Author Topic: Radiohead's OK Computer - No 1 album of all time on RYM  (Read 6938 times)

Offline WildRanger

Re: Radiohead's OK Computer - No 1 album of all time on RYM
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 03:59:44 PM »
Is RYM really a hipster haven? I just use it to catalog my collection.  :lol

I think there are a lot of hipsters on RYM. Otherwise an album Velvet Underground & Nico would not be ranked as the third greatest album of all time, above any The Beatles or Zep album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
oh yeah RYM is hipster heaven for sure & on top of that the average scores have been declining for quite a while so all newer stuff never gets close to older stuff

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »
People shouldn't pay so much attention to stuff like that... I bet most people would have a coronary looking at some of my ratings. It's all just personal opinion
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
I discovered masterpieces already that both RateYourMusic and AllMusic had rated as shit.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:50 PM »
I have had Ok Computer for years but never listened to it. Maybe I'll finally do that today

Offline jammindude

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 11:27:14 PM »
If we ALL got on RYM and started entering all our favorite albums en masse.....do you think it would do anything??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 11:37:24 PM »

Whoch is exactly what the site is for. To catalog and rate your music collection. Who cares what album comes out at the ‘top’? It’s not an objective ‘best album in the world’, just the album with the highest average score among the users of that website.

Are you implying because it's subjective, that means it isn't worth caring about? If so, I think you're in the wrong forum.  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 12:46:43 AM »
No, that's not at all what I meant. I think that with music, there can be no 'best', because tastes, as well as lots of external factors matter in how we enjoy music (or don't). The inherent problem with music rankings is that they can never be completely according to your own tastes. Like the top albums on RYM, it's merely an average of the specific demographic that uses the website. If you take that into account, then OK Computer is the top rated album (not the best) among the people that uses the website (not everybody).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:13 AM »
No, that's not at all what I meant. I think that with music, there can be no 'best', because tastes, as well as lots of external factors matter in how we enjoy music (or don't). The inherent problem with music rankings is that they can never be completely according to your own tastes. Like the top albums on RYM, it's merely an average of the specific demographic that uses the website. If you take that into account, then OK Computer is the top rated album (not the best) among the people that uses the website (not everybody).

Oh ok, in that case I agree.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »

I think there are a lot of hipsters on RYM. Otherwise an album Velvet Underground & Nico would not be ranked as the third greatest album of all time, above any The Beatles or Zep album.

What's that joke about the Velvet Underground?  Only about 10,000 people bought their records, but every one of them started a band... I think they are good, but they are a transition band, a lot like The Yardbirds. 

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »
Great album, no biggie. Classic status well-deserved. But to me, In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief and Kid A are even better.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
On some days, they are indeed, but OK Computer will likely remain my favourite Radiohead album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Kid A is favorite album ever made, but I definitely OK computer as well. If OK computer is 3D, then for me Kid A is 4D. It just goes to a whole different level.

Love em both though  :heart

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 02:37:29 PM »
I de-registered my RYM account a few years back. Constantly rating stuff was starting to take away from my enjoyment of the music. Not saying everyone should stop rating things, it just worked for me. The vibe there also put me off a bit.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2018, 05:49:31 AM »
When we're talking about RYM here, can someone explain a "To Pimp a Butterfly" phenomenon? That album came out in 2015 and now it's ranked as No 20 on "Top albums" list and the highest-rated hip-hop album on RYM (4.16 out of 21,210 ratings).
I like that album quite a bit, I can get its big appeal, it's probably a hip-hop album that is accessible to non-rap fans. But I think it's definitely over-praised by critics(they praised it more than any older hip-hop classic) and it has many bandwagon praisers.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »
Ok Computer is fantastic. Kid A is the one I think is massively overrated.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2018, 12:11:40 PM »
When we're talking about RYM here, can someone explain a "To Pimp a Butterfly" phenomenon? That album came out in 2015 and now it's ranked as No 20 on "Top albums" list and the highest-rated hip-hop album on RYM (4.16 out of 21,210 ratings).
I like that album quite a bit, I can get its big appeal, it's probably a hip-hop album that is accessible to non-rap fans. But I think it's definitely over-praised by critics(they praised it more than any older hip-hop classic) and it has many bandwagon praisers.
I think it's a fantastic record, and lots of people that love it have rated it highly  :laugh:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
yeah maybe things are just rated highly because people like them
i mean i don't like kendrick at all but lots of people do & good on them

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
yeah maybe things are just rated highly because people like them
i mean i don't like kendrick at all but lots of people do & good on them
I'm with you there. I don't understand the appeal of Kendrick at all. He is a mediocre rapper at best.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2018, 10:21:00 PM »
personally i just don't like rap

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 04:23:22 AM »
OMG! Unbelievable. Now Radiohead took 3 spots on the top 10 chart.

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
Damn, I don't remember In Rainbows being that high. Was there a recent raid or something? :|

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 07:36:06 AM »
Look, I LOVE every record in that top ten (except for the Radiohead; just can't do it) and I know I've said this before, but you might as well pull someone at random from a crowd and ask them the same question.   That list is a function of the voters more than the material being voted on.    Neural Milk Hotel is ostensibly better than "Who's Next", "The Wall", "Sgt. Pepper", EVERY Genesis album, EVERY Yes album... c'mon. 

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »
Look, I LOVE every record in that top ten (except for the Radiohead; just can't do it) and I know I've said this before, but you might as well pull someone at random from a crowd and ask them the same question.   That list is a function of the voters more than the material being voted on.    Neural Milk Hotel is ostensibly better than "Who's Next", "The Wall", "Sgt. Pepper", EVERY Genesis album, EVERY Yes album... c'mon.

I was stunned when I saw that Who's Next is ranked at #100 on RYM chart. That album is a huge rock classic and it should be in top 30 at least.
Rush's highest ranked album is obviously Moving Pictures and it's at #233. Just wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:20 AM »
In Rainbows is in my all-time top 10, so I am good with that.  :coolio

That said, it is hard to take any list seriously where Neural Milk Hotel scores that high.  Good grief.  :lol :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:52 AM »
And I've actually listened to it.  It's not like I'm showing bias for "my music".

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a classic groundbreaking album for its genre though. It's not a 10/10 for me (maybe more like 8.5/10 or so) but similar to Dark Side of the Moon being #2 (I mean it's not even the best PF album) sometimes it boils down to importance, impact and legacy more than the songs themselves.

The problem when debating lists like this no matter how many people are voting is that no matter what albums are in the top10, you can ask every person on the planet and they will say "hey, that album doesn't belong there" because I strongly doubt you'll find someone who agrees with that list 100%.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »
True, but while I greatly do recognize importance (I have a list of about 20 albums or so that I feel ANY music fan should listen to at least once) it's all in context.  As innovative as NMH might be, is it as 'innovative' as "Sgt. Pepper"?  Or "Tommy"? 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 12:20:58 PM »
True, but while I greatly do recognize importance (I have a list of about 20 albums or so that I feel ANY music fan should listen to at least once) it's all in context.  As innovative as NMH might be, is it as 'innovative' as "Sgt. Pepper"?  Or "Tommy"?

It's hard to compare across genres but it's an album that's basically to indie rock what Images & Words was to progressive metal. Whether it's the best executed album of its genre is a subjective question but you can hear echoes of it on a lot of other albums that has followed in that genre since. Indie Rock is a pretty big genre as well and if the album is that whole sub culture's bible then it's not very surprising to see it that high on a list like RYM imo.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »

It's hard to compare across genres but it's an album that's basically to indie rock what Images & Words was to progressive metal. Whether it's the best executed album of its genre is a subjective question but you can hear echoes of it on a lot of other albums that has followed in that genre since. Indie Rock is a pretty big genre as well and if the album is that whole sub culture's bible then it's not very surprising to see it that high on a list like RYM imo.

I don't question that at all; but while Images and Words is probably in my top 10 or 15 favorite albums.  But that doesn't mean that Images and Words belongs in the same category, objectively, as Sgt. Pepper.   It's just not.   

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 03:14:27 PM »
Images & Words is ranked at #987 on RYM (3.67 out of  8 950 ratings). It's pretty low.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
Any top 10 albums of all time list that contains The Velvet Underground is immediately dismissed by me. I don't care how influential that album was, or important it was to its genre. Radiohead notwithstanding. I mean I like some Radiohead, but 3 in the top 10 pretty much takes the shamalama right out of ding dong..... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Current ranking of RH albums on the all-time chart:

OK Computer - #1 (4.23 out of 59,116 ratings)
Kid A - #2 (4.21 out of 48,423 ratings)
In Rainbow - #8 (4.14 out of 39,148 ratings)
The Bends - #40 (3.86 out of 39,150 ratings)
Amnesiac - #79 (3.81 out of 32,194 ratings)
A Moon Shaped Pool - #136 (3.86 out of 22,740 ratings)
Hail to the Thief - #184 (3.67 out of 29,344 ratings)

And especially LMAO at "The King of Limbs" being bolded with average score 3.26 (out of 20,280 ratings).