Poll

Which combination of 5 albums would you choose?

Five Albums from One Single Band
1 (2.2%)
Five Albums from Five Different Bands, One From Each Band
44 (97.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Desert Island Discs Decision - 5 from your fave band, or 1 each from 5 bands?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline The Letter M

Not sure if a similar poll like this has been done before, but I figured I'd start it here and see what people come up with! I had this idea while driving home in my car earlier tonight, and was wondering what I would choose myself, and found it to be pretty difficult.

On one hand, if you have a favorite band that you absolutely love, having 5 of their albums would be amazing to pick, but you might want more variety, so picking five albums from five bands, with one from each band, might prove to be more palatable in the long run. I think it just depends on how strongly you love one band and if you can stand to listen to those five albums more than five bands.

For the sake of simplicity, let's limit the albums to Studio Albums Only - no live albums, no compilations, no re-issues with bonus discs - just original studio album releases. And before anyone asks, double-albums can count as one album, as being a double is just a restriction of the format (since older doubles now fit on single CDs, it wouldn't be fair to modern doubles if they didn't count as one album - so for example, you could pick five Ayreon or five Flower Kings albums and they all be double albums - the more the merrier!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
literally cannot think of any one band who have even 2 albums i'd consider one of my top 5 albums of all time, so, pretty easy choice here

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Well, the only disc anyone ever really needs is Toto IV, so everything after that is just a bonus.

Five from different bands. Gotta have the variety.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline erwinrafael

I could live with 5 DT albums, but it would be way more fun to have variety, so I would most likely have:

DT - Awake
Queen - News of the World
Steve Vai - Alive in an Ultra World
Extreme - IIII Sides to Every Story
Soundgarden - Superunknown

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Is anyone going to select the 5 from one band option?

My choices would be:

The Wall
The Human Equation
Images & Words
Zeppelin IV
Farewell to Kings
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I would have picked the "Five Albums from One Single Band" option if Wham! had released five albums, but since they did not, I will go with the other option.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
City Boy - The Day the Earth Caught Fire
The Violet Hour - The Fire Sermon
King Crimson - Red
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Dream Theater - Images & Words

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
literally cannot think of any one band who have even 2 albums i'd consider one of my top 5 albums of all time, so, pretty easy choice here

yup

also, why no live albums?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

I voted as the rest of you all for 1 album from 5 different bands.

The flaw with these kind of deser island scenarios however is that in the long run you'd get bored of the same stuff over and over. I consider Scenes from a Memory the greatest album of all time and I can't even remember the last time I heard it. Surely not in 2018, most likely not in 2017. Having a favorite album or movie does not mean you want to see it / hear it all the time over and over. I will forever call Iron Maiden my favorite bands and I don't even listen to the older albums anymore, if you want to know how many times I heard The Trooper and The Number of the Beast recently, ask me how many times I've seen recently the band live, 'cause the answer is the same.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I voted as the rest of you all for 1 album from 5 different bands.

The flaw with these kind of deser island scenarios however is that in the long run you'd get bored of the same stuff over and over. I consider Scenes from a Memory the greatest album of all time and I can't even remember the last time I heard it. Surely not in 2018, most likely not in 2017. Having a favorite album or movie does not mean you want to see it / hear it all the time over and over. I will forever call Iron Maiden my favorite bands and I don't even listen to the older albums anymore, if you want to know how many times I heard The Trooper and The Number of the Beast recently, ask me how many times I've seen recently the band live, 'cause the answer is the same.

I agree with everything you have said.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline SoundscapeMN

I would have picked the "Five Albums from One Single Band" option if Wham! had released five albums, but since they did not, I will go with the other option.

if you combined this with George Michael, my wife might take this one (or Michael Nesmith+TheMonkees).

personally, while Kevin Gilbert and Marillion both have 5 albums (Kevin combined with Giraffe and Toy Matinee) that I could easily see, I am someone who loves variety maybe most, so I likely would have to pick 5 albums by different artists almost every time over 5 by 1 artist.

Offline New World Rushman

Pink Floyd - Animals
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
The Yes Album
Led Zep - Physical Graffiti
DT - Scenes

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I could live with 5 DT albums, but it would be way more fun to have variety

Yeah, same here.  Part of me would love to have either 5 DT albums or 5 Neal Morse albums.  But I'd want more variety.  Off the top of my head, my selections would probably look something like:
-DT:  Six Degrees
-NM:  One
-Transatlantic:  The Whirlwind
-Fates Warning;  Theories of Flight
-Epica:  The Divine Conspiracy

At least, that's my top 5 today.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Five different albums...my choices would be...

DT- I&W
Yes- Tales
IQ- Seventh House
Marillion- Clutching at Straws
TesseracT- One

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Radakka - Malice & Tranquility
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Weird to not have a thrash album in there - something by Megadeth/Slayer/Metallica could be tossed in, in place of Mindcrime.  My interest in QR has really faded over the last few years, but that's such a great record it's hard to want to drop it.  I could interchange any of the Maiden albums, but BNW just comes from a really special time in my life and I love almost all of it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Some of these could easily change an hour from now but 5 I would be more than happy to be stuck with:

Toto - Toto IV
Stratovarius - Episode
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Some of these could easily change an hour from now but 5 I would be more than happy to be stuck with:

‘More than happy’ is quite a stretch, since I’d rather not be limited in the music I listen to, but for the purpose of this thread, let’s try it with this:

Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Leprous - Live at Rockefeller Music Hall (or Bilateral if live albums aren’t tolerated)
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Ulver - Perdition City

Way way way way too much stuff left off, unfortunately
Squ

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Five different bands, without question.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
36 votes and they're all for the second option, wow  :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
DT - SFAM
Kansas - Song for America
Floyd - Division Bell
Rush - Hemispheres
Toto - Hydra
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Of course not, it doesn't make sense
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

My choices would be:

The Wall
The Human Equation
Images & Words
Zeppelin IV
Farewell to Kings

We were waiting for you to choose it.   :)

ME:
Going For The One
Diary Of A Madman
Hemisperes
Images And Words
Wind And Wuthering

Offline pg1067

It's a blowout (42-0 as of the time I voted)!

Without doing a lot of thinking about it, I would take the following:

DT - LSFNY
Yes - Yessongs
Maiden - Live After Death
Fates Warning - Still Life
Rush - Chronicles

It would SUCK not to have Hemispheres, but I just can't justify taking such a short album over the compilation album that's nearly four times as long.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not doing mine atm since I'm probably gonna do a top 50 albums list soon and don't want to spoil  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I'm not doing mine atm since I'm probably gonna do a top 50 albums list soon and don't want to spoil  :corn

The five I posted are not my top 5 albums ever
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'd definitely be picking from my top 10-15  though

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

DT - LSFNY
Yes - Yessongs
Rush - Chronicles

It would SUCK not to have Hemispheres, but I just can't justify taking such a short album over the compilation album that's nearly four times as long.

I had five live albums too at first, but the OP states studio only. Live seems the best way to get a broader spectrum.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well, if we could pick ANYTHING that's an official release, I'd chose 5 box-sets.

Give it time, I'm sure Kev will come up with new and more specific threads.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dave_Manchester

I seem to be in the minority in that I'd have to go with 5 from one band (Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall). The 'Dark Side' to 'The Wall' albums occupy spaces 1-4 on my top albums of all time list, and I couldn't be without them, or without Echoes (from Meddle).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yeah, but if there was literally nothing you could listen to ever again; I’m sure you would pick one or two of those and three other things so you have some different stuff to go for.
Squ

Offline The Letter M

43 votes for option 2 - honestly, I'm not entirely surprised, and I agree with most of the posts and the logic you've all put forth.

And yes, I limited it to studio albums and did not include live albums because that would've been TOO easy - live albums tend to feature more songs, are longer (often times double or triple length of normal albums) and make it TOO easy to choose option 2. It'd be like picking 10-15 albums' worth of songs from 5 different bands.

Maybe someone can do another poll of that involves live albums, but make it challenging, make it a hard decision. I guess my choice here wasn't hard enough for 43 folks. :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Give it time, I'm sure Kev will come up with new and more specific threads.   :lol

Offline pg1067

DT - LSFNY
Yes - Yessongs
Rush - Chronicles

I had five live albums too at first, but the OP states studio only. Live seems the best way to get a broader spectrum.

Well...crap.  I totally overlooked that.  I guess then I would take:

Rush - Moving Pictures
DT - SFAM
Yes - Close to the Edge
Maiden - Piece of Mind
Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung