Author Topic: *Official* Poison appreciation thread  (Read 2750 times)

Offline gborland

Re: *Official* Poison appreciation thread
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 07:51:00 AM »
Valley of Lost Souls. What a track. Love the way it builds, and then explodes into the main riff.

Completely agree, it's an awesome album opener.

I can never forgive them for that painful apostrophe in Every Rose Has It's [sic] Thorn, though. Easy on the ears, but not on the eyes.
Graham Borland

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
I can’t believe I didn’t notice the apostrophe thing before. That stuff normally drives me crazy!

I liked Poison well enough back in the day, especially around the time of Flesh and Blood. Lots of good songs on that.

After that, I kinda lost interest around the time of Native Tongue, maybe because it was such a shift in direction. In fairness to that album, I listened to it recently and it stands up pretty well.

Is anyone familiar with the Crack a Smile album? It was recorded but never released at the time. There’s a song on it called Tragically Unhip which I really love, with some really tasty guitar playing.

https://youtu.be/Lri5sRiyDyM

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »
I’ve got all their studio albums. Always liked them. They were KISS lite musically I guess but wrote catchy songs that rocked enough. They improved over time too. It wasn’t rocket science but rock doesn’t need to be. The image gave people a stick to beat them with but it pulled in th3 female crowd.

I was into the hair metal thing and wasn’t a Music snob at all, even though I also loved the neo classical stuff and some prog.

Brett’s Voice was good and he could work a crowd.

I’m another fan of Native Tongue. I also enjoyed Crack A Smile, mainly for Blues Saracino.

I remember going to see them on the Native Tongue tour and remember going for a piss and thinking I’d walked into the wrong bathroom because there were all these people fixing their makeup in 5he mirror. I started to apologise for my mistake until I realised they were blokes. It wasn’t anything I’d seen before in Manchester, even at other hair metal gigs.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
Funny you should mention the Native Tongue tour (nice anecdote, by the way!). I only recently acquired the live recording from that tour: Seven Days Live. I have a shit tonne of man love for Richie Kotzen but good god, he butchers virtually every solo of CC's. Say what you like about CC but the solos he wrote always fit the song.

Never noticed the apostrophe abuse re Every Rose. Will have to take a look :lol

Edit: just checked out my original (uncensored :biggrin: ) LP and no issue with Every Rose... not on the 12", either. Where'd ya see it, G-man? (Also, saw your posts elsewhere re Sons of Anarchy and Glasgow - are you going?)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
C.C. does that same riff in every solo. My brother and I greet each other making that noodling riff. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gborland

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
Never noticed the apostrophe abuse re Every Rose. Will have to take a look :lol

Edit: just checked out my original (uncensored :biggrin: ) LP and no issue with Every Rose... not on the 12", either. Where'd ya see it, G-man?

Oops, my bad. I've never seen the original album cover TBH, just seen that song on thousands of compilations and soundtracks where the illegal and unwelcome apostrophe makes its presence felt. I do Poison a disservice by doubting their correctness. :)

(Also, saw your posts elsewhere re Sons of Anarchy and Glasgow - are you going?)

Yes, for a laugh...
Graham Borland

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:08 PM »
I saw Poison on the Flesh & Blood tour, with Warrant opening.  Honestly, that was the best-sounding concert I've ever been to.   All the parts, including vocals, were clear and easy to hear.