Author Topic: Converge's Jane Doe - metalcore album that is rated high?  (Read 1089 times)

Offline WildRanger

Converge's Jane Doe - metalcore album that is rated high?
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
Jane Doe is ranked the 28th best metal album of all time on RateYourMusic. That album is also very critically acclaimed.
Most metalcore stuff is widely considered crap,  but this album is something different.
Do you dig this album, do you find any music qualities about this album and what is so good and special about Jane Doe? Why is it much better than most metalcore?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Converge's Jane Doe - metalcore album that is rated high?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
Most metalcore stuff is widely considered crap

wow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
wow.
That's true :P

Converge never cared about following any conventions so their music is aggressive, cathartic, complex, a bit chaotic but never too much, and very dynamic. That album is said to be about the slow disintegration of a relationship, and their lyrics, although unintelligible most of the time, are deep and well written. It's a personal album that never tries to appeal to any 'scene' like a lot of metalcore does and thus does not end
up being derivative crap for posers.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
all converge sounds like mindless noise to me because i don't have a need for angry music and thus don't understand any of it but it's probably brilliant, i dunno

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
I don't think "metalcore" really is a good tag for Converge or Jane Doe because metalcore and its reputation is more in line with bands like Killswitch Engage or old Trivium where it's harsh verses and a clean poppy chorus. Converge is more of a chaotic inferno all the way through.

And as far as Jane Doe goes I think #28 is low. It's easily one of the best metal albums ever.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
wow.

regardless of my personal opinion on metalcore (not a fan per se) a statement like 'widely considered crap' is completely pointless and untrue. If it were true, there would be no market for it whatsoever, which there clearly is for there are lots of 'metalcore' bands out there.

On Jane Doe: I think it's a brilliant record that I can't listen to too often, because I have to be in a certain mood for that sort of aggressive stuff. It's definitely among the heaviest, most demanding albums I have ever heard.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »
wow.

regardless of my personal opinion on metalcore (not a fan per se) a statement like 'widely considered crap' is completely pointless and untrue. If it were true, there would be no market for it whatsoever, which there clearly is for there are lots of 'metalcore' bands out there.
Yet there is a huge market for adult contemporary, new age, trap, Phil Collins, country, movies with minions or emojis, etc. I'm just reflecting on an opinion I see pretty much everywhere, a lot of metalcore ends up falling into what Zantera pointed out and doesn't have a good reputation outside the scene and people in it :P

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
I don't think "metalcore" really is a good tag for Converge or Jane Doe because metalcore and its reputation is more in line with bands like Killswitch Engage or old Trivium where it's harsh verses and a clean poppy chorus. Converge is more of a chaotic inferno all the way through.

KwE and these kind of other bands get sometimes labeled melodic metalcore because they don't represent all of the genre. This song is clearly metalcore as well despite not having that structure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkqJEYXCQg
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.