Author Topic: Rank the songs on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence  (Read 4282 times)

Offline npiazza91

Rank the songs on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:02:14 AM »
This is my favorite DT album and I want to know how you guys rank the songs on it.  I'll be splitting up Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the song) for this ranking becaus otherwise we'd just have a list of 6 songs.  So...here we go.

13. Disappear- The only song that I don't like on this album.  Not that it's bad, but I never got anything out of it.  It just sounds like ambience to me with depresing vocals.  I appreciate it for its emotion, but it just doesn't have enough in it to really pull me in.

12. War Inside My Head- It's only a 2 minute song, and it ends prematurely.  If this song was a minute or two longer and had a solo or something it might be better.  But as it stands, it's only a half baked idea.  Though it is pretty cool how they reuse the riff in this soung throughout SDOIT (the song).

11. Losing Time/Grand Finale- The Losing Time segment is pretty cool, and of course the Grand Finale is cool, but other than just being "cool" and being a very satisfying ending to this huge epic, it doesn't really do a whole lot.

10. Overture- I really like the instrumental stuff in this song.  The riffs, the changing tempos, it all sounds so great.  But of course, it is just a mere taste of what's to come.  It's awesome for what it is, but compared to everything else on this album, it gets 10th place.

9. Goodnight Kiss- I really like Labrie's singing in this song.  I was thinking about putting this below Overture because to be honest, it does get kind of boring, but Labrie's vocals are just fantastic here and the solo is sounds so nice.

8. Misunderstood- Ok, now we're at the really great stuff.  This song is great...it's a slow burn and when it finally builds up to the main chorus it explodes and sounds just awesome.  My only complaint is the ending which is just...weird.  But otherwise, this is a great song.  Would it make my top 50?  Maybe.  I'd like to think yes.

7. About to Crash (Reprise)- A great bookend to what has been building up this entire epic.  While it's not as good as the first "About to Crash", it's a very satisfying reprise.  I love the riff that kicks it off, I love the vocals and just everything about it is so satisfying, especially when you listen to it all in one go.

6. Solitary Shell- I love this segment.  It's funny because it sounds so basic and commercial, which is the kind of music that I am not into at all.  But the way DT does it just sounds so great.  This song is so damn catchy, it's impossible not to sing along to it.  The solo is great too.

5. The Great Debate- The first 3 minutes is kind of boring.  But when it kicks off...holy shit does it kick off.  Those 4 minutes or so after the intro is one of my favorite parts to ANY DT song.  If this song was shortened a little bit it would be amazing.  As it stands it's still great, and it would definitely make my top 50, but there's a lot of padding in this song that doesn't need to be there I think.

4. About to Crash- I love everything aout this song.  The piano intro, the verse riff, the chorus, the vocals...everything.  If this was its own song it would probably make my top 30.

3. Blind Faith- Amazing song right here.  Everything about this song is pretty much perfect.  The vibe of the song, the drums, the guitar, the vocals, I just love this song so much.  This song might even make my top 20.  I'm not sure though.

2. The Glass Prison- Come on...this song is just amazing.  You can't hate on The Glass Prison.  This is a top 20 DT song for sure.  Maybe even top 10, I'm not sure.  Either way, this song is amazing.  Everything about it is what DT does best.

1. The Test That Stumped Them All- If this was its own song, it would probabaly be top 10 for me.  I love thrash metal, and this is the closest DT has ever gotten.  It sounds like early Metallica, but with more talent (no offense to Metallica, they're great, but they've got nothing on DT).  Yeah this song is just absolutely amazing.  The riffs, the solos, the vocals, everything.  I love this song.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: Rank the songs on Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:12:13 AM »
What's wrong with "just a list of 6 songs"? That's how many songs are on the album. By this method, then Close To The Edge and Relayer aren't worth ranking because they only have 3 songs each.

1. The Great Debate
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Glass Prison
6. Blind Faith

Now I'm curious as to where you'd rank 6DOIT the song as a complete composition among the album tracks.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate
Disappear

I love Disappear too.  Six Degrees is pretty much a perfect album to me.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
The Glass Prison
Disappear
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
The Great Debate

About the title track, the movements, I'd rank them as such:

War Inside My Head / The Test that Stumped them All (can't really split them)
Solitary Shell
Losing Time / Grand Finale
About to Crash / About to Crash Reprise (they're the same song c'mon)
Goodnight Kiss
Overture
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
Misunderstood (and the ending is awesome)
Disappear
The Great Debate
Blind Faith
The Glass Prison

But I love them all so every ranking is by slight degrees.

Title track movements:

Solitary Shell
The Test that Stumped Them All
War Inside My Head
About to Crash
Overture
About to Crash Reprise
Losing Time / Grand Finale
Goodnight Kiss
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Freeze

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Misunderstood
Disappear
Blind Faith
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
-Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence:  Probably still my favorite DT song of all time, so it isn't hard to put it at #1.  The only thing that makes it somewhat challenging is that the album has so many great songs.
-The Glass Prison:  Easily the best of the 12SS.  The instrumental passage overstays its welcome by maybe as much as a minute before the final movement, but it's still a great song.  I still think that, start to finish, it is up there among the heaviest things DT has ever done.
-Misunderstood:  This was a really close contender for the #2 spot.  Fantastic song in just about every way.  It is very dark and moody, and conveys a ton of turbulent emotion.
-The Great Debate:  The #4 and #5 spots are also VERY close.  I give the slight edge to this one just because I generally prefer heavier songs, and this one is SO good on so many levels.  I love the intro/buildup up through the chorus.
-Disappear:  One of the most beautiful and sad things they have ever written.  The music itself is so jarring that it suits the subject matter perhaps better than anything I have ever heard on the topic of losing somebody close to you.
-Blind Faith:  Despite some truly great moments, this is one of my least favorite DT songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
I always felt that Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (the song) was one of the greatest pieces of music I've ever heard but when I heard Eren Başbuğ's Orchestral arrangement and performance it really cemented that opinion for me.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Disclaimer: Not a bad song on this album. Other than the ones marked with *, the bottom song could trade places with #3 with ease on the right day.

From favorite to least favorite:

1. Solitary Shell*
2. About to Crash*
3. Losing Time
4. Goodnight Kiss (combined with Solitary Shell, however, it becomes the best thing in all of DT's career)
5. Disappear
6. About to Crash Reprise
7. The Test That Stumped Them All
8. The Glass Prison
9. War Inside My Head
10. Overture
11. Misunderstood
12. Blind Faith
13. The Great Debate
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
What's wrong with "just a list of 6 songs"? That's how many songs are on the album. By this method, then Close To The Edge and Relayer aren't worth ranking because they only have 3 songs each.

1. The Great Debate
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Glass Prison
6. Blind Faith

Now I'm curious as to where you'd rank 6DOIT the song as a complete composition among the album tracks.
SDOIT (the song) would be number 1, not even close.  I think each piece works better when it's a part of the whole.  That's another reason why I split up each section, it just makes it more interesting and it was fun for me to think about.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 12:43:12 PM »
1. Disappear - favorite song
2. The Glass Prison
3. The Great Debate - don't understand why this is as unappreciated as it is
4. Blind Faith
5. Misunderstood
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - great song in its own right, but IMO pales in comparison with the other 5
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
Two different lists:  one includes 6DOIT as a single song and one breaks it up:

1. 6DOIT
2. Blind Faith
3. Glass Prison
4. Misunderstood
5. Disappear
6. The Sound of a Crying Baby, a Sick Cat and Ethel Merman Fighting
7. The Great Debate

or

1. Blind Faith
2. About to Crash
3. About to Crash Reprise
4. Glass Prison
5. Solitary Shell
6. Overture
7. Losing Time
8. Misunderstood
9/10. The Test That Stumped Them All/War Inside My Head (there could be a lot of movement in the 4-10 range depending on the day)
11. Goodnight Kiss
12. Disappear
13. Someone Torturing Axl Rose with Nails on a Chalkboard and Styrofoam Pieces Scraping Together
14. The Great Debate
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
1. Disappear

2. Misunderstood
3. Blind Faith
4. Glass Prison

5. The Great Debate
6. 6DOIT (can't be bothered to rank the segments. Though I do enjoy The Test That Stumped Them All quite a bit).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »
1. 6DoIT
2. Misunderstood
3. TGD
4. BF
5. TGP
6. D

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Probably the toughest DT album to do this with, because it's so uniformly strong. In fact the first disc is perhaps the band's masterpiece to me. I'll do 2 lists, as others have, though I'll say that I don't consider the title track to be one song. I know that topic has been discussed to death on here, about whether it is or isn't, but to me there is no incontrovertibly correct answer. People say the band themselves have said it is one song (though technically the band hasn't, only particular members have - would it change anything if Myung came out and said he doesn't feel it's one song?) but that's irrelevant, Yoko Ono can say her a capella banshee wailing is a concerto for flute in E flat minor, it doesn't make it so. A song is whatever I feel it to be until ontologists of art give me a clear definition (they never will, because there can't be one). It's completely irrelevant to me what the artist has to say about it.

Anyway, with that out of the way:

1. Misunderstood
2. Disappear
3. Blind Faith
4. The Great Debate
5. The Glass Prison
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Title track divided into sections:

1. Misunderstood
2. Disappear
3. Blind Faith
4. The Great Debate
5. The Glass Prison
6. About To Crash
7. About To Crash (Reprise)
8. Solitary Shell
9. Goodnight Kiss
10. Losing Time
11. The Test That Stumped Them All
12. War Inside My Head
13. Overture

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 06:37:40 PM »
1: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2: Disappear
3: Blind Faith
4: Misunderstood
5: The Glass Prison
6: The Great Debate

While I’m at it, I’ll rank the sections of the title track

1: Overture
2: Goodnight Kiss
3: Losing Time/Grand Finale
4: About to Crash
5: Solitary Shell
6: War Inside My Head
7: About to Crash (Reprise)
8: The Test That Stumped Them All
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 04:44:14 AM »
I love this album so much that it's hard to rank those songs ^^

2: The Glass Prison
4: The Great Debate
5: Disappear
6: Misunderstood

sections of the title track : I just can't :D
Introduction is great, goodnight kiss and it's solo just wrecks my heart...
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
A song is whatever I feel it to be until ontologists of art give me a clear definition (they never will, because there can't be one). It's completely irrelevant to me what the artist has to say about it.

Quote from: Wikipedia
A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections.

Yes, I am a smartass.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
^^ Which again would incorporate the 37-minute long 'The Agonised Shrieking of A Felled Sycamore" for voice and vacuum cleaner by Yoko, but it still don't make that a song ;)

On topic, I've been listening to this album today due to this thread, and I'm always surprised at just how much Disappear moves me. It's pretty much a unique song for the band, the choices they made in the pacing of it and the instrumentation are pretty fascinating, and I like Labrie's voice when it's at that range. The emotion is real. I'm not keen on his voice when he goes high, but down low he has power.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 04:04:39 PM »
1. SDOIT - My top 5 song. From start to finish glorious and wonderful musicianship and powerful melodies. I really love those uplifting moments and way it sounds so fresh even though it's over 15 years old. I can't say the best song because every song is strong as it's own. But least favourite is TTTSTA.

2. Blind Faith - I would have like to put this oe as first butSDOIT is just so strong as long anddiverse as it is. I think BF is really underrated song among the fans. I really like this chorus but James unfortunately ruins it in live setting (for example in CiM dvd) with those high screams. I love the the section before instrumental section and that instrumental section is honey.

3. The Glass Prison - I LOVE the intro, I LOVE the heavy riff and I also love many movements here and there but the song is lacking a good chorus and something else. It's still in my top 15, maybe top 10.

4. Misunderstood - The song itself is strong and cool but those reverse guitar solos ruins it for me. That outro where drums and all other instruments fade out and fade back in, it's quite corny. But the chorus is wonderful!

5. Disappear - I like the mood of this song but there are three better songs above. Needs depression when I want to listen to this song :laugh:

6.The Great Debate - never got into this. I have always thought that this song sounds a bit stuffy, a bit fuggy for me. One least favourites of DT. If this song had had been great, this album could be pure gold.

EDIT: How I can forget Misunderstood...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:06:40 AM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:37 PM »
One of my favourite DT albums. The title track is one song, and I always listen to it in full.

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2. Blind Faith
3. The Glass Prison
4. Misunderstood
5. The Great Debate
6. Disappear

"Disappear" is not bad, it just got last place because the rest of the album is nothing but heavyweights.

I just listened to it. On this record it feels almost like an intermission before the title track. It's... fine.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:37 PM »
This was hard, but here we go:

2. The Great Debate
3. Blind Faith
4. The Glass Prison
5. Misunderstood
6. Disappear

SFAM might be my favorite DT album, but I think this one is their best, the whole thing is :hefdaddy and I think a big part of it is because of Jordan's excellent keyboard work. It's my favorite DT album keyboard-wise.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:55 AM »
1. Six Degrees
2. The Great Debate
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Glass Prison
6. Blind Faith

IMHO their last truly great album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 03:04:39 AM »

Having Master of Puppets as your avatar but putting The Test That Stumped Them All in last place is kind of odd to me.  Any particular reason you don't like this song as a fan of thrash metal?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:11 AM »
This was hard, but here we go:

2. The Great Debate
3. Blind Faith
4. The Glass Prison
5. Misunderstood
6. Disappear

SFAM might be my favorite DT album, but I think this one is their best, the whole thing is :hefdaddy and I think a big part of it is because of Jordan's excellent keyboard work. It's my favorite DT album keyboard-wise.
It's the other way around for me.  SDOIT is my personal favorite DT album, but I view SFAM as their best piece of music.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 07:43:18 AM »
I also think SDOIT has Jordan's best keyboard work. It has everything but never does overboard. It's the 'right' level of technicality, like the piano playing in About to Crash.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
2. The Glass Prison
3. Blind Faith
4. Misunderstood
5. The Great Debate
6. Disappear

This is probably my favorite DT record overall, truly an incredible work.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »

Having Master of Puppets as your avatar but putting The Test That Stumped Them All in last place is kind of odd to me.  Any particular reason you don't like this song as a fan of thrash metal?

Well when ranking the parts of this masterpiece, something had to be last.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate
Blind Faith
Disappear
Misunderstood

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
The Glass Prison
The Great Debate
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Disappear

My ranking of the title track's eight movements:
1. The Test That Stumped Them All
2. War Inside My Head
3. Overture
4. About To Crash
5. About To Crash (Reprise)
6. Solitary Shell
7. Goodnight Kiss
8. Losing Time/Grand Finale

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
1 Disappear
2 Blind faith
3 The glass prison
4 Misunderstood
5 Six degrees
6 The great debate
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
01. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
02. Blind Faith
03. The Glass Prison
04. Misunderstood
05. Disappear
06. The Great Debate

01. Blind Faith
02. About to Crash
03. Solitary Shell
04. The Test That Stumped Them All
05. About to Crash (Reprise)
06. Goodnight Kiss
07. The Glass Prison
08. War Inside My Head
09. Overture
10. Misunderstood
11. Disappear
12. The Great Debate
13. Losing Time/Grand Finale

The top 4 are pretty much interchangeable. Losing Time would rank higher if it weren't for that 2 minute fade out at the end.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »
The Great Debate
Disappear
Blind Faith
Six Degrees
Glass Prison
Misunderstood

About to Crash (Reprise)
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell