Breaking the Silence
18 (4.1%)
I Dream In Infra Red
14 (3.2%)
Spreading the Disease
23 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: November 27, 2023, 07:16:41 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these 80's songs by Queensryche  (Read 2521 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Your favorites of these 80's songs by Queensryche
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:26 PM »
There is no way DeGarmo was a "better" singer than Tate.  But that said, he was a REALLY good singer, and his vocals contributed a TON to the band's sound while he was in the band.  He harmonizes so well with Tate and, in a live setting, really propped up Tate's already-amazing vocals.

Yeah...what you're saying is the reality of it.  I probably should have said that I was more impressed by DeGarmo's singing than I was by Tate.  I already knew Tate was a beast, and I had seen DeGarmo in the Live in Tokyo video, but seeing him handle not only his guitar duties, but also a ton of important BG vox was super impressive.

Tate had also biased me against him by his assholish comments when I met in before one of the two shows QR played with Metallica at the Long Beach Arena in December 1988.  The guitar player in my band had won tickets to one of the shows and was invited to a meet and greet with both bands.  He also won a drawing of all of the winners and got a guitar autographed by Kirk Hammett.  When QR came into the room, DeGarmo, Wilton and Rockenfield very humble and cool (I don't remember Jackson being there).  Tate, of course, was Mr. Rockstar.  The singer in our band had asked me to ask him what sorts of warm ups he did before singing.  Tate looked me in the eye and said with a straight face, "I masturbate in the shower," and then moved onto the next person.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 04:35:40 PM »
Doesn't surprise me.  When I met him years after that, I had a similarly offputting, albeit significantly less gross, experience.  Hope you didn't shake hands.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 06:10:33 PM »
Doesn't surprise me.  When I met him years after that, I had a similarly offputting, albeit significantly less gross, experience.  Hope you didn't shake hands.  :lol

We probably did.   :|  He also signed the inner sleeve of my copy of The Warning (as did DeGarmo, Wilton and Rockenfield -- I got Eddie Jackson's signature a few years later at the MTV unplugged show).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »

We probably did.   :|  He also signed the inner sleeve of my copy of The Warning (as did DeGarmo, Wilton and Rockenfield -- I got Eddie Jackson's signature a few years later at the MTV unplugged show).

Hey, an autograph is an autograph.    I'm sure you made sure his hair wasn't wet, though.  At least tell us that much.  :)

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
I wasn't sure if there was overdubbing or not but when they sang backup (I'll assume it was DeGarmo) during the Mindcrime title track, the backup vocals sounded really, REALLY good.

There's an unedited, I believe, video floating around from the Empire tour at Auburn Hills and it gives you an idea of what editing went on for Livecrime. It's clearly a bit looser around the seams than what was presented for that video but it's still a towering level of performance.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »
I wasn't sure if there was overdubbing or not but when they sang backup (I'll assume it was DeGarmo) during the Mindcrime title track, the backup vocals sounded really, REALLY good.

There's an unedited, I believe, video floating around from the Empire tour at Auburn Hills and it gives you an idea of what editing went on for Livecrime. It's clearly a bit looser around the seams than what was presented for that video but it's still a towering level of performance.

https://youtu.be/EKYgyqGCXwg?t=48m28s
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »

Hey, an autograph is an autograph.    I'm sure you made sure his hair wasn't wet, though.  At least tell us that much.  :)

I'm sure the look on my face when he told me that was priceless.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
I can't lie and say he wasn't a little on the pompous side when I met him too. Everybody else was very cool when I met them (which was post DeGarmo and when Stone was in the band) everybody else was pretty down to earth and just having a good time. Tate seemed a bit in arrogant mode.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »

https://youtu.be/EKYgyqGCXwg?t=48m28s
Tate sounded alright. Not sure what they were thinking getting Robert Trujillo and Linda McCartney to sing background vocals, though. First two songs were hard to get through.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson