Author Topic: DTF, whether it's big or small, what are you happy about?  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

DTF, whether it's big or small, what are you happy about?
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:40:53 AM »
I'll start. For me, it's this girl. I'll call her L. I finally kissed her for the first time in almost 3 years on Valentine's day.

Backstory: I met her Sophomore year of high school. We became friends and I developed a terrible case of young love. I told her how I felt, and we dated for a few months at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016. She was the first girl I ever held hands with, ever kissed, all that sappy nonsense. We were best friends too, without a doubt. Unfortunately, some (pretty stupid) things got between us. Some stupid misunderstandings that we were bad at communicating to each other, and she was bad at opening up because of some shitty past experiences. It's a long story, but around March of 2016 I started dating another girl, who I'll call C, though L and I stayed pretty good friends.

That was bad news bears. It was fun for a while, but she was what I like to call "a piece of garbage". The relationship was awful. She was emotionally abusive, manipulative, and a cheater. That relationship lasted over two years. Way too long, for a lot of reasons. It sucked, a lot. But in early December of last year I finally got out of it.

L and I started talking to each other more and more again and I could tell there was something there still, so I asked her out on Valentine's day and we called it our "first date". But let me tell you, that girl is like Fort-fucking-Knox. She hadn't so much as kissed someone in the last 2.5 years. Hadn't been on a date. She's impossible to get close to for everyone except me apparently. I don't necessarily understand, but I'm certainly not complaining. Anyway, I took her to the restaurant where we were the first time I ever texted her, before we went to see a movie at the first theater we ever went to together.

On our first Valentine's day, my Grandma made us candlelight dinner and my Grandpa had taken a little home video. I dug through all his old SD cards, found the videos of our first Valentine's day, and put them on a flash drive for her. She also loves journaling, so I got her a handmade leather journal with our initials engraved on the front for us to put our bucket list items/things we want to do together in. I gave them to her to open before we went in to the movie. I don't think I've ever seen her smile as wide as she did when she opened them. I pulled my laptop out from under my seat, and put the flash drive in so we could watch the video (which she didn't even know existed). That was a little emotional, as my Grandma died just two days before Christmas last December, but I held it together. And then I finally fucking kissed her again after almost 3 fucking years. Jesus Christ DTF. I'm so fucking happy.

Also she's never seen Star Wars, so I'll get to see an honest reaction of her finding out that Vader is Luke's father. Which is a life experience that not many people get to have. And she likes Octavarium.

So what are you happy about? Did you just have your first child? Find out how good honey mustard Pringles are for the first time? Whatever it is, I want to know about it.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: DTF, whether it's big or small, what are you happy about?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
Pretty girl. Take care of her. In my experience the best relationships start with friendship.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
That's rad. Congratulations. Love is a funny thing.

I paid off two loans last year that had me so financially crippled there were entire weeks I had to get by with less than a dollar in my checking account while still working 15 hours a day. Last month I got a $1.50 raise. Last week I won free tickets to ProgPower. I'm thankful that life seems to be on the upswing for me in 2018 after a year and a half of working my ass off.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
Pretty girl. Take care of her. In my experience the best relationships start with friendship.
I plan to, and I think you're exactly right. It seems to me like there's more of a connection when it started out that way.

That's rad. Congratulations. Love is a funny thing.

I paid off two loans last year that had me so financially crippled there were entire weeks I had to get by with less than a dollar in my checking account while still working 15 hours a day. Last month I got a $1.50 raise. Last week I won free tickets to ProgPower. I'm thankful that life seems to be on the upswing for me in 2018 after a year and a half of working my ass off.
That's great to hear. People overlook how crippling debt can be. I'm sure being free of those payments is life changing. $1.50 is huge, congratulations. And enjoy that concert. I just checked out the lineup and it looks like it'll be a hell of a show. It's always great to know that life is looking up for people out there  :tup :tup

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
I just ate a big bowl of ice cream at my nephew's birthday party. That made me happy. :)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
Thank you Sir Walrus Cauliflower (epic username  :tup) for starting this thread. Threads like this are needed.

Umm...I was really happy to see Britain win 3 Winter Olympic medals today. And the typical British self-deprecating humour came in hilariously when a minor earthquake (only 4.4 on the Richter scale; no major damage at all) struck less than 10 miles from where I live. It's been a strange day. In a good way though.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
I'm happy that this amazing online community still exists. Thank you to Bosk1 and everyone else who may have a hand in it's upkeep.

Online frogprog

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 05:59:12 AM »
I'm happy that after having my ass kicked last year, I beat cancer and I can get back to living my life!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
I'm happy that after having my ass kicked last year, I beat cancer and I can get back to living my life!

I know the feeling!  Congrats!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online frogprog

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
Thank you!

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
Thank you Sir Walrus Cauliflower (epic username  :tup) for starting this thread. Threads like this are needed.

Umm...I was really happy to see Britain win 3 Winter Olympic medals today. And the typical British self-deprecating humour came in hilariously when a minor earthquake (only 4.4 on the Richter scale; no major damage at all) struck less than 10 miles from where I live. It's been a strange day. In a good way though.
Thank you, I came up with it when I was like 11 and I got so used to it that I still use it. I agree, I love hearing about the things that other people are happy about. I love a good bit of British humour as well, which reminds me - I need to re-watch every episode of Top Gear.

I'm happy that this amazing online community still exists. Thank you to Bosk1 and everyone else who may have a hand in it's upkeep.
Agreed. This community is just a different atmosphere than almost everywhere else. A lot more welcoming imo. I don't make too many posts anymore but I always browse just to see what's up.

That's amazing to hear. I can't imagine how exciting that must be.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »
Great to hear so many good stories... especially frogprog with beating cancer. You are a mighty warrior.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »

Now that's just awesome!!! congratulations!!!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online frogprog

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »
Thank you all. Of course I did have help. My lovely wife and daughter, without whom I would have been beaten, and plenty of doctors and nurses as well as prayers and well wishes from many. In my case it wasn't the disease, but the cure that really put the smack down on me but SO many have it it much worse.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 05:44:34 PM »
I'm happy for that support system.  I know first hand because it got me through Lymphoma 17 years ago.

It's the best medicine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline dparrott

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 05:54:08 PM »
I can't compete with any of that....

Winter is almost over, baseball season has started.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
I can't compete with any of that....

Winter is almost over, baseball season has started.

Don't gotta compete, although my story kind of pales in comparison too  :lol

I'm pretty happy that NASCAR has started again. And the real season starts next week too.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
A bit of levity: I'm happy that I forced myself to get up early enough to make steak and eggs before work. Mondays ain't always terrible.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 08:44:59 AM »
^I did the same thing; no work today, so my stepson and I made French Toast.    "Okay, MJ, go slow with the vanilla, it pours quick... go slow..."   Oh, note to self, we need more vanilla.  :)

Congrats to the survivors.  My dad is, too.   

Happy for...  French toast, my dad, and my wife and kids.   There's not a billionaire, movie star, or rock star that I'd trade with if it meant leaving behind my wife and kids. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »

Awesome!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 08:50:46 AM »
^I did the same thing; no work today, so my stepson and I made French Toast.    "Okay, MJ, go slow with the vanilla, it pours quick... go slow..."   Oh, note to self, we need more vanilla.  :)

My initials are MJ. I keep joking that you're my dad, but it gets more accurate every day.  :rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »

My initials are MJ. I keep joking that you're my dad, but it gets more accurate every day.  :rollin

And you're grounded for spilling vanilla extract all over the counter!   :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Happy to be enjoying a day off, got a cold glass of iced tea next to me, and slowly burning through a Battlestar marathon before heading to a meeting tonight. Life is good man.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 04:29:13 PM »
I just paid off my student loans.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:51 PM »

Ohh do mine next!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:25 PM »

That definitely deserves a  :tup

I had mine for 20 years, if I hadn't inherited my mom's money when she died, I'd still be paying it!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:39:36 AM »
Sappy, cute and great. Good feels, good vibes, good thread.

My tech, PCs and general freedom is really making me happy these days. I love tinkering with my hardware (lolz) and of course playing games and loving just having the freedom to do just that. Recently with the death of a...not friend, but I knew him, though either way it put into perspective the happiness of health. Really happy that I don't have any major ailments or health concerns at the moment (and hopefully won't for a long while).

On the OP topic, I'm loving the single life, but am loving the very chill and relaxed physical fun I'm having with a friend. There's not many things as great as getting your rocks off in every imaginable way as well as just enjoying the company of someone relaxing to be around (especially for an anti-social introvert like myself), then being able to say "see ya next time" with no relationship qualms or drama and have my own chill time with what is now basically the room of my dreams: a tech paradise with no one to tell me how unhealthy it is to have four high-end PCs in a single room and hundreds of games and moves and shows and software to rule my life in bliss.  :lol

I can't stress the health part of that enough though. It's both very scary and eye opening to think that all of the above would be rendered moot and useless if you don't have your health. Truly, you've got nothing without it. An obvious statement that is far too often overlooked or taken for granted.  :tup

Did the 'ole "read the OP, post, then read the other posts". Awesome to hear you kicked it's ass instead. Again, eye opening and perspective shifting. :metal

Another post-post modify: While I'm not nearly as active as I used to be, I would be immensely disheartened if I logged onto DTF one day and found it to be gone. So I'll second the happiness of being able to post this to you fine ass mofos and browse the blissful digital domain that is the one space in the net that I consider a true haven.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:47:15 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:00 AM »
Happy to be enjoying a day off, got a cold glass of iced tea next to me, and slowly burning through a Battlestar marathon before heading to a meeting tonight. Life is good man.
It's the little things. I've been trying to slow down and appreciate the small moments lately. Something about sitting in my chair after a long shift, browsing DTF and sipping some honey bourbon reminds me to slow down and recognize the subtle things I tend to overlook.

That's quite a milestone. Congrats  :tup

My tech, PCs and general freedom is really making me happy these days. I love tinkering with my hardware (lolz) and of course playing games and loving just having the freedom to do just that. Recently with the death of a...not friend, but I knew him, though either way it put into perspective the happiness of health. Really happy that I don't have any major ailments or health concerns at the moment (and hopefully won't for a long while).

On the OP topic, I'm loving the single life, but am loving the very chill and relaxed physical fun I'm having with a friend. There's not many things as great as getting your rocks off in every imaginable way as well as just enjoying the company of someone relaxing to be around (especially for an anti-social introvert like myself), then being able to say "see ya next time" with no relationship qualms or drama and have my own chill time with what is now basically the room of my dreams: a tech paradise with no one to tell me how unhealthy it is to have four high-end PCs in a single room and hundreds of games and moves and shows and software to rule my life in bliss.  :lol

I can't stress the health part of that enough though. It's both very scary and eye opening to think that all of the above would be rendered moot and useless if you don't have your health. Truly, you've got nothing without it. An obvious statement that is far too often overlooked or taken for granted.  :tup
What you got in your rigs? I've got a gaming PC that I built in 2013(ish). Still running 8 gigs of DDR3 and a 3570k, though I recently swapped in a 1060 and some SSDs and it's like a whole new machine. That's another thing that makes me happy. The snappiness of SSDs. I've always dreamed of having my gaming/audiophile/hometheater setup when I eventually get to that point in life.

I'd jump on an FWB situation in a heartbeat if I was still single. Enjoy that shit dude, sounds like you're livin' the dream.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
Nice! That's pretty much what I was using for a while before I got into building my own. And yes, even with all the great advancements in GPU tech, monitor refresh rates and the like, SSD's and simply being able to get into your OS and fully up and running in a matter of seconds is just so damn nice.

I've got three main rigs in my room that are permanent and one that is in an SFF chassis so I can take it places. All but one have a 1070 from different aftermarket manufacturers (my favorite is the tri-fan ASUS Strix), and in my most-used rig I have a Zotac 1080 Mini (I'm an ITX addict, all my rigs are ITX except one, which was my first build). One rig has an i5 6600k (OC'd to a modest 4.5 Ghz), another has an i7 7700k (OC'd to 4.8 Ghz), and my most-used rig went a different direction and supported AMD's comeback with a Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9 Ghz (really sad I couldn't hit that stable 4.0 Ghz). The portable one has an i7 7700 and a 1070 Turbo (which really surprised me in performance after what I'd heard). Also have 16 GB of ram in all the rigs at 3000 Mhz.

I've been thinking about getting into custom liquid cooling loops but man...the paranoia of ruining one of my rigs is real.  :lol Also was just about to upgrade to a 1080ti when GPU prices hiked up by hundreds in what seemed like a week. So that's put off for a while, and by the time prices equalize I'm sure nvidia will have a new architecture line.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »
I am happy about having a fantastic day today at the Skate park. I feel like I made some improvements and it was awesome

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »

Congrats, that's amazing  :metal

Cheers  :tup

Hell yea, that's a huge weight off your back

For me, big item to be happy about: Been planning a vacation with the GF and we finally booked a 8 day trip to Florida including hitting up Disney as well as Miami and the keys and somehow renting a Mustang for this trip was cheaper than a compact car  :lol

The small item to be happy about today:  It feels like a Monday but it's already the end of a Tuesday at work!

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
Nice! That's pretty much what I was using for a while before I got into building my own. And yes, even with all the great advancements in GPU tech, monitor refresh rates and the like, SSD's and simply being able to get into your OS and fully up and running in a matter of seconds is just so damn nice.

I've got three main rigs in my room that are permanent and one that is in an SFF chassis so I can take it places. All but one have a 1070 from different aftermarket manufacturers (my favorite is the tri-fan ASUS Strix), and in my most-used rig I have a Zotac 1080 Mini (I'm an ITX addict, all my rigs are ITX except one, which was my first build). One rig has an i5 6600k (OC'd to a modest 4.5 Ghz), another has an i7 7700k (OC'd to 4.8 Ghz), and my most-used rig went a different direction and supported AMD's comeback with a Ryzen 7 1700 OC'd to 3.9 Ghz (really sad I couldn't hit that stable 4.0 Ghz). The portable one has an i7 7700 and a 1070 Turbo (which really surprised me in performance after what I'd heard). Also have 16 GB of ram in all the rigs at 3000 Mhz.

I've been thinking about getting into custom liquid cooling loops but man...the paranoia of ruining one of my rigs is real.  :lol Also was just about to upgrade to a 1080ti when GPU prices hiked up by hundreds in what seemed like a week. So that's put off for a while, and by the time prices equalize I'm sure nvidia will have a new architecture line.
That's a sick rig... errrr, rigs. One of these I'll upgrade mine. Watercooling is sweet but I'm with you, the paranoia and the effort isn't worth it to me. I've never been one to milk every last frame, I like to find the limit and then dial it back a little just for good measure.

I am happy about having a fantastic day today at the Skate park. I feel like I made some improvements and it was awesome
*snipparino*
Nice dude. I wish I could skate. Only way I can ride a skateboard is sitting down.

Currently I'm kinda drunk. I'm happy this forum exists. Plus I hung out with L again today and there's just something about forehead kisses. She really helps me get through some shit ya'll

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

Scratch that. Apparently I didn't take this months interest into account so I owe them £0.04 still. :lol
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 10:32:13 AM »

Scratch that. Apparently I didn't take this months interest into account so I owe them £0.04 still. :lol

Can you handle it? :lol