Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 54016 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
The introductory bonuses all seem to be about the same. 50k after you spend 4 grand in the first 3 months. Since we're talking about it, how much traveling money will 50k points get you with that Sapphire card? With American it'll get you to Europe but not back (30k each way), or 3 legs domestic (15k ea). SWA varies depending on how crappy the flight is. You might get 8-10 legs flying red-eyes,  or two legs for a flight that doesn't suck ass (at least more than customary).

The Chase points relate directly to the dollar so 50k points will be worth $500 straight up.  But if you use those points and book through Chase, you get the 20% additional worth so now your 50k points are worth $600 in travel.  So now it all depends on what flight you want/airline to see how far $600 gets you. 

and pretty much what lord said

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »
It'd be nice if they had more travel partners. United and SWA are the only two that'd really be of use to me, and the 1/1 transfer to air miles would generally be a better travel deal. Sadly, KLM doesn't do many DFW-LAX flights.

I did discover this, though:
EXTRA VALUE ON the Chase Freedom®

Many people carry both the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and the Chase Freedom® — and enjoy serious rewards for doing so. The Chase Freedom® gives you 5% back on up to $1,500 in spending per quarter in bonus categories, and 1% back on all other spending. Although the Chase Freedom® is a cash-back card, its rewards are technically earned in the form of Ultimate Rewards points — which you can transfer to the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
The Jan-Mar bonus category was "gas stations, internet, cable, phone." That would have worked pretty well for me. Apr-Jun is grocery stores. It has no annual fee and comes with a 15k bonus after a very modest $500 purchases. If you use one for nothing but travel and the other for everything else you'd really jack up your earnings.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 08:50:10 AM »
Yea, I have the Chase Freedom as well since it's free and was using that for the 5% categories for years before I got the Sapphire once I started traveling.  It's nice and all, but I find myself forgetting to use it in the changing categories and find it mostly goes to waste for the bonus because I can't remember to use it in those times.  But it is nice that it has the same rewards program that you can transfer to and from. 

There is a newer similar Chase card (Chase Unlimited) to the freedom that does away with the 5% and just gives 1.5% back on everything that I considered switching too, but the $150 bonus isn't very enticing and I keep telling myself "remember to use the Freedom on gas/whatever"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »
And then there's this:

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »
I should add that I've been wrong, and for the better, that the Chase points used toward travel are actually worth 25% more, not the 20% I've been saying.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »
I have the three Chase cards as well. I use the Chase Freedom for anything in the 5% back categories. Chase Sapphire for all dining and travel to get 2% back. Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else to get the 1.5% back. Then I transfer all the points to the Sapphire card to get the 25% bonus on points. A little complicated, but that's the best way to maximize points.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
I have the three Chase cards as well. I use the Chase Freedom for anything in the 5% back categories. Chase Sapphire for all dining and travel to get 2% back. Chase Freedom Unlimited for everything else to get the 1.5% back. Then I transfer all the points to the Sapphire card to get the 25% bonus on points. A little complicated, but that's the best way to maximize points.
I applied for the Freedom today. I'll get the sapphire when it's time to blow a few grand. I'll pass on the Unlimited since that's a little too much hassle (and credit) for the .5%.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »
I worked for Chase for a few years and absolutely hated it there, but I got to admit, they have a really good product for their credit cards.  I really didn't want to become a Chase customer because of my experience working for them, but it just made too much sense.  I've also had no issues with them.  I had one instance of about $10k of illegal charges on my card that they removed hassle free.  So I think you made a good choice

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
I worked for Chase for a few years and absolutely hated it there, but I got to admit, they have a really good product for their credit cards.  I really didn't want to become a Chase customer because of my experience working for them, but it just made too much sense.  I've also had no issues with them.  I had one instance of about $10k of illegal charges on my card that they removed hassle free.  So I think you made a good choice
They were notoriously bad for a while. Not quite as bad as Cap1, but still pretty loathed. In my case I don't use cards in any way that would create problems, so I'm not concerned about it. I don't run credit, withdraw money, or transfer balances. I pay my bill at the end of each month and pay no attention to them. Besides, I'm still a Citi member since '91, so I'll have that card to fall back on should Chase shit the bed.

It's their banking that I can't stand. Every other year my bank would get bought out and eventually landed on Chase. Boy, did that suck. Using a regional bank now and I really dig those guys.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
We're getting our 4th nor'easter in a month tomorrow... hoping it doesn't mess up my flight plans on Thursday.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 06:32:53 PM »
Heading to Cozumel for an 18 day dive safari in mid-May!  Can't wait!  Then in mid June 6 days fishing the east vape of Baja in Los Barriles and diving with Sea Lions and Hammerheads in La Paz!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
Pretty sure "business as usual" for Mexico still means stay the F out.
  I feel safer in Mexico than I do in So Cal...... :lol  I spend a LOT of time there, including 3 years living, and have had only very minor issues.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2018, 08:58:05 PM »
I was supposed to get on a plane to Florida today.
Thanks to [yet another] fucking snowstorm, not only did I have to postpone my trip, but now I still have to dig my car out from under 6 god damn inches of snow tomorrow morning, and I still have to go to work.
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
What's teh annual fee of the chase sapphire? I have a AmEx Gold that I get great rewards with.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »
What's teh annual fee of the chase sapphire? I have a AmEx Gold that I get great rewards with.

$95

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »

$95
Waived the first year (and if they're like Citi, subsequent years if you call and ask them nicely). The Freedom card that gets you 5x points has no annual fee.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
Damn. I was just reminded that one of the reasons I quit using my Chase card in lieu of Citi is that I fucking hate talking to Bangladeshis. Anytime you're dealing with financial or technical matters you need to deal with somebody in their native language. I don't care how good your English is, if it's your secondary language you're not going to understand me and you are going to piss me off.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2018, 05:02:01 AM »
I'm personally a huge fan of chase, at least when choosing from the big banks. There are no local chase branches here but I make it work.

As far as "offshore" help is concerned I would love for them to go away. 80% of the time I have to work late at work or there is a production issue is because one of our offshore dudes fucked something up with zero consequences.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »
Not quite sure this fits with the topic, but I've decided to take my son on a baseball trip to New York when he's on summer vacation.  We're going to go for about a week somewhere around June 20-30 and will be taking in a Yankees game and a Mets game (the Dodgers will be playing the Mets June 22-24, so we'll likely go to one of those games).  We also may try to catch one or more minor league baseball games: Brooklyn Cyclones, Staten Island Yankees, Hudson Valley Renegades and/or Hartford Yard Goats (Hartford's on the list primary because "Yard Goats" might be the best team name I've heard in a long while).

Anyone have suggestions for hotels that will be reasonably close to both Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.  I'd prefer to be in Manhattan if possible, but I don't want to break the bank on the hotel.  I'm all about taking the Subway when I travel to cities with good public transportation, so all I really need is something with good subway access.

Also, suggestions for things that a 16 year old boy would enjoy doing in NYC would be appreciated.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
Trying to stay between both stadiums and in Manhatten pretty much puts you in mid town.  You can hop on subways to get where you need to go from there and you are in the heart of the city so Times Square, central park, broadway, and anything else is pretty much walking distance.  But staying midtown usually isn't cheap so there's that to consider.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »
Trying to stay between both stadiums and in Manhatten pretty much puts you in mid town.  You can hop on subways to get where you need to go from there and you are in the heart of the city so Times Square, central park, broadway, and anything else is pretty much walking distance.  But staying midtown usually isn't cheap so there's that to consider.

Thanks.  I don't need to be equidistant between the two stadiums:  just somewhere I can hop on a subway and that is in a "reasonably nice" area.  I suppose staying on Staten Island wouldn't be all that convenient either, but I'm open to Queens or Brooklyn.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
If you're not opposed to the occasional 45 minute subway ride then it probably doesn't matter where you stay from a location standpoint. Staying in Manhattan saves you some travel time in your day to day sight-seeing and exploring. I crashed in Queens (Astoria) last time I was out there and dug it. A better "neighborhood" vibe, and every type of food known to man on my block. It added 20-30 minutes of subway time getting to Manhattan, though.

In my experience hotels pretty much double their rates Fri/Sat nights in NY. I wouldn't make it a Sat-Sat trip if I could avoid it. Also, don't forget about AirB&B.

There's a good part of a day just exploring Central Park. And the Met is one of the few museums even a 16 year old would dig. The Intrepid Air/Space Museum is pretty cool, but not exactly cheap. If you're staying there a week and looking for things to do, keep in mind that Phili is only an hour-ten away by train.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
If you're not opposed to the occasional 45 minute subway ride then it probably doesn't matter where you stay from a location standpoint. Staying in Manhattan saves you some travel time in your day to day sight-seeing and exploring. I crashed in Queens (Astoria) last time I was out there and dug it. A better "neighborhood" vibe, and every type of food known to man on my block. It added 20-30 minutes of subway time getting to Manhattan, though.

In my experience hotels pretty much double their rates Fri/Sat nights in NY. I wouldn't make it a Sat-Sat trip if I could avoid it. Also, don't forget about AirB&B.

There's a good part of a day just exploring Central Park. And the Met is one of the few museums even a 16 year old would dig. The Intrepid Air/Space Museum is pretty cool, but not exactly cheap. If you're staying there a week and looking for things to do, keep in mind that Phili is only an hour-ten away by train.

Thanks for the tips!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 07:02:27 AM »
So, this month, one of the manufacturers that our company is a distributor for is sending the President of our company on a 10 day Danube River cruise, Nuremberg to Budapest. It's a reward for hitting a sales mark for their equipment. But, in January he found out his wife has pancreatic cancer and he told me, then, that he didn't think they could go on the trip so he wanted me and the Mrs. to go in his stead. I told him, no way. That at that point in the process they'd probably want to get away. Besides, it just felt goulish to me to take advantage of their tragedy.

So fast forward to last week. Months of diagnosis, chemo, etc and miracle of miracle the tumor is gone and she's now a candidate for surgery. Still the chemo has stomped the shit out of her. She feels terrible, has and infection in her leg, a blood clot in her leg, and convinces the Pres that they shouldn't go on the trip. So yesterday he announces that I have to go in his stead.

It just doesn't feel right, but I go home and tell Mrs. P that we have two weeks to get ready. She's sad for them too, but at the same time, Vienna and Budapest, right? We start planning for the weather there, making plans to get to the safety deposit box for our passports, deciding on who we want to ask to come stay with the animals and generally get the process going. We're starting to look forward to the trip. I'm just pulling out my digital SLR camera from the closet (to see if it needs cleaning) when the Pres calls. They just got back from another consultation with the surgeon and he told her to stop being a whiney-ass and go on the fucking trip. He wants her relaxed and a month done with chemo before he cuts her open.

So, now we're not going. Strangely, I'm pretty happy about it.

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
Pretty crazy and shitty scenario, but yeah, I can totally see how odd the feeling of going in their place would have been and it's great that they are just going to go and hopefully really enjoy it.

Last night I booked my next work trip, Denver for the first two weeks of May.  When I get back I'll work a week and then I go to Florida for vacation for 8 days.  Pretty excited, a lot of stuff going on in the near future including a road trip to Albany next weekend for my buddy's birthday who is doing his residency up there. 

While the Denver trip is for work, I'm pretty excited.  Definitely one of my favorite cities to visit and is really my favorite from a work perspective too.  Also, I should have a day off over the weekend meaning I can do something fun, although my coworker will be with me which will really be annoying, but whatever.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
So, I haven't been on a plane since 96 and the pre 911 days it was pretty smooth boarding.

With modern day TSA and airport security:

1. How long does it usually take to get through
2. Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

Its just me traveling alone. I'm not checking any luggage. Its just one bookbag with the bare minimum for a 3 day trip.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2018, 01:56:08 PM »
Well, if you have a couple of weeks before your flight and plan on flying in the future, I can highly recommend TSA pre check.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
Depending on the airport and the time of day allow plenty of time. At DAL you're only looking at 10 minutes or so to clear TSA. I've spent an hour at DEN, and two at LHR.

Personally, I opt out of the body scanner in favor of a pat down. Mostly because I don't play ball. It's also true that off the record a lot of TSA guys will tell you they don't really trust the things.

Don't wear baggy pants. Do wear underwear. Buy travel size toiletries.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
So, I haven't been on a plane since 96 and the pre 911 days it was pretty smooth boarding.

With modern day TSA and airport security:

1. How long does it usually take to get through
2. Any tips on what to do and what not to do?

Its just me traveling alone. I'm not checking any luggage. Its just one bookbag with the bare minimum for a 3 day trip.

1. A lot of airports show the current security wait times on their website.  Take a look and see how they look for you beforehand and the day of to get an idea of what it could be like.  It's hard to give a specific answer as some airports are busier than others and some days/times are worse than others.  I would say give yourself at least 30 minutes, but you may need more if you see a pattern beforehand that wait times are long.  Especially summer travel or around the holidays, expect longer waits. 

2.  The best tip is to just comply and act normal.  If you have nothing to hide then there's nothing to worry about.  Just follow the instructions.  Even if you are hiding something, they aren't very good at finding it  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2018, 02:16:04 PM »
2.  The best tip is to just comply and act normal.
Just don't act too normal. They're looking for that.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Very good points guys. Thanks

I don't think I could act normal if I tried  :lol    And I'm definitely going for the pat down. Beats paying the cuddle cafes :eyebrows:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »

I don't think I could act normal if I tried  :lol    And I'm definitely going for the pat down. Beats paying the cuddle cafes :eyebrows:

Well, I think you guys know what I mean  :lol.  Don't draw attention to yourself if you are looking for a smooth security experience.  I would say opting for the pat down IS drawing attention to yourself, but I don't have much more else to say if that's the option you want, I respect your wanting of privacy, but that type of thing is something that definitely gets an extra look your way because you are now making an agent work a little more.  I always say thank you to the agents and things like that, be polite.  The TSA agents almost always look like they'd rather be somewhere else (and I can see why) so just be nice to them, even if one is being an asshole.  I've found most to be pretty nice, but every once in awhile you got the one who takes their power too seriously.  Be nice to that one too, niceness goes a long way.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »

Well, I think you guys know what I mean  :lol.  Don't draw attention to yourself if you are looking for a smooth security experience.  I would say opting for the pat down IS drawing attention to yourself, but I don't have much more else to say if that's the option you want, I respect your wanting of privacy, but that type of thing is something that definitely gets an extra look your way because you are now making an agent work a little more.  I always say thank you to the agents and things like that, be polite.  The TSA agents almost always look like they'd rather be somewhere else (and I can see why) so just be nice to them, even if one is being an asshole.  I've found most to be pretty nice, but every once in awhile you got the one who takes their power too seriously.  Be nice to that one too, niceness goes a long way.
I was mostly making a joke about their rules for identifying suspicious people. Looking nervous or looking calm are red flags. Being the last to board, the first to board, or slipping into the middle is a red flag. Bringing a lot of stuff or a little stuff is a red flag. You get the point.

As for opting out, it's not about privacy. As you pointed out, you actually draw more attention to yourself, and I don't have any hangups about modesty. I just think the whole thing is bullshit and choose to be an exception. Also, I'm pretty nice to them and they're pretty nice to me. Every guy that's patted me down has been apologetic and friendly. Talking football or offering sightseeing advice, that sort of thing. I think they appreciate a break from the routine, and they understand why people opt out. Lastly, if you're carrying, that's the best way to go about it. I hear they've changed their procedure a bit, but I've never had them get anywhere near friendly enough to find anything I might have had stashed. Bouncers at clubs will get far more familiar with you than those TSA guys.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2018, 04:13:48 PM »
I'm now filling out the global entry application. It apparently covers both international and domestic TSA pre check for 5 years. Should be helpful.

From how it looks, once cleared. I can just scan my passport at the kiosk, put my fingers on the screen to confirm its me and then it prints a ticket and I then can then bypass security?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:29:50 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2018, 05:21:15 PM »
I'm now filling out the global entry application. It apparently covers both international and domestic TSA pre check for 5 years. Should be helpful.

From how it looks, once cleared. I can just scan my passport at the kiosk, put my fingers on the screen to confirm its me and then it prints a ticket and I then can then bypass security?

Yea, so I guess you plan on travelling frequently? Especially in/out of the country?

So I had global entry.  I don't anymore, I got a misdemeanor which lead to them taking it away from me, but that's another story.  Global entry will give you everything the TSA pre-check gives you, but will also give you expedited access when returning to the USA.  It allows you to bypass the line going through passport control in customs.  You then get to use a kiosk instead of speaking to an officer.  It takes a picture of you as well.  It's makes returning to the country super quick and easy. 

So back to your future plans of traveling, if you are travelling domestically frequently, the TSA pre-check is nice.  If you travel internationally a lot, global entry is really nice. 

Also you have to do an interview with a customs agent for the global entry.  It was pretty much a joke for me, "why do you want this?" "For work" and off I go.  I've heard a few others grilled a little harder as to their intentions, but never heard of any issues with the interview process other than it's annoying to have to do.