Poll

Images & Words or Rust in Peace?

Dream Theater - Images & Words
81 (97.6%)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Images & Words or Rust in Peace?  (Read 3258 times)

Offline WildRanger

Images & Words or Rust in Peace?
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Pick a side.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Images & Words or Rust in Peace?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
What are we comparing here? There's almost nothing similar about these albums other than being part of the vast ocean that is metal music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
What are we comparing here? There's almost nothing similar about these albums other than being part of the vast ocean that is metal music.

They're from the same year! ...no, wait, RiP is from 1990.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
Images.  But MAN this was a lot harder for me than I would have thought it would be.  Rust is a fantastic album (although it took me awhile to get into it back in the day).

I also hope WildRanger isn't shocked that this will likely be a landslide in terms of the poll.  I mean, this IS a Dream Theater forum, and we are talking about perhaps their most-beloved album.  Of course, if we were on a Megadeth forum, I would expect the exact opposite landslide. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
The sound of James Labrie puking his guts out after getting food poisoning would sound better than anything Megadeth has created. I voted for I&W.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 11:05:48 AM »
 :lol
The sound of James Labrie puking his guts out after getting food poisoning would sound better than anything Megadeth has created. I voted for I&W.

:lol

I really like RiP & CtE, but this is I&W we're talking about here fam!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »

Yeah for sure.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »

Well, can't argue with that.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »

Well, can't argue with that.

I can.  Tastes aside, that is being far to dismissive of a landmark metal album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »

I quite dig several Megadeth songs, but still this is  :rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »
Gee, I wonder how this poll will end up!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
This is a Dream Theater fan forum. What sort of result would you expect form a poll question such as this one?

It will be I&W by a landslide.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

Pretty much this.  I can't stand Mustaine's voice and have never enjoyed anything I've ever heard by Megadeath.  In fact, I vaguely recall seeing Megadeath open for Judas Priest on either the Ram It Down or Painkiller tour and sitting in my seat balancing my checkbook while Megadeath was on stage (why I had my checkbook with me at a concert is beyond me...).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »

Pretty much this.  I can't stand Mustaine's voice and have never enjoyed anything I've ever heard by Megadeath.  In fact, I vaguely recall seeing Megadeath open for Judas Priest on either the Ram It Down or Painkiller tour and sitting in my seat balancing my checkbook while Megadeath was on stage (why I had my checkbook with me at a concert is beyond me...).

I was in the second row of Gigantour at Jones Beach when DT co-headlined. I slept through Megadeth's set (seriously).

Offline Evai

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »
Need I rrrrremind you, I am the rrruler here...

Mustaine has an awesome voice :D or had
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »
Images & Words

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 01:51:19 PM »

I was in the second row of Gigantour at Jones Beach when DT co-headlined. I slept through Megadeth's set (seriously).

Okay, but in all seriousness, you also slept through falling and causing yourself serious bodily injury, so I'm not sure how that is supposed to be an indictment against Megadeth's music. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 01:56:26 PM »

Okay, but in all seriousness, you also slept through falling and causing yourself serious bodily injury, so I'm not sure how that is supposed to be an indictment against Megadeth's music.

Because when I fell off the balcony I had a blood/alcohol level of .29. I was stone cold sober when I saw Megadeth. And I didn't sleep through fall. I was awake before I left the rail and for a good twenty minutes after the fact while I waited for the ambulance.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
I was stone cold sober when I saw Megadeth.

I'm sure there are many who would say you did it wrong then.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
This is a Dream Theater fan forum. What sort of result would you expect form a poll question such as this one?

It will be I&W by a landslide.

Even more so when the poll is posted in DT-side rather than GMD. I'm actually surprised RIP has even got the 1 vote it has.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
Rust in Peace is a legendary album but even at that point it has its flaws. Images and Words is one of the closest things I've seen to a perfect album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
Rust in Peace is a legendary album but even at that point it has its flaws. Images and Words is one of the closest things I've seen to a perfect album.

This.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
Even though Holy Wars may be the single greatest thrash metal song ever written by anyone ever (including Metallica)...I always thought Rust In Peace as an album was very overrated.   I prefer SFSGSW by far.   There’s not a single song on that album I don’t adore.   The remix is crap though...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soheil

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 12:30:00 AM »
Love them both for different reasons. Classic albums for sure. But if I had to choose one side, no contest. I&W FTW  :metal

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »
Only one vote for a landmark metal album RiP and 50 for I&W? Is this real?
I think, pretty much on any other rock/metal forum in a poll like this, I&W would be absolutely blown away by RiP.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 04:46:47 AM »

In the Dream Theater section of a forum dedicated to Dream Theater fans? yes, it's real.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:37 AM »
I think, pretty much on any other rock/metal forum in a poll like this, I&W would be absolutely blown away by RiP.

Imagine that, a DT subforum on a DT forum voting for a DT album! I still don't know what we're comparing here. Two completely different albums side by side with no context for comparison. No surprise at all.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 06:54:42 AM »

I agree with this and voted for RiP myself, but what did you expect posting this on a DT forum  :lol Both are legendary albums to me though.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 07:30:32 AM »
Only one vote for a landmark metal album RiP and 50 for another landmark metal album

Fix'd.

Also, I add my voice to the chorus of "What else did you expect?" above.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »
Yeah... if you'd want to see a closer result, perhaps have RiP go up against a less revered DT album.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »

In the Dream Theater section of a forum dedicated to Dream Theater fans? yes, it's real.

Yeah, but I thought Images & Words doesn't have to be among top 3 favorite DT albums of certain DT fans, while Rust in Peace could be among favorite (metal) albums of those members. So if we're going by that logic RiP should have more votes in this poll.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »

Yeah, but I thought Images & Words doesn't have to be among top 3 favorite DT albums of certain DT fans, while Rust in Peace could be among favorite (metal) albums of those members. So if we're going by that logic RiP should have more votes in this poll.

I don't think that logic works here. I have no idea how many (or few) Megadeth fans are here on this forum. However, everyone here is or was a DT fan, and I&W is at or near the top of MANY of our lists.

Edit* Perhaps you could think of it like this. Ask everyone on here, a DT forum, if they had to pick one, which album they could never listen to again. I'd expect RiP to win that one by a landslide.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:47:20 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
In my many years of talking to DT fans I've only ever encountered a small handful that don't have I&W somewhere in their top 5, or even top 3.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »
In my many years of talking to DT fans I've only ever encountered a small handful that don't have I&W somewhere in their top 5, or even top 3.

Exactly.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
This poll is stating the obvious considering the crowd here.  Compare Rust in Peace to Black Clouds and there may be more of a challenge.