Author Topic: DT in everyday life  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
DT in everyday life
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I'm sitting at my desk at work, and there's this guy two aisles over from me, talking on the phone very loudly.  He's the manager of some other group, and every week he leads a phone meeting where he goes over a whole list of stuff.  We all get to listen every week.

One of his favorite expressions is "draw a line in the sand".  As they work their way down the list, he talks about how they have to address this or that, or have a peer review, or whatever, but if push comes to shove, they'll have to "draw a line in sand".  That's his go-to expression; it seems to come up once or twice every meeting.  I think about all the lines in the sand that they've drawn, which inevitably makes me think of the song "Lines in the Sand" and then that song is stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Recently, I was reading something about Native Americans and the "forced relocation" by the U.S. government in the 1800's.  This was known as the "Trail of Tears".  Every time I read that, I thought it was "Trial of Tears".  At some point, I realized that the word was "Trail", not "Trial".  But it didn't matter.  That song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Offline pg1067

Re: DT in everyday life
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
I can't think of anything specific on this point (although there's a girl in my office who "dresses in black every day"), but this sort of thing happens all the time (and not just DT-related).  Frequently when it comes up with my kids, I will continue the lyrics.  It typically annoys them, which pleases me.  ;-)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:56:46 PM »
Hmm.. DT in real life...
"Don't ever come near me again, do you really think I need you."  ;D

No, in all seriousness. Me and my friends speaking about the future: "it's only a matter of time" is the only one that comes to my mind..

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
Never Enough. Sometimes the more you do, it's still never enough.  Its symbolic to me in the way that the world demands too much from us, and it never stops. I then get that angry yet kick-ass opening riff going through my head.. :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 02:57:27 AM »
If I happen to be running late, the line "selfish enough to make you wait for me" often comes to my mind. Inspires me to be more punctual. After a day of sloth and doing nothing productive, "lazy enough to sleep all day, let my life just waste away" tends to pop in. All in all, I really like The Root of All Evil.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
When somebody text me that he/she is late...my reply: "Take The Time"!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 06:33:18 AM »
I've used "Now wait a minute, man. That's not how it is" in a debate before.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
Ha ha!! :lol  So have I.  And of course they never realize that I'm quoting a song, but it's not exactly an unusual phrase, and I tend to talk that way anyway.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »
When some people tell me I have to watch what I eat or I will die young I tell them "There is no reason to live forever"
And she listens openly

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
Since I live in New York, every time it rains I say “it’s  raining, it’s raining, on the streets of New York City”. And then I have to go listen to trial of tears.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Evai

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »
Literally anytime someone says 'It's raining'...
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »
All the time. Just yesterday I heard someone mention a change of seasons when talking about meteorological spring

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »
Never Enough. Sometimes the more you do, it's still never enough.  Its symbolic to me in the way that the world demands too much from us, and it never stops. I then get that angry yet kick-ass opening riff going through my head.. :metal

I don't like NE that much, but I can totally relate to that feeling. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how hard you try, people will always complain about something you did/didn't do.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."