Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 104687 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL RESULTS!!!
« Reply #1715 on: May 06, 2018, 06:26:25 PM »
Thanks jingle.boi  :biggrin:

@Parama, I have a feeling I will get thrashed in your roulette, which is part of the reason I want to play. I feel like it's only fair. Show no mercy  :metal

@Puppies: although that particular album isn't my favorite, it's far from bad, it's actually quite a good album. In fact other than the couple of missteps you had early in the roulette, you did great and sent several fucking outstanding albums :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1716 on: May 06, 2018, 06:26:39 PM »
Oh, and Luppi is f'n awesome.  Love his voice.

As for whether Live in Mexico is overdubbed, I'd be surprised if it was.  I saw these guys last year at RoSFest, and damn they were amazing.  Bought their discography off of them at the meet 'n' greet right after their set.

Stream of Consciousness is good, but Destination Set To Nowhere is where it's at.  :2metal:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1717 on: May 06, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »
Anything with Fabio is where it's at, my dude.  :tup
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1718 on: May 06, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »

Stream of Consciousness is good, but Destination Set To Nowhere is where it's at.  :2metal:

Both are amazing. SoC is easily the best thing they did with Luppi.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1719 on: May 06, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
it'll be hard to get thrashed in my roulette bcuz if i hate something i'm cutting it after first listen, if i even make it through the first listen

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: May 06, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »
it'll be hard to get thrashed in my roulette bcuz if i hate something i'm cutting it after first listen, if i even make it through the first listen

Then I know what to send for round 1  :corn

Offline Lethean

Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL SNIPS
« Reply #1721 on: May 06, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »

3. Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness

2004; power metal
sent by Lethean

I had a much longer write-up, so let's try this again. Sending straight power metal was such a risky choice... I ignored this band when I was a kid in favor of other more immediately appealing choices. I'm super jaded on this genre. So when I first listened to this album, I didn't like it at all. Thought it was rote, derivative, boring... but then I came back to it again, and again, and again. Sitting here listening through my good headphones, listening to it again.. this is a gem that I ignored for a very long time. The more I hear this, the more I like it, and Michele Luppi, too. Songs like "Colours Of My World," "La Vita Fugge" (that final note, my god, that's how you end a power metal anthem! HELL yes!), "Shades," "Out Of The Maze"... that super speedy, double bass, ultra catchy power metal, that is what I like in my power metal. I think when they slow it down (even if it's midtempo, it's relatively slow) it's not as interesting, which is consistent with my power metal tastes - speedier and louder is usually better - but when they're good, they're really fucking good. I'm super impressed at how much this grew on me, listening with a good pair of headphones and speakers really brings out the power in the songs. I almost don't want to give it such a high score, and yet... This is EPIC. Luppi ain't no Fabio, but he's DAMN good on this album, and when the band channels their inner Stratovarius ("Shades," "La Vita Fugge" etc.) I can't help but want to sing along and bang my head. This is some really good stuff. This is so much better than what power metal has turned into over the last decade. :) 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: La Vita Fugge; Shades; Out Of The Maze

Just want to say that this album is AMAZING!!!!

Yes indeed.  :)  I have to say that I'm surprised it scored so high, but I'm glad it got the listens it deserves.  :metal

Both are amazing. SoC is easily the best thing they did with Luppi.

I need to revisit that one.  I thought both it and 9 Degrees were a little lackluster.  But it could be (and I didn't dare tell Firewings this earlier lest he hold it against SoC) that it was because I thought Fabio paled in comparison to Luppi, and I therefore didn't give the songs the time they deserved.  Now FW - keep in mind that this all happened before Fabio was in Angra and I gained a better appreciation for him.  So at some point I will revisit those 2 albums.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1722 on: May 06, 2018, 08:23:45 PM »
Fuck I should have went with "Music From.... The Elder".

Seriously, though KTLX, nice roulette; well-run and a shit ton of fun (not even counting the final standings). 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: May 06, 2018, 08:26:49 PM »
Lethean, you should just listen to Rhapsody until you're as gaga for Fabio as I am  :hefdaddy If anybody steals them (if they're not banned) in your roulette I'm gonna kick names and take ass.

Stadler, thanks man. Funny thing: when doing the write-ups and hangman, I constantly kept making the mistake thinking you sent Alan Parsons Project. That seems like something you'd totally be into.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1724 on: May 06, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
Fuck I should have went with "Music From.... The Elder".

Seriously, though KTLX, nice roulette; well-run and a shit ton of fun (not even counting the final standings).

I was pulling for you Stadler.  At least you can take consolation from knowing that you did better than the rest of us.  :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL SNIPS
« Reply #1725 on: May 06, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
I need to revisit that one.  I thought both it and 9 Degrees were a little lackluster. 

IMO, 9 Degrees is a turd.

Been a while since I spun any VD... might fire off a couple tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL RESULTS!!!
« Reply #1726 on: May 07, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
I was really surprised I managed to do as well as I did, to be honest. Didn't expected to win, so no disappointments in the final results whatsoever.

However, I will confess I don't understand your tastes in metal at all. I don't even mean Beyond the Bridge (which is somehow my lowest score in this roulette), because you wouldn't be the first roulette host who docked me a few points for Beyond the Bridge which, in the end, cost me the win (hello, 425, I still remember that half a point, even if you're probably not visiting DTF anymore :lol). What's funny, the album really grew on him later on. Give it another chance someday, perhaps it'll click.

But some of the scores for metal albums seemed really random for me, even despite your explanations. :lol Redemption and Shadow Gallery was one example. Your power metal tastes somehow don't align with mine, even though we like the same bands, album-wise it's all over the place. I would've never rated this Vision Divine album that high—I kinda like Destination Set to Nowhere (TAC introduced me to this album in my last roulette, I think)—but I just listened to Stream of Consciousness at work and, to be honest, I wanted to skip some tracks.

But hey, it was fun! I really can't complain about the person who liked both Gilmour and Knopfler—I try to send them almost everywhere—and glad you liked some other albums too. If I ever play in another roulette of yours, I'm probably going full metal route just to see where it takes me.

Also, I know I'm in minority on this, but I can't get into Milliontown at all, and I tried a few times.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: May 07, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
However, I will confess I don't understand your tastes in metal at all.

But some of the scores for metal albums seemed really random for me, even despite your explanations. :lol Redemption and Shadow Gallery was one example. Your power metal tastes somehow don't align with mine, even though we like the same bands, album-wise it's all over the place. I would've never rated this Vision Divine album that high—I kinda like Destination Set to Nowhere (TAC introduced me to this album in my last roulette, I think)—but I just listened to Stream of Consciousness at work and, to be honest, I wanted to skip some tracks.

I'm with ya there bro.  SoC was better than I remember it to be, but far from a 9.5-level album

But hey, it was fun! I really can't complain about the person who liked both Gilmour and Knopfler—I try to send them almost everywhere—and glad you liked some other albums too. If I ever play in another roulette of yours, I'm probably going full metal route just to see where it takes me.

Allow me tell you.... the land of even more confusion.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1728 on: May 07, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Like I said, I hated the Vision Divine at first. Like, seriously didn't like it at all and really couldn't stand it. Very funny how that's grown on me.

My metal tastes are a bit peculiar especially throughout this roulette because I know exactly what I like, and I'm quite bored with certain styles of metal, so if something rubs me the wrong way it's going to rub badly, but if something hits the sweet spot, it's going to go over very well with me. But even then, my tastes in metal have been a bit... weird. I don't always like the really popular stuff most power/prog fans seem to like, but I do tend to like the stuff most people seem to really dislike (Kamelot is a perfect example).

I didn't like BTB much because something I really dislike in a lot of modern metal is the tendency to just go overboard and try to cram too much into the album. That's the main complaint I have with Ostura. Everyone and their mother loves that album... very very boring to me.

So that's why I was hoping to get - and thankfully did - a lot of non-metal this roulette.  :biggrin: I fucking loved a lot of the albums you sent, Evermind. If you play in the next one I hope to do in the future... good luck. I'm putting a hard ban on certain styles of metal and other music.  :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
Oh, funny story. I once dated a girl who had the exact same taste in power metal as me, in fact we met at an Edguy show up in Chicago. Guess what? Most of our favorite bands were the same, but we didn't agree on a single thing as far as favorite albums or songs. Her least favorites tended to be my favorites, and vice versa.  I had SO many (fun) arguments with her about Nightwish and Sonata Arctica. :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1730 on: May 07, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
However, I will confess I don't understand your tastes in metal at all.

I'm with ya there bro.  SoC was better than I remember it to be, but far from a 9.5-level album

I'm not even sure if I would have given it that high of a rating.  Maybe - if I like something I tend to think of it very highly and if forced to put a number to it, probably would give it a high mark.  On the other hand, there are a lot of albums I like better, so depending on the situation I'd want to leave room.

Side note - while I try to steer myself away from stereotypes, sometimes I'm guilty.  I was at Rosfest on Saturday struggling to stay awake for the first two bands. When the third was announced as being from Italy I immediately became hopeful and thought to myself, "maybe I'll at least like the singer." :) And I did.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1731 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
I'm not sure how the Vision Divine will be rated definitively until I secure a physical copy to add to my collection, but within the context of the roulette, at least, I was greatly impressed with it after it grew on me so quickly. I would certainly not put it close to my favorite power metal albums at all, of course.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »
I have a funny history with Italian prog and power metal, it almost never does well with me. Some of the roulette folks learned that a hard way. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1733 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:58 AM »
I have a funny history with Italian prog and power metal, it almost never does well with me. Some of the roulette folks learned that a hard way. :lol

That's the opposite of me.  None of my very favorite bands are from Italy, but there are a number of Italian bands that I really like a lot.

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1734 on: May 07, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »
I knew you'd like The Eye in the Sky :tup I had fun in this roulette, count me in for your v2. If only I sent something else instead of Thy Catafalque...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:51 PM »
I was at Rosfest on Saturday

Dude!  You missed the chance to meetup with Nick and/or Kingshmegland!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1736 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Wooo it's really nice you're liking all the chill stuff so much!  :D

Thanks for hosting this, and putting the time to listen to full albums in!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1737 on: May 07, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
I was at Rosfest on Saturday

Dude!  You missed the chance to meetup with Nick and/or Kingshmegland!

Maybe next time - or at least next time Rosfest has a band I want to see desperately enough to get me there.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1738 on: May 07, 2018, 12:51:12 PM »
I knew you'd like The Eye in the Sky :tup I had fun in this roulette, count me in for your v2. If only I sent something else instead of Thy Catafalque...
Or if you'd sent a different album, I think Katt would like Sgurr or the new one  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: May 07, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
Italian power metal ranges from horrible to amazing for me, unfortunately most tend to be very bad (imo). Domine and Ancient Bards come to mind... truly bad stuff to my ears.

I'm kinda glad you sent it last, because now I can enjoy it freely without having to worry about listening to other albums right away  :biggrin:

Wooo it's really nice you're liking all the chill stuff so much!  :D

Thanks for hosting this, and putting the time to listen to full albums in!

Thanks for sending so much awesome relaxed stuff! That Bonobo album has been great even when working out and Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds etc. have entered regular rotation at night. I like your taste!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1740 on: May 07, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
Mediocre final position, but very pleased to finally win a round! Glad you loved Milliontown so much, I thought you would - and yeah the synth work is just sublime. Jem Godfrey is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for having me, glad I was able to introduce you to some cool music. :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1741 on: May 08, 2018, 12:28:24 AM »
Italian power metal ranges from horrible to amazing for me, unfortunately most tend to be very bad (imo). Domine and Ancient Bards come to mind... truly bad stuff to my ears.

I guess I only have the good stuff. :)