Author Topic: The internet has made me hate humanity.  (Read 4018 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
The internet has made me hate humanity.
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
Some of the responses I see on Facebook and Twitter driving me insane. I'm getting to the point where I openly mock people for dumb post and tweets. it's bringing out the worst in me but I can't stop responding to dumb people.

Am I am falling into the mire that is the internet. When I was younger I just bit my tongue and ignored them and walk away in real life. Now that I'm getting older I have this insatiable need to respond. Help me DTF you are my only hope. :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The internet has made me hate humanity.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
I have a nasty habit of reading the comments after FOX articles. God damn there are some rotten people in the world. In the end it's best to simply chuckle about how stupid they are and then look at videos of kittens. The internet goes both ways, after all. For every page that saddens you there's a "faith in humanity restored" clickbait page.

And nobody need tell me that stupid people comment after HuffPro articles. I know that and it's not the point here.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
Lately I feel the need to point it out. It's like a drug.  :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
Some of the responses I see on Facebook and Twitter driving me insane.

Life is so peaceful in TAC land.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
I think the world would benefit from a break from the Internet for a month or two.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
SD, i agree.  I usually post uplifting, funny stuff.  Reading the dredge brings you down.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:00:29 PM »
I think I started really hating certain internet rock/metal music fans for the way they kept bagging on and on after the release of Linkin Park's One More Light album.  We get it.  It's not the greatest album ever.  I didn't like it that much, except for two songs, but I feel no need to complain about it, since that never solves anything for me.

Especially in light of Chester Bennington's passing and the way he felt so strongly about creating the album, it made me wish that certain vocal people of the internet could have been a little more supportive for him and the band over the direction of the album.  They don't have to like it or love it, but I do wish that they chose their words a little more wisely and be less toxic about it.  I would not want to say that being more supportive for the album's direction could have saved his life, but still, that whole thing leaves a sour note for me.

I just go about ignoring certain things that is out there on the internet and not read too heavily on certain comments that's on Twitter or Facebook or Youtube and the likes.  I'm just glad that I'm part of good forums such as DTF to have good conversations and be part of a supportive community.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »
There’s no nastier place in the world than a comments section....no matter the website. Just vile, hateful people from all walks of life making comments they’d never in a million years say to a persons face.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:36 PM »
There’s no nastier place in the world than a comments section....no matter the website. Just vile, hateful people from all walks of life making comments they’d never in a million years say to a persons face.

I say this all the time. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »

It is peaceful isn't it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
It's everywhere.  It's in the this forum. I tend to stay away because this is a community.   Facebook and Twitter are not a community. 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »

I say this all the time. 

What does your liver say?   And does it have a Facebook account?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
My bladder talks more.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
Joe = :getoffmylawn:

I don't use the twatter's much... scratch that ... at all; and DTF'rs comprise about 90% of my Facebook feed - Joe and Josh, I'd hit you guys so hard!   :lol  Overall when I'm reading articles on the interwebz, or watchin da youtube'z, I avoid comments sections like the plague.

Except in P/R when Stadler gets a postin.   :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:38:40 PM »
It's everywhere.  It's in the this forum. I tend to stay away because this is a community.   Facebook and Twitter are not a community.

???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:05:56 PM »

Depends on the thread I would think.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »

???

Political threads. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:55 PM »
Joe = :getoffmylawn:

I don't use the twatter's much... scratch that ... at all; and DTF'rs comprise about 90% of my Facebook feed - Joe and Josh, I'd hit you guys so hard!   :lol  Overall when I'm reading articles on the interwebz, or watchin da youtube'z, I avoid comments sections like the plague.

Except in P/R when Stadler gets a postin.   :biggrin:

I love the interaction I have with Josh.  The world needs more of him.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »
I hear ya Joe....I've constructed a pretty good echo chamber with my feed that pretty much caters to my beliefs...liberal, pro science, lots of metal, so there isn't much to disagree with, but yeah, if I stray too far off the reservation I run into the face of it. Granted some are legit people making legit arguments that I just disagree with, but there are some scary fuckers too.

Recently I've been in a mode of don't engage and keep scrolling, and my sanity is the better for it. I'm set in my ways, and I accept there are peeps who are set in the exact opposite ways, and that is what it is. I'm not gonna keep throwing shit against a wall when I know it won't stick.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »
Went through the process of having my Facebook account full on deleted about a year ago or so and it’s been great. I still do Twitter for some of the bands I like and sports stuff....but outside of that like Tim....this place is my ‘facebook’ or social media stop.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
Went through the process of having my Facebook account full on deleted about a year ago or so and it’s been great. I still do Twitter for some of the bands I like and sports stuff....but outside of that like Tim....this place is my ‘facebook’ or social media stop.

I could think of doing that, except that there;s a larger metal community that isn't here, mostly the peeps I met through Lady Obscure, that I still treasure being a part of. Also, it's a good way to follow my old bar's drama without having to tempt fate by keeping more intimate contact with those drunks :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »

I could think of doing that, except that there;s a larger metal community that isn't here, mostly the peeps I met through Lady Obscure, that I still treasure being a part of. Also, it's a good way to follow my old bar's drama without having to tempt fate by keeping more intimate contact with those drunks :lol

If I had the discipline to use Facebook for ‘good’ rather than succumb to the ‘evil’ aspects of it I would have kept it. It really is nice to keep in touch with folks and see how they are doing. I just started wasting SO much time on it....looking at nothing and reading just craziness. It was about two or three days after the Presidential Election I dug around and found out you could actually delete your account rather than just log off. I go extreme most of the time on whatever I do so I thought just eliminate the availability of me ever logging back in  :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:06 PM »
I deleted my old FB account right after the election as well. Then I began to miss some of the people that were long distances away from me, so I made a new one about a year ago. I limited it to less than 30 people, and I'm much happier for doing so. There are people on there from each side of the political spectrum, but I chose people that were respectful, and it has worked out very well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
I deleted my old FB account right after the election as well. Then I began to miss some of the people that were long distances away from me, so I made a new one about a year ago. I limited it to less than 30 people, and I'm much happier for doing so. There are people on there from each side of the political spectrum, but I chose people that were respectful, and it has worked out very well.

I have contemplated doing this lately. In large part, our kids school communicates a TON of stuff via Facebook. We’ve missed some things due to this. My wife has an account but she’s not logged on in ages and only does every so often to check on things like that.

But I do have a couple friends I only really kept in contact through Facebook that I miss communicating with. I’m on the fence still on whether or not I’ll pull the trigger

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »

I have contemplated doing this lately. In large part, our kids school communicates a TON of stuff via Facebook. We’ve missed some things due to this. My wife has an account but she’s not logged on in ages and only does every so often to check on things like that.

But I do have a couple friends I only really kept in contact through Facebook that I miss communicating with. I’m on the fence still on whether or not I’ll pull the trigger

I'd say go for it. It's so easy to miss out on things with people that are far away geographically. Time flies then you realize that you've completely lost touch with someone after a long period of time. I'm in my mid-40's, and almost everyone I know has lives that are pulling them in along in one direction, or another. Without social media we wouldn't be able to stay in touch at all. For all of the trash talk that FB gets (I'm guilty of doing this myself) there definitely is a good side to it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »
I have never had a social media account, other than LinkedIn for work purposes. My wife shows me stuff on her account all the time, and very rarely if ever has it made me think "I need to sign up otherwise I would have missed this."

I don't need to follow anyone on Twitter. No one says anything that profound I need to read that quickly. If it is newsworthy or of interest to me, I will find it via other sources.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »

I say this all the time.

Completely and totally agree. It's come to a point where I can predict the comments just by reading the news.

Stuff about immigrants = "Send them back home", fascism apology, racist insults, slut shaming of girls who defend them and "you're a commie" remarks to the guys
Any stuff any politician does = "Thieves, cheaters, we're starving"
Anything a model posts = Gross comments about how they'd bang her
Anything posted by a sport team or player = Insults for the last match
Anything science related = ignorant whackjobs believing in any stupid alternative shit
Anything moon related = "HOAX!!!!1111oneoneone"

And so on, and so forth, every day, every time, thrown in also the religious fanatics and the total inability to type properly or to understand that THERE'S NO NEED TO WRITE IN ALL CAPS.

And don't get me started on people sharing not only fake news, but pure and utter bullshit that would take 0,4 seconds of rational thinking to realize it's either bullshit or intended parody.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 01:32:28 AM »
Here's one thing people often tend to forget....you are in control of what you choose to see, and how you choose to respond to what you see. You know now that comments sections of most major websites are not even worth bothering with. And thankfully, at least with Youtube, the comments section is not immediately visible while you're watching the video. Just don't scroll down. Also, it's really not worth arguing/reasoning with idiots. As someone once said, "they'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience". The block button is your friend. If they're like that, they're really not worth having on your timeline.

People used to be like "oh it's only a vocal minority", but recent years have shown that that minority of idiots is probably bigger than we thought. They're just all crawling out of the woodwork now.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 05:46:41 AM »
I simply try to stick to the better parts of the net and the things that I enjoy about it. Granted, I have zero social media and am never going back after about a decade away from any of it now (jesus, time, stop moving fast bro) and I never read any comment sections for more than a few minutes at a time (mainly to save my freedom); but I get that it's tough not to scratch that itch without drawing some blood.

Humanity hasn't gotten any better or worse. The really sad thing is that for the most part, we haven't changed at all. It's just SOOOOO much more apparent and in your face now. All the dipshits and dumbfucks that would have either never been heard of or would have died off in days of yesteryear are now procreating and have the voice of the internet to speak through now. Sad. Sad stuff.  :lol :police:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »
I tend to look for the bright spots in situations.  I use "social media" in general as a way to show my kids what their "competition" (for lack of a better word) in their careers are spending their time on.  Use your time wisely don't piss away hours a day on all the nonsense and focus on education, health and getting ready to enter the real world.

And I tell my boys, if you are thinking about having a girlfriend check her FB.  If more than 20% of her pics are selfies, keep moving.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 06:25:32 AM »

No shit, huh?   I sort of dabbled a toe in the water with Twitter, but I was saved.  Bullet dodged.   Now I'm just cranky here. :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:31 AM »

No shit, huh?   I sort of dabbled a toe in the water with Twitter, but I was saved.  Bullet dodged.   Now I'm just cranky here. :)

It's unbelievable how different my life is from most of my peers. I'm 28 and while I have Facebook I never go on it, and I have no other social media accounts. Most folks my age think that's crazy and weird but then proceed to create tons of drama and stress in their lives because of social media. My life is much simpler to simply go without.

After spending 10 hours a day at work (on a good day) going home means investing time into my wife and daughter, not sitting on my phone scrolling through Twitter or whatever. Also, I have a very addictive personality so I've always been very mindful about getting sucked into the social media hole - which is pretty much the human brain equivalent of any other typical addiction.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
It's just lately that I've had this need to respond to idiots.  i used to scroll right by them before.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
It's just lately that I've had this need to respond to idiots.  i used to scroll right by them before.

Me too. Moon hoaxers, flat earthers, bigots and fascists... can't stay silent in front of the obscenities they post.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 07:38:04 AM »
I used to follow lots of very cynical pages that mock these people but realized it was making me bitter and filled with negativity so stopped that. I still follow some because they post pretty varied content tho, mostly memes  :P