Author Topic: Concerts/Tours that should have had official live album releases!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline The Letter M

So I'm sitting here at work and while trying to figure out what to put on my WMP for the day, I open my playlist of the Dream Theater NYC 3/4/93 official bootleg, and it got me thinking about how in an alternate reality, if DT were bigger, their first live album should have been this show. It's a monster set list of songs from their first two albums (with all of IAW peppered throughout), featuring one of the first four performances of "A Change Of Seasons", as well as a performance of "Eve"! It would rank up there with classic prog live albums like Yessongs, Seconds Out, and Exit...Stage Left for me. I mean, it still kind of does, but can you imagine if DT themselves had officially released this show after the IAW Tour?

And thinking about my other favorite band, Rush, I went through a whole process of crafting a whole series of complete live shows from all of their tours, creating a CD binder with all of them, and of all the tours they had, the Hemispheres Tour deserved an officially released, complete live show. The set list on that tour is insane, with full performances of "Hemispheres" and a good chunk of "2112", as well as many more tunes from their then most recent albums. I'm hoping that if they continue the trend of offering deluxe 40th Anniversary editions of their albums that we get a Hemispheres show in that set, because I love the AFTK show we got, FINALLY in full.

So what other bands' tours or shows do you wish had official releases? They can be from more recent bands and tours, or even things from the past, like a complete live "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" from Genesis that wasn't riddled with modern overdubs, or a whole "Tales From Topographic Oceans" show from Yes? Even if things like these exist in the bootleg world, official or otherwise, you can still list them if you WISH they had been official, because at least then there'd be better mixing and mastering, and the package would be nice (presumably).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Concerts/Tours that should have had official live album releases!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 01:11:04 PM »
Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life and Death Tour immediately comes to mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:14:02 PM »
First thing that came to mine.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »
Van Halen 1984 Tour
Def Leppard Pyromania Tour
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Pyromania-Deluxe-Def-Leppard/dp/B0027WNRIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1519159022&sr=1-1&keywords=def+leppard+pyromania+deluxe+edition

"The smashes Photograph; Rock of Ages , and Foolin' join the rest of the 1983 Mutt Lange production and an unissued 15-song show at the LA Forum that year!"

I have this J Dude. It's excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »
Page/Plant UnLedded tour.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »
First thing that came to mine.

Thankfully the tour was bootlegged the hell out of.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Yes Masterworks tour is the first to pop into my head.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:42 PM »
Rush - Presto Tour 1990
Boston - Walk-On/Greatest Hits Tour 1997
Yes - Talk Tour 1994
 And of course,  Dream Theater - The Astonishing tour
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:59:18 PM »
Yes Masterworks tour is the first to pop into my head.

That's a pretty intense set list, a lot of fan-fave epics. You'd think with a title like "Masterworks Tour", they would've capitalized on that and recorded a show for sale later on.

Rush - Presto Tour 1990
Thank goodness we've got the Hartford soundboard (despite a small bit of "Force Ten" missing at the beginning of the show), but I agree, that's a good tour!

Yes - Talk Tour 1994
For fans of Rabin-Era Yes, this is a treasure trove of those songs, and some of the best material from Talk played live! Looking at the set list, it's a great retrospective on the band's prior four albums as a whole, so it'd be neat to get a complete show from that tour, with alternate set tracks as bonus tracks!

I have been curious about this. I haven't kept up with DT news much lately, outside of knowing they plan to go into the studio later this year, but you'd think with a big concept album like The Astonishing, and for touring on it as much as they did, they would've opted to release a live album! Maybe the less-than-stellar reception to the album and tour had made them think it wouldn't be worth the work to put out a live album.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 03:32:24 PM »
Well said about the Yes Talk Tour Marc! That was my favorite Yes concert ever that year at The Gorge amphitheatre in Washington state.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »

I have been curious about this. I haven't kept up with DT news much lately, outside of knowing they plan to go into the studio later this year, but you'd think with a big concept album like The Astonishing, and for touring on it as much as they did, they would've opted to release a live album! Maybe the less-than-stellar reception to the album and tour had made them think it wouldn't be worth the work to put out a live album.

-Marc.

Basically:  They planned to film it on the second N. Am. leg.  That leg was supposed to have been booked PRIMARILY to serve areas where they had not toured on the first leg.  Instead, somebody dropped the ball and booked it incorrectly so that they repeated in a bunch of markets they had already played, which led to lower attendance and lower interest the second time around (as well as a much LONGER tour than the band intended for that leg).  JP was not happy.  Then there was a BIG demand for an I&W anniversary tour, so they booked an extensive tour to promote that.  They had selected a city to revisit The Astonishing for a filming later on.  But given that they already make very little on their live releases, given the time and expense of dusting it off to do that one-off show, and given that the market got over-saturated on an album that was already fairly divisive, they felt like it wasn't worth it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
Sad that's the way things turned out, but I don't blame them for that choice.  Just sucks for the people like us who really would have enjoyed watching that show on blu-ray and the people who couldn't make it to a show.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »

Along with the Somewhere In Time tour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »
Queensryche - Promised Land tour
Radiohead - In Rainbows tour

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »

-Marc.

Basically:  They planned to film it on the second N. Am. leg.  That leg was supposed to have been booked PRIMARILY to serve areas where they had not toured on the first leg.  Instead, somebody dropped the ball and booked it incorrectly so that they repeated in a bunch of markets they had already played, which led to lower attendance and lower interest the second time around (as well as a much LONGER tour than the band intended for that leg).  JP was not happy.  Then there was a BIG demand for an I&W anniversary tour, so they booked an extensive tour to promote that.  They had selected a city to revisit The Astonishing for a filming later on.  But given that they already make very little on their live releases, given the time and expense of dusting it off to do that one-off show, and given that the market got over-saturated on an album that was already fairly divisive, they felt like it wasn't worth it.

That could a reason why they decided to go to Inside Out.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Queensryche - Promised Land tour

YES!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:50:03 PM »
Mayhem and Ozzfest could've used some good dvds for some of their shows they had.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Pyromania-Deluxe-Def-Leppard/dp/B0027WNRIG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1519159022&sr=1-1&keywords=def+leppard+pyromania+deluxe+edition

"The smashes Photograph; Rock of Ages , and Foolin' join the rest of the 1983 Mutt Lange production and an unissued 15-song show at the LA Forum that year!"

Oh wow!! Thanks!!   One more thing for me to put in the "queue"
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:15 AM »

-Marc.

That sucks. We got "robbed" of a live release because of situations external to the band and their creative vision.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:52:35 AM »
Every Toto tour with Jeff Porcaro still on drums.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 02:31:15 AM »
Roger Waters. Almost any of his tours that didn't have a proper live release really should have done. Even the KAOS on the Road tour.

Scratch that - Any of those classic Floyd tours should have been captured for posterity.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:39:06 AM »

Along with the Somewhere In Time tour.

Yes!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 04:30:39 AM »
Judas Priest's Painkiller tour.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 04:44:09 AM »
Hand Cannot Erase desperately needed a live dvd

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 06:23:30 AM »

Yup. Came here to post just that. Super disappointing that he meant to document it but never got around it in time.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:51 AM »

Band?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 06:52:53 AM »

Band?

Don't worry, you'd hate it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 07:45:29 AM »

As do I, and I agree.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 07:59:55 AM »
Page/Plant UnLedded tour.

There is a DVD of songs from that first go-round.  It's not really a complete live show.  Unless you're talking about the bigger tour they did in support of "Walking Into Clarksdale", in which case, I'm right there with you. 

For me, I have some weird ones:
- A Slaves and Masters show (JLT singing Purple)
- A complete show from the '78-'81 era of Genesis, not the "live compilations" that are Seconds Out  or 3SL.
- A full show from the Yes 90120 tour, preferably on video, with the lasers during "Hearts" (that they dropped after the first leg).
- A U2 Joshua Tree show (firt time, not the reboot from last year)
- A Whitesake "Slide It In" tour show
- Any Sabbath show after Sabbath Bloody Sabbath but before Ozzy quit/fired/fucked off.
- A Marillion show from the Season's End tour
- Anything from Ozzy with Randy Rhoads (though I'd take a Brad Gillis regular gig as well). 
- Any of the five or so shows that Maiden did at the Rainbow in London with Bruce before Number came out
- One of the Temple Of The Dog shows from a year or so ago.

SPECIFIC shows I'd like:
- The Kiss show with no Paul (just a trio with Gene singing everything)
- The Marillion show at Toad's on the Holidays tour when Hogarth sang Freaks as an impromptu encore
- The Crimson show from New Haven in '93 when Belew did "Free As A Bird" by the Beatles as his solo spot before it was officially released
- The Page/Plant show at the Brendan Byrne arena - still the single greatest moment I've ever experienced at a show

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »

Oh, wow.  Hadn't thought of that, but if they ever managed to dig up some old footage and release something, I'd buy it in a second.  I saw them on that tour.  They headlined a festival show in a stadium near me back in the day, and it was a MASSIVE show.  Lots of special shenanigans.  I wonder if it was any indication of what the rest of the tour was like. 

Did they headline outside the U.S.?  I saw them on that tour, but they were in an opening slot (or, more accurately, the second of a three band bill in between Kick Axe and Quiet Riot).  I wish I could tell you what songs they played, but I didn't know the music very well at that time, so it didn't stick.  I do remember the title song and Love Ain't No Stranger (Coverdale talked about their "new" video on MTV as he was introducing it).  And I remember that Sykes was incredible.  And I remember that they put on a REALLY good show overall. 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:31 AM »
Pink Floyd - The Wall

Kate Bush - Before the Dawn  (video, not just audio)

Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Also any tour that City Boy did....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »

Oh, wow.  Hadn't thought of that, but if they ever managed to dig up some old footage and release something, I'd buy it in a second.  I saw them on that tour.  They headlined a festival show in a stadium near me back in the day, and it was a MASSIVE show.  Lots of special shenanigans.  I wonder if it was any indication of what the rest of the tour was like.

I saw an early tour show - in Hartford, at our Civic Center - and it was an amazing show.  I don't know how it would have translated to a stadium, but it was a really good blend of "arena rock" and "intimate experience".   It was LOUD AND CLEAR that these guys were the real deal.   Bono's voice was as crystal clear as a bell, and it was just a well-played, well-produced show.   And I must say, as someone who went not as a fan (and sort of mocked Bono's stridency at times), I came out a fan and his... earnestness really translates live.  I've seen them something like 7 or 8 times since, and what sounds pedantic or preachy in print or on film has an energy and passion live that really resonates.   

I was third row, and he was probably 15 feet from me when holding the arc light and yelling "outside is America... outside is HARTFORD CONNECTICUT!" and getting chills.   (Like I said, seems cheesy in print, but live it was anything but). 

Did they headline outside the U.S.?  I saw them on that tour, but they were in an opening slot (or, more accurately, the second of a three band bill in between Kick Axe and Quiet Riot).  I wish I could tell you what songs they played, but I didn't know the music very well at that time, so it didn't stick.  I do remember the title song and Love Ain't No Stranger (Coverdale talked about their "new" video on MTV as he was introducing it).  And I remember that Sykes was incredible.  And I remember that they put on a REALLY good show overall.

I honestly don't know; that's about the time I was seeing a lot of shows and would have gone to see them, but I can't really recall them coming to the East Coast in any real way.   Though I don't know that I would  have gone to see a Quiet Riot headline show.  :)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »

I was unaware of this, listening now.  It's significantly improving my morning.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:38 AM »

- A Marillion show from the Season's End tour

This actually exists, it's called From Stoke Row to Ipanema. Not sure if it's available anymore, and I haven't watched the DVD for probably 15 years now, but I do believe there was an entire concert.

https://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/stokerow.htm