Author Topic: DT post-breakup lines. (Except from Space Dye Vest)  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
DT post-breakup lines. (Except from Space Dye Vest)
« on: February 15, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
What is/are in your opinion a/the Dream Theater songs that could represent a breakup? I have excluded Space Dye Vest because it seems the most obvious answer.

I would go with:
-My Last Farewell (the title says it all)
-Disappear (I know the song is about someone actually dying but it can also be interpreted as 'moving on' from a negative event in general)
-The Best of Times (remembering the best moments spent together)
-Behind the Veil (when the other one seems to not be affected by anything while you are desperately begging help)
-Endless Sacrifice (all the sacrifices you have done seems to not matter anymore)
-Far From Heaven (when you say to your loved one that she can't change your feelings even if she tries)

These were the ones that come to my mind.

BIG EDIT. Now the thread is referring not to 'songs' but actual 'lines'.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:07:18 PM by Renzo »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: DT post-breakup songs. (Except Space Dye Vest)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
My Last Farewell isn't a breakup song at all. It's Gabriel's despair at seeing his brother dead and Faythe dying.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »
Status Seeker

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
My Last Farewell isn't a breakup song at all. It's Gabriel's despair at seeing his brother dead and Faythe dying.

True. I didn't specify but I was referring in particular at the piano introduction and the last section "crushing pain"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
Endless Sacrifice is the total opposite, is about struggling to stay together in spite of the distance, it can hardly be re-imagined as a breakup song... yes, the chorus is pessimistic, but the verses and the climax (Over the distance we try to make sense of surviving together while living apart) all celebrate commitment.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
I'LL NEVER BE OP-Ah shit

I think DT has always kind of avoided writing normal non-specific breakup song lyrics. There can be some songs that can be applied to a breakup situation as well as to other kind of failing relationship.

Examples of this might be Far From Heaven: "You take your pride while I die inside every day", Beneath the Surface: "Until one day I stopped Caring. And began to forget why I tried to be so Close", You Not Me: "You're building my prison brick by brick, Eating your words is making me sick, You get what you want, Cause nothing is sacred, You're reading my mind and leaving me naked" or Status Seeker: "Are you sanctified in your judgment of me? All that I deserve is what you were unable to see". You can even stretch that to Raise the Knife, even if that's MP talking about a Manager/Kevin Moore: "Reading through all the digests that you show me, I notice the way that you think you control me, Doubting my future, you don't even know me. But I never walked out on you"

Endless Sacrifice is the total opposite, is about struggling to stay together in spite of the distance, it can hardly be re-imagined as a breakup song... yes, the chorus is pessimistic, but the verses and the climax (Over the distance we try to make sense of surviving together while living apart) all celebrate commitment.
Also, this.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:12:41 PM by LCArenas »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
I don't get what this thread is supposed to be about.  None of those songs are about breakups.  What exactly are you asking?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »
I don't get what this thread is supposed to be about.  None of those songs are about breakups.  What exactly are you asking?

I was wondering if some DT songs can be interpreted differently as they are meant to be, into a breakup style song. If the thread seems off topic please be free to lock it.  ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
It's not "off topic."  The topic is just odd.  There's a difference.  :lol 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

I was wondering if some DT songs can be interpreted differently as they are meant to be, into a breakup style song. If the thread seems off topic please be free to lock it.  ;D

Metropolis Pt. 2 is about how to correctly handle a break up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Well, Honor Thy Father has some tasty lines if you want to take them out of context and wield them during the breakup.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Evai

Re: DT post-breakup lines. (Except from Space Dye Vest)
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
The lyrics in my signature could be the girl before she breaks up with you
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
Well, Honor Thy Father has some tasty lines if you want to take them out of context and wield them during the breakup.

:lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »
Umm, Behind The Veil isn't a break up song....and the true story behind it is rather horrific  :'(
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 07:50:46 PM »
Is Lie about a break up of sorts?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »
So we're supposed to post lyrics that are like a breakup?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:34 PM »
Never Enough sounds like he is getting ready to go!       

What would you say
If I walked away
Would you appreciate
But then it'd be too late
'Cause I can only take so much of your ungrateful ways
Everything is never enough

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 11:38:37 PM »

Yes.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 03:28:03 AM »

Yes.

Well then, Pull Me Under is a kinky breakup song  :hat
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »
All of Beneath the Surface could be a breakup song. Hell when I first heard it I thought it was John talking about how he felt about Mike leaving.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »
Raising the Knife?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night, Petrucci describing an ex  :lol
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 04:10:51 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night, Petrucci describing an ex  :lol

A SICKENING MONSTROUS SIGHT  ;D ;D ;D

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 04:45:58 PM »
All of Beneath the Surface could be a breakup song. Hell when I first heard it I thought it was John talking about how he felt about Mike leaving.
Although John will never admit it in a million years, to me, it’s exactly this the source of inspiration for this song.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
Although John will never admit it in a million years, to me, it’s exactly this the source of inspiration for this song.

Same with The Looking Glass for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:08 AM »

Well, never say never, but to me the lyrics are quite straightforward, it's about two people that could be in a relationship, but for whatever reason never found the right time to open to each other's feelings, until the window of opportunity closed forever. It's not a breakup song, it's a "never getting together in the first place" song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 06:23:45 AM »
Interesting, I never read this lyrics this way, but also it makes a lot of sense. John had ever said anything about his inspiration for this song?

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 06:49:18 AM »

Well, never say never, but to me the lyrics are quite straightforward, it's about two people that could be in a relationship, but for whatever reason never found the right time to open to each other's feelings, until the window of opportunity closed forever. It's not a breakup song, it's a "never getting together in the first place" song.

I've listened to it this morning and it gave me this exact feeling of "never getting together"

Offline Evai

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 05:42:33 PM »
Interesting, I always saw it as a really sad breakup song
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 03:40:36 AM »
In many ways, 6:00 and Innocence Faded are break-up songs each representing his respective side of the argument. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
John had ever said anything about his inspiration for this song?
Yes:
One of the questions I had been meaning to ask JP was regarding the lyrics to Beneath the Surface and who they were about, since it appears they are about his relationship with MP.

JP explained that when he was writing the lyrics, he was thinking of the relationship that he has with his kids (who are now in their teens) - how they are becoming more independent and growing apart from him as they get older - and comparing it to his own relationship with his parents when he was their age and the similarities between them, "kinda like the 'Cat's in the Cradle'" (song from Harry Chapin). So that's the story behind those lyrics. Cool side note is that he even took out his iPhone to show me pictures of his kids.   :)
and
JP's lyrics are about his reflections looking back on his childhood years and how it's sometimes difficult for a father and son to connect for various reasons - in no way is it reflective of his relationship with Reny or his daughters.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
Really cool to know that, Scotty, thanks!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
I think far from heaven and beneath the surface is the strongest one.!  Maybe Hollow years too
And she listens openly