Poll

Iron Maiden song knockout: Flight of Icarus or Stranger in a Strange Land?

Flight of Icarus
19 (42.2%)
Stranger in a Strange Land
26 (57.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Iron Maiden song knockout: Flight of Icarus or Stranger in a Strange Land?  (Read 1283 times)

Offline WildRanger

Which Maiden song?

Offline max_security

Some songs have sections in them that are so " Iconic " . SIASL the bridge section before the solo Steve plays a bass melody that is so simple yet powerful , man anytime I see the song title that immediately pops in my head.

Flight of Icarus is a good tune , the first single released from my favorite album. I remember when I first heard this on the radio back in 1983 I was like WTF this is so badass. A week later I had all the Maiden albums and posters I could find , school book covers with Iron Maiden logos , Up The Irons ( and the Rivet Heads ). 

Anyway I voted Stranger between these two , one of Adrian's better songs for sure.

Offline NoseofNicko

SIASL by far. Flight is good, but I never understood why it was so popular. It’s just way too simple for me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I would pick Stranger, but it's close

Offline Setlist Scotty

Very easy choice for me, given that SiT is my favorite Maiden album (in particular all of Adrian's songs) and I've never been a big fan of FoI.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Stranger, but this is a weird and random comparison, no? Threadworthy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

IN THE NAME OF GOD MY FATHER I FLY

Indeed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

like the majority of random polls in GMD lately, but I've only said so about 10 times before...
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline max_security

I don't know man , regarding " threadworthy "... is any of it really ? I liked this one . A Number of the Beast vs Piece of Mind poll would be interesting .

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I like these polls because they're conversation starters

I greatly prefer Icarus, I just think it's a stronger and more concise song with better vocal melodies. Bruce kills it especially towards the end, as usual
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Stranger.

What made you put these two songs against each other?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
This is a tough one. Both represent Maiden's more commercial side but are clearly from different eras. Stranger In a Strange Land has the better Maiden solo, but I think I have to give the nod to Icarus. Hope both songs return to the set before Maiden retire!
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
For me Stranger, by a thread.

You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I've been a bit lenient with the album/band polls in general music, but stuff like this should be kept in polls/surivivors to avoid clogging up general music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I say from now on all these types of posts be relocated here. If you say it garners discussion, isn't that why we have band threads?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CharlesPL

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I say from now on all these types of posts be relocated here. If you say it garners discussion, isn't that why we have band threads?

This.  Some of these polls are large enough for discussion generation, but something like this is too specific.  Just use the band thread or put it in the polls subforum IMO.

Offline SleeperAwake

"Flight of Icarus" is a solid song, but "Stranger in a Strange Land" is better.