Author Topic: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. WE HAVE A WINNER!  (Read 33286 times)

Offline LordCost

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 3 HANGMAN!!!
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
Cave In - In the Stream of Commerce (LordCost)

Annd can I get an A(men) around here?
Have you used google for song name?  :|

Offline LordCost

« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »
If Big Big Train is correct I could have guessed it with 0 letters, but I have never heard anyone talk about them in DTF

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2018, 12:07:54 PM »
I have used spotify to find the band name, but found out the song title with logic
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2018, 12:08:46 PM »
If Big Big Train is correct I could have guessed it with 0 letters, but I have never heard anyone talk about them in DTF
i have both english electric albums & i know there's a thread for the band here as well but  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
_ar_a___ - E_e__a__s
Train of Naught: Hypno5e - Story of the Eye
LordCost: Cave In - In the Stream of Commerce
home: Sorority Noise - A Portrait Of
soupytwist: Big Big Train - _o___ore
Elite: Perhelion Ship - The Emperor Idea
S___d_e - __e S_e__ra_ __rro_s

ARME5ODS
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
I guess puppies sent the first artist on the list, then  :corn

Offline LordCost

« Reply #216 on: March 17, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »
Folklore is BBT song

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #217 on: March 17, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
I guess puppies sent the first artist on the list, then  :corn
I don't even remember what I sent.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 3 UPDATE 1
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
I'm just going to post some results but there might be chanes in rankings because all songs are almost equally good and I'm not 100% sure who's out yet. I'm gonna start with ones that made it to the next round:

There's a band I expected to get sooner or later. I didn't really know what they sounded like but if I had to guess I would have said they sound exactly as they do :lol opening riff is really dirty, it makes me do this JP face :P riffing is also my favorite thing about this song, pretty heavy stuff, I know I will enjoy this. Vocals, however, sound laughably weird on moments (Duffy Duck, right :lol ) but I don't think they are bad, just make me take the band less seriously. There are also quiet sections that work really well, 10 minutes of this kind of heaviness would be tiring, I guess.
This is, of course, Story of the Eye by Hypno5e, sent by Train of Naught. Real solid stuff, looking forward to checking them further.

The next song that made it though is again by the band I heard a lot about here but I don't think I ever listened to them even though I planned to. And I'm glad you sent it and made sure I will check them out soon. They really sound like the modern version of the 70s prog rock (probably more than any other band I heard). I like it how song throughout repeats the theme but builds more and more and gets more complex as it progresses. You probably figured I like wide spectrum of music but there is something special about this uplifting prog rock I rarely hear in modern bands (as much as I love melancholic music).
Soupytwist, you're in next round with Folklore by Big Big Train :tup this is probably my favorite song of the round at the moment.

1. soupytwist: Big Big Train - Folklore
2. Train of Naught: Hypno5e - Story of the Eye

Puppies_On_Acid: Warpaint - Elephants
Parama: Slugdge - The Spectral Burrows

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #219 on: March 18, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
I'm just glad that I didn't get humiliated by getting eliminated with Hypno5e. Don't worry, I think this is the only song with Daffy Duck vocals (or maybe also one on the debut, can't remember). If you're into the quiet parts, they're releasing a fully acoustic album soon (next month-ish?) and released 3 songs so far. All good songs, but I don't think they're as good as a fully acoustic band.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »
I'm just glad that I didn't get humiliated by getting eliminated with Hypno5e. Don't worry, I think this is the only song with Daffy Duck vocals (or maybe also one on the debut, can't remember). If you're into the quiet parts, they're releasing a fully acoustic album soon (next month-ish?) and released 3 songs so far. All good songs, but I don't think they're as good as a fully acoustic band.
This gives me an idea. I have a song with Daffy Duck-like vocals that I can send for next round :vomitard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2018, 09:26:44 AM »
Seeing as Hypno5e isn't banned in your roulette, you could also change the next open round to Disney round and I can send Story of the Eye there :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2018, 09:28:40 AM »
Seeing as Hypno5e isn't banned in your roulette, you could also change the next open round to Disney round and I can send Story of the Eye there :corn
:metardica:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »
what the duck are Daffy Duck vocals?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLd3H0CqJMQ#t=4m12s

Wait no I definitely said angry Donald Duck in the PM, daffy sounds very different

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLd3H0CqJMQ#t=4m12s

Wait no I definitely said angry Donald Duck in the PM, daffy sounds very different
:rollin I actually meant to say Donald Duck as well....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2018, 10:06:39 AM »
Yeah, my fault

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 3 UPDATE 2
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
Next saved is the song I didn't expect to like as much as I did. Because I checked what genre it is and it said technical death metal. It is the genre I used to like but now can't listen without getting a headache. This is indeed technical (or progressive) and has growls but it's not what I expected at all. Actually, my only complaint are harsh vocals but most of the song is either cleans or instrumental. What I absolutely love are riffs and that (almost) uplifting chorus, didn't think I hear something like in supposedly technical death metal. Everything about this sounds so rich and heavy, I like it a lot.
It's Slugdge - The Spectral Burrows sent by Parama. Get ready for round 4 :metal

The more and more I listen to this the more and more I think I heard it before. And I never listened to this band :huh: it causes a strong sense of deja vu, nevertheless. And also, I like it more and more. It contains healthy amount of weird, mostly in vocals (there is some effect) and guitars sound kinda off on purpose :P I can't say what genre this is but it sounds heavy for what it is (similar to Red House Painters from my first roulette), almost wild. Whatever it is, I think I might like this band, can't wait to check the further.
It's Elephants by Warpaint. Puppies, you're in for the next round :tup

2. Parama: Slugdge - The Spectral Burrows
3. Train of Naught: Hypno5e - Story of the Eye
4. Puppies_On_Acid: Warpaint - Elephants

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
sent some killer  :metal
i might be sending this next one too early since it's a round-winner and the crowd's not thinning enough quite yet  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:17 AM »
Perihelion Ship is a band that I was super surprised I never received in my roulette, it was being talked about a lot on reddit and seemed like something I would love. Checking it out now and also another song a few weeks ago, seriously, why?? :lol I'm pretty sure that's the round winner.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2018, 04:34:14 AM »
Because I only discovered Perihelion Ship a couple of months ago, so I never had the chance to send it in a roulette of yours. I would be surprised if Tomi doesn't like it. The whole album is straight-up Ghost Reveries worship. Their second album, released last year, is very good as well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2018, 04:42:02 AM »
Kick me daddy
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 3 RESULTS!!!
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:53 PM »
I heard something from this band before and I didn't like it at all, it sounded too happy for the genre :P This one is the different story though. It's pretty catchy and melodies even sound kinda uplifting but lyrics are not uplifting at all. I found indie emo rock to have this kinda neutral feel to them, like "I don't care for anything" and that actually works for song that's meant to be hopelessly depressing. This was also grower so I think I might like this band more than I thought I would. Home, you're in for round 4 with A Portrait Of by Sorority Noise, this was pretty solid song :tup

On the other hand, there's a song by the band I never even heard of so I didn't really know what to expect. The beginning is abrupt and weird, I had to get used to this pitchy voice :lol Fortunately, the rest of the song is much better, coincidentally when he starts singing in his natural range. There are some really nice vocal melodies throughout the song and the chorus is my favorite. This didn't sound like something special but in the end I started to like it a lot so you're saved in the last listen, to be honest :D BTW my lady friend was listening to all the songs with me once and this one's her favorite :tup
LordCost, saved by the bell, you're in for the round 4 with In the Stream of Commerce by Cave In.

I knew what to expect and I got exactly that, nothing less and unfortunately nothing more. It really sounds like something off Ghost Reveries but not one of those songs I absolutely love :lol Growls sounds same as Mikaels, cleans are nowhere near. I didn't expect it though to be honest, Mikael's voice is one of my favorite cleans ever and rarely anything comes close to me. I don't know how to say it, this just doesn't have that X factor, I don't feel it (and I do every other song). Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty good song and would be higher if this round wasn't so even.
Unfortunately, I have to say you're out, Elite, even though your song was more than solid. The Emperor Idea by Perihelion Ship is easily the best of the least favorite songs of the round (and also, better than some others) :'(

2. Parama: Slugdge - The Spectral Burrows
3. Train of Naught: Hypno5e - Story of the Eye
4. Puppies_On_Acid: Warpaint - Elephants
5. home: Sorority Noise - A Portrait Of
6. LordCost: Cave In - In the Stream of Commerce

7. Elite: Perhelion Ship - The Emperor Idea

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
Perihelion Ship is a band that I was super surprised I never received in my roulette, it was being talked about a lot on reddit and seemed like something I would love. Checking it out now and also another song a few weeks ago, seriously, why?? :lol I'm pretty sure that's the round winner.
rip  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »
My song is better though.
BTW I think I like Perihelion Ship more than King Goat but that didn't help :|

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »
Because I only discovered Perihelion Ship a couple of months ago, so I never had the chance to send it in a roulette of yours. I would be surprised if Tomi doesn't like it. The whole album is straight-up Ghost Reveries worship. Their second album, released last year, is very good as well :)

Oh no, this is bullshit. Perihelion Ship was my backup band for your album round in case Agalloch was somehow banned (which it apparently was), but then I sent Semistereo for whatever reason I can't remember.

My song is better though.
BTW I think I like Perihelion Ship more than King Goat but that didn't help :|

That's alright, I'll cry myself to sleep tonight

I'm pretty sure that's the round winner.
rip  :lol

yeah.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2018, 12:42:51 PM »
2 of the biggest WTFs in roulette history within a couple days :O also when everyone thought Ostura's The Room was gonna do great in Kattoelox's roulette. I really thought you'd love Perihelion Ship when I listened to that song. Starting to doubt my R4 entry now :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2018, 12:59:51 PM »
I have no doubt towards my R4 entry because it's more up Tomi's alley than anything I've sent this far  :corn

Offline LordCost

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2018, 01:04:03 PM »
Let your lady friend be the secondary judge :lol
It surprises me to see Big Big Train first, I have to consider also to send prog rock. The song I sent isn't that special but I thought it has good melodies and I wanted to send something not prog. I hoped it had a sound you might like.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
All songs were very very close. If I had to rate them, the best would get 8 and the worst would get 7. You've made it really hard ;D

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Damn.  I really wish this were a point scoring roulette, rather than knockout  ;D

Got a good idea where I'm going with round 4, hopefully get it sorted out when I get home a bit later.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
I abandoned the system from my v1 because difference in points was too small. I might do a different system in my next roulette, if I ever do it but I like this more than ratings so far.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2018, 03:14:01 PM »
Rating systems suck because you have to try and keep them consistent across a roulette and what the hell is really the difference between 7 and 7.5 anyways and why do I care so much I just want to die aauugh  :tup

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Niiice  :metal I think I mainly hoped you liked them based on the fact that they sometimes sound somewhat like Brand New  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2018, 02:03:13 AM »
I abandoned the system from my v1 because difference in points was too small. I might do a different system in my next roulette, if I ever do it but I like this more than ratings so far.

Didn't mean it as a criticism, just having topped two of the rounds so far I'd be sitting pretty in a scoring roulette  ;D