First heavy metal song ever?

Blue Cheer - Summertime Blues
1 (5%)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
14 (70%)
some other (please, comment below)
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: First heavy metal song ever?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline WildRanger

First heavy metal song ever?
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:38:13 AM »
In your opinion, what is it?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: First heavy metal song ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »
I know this is a hotly contested subject but to me the Blue Cheer piece is simply rock. That's it. It's got groove... screams rock to me. Not metal.

Sabbath's tune is definitive proto-metal imo. It's that tritone with that meaty guitar sound. And the doomy, evil nature of it... yeah, man.  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny could be called the first heavy metal album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:50:29 AM »
I strongly, but respectfully push back on that.    One, it's not all metal, and two, 1976.   After Iron Man.  After Burn.   After "In Rock". After "Truth".  After "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
The whole thing is an evolution. There isn't really a starting point. Only a point where you think the elements all came together, and that's a matter of interpretation. Personally, I'd probably go with You Really Got Me, though plenty will come along and say "bah, that's not metal!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny could be called the first heavy metal album.

But even Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality, their third album (one of their heaviest too) came 5 fucking years before that  :mehlin :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:16:53 PM »
The whole thing is an evolution. There isn't really a starting point. Only a point where you think the elements all came together, and that's a matter of interpretation. Personally, I'd probably go with You Really Got Me, though plenty will come along and say "bah, that's not metal!"

No, but that's a good call.  There are others like that, too, from "Helter Skelter" to "21st Century Schizoid Man".

By the way, wrong  thread for this, but I just got reintroduced to the Kinks; from about 1970 through "Word of Mouth" there are few catalogues that can compete with what Ray Davies did.   Opera, rock, metal, pop, folk, social commentary, not social commentary...  really, really genius stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »

Came here to post this exact song, first one as far as I know to have "that" sound. Add it to the poll please...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »

But even Black Sabbath's Master Of Reality, their third album (one of their heaviest too) came 5 fucking years before that  :mehlin :mehlin

To say nothing of Sabotage and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and a bunch of albums by Deep Purple, AC/DC, Scorpions, UFO, etc., all of which predate Sad Wings.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
Well, in my defense I could say that as El Barto pointed out, the whole thing was an evoloution, and that by the time of SWoD, that might have been the first time you could tie the word "metal" to it without the need to call back to other genres... but Black Sabbath (the song) is a nice candidate too all things considered  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Mars - Bringer of War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:58:01 PM »
Mars - Bringer of War.

A legit contender.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
Mars - Bringer of War.

:lol  If we're going there, then I say go back further for Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »
The earliest one I listen to is Helter Skelter.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:48:43 PM by BelichickFan »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
What about Born to be Wild?  1968.  Seemed early enough, or it does not count?

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
The whole thing is an evolution. There isn't really a starting point. Only a point where you think the elements all came together, and that's a matter of interpretation.
This.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

That was the first one that popped in my head too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Mars - Bringer of War.

:lol  If we're going there, then I say go back further for Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor

No, we're NOT going there! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »
Vivaldi started it all and anointed Yngwie J. Malmsteen as his successor.  Anyone else is kidding themselves.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »

If someone wants to ignore Black Sabbath, sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
Vivaldi started it all and anointed Yngwie J. Malmsteen as his successor.  Anyone else is kidding themselves.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
The Beatles-Helter Skelter
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
The Beatles-Helter Skelter

That's barely even garage rock  :rollin :rollin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »

Pretty standard classical music mate  :tdwn
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:34 PM »
I think I might have to unleash the fookin'  fury  :lol

I PM'd  Prag to explain the Malmsteen sarcasm   
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:11:39 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »
Heavy metal's beginnings IMO

Iron Butterfly: Iron Butterfly Theme  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDoWtqIGUjY
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown: Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown: Confusion (I didn't see a split version with just Confusion, Confusion starts at 3:15 mark)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf7xA51kMes
Mc5: Kick Out The Jams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYg-a3W35CE
Mc5: I Want You Right Now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1teJmDoHJc
Grand Funk Railroad: Inside Looking Out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxcOxvEsE_Y
Grand Funk Railroad: Into The Sun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzlT1ihN6o
Grand Funk Railroad: Paranoid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1BqwRPZWyI
Blue Cheer: Out of Focus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8xTHJsDgiE

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 11:56:18 PM »

Pretty standard classical music mate  :tdwn

I think I might have to unleash the fookin'  fury  :lol

I PM'd  Prag to explain the Malmsteen sarcasm   

Fuckin  :rollin :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
I know this is a hotly contested subject but to me the Blue Cheer piece is simply rock. That's it. It's got groove... screams rock to me. Not metal.

Sabbath's tune is definitive proto-metal imo. It's that tritone with that meaty guitar sound. And the doomy, evil nature of it... yeah, man.  :hat
This.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
Is there an option for "I don't particularly care"?  Like others have said, it's an evolution.  I get some people, and even the artists, may take pride in saying "this is the first" but as shown here, it's deeply contested and can be easily disputed no matter what you chose since nothing is so clear.  For that reason, I don't really care what the first metal song ever was.  I'm just glad the music progressed this way and have been trying to get to see lots of the bands who started it all over the years as my way of respect to the genre (and of course for my own enjoyment)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »

That was the first one that popped in my head too.

Me too. Hell, it is even the first song citing something as heavy metal ("heavy metal thunder").

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »
Just as an aside, I friggin' hate that song.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music#Origins:_late_1960s_and_early_1970s

How do people feel about this article, then?

Critics disagree over who can be thought of as the first heavy metal band. Most credit either Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath, with American commentators tending to favour Led Zeppelin and British commentators tending to favour Black Sabbath, though many give equal credit to both. A few commentators—mainly American—argue for other groups including Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf or Blue Cheer.[130] Deep Purple, the third band in what is sometimes considered the "unholy trinity" of heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple), despite being slightly older than Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, fluctuated between many rock styles until late 1969 when they took a heavy metal direction.[131]

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

You love it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
My vote:

Pink Floyd - "The Nile Song" (1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduQlWUoyhI

Pink Floyd - "Ibiza Bar" (1969) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXwUS9FFgc
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:42:42 AM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »

You love it.

I disagree with you.