Breaking the Silence
18 (4.1%)
I Dream In Infra Red
14 (3.2%)
Spreading the Disease
23 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: November 27, 2023, 07:16:41 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these 80's songs by Queensryche  (Read 2520 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these 80's songs by Queensryche
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:16:41 PM »
Thread started by request!!

You can vote for up to 7.

I voted for:

The Mission
Suite Sister Mary
I Dream In Infra Red
The Killing Words
Speak
The Whisper
Spreading the Disease

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Your favorites of these 80's songs by Queensryche
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
I went with

Roads To Madness
NM 156
Queen Of The Reich
Speak
No Sanctuary
The Mission

and my 7th vote would go to Deliverance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
This is good timing.  :biggrin:

Walk in the Shadows
Speak
Eyes of a Stranger
Revolution Calling
I Don't Believe In Love
Operation:Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease

The vocals are why I picked mine.

Shoutout to The Whisper and The Killing Words, which I was going to vote for but dropped at the last minute.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline max_security

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
QOTR
Walk in the Shadows
NM 156
En Force
Neue Regel
Roads to Madness
Dream in Infra Red
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:03:27 PM by max_security »

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
NM 156
Take Hold of the Flame
The Mission
Suite Sister Mary
Neue Regel
Roads to Madness
Breaking the Silence

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »
In no particular order......

Eyes of a Stranger
The Lady Wore Black
Revolution Calling
Suite Sister Mary
Roads to Madness
I Dream In Infra Red
Spreading the Disease

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:15:31 PM »
Take Hold of the Flame, Walk in the Shadows, Eyes of a Stranger, Spreading the Disease, Neue Regel, Roads to Madness, Revolution Calling

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
I almost couldn't decide after my first two picks. There isn't a song from The Warning through Mindcrime that I don't absolutely adore (with the exception of Gonna Get Close To You).

Roads to Madness
Screaming in Digital
The Whisper
Eyes of a Stranger
Take Hold of the Flame
I Don't Believe in Love
Neue Regel
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 05:50:38 AM »
My picks:
Queen of the Reich
Eyes of a Stranger
Revolution Calling
I Don't Believe in Love
Suite Sister Mary
Operation: Mindcrime
Spreading the Disease

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
'80s only?  Come on, man!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 07:51:05 AM »
Queen of the Reich, Walk in the Shadows, NM156, I Don't Believe in Love, Eyes of a Stranger, Take Hold, Whisper

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »
Walk
Revolution
Flame
Killing Words
Don't Believe in Love
Sister Mary
Breaking Silence

Could have also picked Lady, Mission, Reich and Speak as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »
This was damn near impossible, but I went with:

Queen of the Reich - I was blown away the first time I heard it (notwithstanding the cheesy video), and I can still listen to it over and over without it feeling dated or old.
Speak - This was probably the bubble song.  A few others on Mindcrime could have taken its place.
NM 156 - One of their only "odd feel" songs I really like, and I like it a LOT.  The chorus is exceptional.  The only complaint is that it isn't longer.
Eyes of a Stranger - Hands down best song on Mindcrime.  The song fit perfectly in the concept but could have worked as well on a non-concept album.
Neue Regel - Incredible building song.  One of the best choruses there is.
Prophecy - I've loved this song since I first heard it watching the Live in Tokyo video.  Just an awesome high octane metal song (even if it is a bit derivative of Maiden).
Roads to Madness - An epic on their best album.  It builds so well and when it kicks into high gear at the end, it's just incredible.

Had Deliverance been on the list, I probably would have picked it over Speak.  The other notable omission here is Warning.  Honorable mentions to The Mission ans Suite Sister Mary and....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Going back to my "'80s only?" post:  I'm normally deferential to how people want to run their own polls.  Going by decade is fine.  But here, the '80s cutoff is arbitrary, and misses the band's most successful album (most successful by a LARGE margin, I might add) by only a few months.  Empire really should have been included.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
This is very hard for me, because QR - like Pink Floyd and Marillion - is not a "song" band for me.  I don't put on Rage... to hear "I Dream In Infrared" (though it's my favorite song on the record) and I certainly don't put on O:M for any one song.   I also agree with Bosk (though that means I don't have to note that "Last Time In Paris" and "Real World" ought to be on the list...).

Having said that....

Queen Of The Rhyche
Eyes Of A Stranger
I Don't Believe In Love
Screaming In Digital
I Dream In Infrared

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
Going back to my "'80s only?" post:  I'm normally deferential to how people want to run their own polls.  Going by decade is fine.  But here, the '80s cutoff is arbitrary, and misses the band's most successful album (most successful by a LARGE margin, I might add) by only a few months.  Empire really should have been included.

Playing devil's advocate, cutting it off at Mindcrime means the records are generally what's viewed as Queensryche's metal years, right? So it sort of works in that context. With Empire, they purposefully went with a warmer tone with an eye on commercial hard rock, as opposed to what came before.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

Playing devil's advocate, cutting it off at Mindcrime means the records are generally what's viewed as Queensryche's metal years, right? So it sort of works in that context. With Empire, they purposefully went with a warmer tone with an eye on commercial hard rock, as opposed to what came before.

Yep, that was pretty much my thought process. 

I will do a 90's one as well here next.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »

I'm with the others who think cutting it off after Mindcrime makes sense (regardless of the commercial success of Empire).

That one will be infinitely easier.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
Eyes of a Stranger
The Lady Wore Black
I Will Remember
The Mission
The Killing Words
Suite Sister Mary
Neue Regel

Goes without saying that I have little love for The Warning. Never could get into that album, save for a few tracks, and THotF is just so overplayed that I don't need to ever hear it again. EoaS was my introduction to QR, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. And Neue Regel is my favorite QR song, bar none.

Altho they are from the 90's (some would be worthy of including in my top 7 list), honorable mention goes to One and Only, Anybody Listening, Damaged, Disconnected (yes I really like this song), You, spOOL, Liquid Sky and Right Side of My Mind.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »
Okay, fine.  I get the cutoff. 

...and I do feel a bit guilty about raging in Kev's thread anyway, since I was the one who PM'd him and asked him if he would be interested in doing a Queensryche one in the first place.  :lol  But still, I couldn't help myself when I saw that their seminal work was left out.  But I'm done complaining now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
Walk in the Shadows
Eyes of A Stranger
Revolution Calling
Prophecy
Roads to Madness
I Don't Believe in Love
Take Hold of the Flame
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »
and THotF is just so overplayed that I don't need to ever hear it again. EoaS was my introduction to QR

Random off-topic comment:  Am I the only one who, when I don't immediately recognize what an acronym means (even if, in retrospect, they're really obvious), makes up something silly just as a placeholder while reading (and before thinking about what it actually means)?  For example, on my first reading of this, "EoaS" was "Evil on a Shingle."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »

That one will be infinitely easier.

Not if I leave off the two or three biggest hits to make it less easy. :biggrin:

Okay, fine.  I get the cutoff. 

...and I do feel a bit guilty about raging in Kev's thread anyway, since I was the one who PM'd him and asked him if he would be interested in doing a Queensryche one in the first place.  :lol  But still, I couldn't help myself when I saw that their seminal work was left out.  But I'm done complaining now.

All good.  :hat

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »
I think this is the first of Kev's polls where I've used all of the picks and even had to leave one or two off.

Queen of the Ryche
Lady wore black
No Sanctuary
Screaming in Digital
Neue Regel
Roads to Madness
Breaking the Silence

I'll pass when the 90s come around, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
Gosh, Queensryche used to be so good, didn't they? I'll have to dig their albums out and give them a listen over the weekend.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 02:11:30 AM »
I Dream in Infrared
The Killing Words
Neue Regel
Screaming in Digital
Operation: Mindcrime
The Mission
Eyes of a Stranger

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
I think this is the first of Kev's polls where I've used all of the picks and even had to leave one or two off.

Queen of the Ryche
Lady wore black
No Sanctuary
Screaming in Digital
Neue Regel
Roads to Madness
Breaking the Silence

Not even Empire?  I agree if you say that the precipice after Empire was pretty steep (though I know Promised Land gets a fair amount of love here) but that's undeniably an excellent record, which is, of course, a matter of taste, but there is enough material with threads to O:M that it would surprise me if that's where the line is.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 08:23:36 AM »
Since this is the 80s 'ryche thread, I sat and watched some Livecrime last night (yeah I know it was 91, but whatever - and not the whole thing, it was pretty awful quality), but holy crap. What a tight band, they were absolutely on fire. What I'd give to go back in time and be a part of that experience. Un freaking believable how good Tate was live, he had the swagger and even the Axl Rose style of changing clothes during the show. I've honestly surprised at how much I love Rage For Order and Mindcrime, I really wish someone had told me to listen to these when I was a kid. I keep rewatching the verses of the title track because you can hear Tate's voice soaring between the drum hits, it's just remarkable.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »
Since this is the 80s 'ryche thread, I sat and watched some Livecrime last night (yeah I know it was 91, but whatever - and not the whole thing, it was pretty awful quality), but holy crap. What a tight band, they were absolutely on fire. What I'd give to go back in time and be a part of that experience. Un freaking believable how good Tate was live, he had the swagger and even the Axl Rose style of changing clothes during the show. I've honestly surprised at how much I love Rage For Order and Mindcrime, I really wish someone had told me to listen to these when I was a kid. I keep rewatching the verses of the title track because you can hear Tate's voice soaring between the drum hits, it's just remarkable.

For its time, it was really high-end. Then again, that was shot 27 years ago, so in comparison to today it isn't that good. But yeah, the band was on fire and in its prime. Tate had lost a little range, but his control was amazing back then and the whole band energized.

Of the three shows they filmed for it (I think it was three, I need to double check at some point), there were only two errors. At one gig, Tate flubbed a lyric, and at another, Wilton broke a string. But that was it. Other than those two minor things, they could have used any single show in its entirety for the release if they wanted to. That's how incredibly tight they were back then.

Tate will always be my all time favorite singer. His voice is nowhere what it was 27 years ago, but the man simply had a gift.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »

Queen of the Ryche
Lady wore black
No Sanctuary
Screaming in Digital
Neue Regel
Roads to Madness
Breaking the Silence

Not even Empire?  I agree if you say that the precipice after Empire was pretty steep (though I know Promised Land gets a fair amount of love here) but that's undeniably an excellent record, which is, of course, a matter of taste, but there is enough material with threads to O:M that it would surprise me if that's where the line is.
There were a few songs on Empire that I really dug, and Promised Land was a fine album (I prefer it to Empire). I just don't have anywhere close to a familiarity with the remaining 90's era stuff, nor do I want one, to be able to judge them fairly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 09:40:23 AM »

For its time, it was really high-end. Then again, that was shot 27 years ago, so in comparison to today it isn't that good. But yeah, the band was on fire and in its prime. Tate had lost a little range, but his control was amazing back then and the whole band energized.

Of the three shows they filmed for it (I think it was three, I need to double check at some point), there were only two errors. At one gig, Tate flubbed a lyric, and at another, Wilton broke a string. But that was it. Other than those two minor things, they could have used any single show in its entirety for the release if they wanted to. That's how incredibly tight they were back then.

Tate will always be my all time favorite singer. His voice is nowhere what it was 27 years ago, but the man simply had a gift.

I always knew it was filmed in Madison and Milwaukee.  According to Wikipedia, there was a third night from Lacrosse, WI that also made up part of the shoot, which I did not know.  What I also did not know is that those three shows were done three consecutive nights!   :eek

Yeah, ignoring that they didn't have hi def capability back then, it is a stellar set of shows and a stellar recording.  I am thankful to have seen them on that tour in Raleigh, NC.  We were a bit farther back during the opener, Suicidal Tendencies (who also put on a REALLY good show), but we moved up and were about 10 feet from the stage, just left of center for Queensryche.  To this day, I might consider that the best show I have ever seen in person.  It is definitely up there.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 09:50:20 AM »

A lot of what you're saying here (especially at the end) is a result of Chris DeGarmo.  The guy a genius songwriter, and I came out of some QR shows believing that he was a better singer than Tate, which is saying something because Tate was always really good back then.  That includes when they did a nearly complete performance of Mindcrime in mid-89 after spending the first part of the tour as an opening act for Metallica and others.  Go back and watch the Live in Tokyo video, and you can really see it.  1980s Queensryche was one of the best live bands around.  Maybe I'll pull out that VHS and the Livecrime VHS this weekend (and maybe I'll buy some Miller Genuine Draft and make it a really 80s weekend!).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
There is no way DeGarmo was a "better" singer than Tate.  But that said, he was a REALLY good singer, and his vocals contributed a TON to the band's sound while he was in the band.  He harmonizes so well with Tate and, in a live setting, really propped up Tate's already-amazing vocals. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
I wasn't sure if there was overdubbing or not but when they sang backup (I'll assume it was DeGarmo) during the Mindcrime title track, the backup vocals sounded really, REALLY good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
I couldn't tell you whether they added anything to the vocals of those shows in post-production.  But I can say that, whether they did or not, it's still a very good representation of what you would actually hear live.  Tate had both the range and the power back then.  And while Chris had a much thinner voice, he had great range and harmonized VERY well with Tate.  Add in Eddie's harmonies, and they had a fantastic vocal section.