Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 104666 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. Round 5 Hangtime
« Reply #1330 on: April 20, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
I'm also certain there's a song called Six Roaming Owls.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1331 on: April 20, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
i dont get it :millahhhh

Rhapsody changed their name to Rhapsody of Fire in 2006, and that's the first I've ever seen a band write a song with another band's name as the title :P
I am 100% certain that's not true.

I mean, a power metal band. Freedom Call's Stairway to Fairyland doesn't count. I can't think of another.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1332 on: April 20, 2018, 07:35:18 PM »
So by now hopefully you all know I love albums that get emotional responses out of me, and the ones that don't tend to get scored lower if they don't at least rock hard. There have been a few albums this roulette that have got me choked up or misty eyed, but man, there's a 10/10 this round that gave me goosebumps and made the waterworks flow, each time I listened to it. That's amazing. I just had to get that out there before the write-ups, because wow.  :hefdaddy
I'm confident this is my album  :metal :\
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1333 on: April 21, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »
Where are my results?  :corn :corn :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: April 21, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
I just woke up and am making coffee, so results in a few hours!! :soon:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: April 21, 2018, 08:07:03 AM »
Depending on what I get, I may send a metal album next. We'll see.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: April 21, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Depending on what I get, I may send a metalcore album next. We'll see.
FTFM

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1337 on: April 21, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »
jane doe sucks, sacul, i'm sorry to be the one who has to tell you this

anyways regardless of my results i'm sending prog rock

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:39 AM »
That's exactly why I'd send it :metardica:

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1339 on: April 21, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
Parma you juts dont understand the intelligance of the songwriting and compositions of jane though. I pity you for your inferior music listening skills
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1340 on: April 21, 2018, 10:11:23 AM »
i don't like angry music

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: April 21, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
end my suffering

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1342 on: April 21, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. Round 5 RESULTS!!!
« Reply #1343 on: April 21, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
We're approaching the end. A couple thoughts: since there are no themes this roulette, it's been a crapshoot for some people each round, but every single round there have been at least a couple entries that have blown my mind. And there have been albums every single round that I haven't been crazy about, or have straight-up disliked. So, we're getting to the point where the top players are obvious, but those at the bottom have still been sending me some great stuff. That's why I didn't have eliminations, because personally points don't matter to me, it's just a fun way to observe who's been consistently sending stuff I like. So please don't dwell on the overall standing too much. You've all sent amazing stuff.

1. Tom Waits - Closing Time

1973; folk/blues
sent by Tomislav95

You've shown me some good music this roulette, with one exception. You really blew my mind with The Antlers and (so far) my favorite Riverside album, and gave me a great Mew album, as well as showing me Dredg. But this? This is your finest submission yet, Tomi. I've gone misty-eyed and actually shed a tear every time I've listened to this album. I didn't know what to expect going into this, but it all sounds like a boozier, sadder Randy Newman and Cat Stevens. His voice just drips with emotion and honesty. The piano has this delightful bell-like quality that reminds me of an old upright piano I practiced on for hours on end in college and I love everything about it. Every song sinks its teeth into my brain and heart. I won't go into every song or this would be the length of a novel, but "Martha." This song makes me cry, it is a perfect song lyrically, musically, even the sound of the piano could not be better. The sadness, the longing... I've stopped playing entire albums this round just to come back and play this song over and over again. The whole album hits me in the heart something fierce but that song just makes me weak. The combination of his voice and the melodies he chooses is so unique, I don't know if anybody else could make it sound so heartbreaking if they tried. And let's not forget the gorgeous "Midnight Lullaby" with that dreamy ending, "Rosie," how sad "Ol' 55" is, hell even the upbeat "Ice Cream Man" gets my toes tapping as a nice reprieve from my emotions, and "Grapefruit Moon" and "Closing Time" are perfectly placed to close the album. Heavy metal fans, eat your heart out. This is *real* heaviness, and it doesn't need a single distorted guitar to do it. This is the album I was hoping to receive from the very beginning of the roulette - when I was describing my love for Randy Newman, one of my favorite songwriters, I wanted to hear this. Of course it has flaws, but its flaws make it perfect. I love his seemingly untrained, normal voice, I can picture him sitting in dim light with a cigarette with his heart just bleeding all over the place. (Plus, he likes stouts, apparently. My kind of dude.) 10/10

Favorite tracks: All of them - but specifically Ol' 55; Midnight Lullaby; Martha

2. Yes - Going For The One

1977; progressive rock
sent by Stadler

How dare you. Yes, along with Genesis, are two classic bands I have tried time and time again to enjoy, and last year I wrote them off for good after going attempting to go through a big list of their songs (and failing). Then you come along and make me listen to a whole Yes album. So why do I enjoy this so much? Jon Anderson has a quality to his voice that just rubs me the wrong way, and Yes's radio hits actively annoy the hell out of me. But this is the only time I've ever listened to an entire Yes album. The title track really doesn't do much for me, it's a bit jaunty and exactly what I expected out of Yes. But wait, there's more - "Turn of the Century" turns the record on its head and piques my curiosity by ditching the rock sound in favor of some fun synth playing and lovely guitars. It's a total 180 from the title track, in the best possible way. "Parallels" does, as you said, suffer from what surrounds it - it is a good song with some huge, tasty organ playing, but it's a slow build to the end, where it really culminates in this wall of prog rock, big organs and vocal layers and a tasty guitar solo to cap it off. But the last two tracks - "Side B" for your generation ;) - are where it's at, and where my opinions on this band shifted on the first listen. "Wonderous Stories" is to this record what "Funny How Love Is" from Queen II. Absolutely fucking beautiful, unlike anything else on the record, rich keyboards, and melodies that radiate joy and positivity. "Awaken" sounds exactly like what I expected Yes to be, but in a good way. Steve Howe is good, but Rick Wakeman is a fucking genius, and when Jon Anderson comes in after the 10 minute mark, it's game over. I have issues with his voice, but it's that part right there that made me go back and replay this album, because I knew it was on to something. "Awaken" is monstrous, with a super epic finish, I can't get enough of the way the vocals are timed in that end part, and... I just keep coming back for more. And I think over time I'll get more used to Jon Anderson, but you've managed to do the impossible and rekindle my interest in Yes, big time. I really wish you could've seen my 180º turn on this in real time. I fully expected to hate everything about this, but now I want to go down to the record store and snatch up this record - and more. One of your best submissions, and I'll no doubt still be discovering things in this album well into the future. How dare you. 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Turn of the Century; Wonderous Stories; Awaken

3. Nils Frahm - Felt

2011; electronic/classical/experimental
sent by home

No vocals, only tasty instrumentals. I like that. I've said before how much I hate lyrics that just seem to be there to give the singer something to do, and this avoids the problem entirely. It's damn pleasant, and says so much with so little. You haven't sent me anything I've straight up disliked, but your prog rock submissions pale compared to this (along with Ólafur Arnalds and Sleep Party People). One of my favorite things in music is hearing the human elements, such as the sliding on guitar strings (Opeth does that very well), but the only thing I like more is when I can hear a pianist move the pedals - or am I actually hearing the hammers on the felt-covered strings? "Less" keeps me coming back for more, because in between those lush piano notes, there's the ambience of the noise the mic is picking up and the pedals being played. I love the addition of, I believe, xylophones. Melodic percussion instruments pair so well with piano and I like how they're used here. But then there are the more experimental moments like the second half of "Unter" which are haunting and mysterious. I can't say enough good things about the last track, "More" because it plays off of "Less" and literally adds more without straying from the mood of the album. This album flies by for me, and I want to replay it each time. So far, home, you've sent me a few albums that have taken over my nighttime music sessions, and I love that. This is almost a 10/10, but I've found that this kind of music is primarily nighttime music, and for reasons I can't explain, it loses the impact when I've tried to listen during the day. A small but noteworthy observation, not necessarily the fault of the album, but perhaps a consequence of being such a minimal work. Regardless, this is amazing. 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Less; Old Thought; More

4. Type O Negative - October Rust

1996; gothic/doom metal
sent by Puppies_On_Acid

I'll be honest: on my first listen, I hated this album. Hated it. It was sludgy, filthy, the singer sometimes went so deep with his voice it made me uncomfortable... I was really put off. I kept coming back, and every day I latched onto a few more things, and by the end of the week I was loving this album without even trying. The 90s vibe of the keyboard effects and piano speaks to me on a personal level, and Peter Steele's voice grew on me super fast after getting used to its creepy vampiric sound (but when he goes up, he sounds totally different, in a good way). I don't have anything like this in my collection. I love the vibe these songs put out, a very melancholy, gray atmosphere, but with this sense of longing, like in "Love You To Death" or "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)", the latter of which is absolutely the highlight of this album: a soaring, brilliant keyboard melody that I can't get enough of. "Be My Druidess" was one of the songs I couldn't stand at first, but by now I'm really digging it. It's a filthy, nasty song... but it's also very pretty in a way. I wish I had found this years ago, because it seems like very cathartic music for going through a dark period. "Haunted" is 10 minutes but never overstays its welcome, and seems to represent very well what the band is about. There are some songs I could do without, particularly in the second half, but dude, I am really impressed with this album and how quickly I changed my views on it. It was tough at first, but "Red Water" and "Be My Druidess" are two of my favorite songs of the round. This album is a nice blend of several moods and styles of music I dig, it's unique, and I love it. This is the coolest thing you've sent since Sieges Even. 9.0/10

Favorite tracks: Be My Druidess; Red Water (Christmas Mourning); My Girlfriend's Girlfriend

5. Markéta Irglová - Muna

2014; alt pop/gospel/spiritual
sent by Sacul

Sacul, you've sent me some incredible albums this roulette, and this is no exception. I dig your taste in music. I'm not a religious person, but I greatly enjoy songs about seeking answers or comfort in something, anything, especially when the emotion is this palpable. I went back and forth on how to score this. I think your last two submissions nailed the mark perfectly - particularly with Radiohead - but here there are a couple songs I'm not as keen on, so logically it just ranks a bit lower. However, when the songs are good, they are amazing. "Without A Map" gives me chills, "Remember Who You Are" has a great message with rich, lush vocals. "Fortune Teller" brings some necessary uptempo music but it's not loud, and I enjoy the rhythm section because of that, just like in "Time Immemorial" - beautiful, somber vocal melodies. It's unintrusive but changes the whole song. Markéta has a beautiful voice - is she playing the piano too? I've gone through this album five times and it gets better each time, so she's officially on my radar. Some of my favorite lyrics of the round are here on this album, because they're not trying to be 'cool' or force rhymes - their strength comes from how honest and sincere they are. This is also my favorite cover art (I love Six Roaming Owls birds, and the colors). I'm a staunch atheist but damn if this didn't take me to church. 8.5/10

Favorite tracks: Time Immemorial; Without A Map; Remember Who You Are

6. Árstíðir - Árstíðir

2009; indie
sent by Evermind

This is enjoyable from start to finish, but there's never a particular moment that stands out to me. Wonderful singing and playing. Good campfire music, probably - the vocal harmonies are lush and the guitars don't hog the spotlight but play enough charming patterns to keep my interest. This is a good example of how the language barrier doesn't impact my enjoyment of the music, in fact, the Icelandic songs are some of the best here - the sound of the rolled Rs and Icelandic language pairs so well with the violin and crooning guitars in "Heiðin" for example. Like I said, there aren't really any big moments that stand out, but listening to it, it's such a pleasant experience, and would make for good music to play by a campfire, it's calm and relaxing. A lot of the songs sound similar, but it doesn't negatively affect the album - like I said, calm and relaxing is a good thing. Excellent use of violin and piano across the board. Maybe I'm biased, too, but splitting the languages between Icelandic and English here makes digesting the album so much easier. I first took in the English tracks, then went for the Icelandic ones, and listening to the album from start to finish got a lot easier (I tend to do this with lots of albums like this). I've managed to appreciate this a lot more when I have it on as background music for cleaning or doing other tasks. I can turn up the volume and pick out the nuances. You've sent so much good music so far, Evermind - you've only had one misstep but have more than made up for it with excellent prog and gentle tunes like these - although I'd like to see if you have any other intelligent prog up your sleeve like Karmakanic and IQ. 8.0/10

Favorite tracks: Ages; Vonarneisti; Næturylur

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 21, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
7. Anthriel - The Pathway

2010; progressive metal
sent by jingle.boy

I want you to know I struggled heavily with how to score this. I feel like I've heard this album a hundred times before, it doesn't do a single thing that surprised me... but it is solid. It's just another solid prog metal album, actually very progressive power metal, but it all feels so rote. By the time I get to the last track, a 14 minute epic, I'm just exhausted, and kind of bored. There are some awesome songs here that will enter my rotation - "Devil's Lullaby," "Dark Divided Minds," "Controversial Euphoria," and "Promised Land" - but most of the others have failed to stay in my memory even after five listens. On one hand it's really good, and any fan of progressive/power metal will find stuff to love here. But on the other, I am just bored with this, and it takes a monumental effort (or sheer luck) to get me actually excited about this, and it often sounds like they eschew emotional weight in their lyrics for lines that sound cool and immediately satisfying but don't have much to them other than that. This is not a bad album. This is actually a very good progressive metal album with many elements I enjoy (fun rhythm guitar, great production, awesome piano and synth lead effects), but your past submissions have done something different - symphonic interludes, interesting instruments, a band that sounds like a doped up Rush, etc... I think this pushes the prog metal a little too much, and after a while I find myself bored with this, even when working out. So, it's not a bad album, and I do enjoy several songs here, but as a whole? I could take it or leave it. 7.5/10

Favorite tracks: Devil's Lullaby; Dark Divided Minds; Promised Land

8. The River Empires - Epilogue

2010; cinematic bluegrass
sent by ariich

It's hard to find much info on this artist online. There isn't even a Wikipedia page. Anyway, about the music: this is pretty laid back stuff, but unfortunately there's nothing that really sinks its claws into me and holds my attention. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad album, but outside of a few choice tracks, there's not much going on here. I like softer stuff like this, but was bored by the end. It somehow feels like there's both too much and too little here, like the good ideas are spread thin. The playing is great, and I dig the various styles and lovely performances apart from the vocals, which are just kind of 'there.' I know this is supposed to be kind of a cinematic accompaniment to stories the author has written, so maybe I'm just not approaching it correctly, but each time I listen I'm drawn mainly to a couple tracks, and the rest I forget about. This was an interesting album but I'm afraid there's not much that makes me want to come back. In part because most of the quieter moments sound very similar to one another. It's not bad, and there are lots of moments that interest me momentarily (basically any time the tempo picks up or horns and bells etc. come into play) but it doesn't hold my attention either. Your submissions so far have been varied and interesting, but I think this is the only one I haven't been able to actually dig. I'm curious to see what you have for the last rounds. I feel like you have a real winner in store... 7.0/10

Favorite tracks: Three Tigers; Lull of Celeste; A Dimmer Lux

9. Need - Hegaiamas

2017; progressive metal
sent by Lethean

By now, I feel like I have a very good idea of the kinds of metal you enjoy, Lethean. There are musical similarities across your submissions that I've taken notice of - vocals, melodic structures, riffs and guitar playing, the general vibe. This album represents a lot of that... unfortunately, it's all part of the realm of prog metal I don't enjoy that much. This is not a 'bad' album, and I think plenty of Googling shows that a lot of fans of prog metal will have no problem enjoying this, but for me? It all sounds rote. Not unlike how Anthriel sounds like a hundred other prog metal bands of that style, this album sounds like a hundred other prog metal bands of this style. The guitar riffs are just playing busywork to fill up sonic space and have no emotion to them, which is a huge turn-off, and the lyrics are once again more whinging about life and being lost or confused ("I hate everything you stand for / They keep calling, in my skin they're crawling") and I just don't find myself interested in that stuff. The singer is strong, yet I feel anybody could step in and do what he's doing. "Tilikum" has some beautiful piano, but I don't like the lyrics. It's funny that my favorite track on this album is actually "I.O.T.A." - all dialogue between this woman and a psychiatrist/grandfather-type figure, with serene classical piano underneath. I enjoy the dialogue about surreal dreams and watching the universe like it's playing out before her eyes, whatever it's about. This is the kind of artsy prog stuff I dig, not the nebulous lyrics about confusion and angst. The title track is a bit of a slog to get through - did they really just make up a whole word for this album? It's so pretentious, and a big turn-off. The title track needs to be at least ten minutes shorter, because it's just the same as every other song here but three times as long. There are good moments here, but the album seriously needs to be at least 20 minutes shorter than it actually is. It's a very good culmination of prog metal tropes, but in the end that's what it is: stale tropes thrown into a pot that's a bit too big for its own good. I'm waiting for you to send me something as off the walls and bizarre as you did with Leprous's Coal, because that remains far and away the coolest thing you've sent so far. 6.5/10

Favorite tracks: Rememory; Riverthane; I.O.T.A

10. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Pt. I

2000; progressive metal
sent by Parama

I was so eager to listen to this... but honestly - much like Hegaiamas - I find this pretentious and boring. Daniel Gildenlow has such a good voice, but even the best voice can't save underwhelming music. And that's a shame. I've heard Daniel sing for other artists and was always eager to listen to Pain of Salvation... maybe this was just a bad album to go with? But I don't know. There are some really cool songs here, particularly the second half of "Her Voices," but a lot of them sound the same and stay in that midtempo range which gets old very fast for a metal band.  Some of the songs overstay their welcome, like "Idioglossia." I don't find myself invested in any of the lyrics either. Most of the time, this album sounds like it's trying to be way more important or grandiose than it actually is or needs to be. Gildenlow sometimes makes me laugh (not a good thing) like in "Used," "Idioglossia," and "Reconciliation" - sometimes he's just too dramatic and needs to reel it in, a lot. I've struggled to come away with much to say beyond this. I would like to know if they have speedier albums, or albums with a more interesting vibe, because this one just doesn't do anything for me. It's all fairly one note. You've sent some pretty cool stuff this roulette, Parama, but as you get darker with the submissions, I fear that they're not clicking with me. Thank You Scientist remains my favorite of your submissions, because it's so different and, in a way, happy, despite your tendency to send darker stuff. 6.0/10

Favorite tracks: Her Voices; Dedication; Song for the Innocent

Scores

1. Sacul - 54.0
2. Stadler - 53.5
3. Evermind - 53.0
4. home - 53.0
5. jingle.boy - 52.5
6. Tomislav - 51.0
7. ariich - 49.0
8. Puppies_On_Acid - 47.0
9. Parama - 45.5
10. Lethean - 45.0
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:36:32 PM by Kattoelox »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: April 21, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
Hahahaha, TPE is the worst album in this round? :lol Wow. Maybe try Remedy Lane, if you don't like this one, Pain of Salvation probably isn't for you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1346 on: April 21, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
Oh, and also, as far as I'm concerned, I had no missteps so far, because never in my right mind I would call sending Beyond the Bridge "a misstep". You just wait, this album will grow on you.

It's a shame that I still have a chance to win, I really want to send you some metal, but apparently this is not a good idea.

We've got two more rounds, right? In that case, the next "intelligent prog" album is coming your way tomorrow.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: April 21, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
Two more rounds. You're taking chances with metal, but only because that's a genre I'm overly familiar with and am VERY picky on. I'm more into anything that has a serious emotional impact. Metal can do that, but I have quite a bit that satisfies that prerequisite already, so again, I'm just super picky.  jingle has been good on the metal side, up to a point. His taste in that realm seems to be very close to mine. :)

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1348 on: April 21, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
I've actually clawed my way out of last place! Glad you liked Type O Negative, I knew it would be a risky album to send. The fact that you hated it at first does not surprise me at all. The first time I heard TON was on the Life is Killing Me album. A friend of mine gave me the CD because he didn't like it. At first I hated it, but there was something about the keyboard melodies and Peter Steele's voice that kept drawing me back in. It's now in my top 50 of all time. I would have sent that album, but it's not quite as accessible, IMO. I would give Life is Killing Me or Bloody Kisses a listen next if you are inclined to further explore their discography. Then go to World Coming Down, which is the least accessible, but another fantastic album. Just be prepared for the extremely gloomy atmosphere of it.

I've also just realized the last 2 albums I've sent the singers have both passed away. Maybe I'll keep that trend going, for morbid reasons..... :( maybe not. Actually the next album I planned on sending the singer had also passed away, but based on your review of Anthriel and Pain of Salvation I may change course.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: April 21, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
On the one hand, expected a bit more from Muna, but that' a great score, also I'm really happy you loved Felt, is a fantastic record and you should definitely listen to more Nils Frahm, in particular his mind-blowing live album Spaces (he's got a lot of energy and his tracks go into wild interpretations), and his excellent last record, All Melody, one of my favorites of this year so far. On the other, damn you home  :lol .

So no Converge for you this round, will probably just fuck up anyways  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: April 21, 2018, 12:43:40 PM »
Two more rounds. You're taking chances with metal, but only because that's a genre I'm overly familiar with and am VERY picky on. I'm more into anything that has a serious emotional impact. Metal can do that, but I have quite a bit that satisfies that prerequisite already, so again, I'm just super picky.  jingle has been good on the metal side, up to a point. His taste in that realm seems to be very close to mine. :)

Chad has introduced me to a lot of amazing metal. For example, I own both Dimension Act and Echoes albums only because he actually went ahead and sent me the link to the record label site when they had a sale. :lol

I think I'll stick to my odd/even rounds strategy though. No more metal in this roulette for you. Maybe next roulette I'll go all out on metal stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1351 on: April 21, 2018, 12:47:39 PM »
Totally fair assessment, and pretty much what I was expecting - which is why I wished you'd have tried my other choice.

Ok, abandoning my strategy, since it's clear it won't work any longer. I think I've dropped my way out of contention- 1.5 points and 4 players to pass in 2 rounds will be unlikely, but here goes nothing. I predict I'm either looking at a 9.5, or a 5. I just don't see this album being an in-betweener.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: April 21, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »
Totally fair assessment, and pretty much what I was expecting - which is why I wished you'd have tried my other choice.

Ok, abandoning my strategy, since it's clear it won't work any longer. I think I've dropped my way out of contention- 1.5 points and 4 players to pass in 2 rounds will be unlikely, but here goes nothing. I predict I'm either looking at a 9.5, or a 5. I just don't see this album being an in-betweener.

I wouldn't say so, 1.5 points is probably still manageable in two rounds.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: April 21, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
I do wish I had tried your other submission, jingle. For what it's worth, I'm still going to listen to it out of curiosity - probably tonight. I was actually wondering, after Echoes, how long your strategy would last. :)

Puppies, I'm very happy you sent me this, because TON for years has been a band that I've known about but always wrote off as not being 'my thing' - you've changed my mind and shown me some classic songs on it (Red Water, seriously - amazing stuff).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1354 on: April 21, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »
You know what dude...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: April 21, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
You know what dude...

I want to say I'm sorry, but I'm completely unapologetic and 100% honest with my thoughts, and I don't want anybody else to sugarcoat their feelings (good or bad) about my own submissions. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you and I have more in common musically than this roulette indicates. :biggrin:

EDIT: I expect a thorough ass-tearing from Lethean when I get back. And during your roulette, you can rip to shreds my fruity power metal.  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1358 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »
maybe i'll just send some crap then if one of the best albums of all time gets a 6/10  :corn

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1359 on: April 21, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Ah screw it, I'm going to send what I had planned all along, consequences be damned....  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1360 on: April 21, 2018, 01:16:52 PM »
Oh yeah, that's one hell of an album :tup I feel similar to you when it comes to it, every song is great. Little Trip To Heaven has been my favorite lately, lyrical masterpiece. BTW he completely destroyed his voice and sounds growly after third album, and also, his music is much more experimental and weird. You'll probably have hard time getting into it (if you're like me), but Rain Dogs is still awesome (and weird). His second album is similar to Closing Time but not as good IMO, it's more boozy and less romantic :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: April 21, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
maybe i'll just send some crap then if one of the best albums of all time gets a 6/10  :corn

That one song I remember - Sleeping Under The Stars - was sadly more interesting than that whole album. Maybe PoS just isn't for me, though. I'm clearly missing something! I'm glad you sent them though. They're one of those names I've seen forever but never heard, like Caligula's Horse, Karnivool, etc... :biggrin:

Oh yeah, that's one hell of an album :tup I feel similar to you when it comes to it, every song is great. Little Trip To Heaven has been my favorite lately, lyrical masterpiece. BTW he completely destroyed his voice and sounds growly after third album, and also, his music is much more experimental and weird. You'll probably have hard time getting into it (if you're like me), but Rain Dogs is still awesome (and weird). His second album is similar to Closing Time but not as good IMO, it's more boozy and less romantic :lol

I know some people have talked about how weird his voice is, and as soon as Ol' 55 started I thought... wtf? He sounds great! I'll absolutely be checking out his repertoire. Regardless, I'm looking for this as soon as I hit the record store next.  :hefdaddy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1362 on: April 21, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »
saying all the songs on the album sound the same makes me think you were listening to scarsick or something lol  :corn
i sent an album

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1363 on: April 21, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
There are reprises on TPE but that's what makes it so good...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: April 21, 2018, 01:23:12 PM »
If I have bad taste, ya'll can just tell me. I've heard it all before.  :rollin

I really hope Lethean isn't upset with me. I still enjoy discovering what people love to listen to even if it doesn't click with me.  :(