Author Topic: The internet has made me hate humanity.  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: The internet has made me hate humanity.
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
Twitter and Facebook are exactly what you make it.

It's just lately that I've had this need to respond to idiots.  i used to scroll right by them before.

Just keep on scrolling right by them. Or just block them. It's really that simple. People need to learn this, instead of just totally blindly dismissing the entire media. I mean, if you want to completely avoid it, then you do you.

Arguing is completely unnecessary. If both sides stand by their convictions, neither is going to back down, so it's a total waste of time and energy that could be better spent doing things that make you feel good.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
I hear ya Joe....I've constructed a pretty good echo chamber with my feed that pretty much caters to my beliefs...liberal, pro science, lots of metal, so there isn't much to disagree with, but yeah, if I stray too far off the reservation I run into the face of it. Granted some are legit people making legit arguments that I just disagree with, but there are some scary fuckers too.

Recently I've been in a mode of don't engage and keep scrolling, and my sanity is the better for it. I'm set in my ways, and I accept there are peeps who are set in the exact opposite ways, and that is what it is. I'm not gonna keep throwing shit against a wall when I know it won't stick.

But I hope you respectfully understand that this is part of the problem.  Maybe not with you, but you get people - and I know some personally -that get into their little bubble and they start to think that's the way the entire world is, and they forget that people can be reasonable, nice, respectful people AND still disagree with fundamental parts of your point of view.   When you've been ingrained with message A over and over and over, and then you hear B without background, without (sometimes) context, and without elaboration, it can seem jarring. 

I also disagree with the idea that "the media is what you make it".    Twitter in particular is purposefully set up to promote the popularity wave.   If you can get the controversial quip in, or the good burn, then start accumulating "Likes" like candy at a Halloween party, it starts to skew the conversation. It's not about a meaningful debate of two reasonable ideas in the public forum, it's a battle of who can sling the best one-liner and get the most eyeballs. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 10:10:48 AM »
Social has become so bad. It's really sad honestly.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »
I hear ya Joe....I've constructed a pretty good echo chamber with my feed that pretty much caters to my beliefs...liberal, pro science, lots of metal, so there isn't much to disagree with, but yeah, if I stray too far off the reservation I run into the face of it. Granted some are legit people making legit arguments that I just disagree with, but there are some scary fuckers too.

Recently I've been in a mode of don't engage and keep scrolling, and my sanity is the better for it. I'm set in my ways, and I accept there are peeps who are set in the exact opposite ways, and that is what it is. I'm not gonna keep throwing shit against a wall when I know it won't stick.

But I hope you respectfully understand that this is part of the problem.  Maybe not with you, but you get people - and I know some personally -that get into their little bubble and they start to think that's the way the entire world is, and they forget that people can be reasonable, nice, respectful people AND still disagree with fundamental parts of your point of view.   When you've been ingrained with message A over and over and over, and then you hear B without background, without (sometimes) context, and without elaboration, it can seem jarring. 

I also disagree with the idea that "the media is what you make it".    Twitter in particular is purposefully set up to promote the popularity wave.   If you can get the controversial quip in, or the good burn, then start accumulating "Likes" like candy at a Halloween party, it starts to skew the conversation. It's not about a meaningful debate of two reasonable ideas in the public forum, it's a battle of who can sling the best one-liner and get the most eyeballs.

Oh I totally understand that, that's why I read the P&R section here. It gives me a view of the other side without being sourced from their echo chamber, which will inevitably be as biased as mine. And I don't think that the echo chamber gives them a sense of that is how the whole world is, I think it gives them a sense of they are totally in the right and everyone else is fucking satan, which in the long run is much, much worse. If we constantly perceive the other side as being completely and morally bankrupt, coming together on simple issues becomes an impossibility.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »
The internet certainly brings out the worse in some people.  For all the benefits of the internet, I think this is the huge drawback which has exploded thanks to social media and the idea that our voices are all important and should be heard.  I stay far away from politics on social media, there's no benefit.  There's no discussion, it's always just a pissing match that in the end, makes no one look good and sometimes causes real hatred. 

I've become friends with someone who I video game with.  He requested me on facebook, but warned me that he's a troll.  I was like.. "ok, whatever" but now I see it on facebook.  I really don't like his actions.  He purposely picks fights with people for fun on the comments.  I kind of understand his "it's fun" argument.  I like to troll myself from time to time, getting reactions out of people can be really fun, but purposely picking on random people on the internet specifically on political commentary is a bit ridiculous IMO.

I've kind of grown accustomed to the idea that if you are going to get involved in the comments section, don't expect civil conversation and don't take anything seriously from it.  Therefore, don't get your emotions worked up because of the internet trolls.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 11:54:49 AM »
The best thing at the moment is people getting upset because Snapchat decided to update their look/layout whatever its called. They got so used to it that when change occurs its so unfamiliar and they don't want to bother learning the new layout/interface, so they complain on Facebook or don't even bother using it anymore.

It's actually pretty funny. Makes me wish I had a Snapchat before and after the update just to see what the hubbub is all about.

I only check Facebook on my chrome browser, I don't know why even though I have the app. I use the app if I want to post a gif as thats the only way I can post a gif.

It is funny thoigh, seeing the reactions from people around my age when I tell them I don't got a snapchat, Twitter, and whatever else they have. I do have an Instagram but rarely, if ever, use it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Tbh the Snapchat update isn't even that different. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
Tbh the Snapchat update isn't even that different. :lol

Which shows that people don't like change and won't bother to adapt.

Haha heres a nice article

https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/technology/snapchat-update-backlash/index.html
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
The best thing at the moment is people getting upset because Snapchat decided to update their look/layout whatever its called. They got so used to it that when change occurs its so unfamiliar and they don't want to bother learning the new layout/interface, so they complain on Facebook or don't even bother using it anymore.

It's actually pretty funny. Makes me wish I had a Snapchat before and after the update just to see what the hubbub is all about.

I only check Facebook on my chrome browser, I don't know why even though I have the app. I use the app if I want to post a gif as thats the only way I can post a gif.

It is funny thoigh, seeing the reactions from people around my age when I tell them I don't got a snapchat, Twitter, and whatever else they have. I do have an Instagram but rarely, if ever, use it.

My daughter was apoplectic over the changes.   She tried to explain it to me, but I was pleasantly surprised that she noticed my eyeballs glazed over and so she gave up.  ;) :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »
I look forward to one day being a parent so I can willfully misunderstand the latest social media.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
I look forward to one day being a parent so I can willfully misunderstand the latest social media.

Is this a shot at me XJ?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »
Is this a shot at me XJ?

Nope. Genuinely looking forward to it. Already subject all my friends to Dad Joke level puns.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
I'll cop to that though.  I know far more about what's going on than they think I do, and I'm more than fine with that. They can think I really do believe it's called "Snapgram" all they want. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:25 PM »
Ok.  Just wanted to make sure.  What you're saying reminds me of myself. In my twenties I said let's save the world. In my 40's I said can I have less taxes?

Priorities do change.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
I'll cop to that though.  I know far more about what's going on than they think I do, and I'm more than fine with that. They can think I really do believe it's called "Snapgram" all they want. 

"You know Snapchat right?"

"Nah, I never really played Pokemon."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:15 PM »
I seriously don't get snapchat man.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
Ok.  Just wanted to make sure.  What you're saying reminds me of myself. In my twenties I said let's save the world. In my 40's I said can I have less taxes?

Priorities do change.

Haha, you're a better man than I.  In my twenties, I said "Of course I can funnel six beers.  Wanna make out?"   In my 40's I said I'll have an iced tea, please, and can I have less taxes?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
I did that as well. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
jingle.daughter lives in snapchat.  I don't get it, but whatever.  I'm sure my parents didn't 'get' all of my Commodore64 gaming, or rolls of quarters for the arcade, or having both a snooker cue and an 8-ball cue.

Or the Snapple bottle with a hole in the bottom of it.   ;D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 08:08:07 PM »

For some reason this reminded me of the Dave Chappelle episode where the dude cut the bottom out of a popcorn bucket at the movie theater so that his girlfriend could give him a handjob during the movie.  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:35 PM »

This will only work if you call the internet "the inter-tubes", and have them buy into your ruse...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2018, 11:25:17 PM »
I almost never reed the comment sections. I scroll by things that are not worth my time.
Most of my news I get from either TV or a respectable newspaper I subscribe to.

For me Facebook is a tool to keep contact with friends, learn about upcoming concerts and other events.
I follow a lot of promotors on FB and would miss a lot of shows if I was not there. I would also not be able to meet up with both old and new voncertbuddies if it was not for FB.

I have Twitter but don't really use it.

Instagram is for following my daughters school.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 05:18:51 AM »
I think I started really hating certain internet rock/metal music fans for the way they kept bagging on and on after the release of Linkin Park's One More Light album.  We get it.  It's not the greatest album ever.  I didn't like it that much, except for two songs, but I feel no need to complain about it, since that never solves anything for me.

Especially in light of Chester Bennington's passing and the way he felt so strongly about creating the album, it made me wish that certain vocal people of the internet could have been a little more supportive for him and the band over the direction of the album.  They don't have to like it or love it, but I do wish that they chose their words a little more wisely and be less toxic about it.  I would not want to say that being more supportive for the album's direction could have saved his life, but still, that whole thing leaves a sour note for me.

I just go about ignoring certain things that is out there on the internet and not read too heavily on certain comments that's on Twitter or Facebook or Youtube and the likes.  I'm just glad that I'm part of good forums such as DTF to have good conversations and be part of a supportive community.

happy valentines day
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
Joe = :getoffmylawn:

I don't use the twatter's much... scratch that ... at all; and DTF'rs comprise about 90% of my Facebook feed - Joe and Josh, I'd hit you guys so hard!   :lol  Overall when I'm reading articles on the interwebz, or watchin da youtube'z, I avoid comments sections like the plague.

Except in P/R when Stadler gets a postin.   :biggrin:

I love the interaction I have with Josh.  The world needs more of him.
We have a lot of rational intelligent folks on this board. (Don't know what my problem is?) So I can disagree with people and not have to have it turn into a shit storm.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
jingle.daughter lives in snapchat.  I don't get it, but whatever.  I'm sure my parents didn't 'get' all of my Commodore64 gaming, or rolls of quarters for the arcade, or having both a snooker cue and an 8-ball cue.

You had secret signals with your parents for your hookers and your coke?   MY MAN!