Poll

Pick one or two guys: Page or Iommi or Blackmore or May or Lifeson or Gilmour or Halen?

Jimmy Page (Zep)
18 (12.2%)
Tony Iommi (Sabbath)
14 (9.5%)
Ritchie Blackmore (Purple, Rainbow)
15 (10.2%)
Brian May (Queen)
19 (12.9%)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
33 (22.4%)
David Gilmour (Floyd)
31 (21.1%)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
17 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: POLL: 7 classic rock guitarists!  (Read 4000 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: POLL: 7 classic rock guitarists!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
For the sake of the poll, given the choices, I went with Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen. Both are great.

No one cares about your sakes. :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
You care. You know you care.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 09:08:23 PM »
You care. You know you care.

For you baby.  For you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »
Uli Jon Roth and Neal Schon  ;D

Yeah, there's two more guys missing that are easily in league with anyone else that has been mentioned.

The first three Journey albums (pre-Steve Perry) are some of the greatest guitar albums ever recorded.

And talking about diversity, Uli Roth could/can play any style imaginable. I doubt that any of these other players could even approach the classical guitar intro to Fly to the Rainbow.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 05:33:44 AM »

And talking about diversity, Uli Roth could/can play any style imaginable. I doubt that any of these other players could even approach the classical guitar intro to Fly to the Rainbow.

When it comes to classical guitar Roth is great, but he can't touch Blackmore. And Blackmore could easily approach the intro to Fly to the Rainbow. I doubt that UJR could approach this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgZIFtKUzw

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 05:35:32 AM »
Gilmour and Iommi.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 06:15:27 AM »
Look, we're clearly talking about the cream of the crop here, so it's not as if any one of these guys suck or anything, but having seen it up close and personal (I was front row for my last Blackmore's Night show; no, not in costume), I'm pretty sure the only limitation on Blackmore is whether he could think of it or not.  "Fly To The Rainbow" is beautiful and all, but there's work on each of the BN records that approaches that.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
I think Knopfler is more awesome than all of them ;)

But I selected Gilmour and May.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
Page and Gilmour

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
Lifeson's style of guitar playing is a bit derivative of Page and he got 10 votes more than Page? Once in the interview Alex openly admitted that he has always wanted to be like Page. I've heard Page in many of his guitar works.
Fanboyism of Lifeson voters is obvious here, LOL.

I love Lifeson and he is probably in my top 10 favorite guitarists, but no way I would ever put him ahead of Page. I find it unfair.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 07:16:58 AM »
Eddie Van Halen

and then maybe Jimmy Page
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:20 AM »
Lifeson's style of guitar playing is a bit derivative of Page and he got 10 votes more than Page? Once in the interview Alex openly admitted that he has always wanted to be like Page. I've heard Page in many of his guitar works.

I love Lifeson and he is probably in my top 10 favorite guitarists, but no way I would ever put him ahead of Page. I find it unfair.

I've always found both of them very important to their respective bands and creative at their instruments, but overrated as guitarists.
any rock can be made to roll

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:17 AM »

So a guitarist can look up to another guitarist and never surpass him?  I would point out Tom Brady idolized Joe Montana yet Brady surpassed him.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
I think what tends to muddy the waters when it comes to guys like Gary Moore and Michael Schenker is the career arc of these 2 guitarists.  While at their peak, they bounced around from one band or another, which makes their music a bit harder to pin down (at least for me). 

On the other hand, each guitarist listed in this poll can basically be identified with a single iconic classic rock band. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
I think what tends to muddy the waters when it comes to guys like Gary Moore and Michael Schenker is the career arc of these 2 guitarists.  While at their peak, they bounced around from one band or another, which makes their music a bit harder to pin down (at least for me). 

On the other hand, each guitarist listed in this poll can basically be identified with a single iconic classic rock band.

Definitely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:41 AM »
Lifeson and EVH.  If I could pick 3, Gilmour would be on here. Oh, and Tom Scholz.
Steve Howe should be on the list!  Even Trevor Rabin, though he wasn't known til the early eighties. I think it's safe to say early eighties can qualify for classic rock now.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
I'm as big a Boston fan as there is - I even like the later shit - but I don't see Tom Scholz being in the same league as Ritchie Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen.   If you're going to include Scholz, then you might as well put Rick Nielson in there, as well as Elliot Easton, Brad Gillis, and Tommy Shaw.   

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
None vGoing with Michael Schenker and Gary Moore.

NAILED IT  :hefdaddy Absolutely agreed  :metal

But for the sake of this poll: Blackmore/ Iommi

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
I'm as big a Boston fan as there is - I even like the later shit - but I don't see Tom Scholz being in the same league as Ritchie Blackmore and Eddie Van Halen.   If you're going to include Scholz, then you might as well put Rick Nielson in there, as well as Elliot Easton, Brad Gillis, and Tommy Shaw.

I see Scholz as more of an innovator and songwriter than a great guitarist (which isn't to say I think he's a bad guitarist, but I agree he's not in the same league as the players in this poll).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 01:52:51 PM »

So a guitarist can look up to another guitarist and never surpass him?  I would point out Tom Brady idolized Joe Montana yet Brady surpassed him.

This - as far as the general notion that you can't look up to someone and then surpass them goes.  Whether Alex surpassed Jimmy Page or not is a matter of debate and I won't even try.  I will say that this poll is about favorites, or at least that's how it's worded, and Alex is my favorite of those listed.  Maybe he isn't technically as good as EVH or whoever, but I don't care.  Music for me is how I feel when I listen to it, and Alex Lifeson makes me feel much more than the others on this poll.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:49:01 PM by Lethean »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
Agreed, I like Alex's creativity and sense of Melody. He can also shred when he wants to ala' Freewill, La Villa, Cut To The Chase, Working Man etc..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lethean

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Yes indeed. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
Lifeson certainly tugs at my emotional core more than Jimmy Page ever has, and Lifeson's never been accused of plagiarism as far as I know, so that's two points in his favor for me  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
Lifeson certainly tugs at my emotional core more than Jimmy Page ever has, and Lifeson's never been accused of plagiarism as far as I know, so that's two points in his favor for me  :hat

Before you spend both of those points, listen to Journey's "Nickel and Dime". Just sayin'.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
Ill take the end solo for Mission, Emotion Detector & Ghost Of A Chance over most.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »
While we're on the subject of Alex's solos, the one's in Marathon, and Analog Kid are awesome too!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
It usually gets overlooked amongst his many great solos, but Alex's solo at the end of Presentation in 2112 has always been one of my favorites.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 08:31:23 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:42 AM »
What a surprise (not!) that Alex Lifeson is leading, and that on a prog forum!

My votes went to Brian May and David Gilmour
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mladen

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 04:31:31 AM »
Page and Lifeson.

Iommi, Gilmour and May are also fantastic, though.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »
Ritchie Blackmore is my favourite guitarist.

Choosing one more is quite difficult. I like Page, Iommi, May and Gilmour for different reasons...

Oh well, Gilmour it is then.

Offline max_security

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2018, 06:16:51 AM »
I like all of those players for different reasons . No other specifics were mentioned for the purpose of the poll so I went with " The most innovative and influential " . I chose Page and Blackmore. If none of the other guys ever existed I believe that the world of guitar may not be in a much different place today. Honorable mention along those lines is Robin Trower.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »
If Van Halen hadn't played guitar the world of rock guitar would be vastly different.

Of course that doesn't mean that the others weren't influential also.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D