Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 53919 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2018, 05:40:52 PM »

Yea, so I guess you plan on travelling frequently? Especially in/out of the country?

So I had global entry.  I don't anymore, I got a misdemeanor which lead to them taking it away from me, but that's another story.  Global entry will give you everything the TSA pre-check gives you, but will also give you expedited access when returning to the USA.  It allows you to bypass the line going through passport control in customs.  You then get to use a kiosk instead of speaking to an officer.  It takes a picture of you as well.  It's makes returning to the country super quick and easy. 

So back to your future plans of traveling, if you are travelling domestically frequently, the TSA pre-check is nice.  If you travel internationally a lot, global entry is really nice. 

Also you have to do an interview with a customs agent for the global entry.  It was pretty much a joke for me, "why do you want this?" "For work" and off I go.  I've heard a few others grilled a little harder as to their intentions, but never heard of any issues with the interview process other than it's annoying to have to do.

That sounds pretty good.

Now that I have my passport, I'm probably gonna try and go international like once every two months give or take. My work schedule goes back and forth between 40-50 hour weeks to some weeks where I have only like one day, unless I hustle up some hours, so when there's a lull in schedule I'm going to see somewhere new. And I'll probably flip flop between international and domestic.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2018, 05:44:51 PM »
I'm now filling out the global entry application. It apparently covers both international and domestic TSA pre check for 5 years. Should be helpful.

From how it looks, once cleared. I can just scan my passport at the kiosk, put my fingers on the screen to confirm its me and then it prints a ticket and I then can then bypass security?

Yea, so I guess you plan on travelling frequently? Especially in/out of the country?

So I had global entry.  I don't anymore, I got a misdemeanor which lead to them taking it away from me, but that's another story.  Global entry will give you everything the TSA pre-check gives you, but will also give you expedited access when returning to the USA.  It allows you to bypass the line going through passport control in customs.  You then get to use a kiosk instead of speaking to an officer.  It takes a picture of you as well.  It's makes returning to the country super quick and easy. 

So back to your future plans of traveling, if you are travelling domestically frequently, the TSA pre-check is nice.  If you travel internationally a lot, global entry is really nice. 

Also you have to do an interview with a customs agent for the global entry.  It was pretty much a joke for me, "why do you want this?" "For work" and off I go.  I've heard a few others grilled a little harder as to their intentions, but never heard of any issues with the interview process other than it's annoying to have to do.
I don't have any of that stuff and my experiences with passport control are the same way. At DFW you use a kiosk, smile at the camera, wave your printout at an officer as you walk to customs, answer the stupid questions and leave. It took me all of five minutes last time,  and most of that was waiting for the customs agent.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
Interesting, that's not the way at EWR at all, but I also haven't left the country in 1.5 years so maybe things have changed.  Although, my experiences with customs has always been really quick regardless of my Global Entry or normal procedures.

Honestly the TSA pre-checks these days aren't that much faster than normal.  Even at EWR since it's a United hub, they have a seperate security line for United Premiere members and that's often not any better than the rest either.

Essentially so many people have some sort of status or program that it almost makes it all negligible.  But once again, I think that also depends on the airport.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »
I'm pretty excited right now!  A buddy of mine who is one of the best Underwater cameraman and producer in the industry has invited me on a unique adventure.  Next March I will have the opportunity to accompany him and a few select folks to go swim and film both Blue and Sperm Whales in Sri Lanka.  It's an amazing chance to interact with the largest animal of all time.  After that excursion I think we will probably pop over to the Maldives for some serious Liveaboard then resort Diving!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
Wow that sounds amazing

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
Looking at his videos from this last months trip really got me going.  There is only one month a year the Sri Lankan govt. allows this operation, which is the only legally licensed one, to interact with them.  I do need to start working out though...LOL.  Only snorkeling and free diving are allowed with these animals.  Which means I need to start the cardio!!!  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2018, 04:57:54 AM »
That sounds incredible. That is going to be something you'll remember for a lifetime.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:58 AM »
I travel a lot for work. Was in California, Germany, Spain and Tennessee in the last two months. Leaving for South Korea next Saturday, then down to Bangkok, Thailand and finally to Penang, Malaysia after that. Going to be a 2 week long trip. Might try to sneak away to Kuala Lampur to see the Petronas Towers really quick.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »
I travel a lot for work. Was in California, Germany, Spain and Tennessee in the last two months. Leaving for South Korea next Saturday, then down to Bangkok, Thailand and finally to Penang, Malaysia after that. Going to be a 2 week long trip. Might try to sneak away to Kuala Lampur to see the Petronas Towers really quick.

WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2018, 06:07:20 AM »
I'm a little over half way through our 2.5 week roadtrip. We're in Utah at Arches National Park at the moment heading up to Yellowstone later today. It has been nothing short of amazing. To the point that I am really depressed at the thought of going back to work a week from today. My wife and I have both talked about selling everything, buying a big camper and traveling over North America for a couple years. The kids are homeschooled so that wouldn't be an issue. The problem is money. I'd need to work and I'm not in a career that works well for digital nomad type jobs where you can be literally anywhere in the world. I've already decided to ask my boss if it would be possible for me to work from the road 2-3 days a week for a few weeks at a time a couple times a year so that we could do more of these road trips while still having a full time career and a regular home. I know it's a complete fantasy to think we could travel full time, but I honestly feel like it's "what I want to do with my life." Maybe getting back to the real world won't be so bad, but right now I'm dreading it.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:54 AM »
Yeah... the traveling bug, people usually have it hardcore, or not at all.  I have yet to see the 2 parks you mention, but would love to.  Especially from a photography standpoint.

As far as my exciting trip for next year to dive with the Whales...the balloon has burst.  To make the overall package work my wife would have to fly solo for 30 hours to the Maldives.  She has decided she's not comfortable with that.  I have to of course respect her decision.  It was a helluva plan though!  :-[

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »
Yeah... the traveling bug, people usually have it hardcore, or not at all.  I have yet to see the 2 parks you mention, but would love to.  Especially from a photography standpoint.

As far as my exciting trip for next year to dive with the Whales...the balloon has burst.  To make the overall package work my wife would have to fly solo for 30 hours to the Maldives.  She has decided she's not comfortable with that.  I have to of course respect her decision.  It was a helluva plan though!  :-[
Sorry to hear it didn't pan out. It sounded absolutely miserable to me, but you certainly would have loved it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »

Sorry to hear it didn't pan out. It sounded absolutely miserable to me, but you certainly would have loved it.
  :lol  I don't love the travel part, believe me!  I was just actually talking to my buddy, and MIGHT do a Humpback trip later in the year.  That one my wife could come with and find stuff to do topside while I'm in the water.  So...still a chance for some whale interaction!!  Colder water though...which I'm NOT a fan of...LOL

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
Didn't travel anywhere too far, but today me and my friend rode down to Delaware to this cool ass little food place called Crabby Dick's right on the Delaware river. They do all you can eat crabs and stuff like that. I got the surf and turf burger which was fresh crab meat on top of an angus burger. Its was excellent.

Overall, it was an awesome day. This was my first time riding on the highway and that was very cool and not as scary as I thought it would be.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »

Devastating

Had a busy weekend in Denver.  I can't recall the last time I had a full weekend off on a work trip, which meant I had plenty of time to do things... so went to Pikes Peak Saturday and the Red Rocks on Sunday.  Absolutely amazing weekend.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »
Surprise, just found out a work trip was set for me.  My coworker in Amsterdam is taking a 2 week vacation at the end of August and I've been asked to go there to cover for him.  I just booked it.  Pretty excited because I've never gone to Europe solo and I feel comfortable going to Ams since I've been there 5 times before (always with my boss).  But I'll get a weekend out there and while it's far out, it's a coverage trip not a project trip so I shouldn't be crazy busy.   :yarr

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
Surprise, just found out a work trip was set for me.  My coworker in Amsterdam is taking a 2 week vacation at the end of August and I've been asked to go there to cover for him.  I just booked it.  Pretty excited because I've never gone to Europe solo and I feel comfortable going to Ams since I've been there 5 times before (always with my boss).  But I'll get a weekend out there and while it's far out, it's a coverage trip not a project trip so I shouldn't be crazy busy.   :yarr
Cool!  Amsterdam will be awesome!  August should be a good time!! Some day I'll make it there, and other parts of Europe.  Probably when I can't dive anymore... :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2018, 11:57:39 AM »
I'm starting to plan a 2 week Colorado road trip for next summer and am wishing I had a month! So many good placed to check out. We're focusing mainly on natural areas and are hitting up the four national parks in the state for sure plus some national monuments and potentially some state parks. Anyone spend a lot of time in Colorado that has any recommendations of can't miss places to hit?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
Rocky Mountain National Park is amazing, absolute loved my day trip there.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQcGBQptEk

I'd highly suggest checking out a concert at the Red Rocks, even if it's not necessarily your music, assuming there's some concerts during your stay in the area.  I'd say it's easily my favorite concert venue and the two concerts I've been to there weren't bands I am totally into, it's just the atmosphere and setting.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2018, 04:23:45 PM »
Planning 3 nights at Rocky Mountain as of now. We won't be able to do a.concert at Red Rocks. Is it worth stopping and exploaring the area for a couple hours? It's right on our way from Rocky Mountain to Black Canyon NP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45:12 PM »
Yea it's open to the public during the day so it's definitely cool to check out and you can walk around the area.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
Planning 3 nights at Rocky Mountain as of now. We won't be able to do a.concert at Red Rocks. Is it worth stopping and exploaring the area for a couple hours? It's right on our way from Rocky Mountain to Black Canyon NP.
I showed up at Red Rocks in the afternoon and they were happy to let me in, even though they were setting up for a Crüe concert later on that night. "Sure, go on in. Please don't get in the way, and we'd kindly ask that you leave before the show starts."

Mt. Evans is probably already on your list, but it's certainly worth a couple of hours. Same with Garden of the Gods. Either heading to or away from RMNP the Peak to Peak Highway is a pleasant drive. State Forest State Park offers all of he scenery of RMNP but none of the crowds. If you're camping I can turn you on to a couple of nifty, out of the way spots.

Best advice I can offer up is to spend as much time figuring out how you get there as where you go. Colorado is a wonderful place to drive around in, and if you plan your routes well you'll be pulling over to take pictures all the time.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
I keep telling myself to go to Garden of the Gods and always end up saying "next time" even when I am close by eating at Rudys (good BBQ) which is nearby.  I'll make it there one day.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »
Garden of the Gods is on the list for sure.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
Traveling to Spain in 2 weeks. Will be in Barcelona for 5 days and Madrid for 4 days.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2019, 04:04:07 AM »
Traveling to Spain in 2 weeks. Will be in Barcelona for 5 days

Of course you'll have your priorities and expectations, but.... don't miss anything Gaudì! the Sagrada Familia and *especially* its interiors are a wonder of the world, and also the Park Guell (expensive however), Casa Batllò and the Pedreira are awesome.

Avoid whenever possible line 1 (red) of the subway -it's INSANELY HOT and ugly, walk, take a bus, but do yourself a favor and skip the line 1 of the subway.

Also - free boobs at the Barceloneta beach  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »
Also - free boobs at the Barceloneta beach  ;D

:coolio

Looks like I am officially out of going to Singapore for a work trip in July which I'm actually really happy about.  Now I hope my Amsterdam trip in August goes through though. 

Atlanta is booked for Progpower in September

and the last week of September I am off from work and currently have nothing scheduled so starting to think about vacation ideas (no DR)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
and the last week of September I am off from work and currently have nothing scheduled so starting to think about vacation ideas (no DR)
Iron Maiden in Mexico City.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »

Sounds cool but I guess that Friday date would work, not the Sunday since I need to be back on the 30th.  But I'm not sure going Mexico City is on my list of places to go to.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »

Sounds cool but I guess that Friday date would work, not the Sunday since I need to be back on the 30th.  But I'm not sure going Mexico City is on my list of places to go to.
Mexico's coolness is in many ways linked to the value of the peso. For me it's a place I can travel and live high on the hog on a modest income. Appetizer, NY strip, two sides, a couple of beers, coffee and flan sets me back about $40, and it's Dallas steakhouse quality. High-rise apartments overlooking Alameda Park are running about $50-60 right now. Front section for those Maiden shows is about $70, and an event shirt about 20. Public transportation is a snap, and dirt cheep. My proximity certainly has something to do with it, but for me it's a fine way to spend a weekend.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2019, 12:21:51 PM »

Mexico's coolness is in many ways linked to the value of the peso. For me it's a place I can travel and live high on the hog on a modest income. Appetizer, NY strip, two sides, a couple of beers, coffee and flan sets me back about $40, and it's Dallas steakhouse quality. High-rise apartments overlooking Alameda Park are running about $50-60 right now. Front section for those Maiden shows is about $70, and an event shirt about 20. Public transportation is a snap, and dirt cheep. My proximity certainly has something to do with it, but for me it's a fine way to spend a weekend.

I was looking at the tickets out of curiosity, that is cool that it is all cheap.  I am just not sure how comfortable I am going to Mexico City solo.  I think you've said before it's very safe and all.  I don't know, I know very little other than what most people tell me "Mexico isn't safe" but other than seeing IM there, what else would I be doing? 

If anything, right now I am leaning towards not making that a concert trip, but going somewhere nice to relax or potentially Vegas with a road trip to Utah (which was my initial plan for vacation this year before the gf cut ties) but its all up in the air.   Maybe I'll look more into Maiden Mexico but my initial thought is, probably not happening for me.  Especially since I'll see IM twice already.

Although I have considered catching Kamelot again that week, but also not a high priority band since I will see them locally.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2019, 12:55:06 PM »

I was looking at the tickets out of curiosity, that is cool that it is all cheap.  I am just not sure how comfortable I am going to Mexico City solo.  I think you've said before it's very safe and all.  I don't know, I know very little other than what most people tell me "Mexico isn't safe" but other than seeing IM there, what else would I be doing? 

If anything, right now I am leaning towards not making that a concert trip, but going somewhere nice to relax or potentially Vegas with a road trip to Utah (which was my initial plan for vacation this year before the gf cut ties) but its all up in the air.   Maybe I'll look more into Maiden Mexico but my initial thought is, probably not happening for me.  Especially since I'll see IM twice already.

Although I have considered catching Kamelot again that week, but also not a high priority band since I will see them locally.
Yeah, the "what else would I be doing" part is the question. DF is kind of a cultural place, so if you're not keen on museums, anthropology, and Frida Fucking Khalo it's not hugely interesting. That's why I generally only do weekend trips there. Though I'm pretty happy just exploring. There are plenty of interesting parks and old churches, so it works alright for me. I'll likely take in some luca libre down there on this trip, just because it seems like something you should do (and I'm not interested in seeing bulls stabbed to death). A seat down close enough that you have to dodge flying chairs is a relatively expensive $15 bucks or something. But for me it's worth it just to pop down and see a great band in an environment you simply can't get up here in the US. It really is a completely different experience down there. I've already decided I'll be seeing Rammstein in Mexico next time they tour this side of the Atlantic. That should be pretty cool.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »
Yea I think that's the coolest part, the environment for Maiden in Mexico is probably unlike anything I have ever seen and maybe will ever see. 

Is it easy to get around there without knowing Spanish?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
Yea I think that's the coolest part, the environment for Maiden in Mexico is probably unlike anything I have ever seen and maybe will ever see. 

Is it easy to get around there without knowing Spanish?
Probably not any harder than getting around Amsterdam without speaking Amsterdamese.  :lol

The truth is there aren't a ton of English speakers down there, but numbers are the same. Converting dollars to pesos is a cinch. Most places have menus in English. If you've ridden one subway you've ridden them all. For all else it's Google to the rescue. In my experience all of them have google translate on their phones ready to roll, for some reason. I've really never had any problem down there.

Interestingly, at concerts they all speak English. As a white guy with a giant beard I'm a point of huge fascination to those guys. I get chatted up all the time and pose for a lot of pictures with the locals. At the first might of the Metallica gigs they actually started a "Z-Z-TOP" chant in my honor.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
The hubby and I are going to old school road trip it without any accommodations booked, which makes me a bit nervous - find a hotel or use the tent. Possible spots we may see/drive through - Sedona, Horseshoe bend, Antelope Canyon, North Rim of Grand Canyon, Zion, SLC, Grand Teton, Yellowstone. We'll play it day by day and see what we want. I know several of those things require reservations though and will be pretty packed when we are planning on going.