call them metal, or Myrath or Ascendia, or... probably more

I think this could be anything.  True that Coheed vocals are known for being love or hate, but vocals are such a weird thing, for most of us I think.  Coheed would be my first guess and then Thank You Scientist, but I really think any singer could fit the bill if Firewings just doesn't like him.

8. "It's pretty good at one kind of prog metal style, but it never seems to stray far away from that."
Ascendia would be my vote for this if they weren't also my vote for #1.  (But I think again, most could fit here as well).

9. "I played this so loudly I was afraid the neighbors would call the cops or come banging on my door, and it still wasn't as loud as I wanted. This kicks serious ass."
No idea

10. "There's a cool, upbeat atmosphere throughout this album and I enjoyed that because it's a break from the typically gloomy atmosphere that a lot of prog seems to have."
Myrath  maybe?  Sieges Even could fit this, or someone could consider it totally the opposite. 

11. "It was a real treat to experience this mostly relaxing work of art. I love every single thing about this."
IQ maybe.  But I've heard Riverside, Fair to Midland, and Sieges Even referred to as relaxing sometimes 

I don't know who the fogeys are.  Rainbow will be my default guess.

13. "I was really hoping to get something completely different when I started the roulette, and this fits the bill. Brilliant pick out of left field."
Snarky Puppy seems the most left field to me.  I'm not familiar with Mystery, but I don't think they would fit that description; a random snippet that I listened to remind me a lot of Rush.

14. "Little if any filler. Always end your album with a strong song - I wanted to replay this as soon as it ended."
Could be anything

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh yeah totally forgot about Soen, that's #4 for sure

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Remember, I have weird opinions... sometimes.  :hat

Offline Lethean

:corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Remember, I have weird opinions... sometimes.  :hat

Oh I'm fully aware of your weird opinions. :)

• DTF.org Member
I'm getting cut for sure :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :metardica: :vomitard:  :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have the best opinions as demonstrated in the Kamelot, Rush, and Angra threads. And eventually this one!  :biggrin:

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
No. 12 is surely Mystery, it fits it very well. I'm hoping mine is No. 9

We'll see..... :corn

Offline Lethean

I have the best opinions as demonstrated in the Kamelot, Rush, and Angra threads. And eventually this one!  :biggrin:

You at least like Angra, so that's really all that matters there.  :)