Miracle Man
3 (0.8%)
Bark at the Moon
36 (9.9%)
Mama, I'm Coming Home
19 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: November 20, 2023, 06:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 3876 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
When I was 18, our band played Steal Away The Night at a battle of the bands. I loved playing that song.

What instrument did you play?

Beer
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
When I was 18, our band played Steal Away The Night at a battle of the bands. I loved playing that song.

Guitar.  I have some cassettes that I should turn into a CD if they haven't disintegrated yet.

Beer

Slide Beer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:49 PM »
Hasn't been talked about much, but am I the only one that thinks "Suicide Solution" is the low point of the Rhoads Years?   I really do not like that song very much at all.

I think it's probably middle of the pack, which means I think it's overrated.  It's an interesting song in that it doesn't really have a true chorus, and I like the "'Cause you feel life's unreal" and "Breaking laws, knocking doors" sections (which feel more like bridges than choruses), but the plodding quarter note feel beat of the verses is monotonous and renders the song as a whole pretty boring.  Of the Randy-era songs in this poll, I'd rank it second to last (only ahead of Believer).  I'd also rank it ahead of I Don't Know, Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies and and probably on the same level as Little Dolls and Tonight.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »
Hasn't been talked about much, but am I the only one that thinks "Suicide Solution" is the low point of the Rhoads Years?   I really do not like that song very much at all.

I think it's probably middle of the pack, which means I think it's overrated.  It's an interesting song in that it doesn't really have a true chorus, and I like the "'Cause you feel life's unreal" and "Breaking laws, knocking doors" sections (which feel more like bridges than choruses), but the plodding quarter note feel beat of the verses is monotonous and renders the song as a whole pretty boring.   

That's a fair analysis.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:39 PM »

I can't go that far, as it is certainly better than Goodbye to Romance, Tonight and probably No Bone Movies, but I definitely don't think it is a notable song at all.  I always figured the song became noteworthy because of the controversy that ensued years later because of the lyrics.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2018, 10:14:48 PM »
I love Goodbye to Romance.  :-[
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »
Diary of a Madman
No More Tears
Mr Crowley
Crazy Train
Bark at the Moon

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2018, 06:10:32 AM »

I think it's probably middle of the pack, which means I think it's overrated.  It's an interesting song in that it doesn't really have a true chorus, and I like the "'Cause you feel life's unreal" and "Breaking laws, knocking doors" sections (which feel more like bridges than choruses), but the plodding quarter note feel beat of the verses is monotonous and renders the song as a whole pretty boring.  Of the Randy-era songs in this poll, I'd rank it second to last (only ahead of Believer).  I'd also rank it ahead of I Don't Know, Goodbye to Romance and No Bone Movies and and probably on the same level as Little Dolls and Tonight.

You had me until "Tonight".   "Tonight" is to "Suicide Solution" as "Fur Elise" is to "My farts".   "Tonight" is my single favorite Ozzy song ever, and I'm not exactly a casual Ozzy fan (only meaning, I'm considering the whole catalogue, not just a couple of the hit albums).   

Offline DTA

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2018, 07:35:01 AM »
Anyone like the song S.I.N.? It never really gets talked about but it's definitely a highlight of NMT for me. So damn catchy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »
You had me until "Tonight".   "Tonight" is to "Suicide Solution" as "Fur Elise" is to "My farts".   "Tonight" is my single favorite Ozzy song ever, and I'm not exactly a casual Ozzy fan (only meaning, I'm considering the whole catalogue, not just a couple of the hit albums).   

Tonight is better than I gave it credit for last night, but being a bottom 3 or 4 song from Blizzard/Diary combined is not shameful at all, although Goodbye to Romance blows (sorry, Adami), and No Bone Movies is about as generic as it gets.

Anyone like the song S.I.N.? It never really gets talked about but it's definitely a highlight of NMT for me. So damn catchy.

I like it, but I don't love it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »
Yeah, Suicide Solution is pretty generic - I can't believe Ozzy has performed it at almost every show for all these years.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
Very tough to choose seven.

Suicide Solution
Mr. Crowley
Believer
I Don't Know
Crazy Train
Over The Mountain
Diary Of A Madman

Honorable mention: Mama I'm Coming Home

Biggest Omission: Sato

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
Yeah, Suicide Solution is pretty generic - I can't believe Ozzy has performed it at almost every show for all these years.

I listened to "Blizzard" today and I stand by my assessment.   Least favorite song on the record.   The riff is excellent, the solo is excellent, the lyrics are okay, the verses okay, the "bridge/chorus" needs something else, and the "breakdown" is annoying as hell.  BODGE!  FLAPS!   BODGE!  FLAPS!!  I do love the line "Now you live inside a bottle, the reaper's traveling at full throttle", though. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:51 PM »

I had a feeling you'd jump on this.  For me, Tonight just doesn't do it.  It's a nice song, and as someone else said, being maybe the sixth best song on Diary of a Madman isn't a bad thing.  After reading your comments about the outro guitar solo, I listened to the song and particularly focused on that, but I'd argue that they didn't fade it out soon enough.  It's like the last 1:45 of the song.  Good grief!

I can't go that far, as it is certainly better than Goodbye to Romance, Tonight and probably No Bone Movies, but I definitely don't think it is a notable song at all.  I always figured the song became noteworthy because of the controversy that ensued years later because of the lyrics.

I think you're right.  Suicide Solution was "infamous" for the lyrics and the stupid lawsuit.  As a high school kid, it was almost forbidden fruit.  It also got more notoriety (undeserved IMO) for the extended guitar solo on the Tribute album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
Diary, Revelation, Flying, Crowley, and Believer. Left two spots for S.A.T.O. and Steal Away.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »

I had a feeling you'd jump on this.  For me, Tonight just doesn't do it.  It's a nice song, and as someone else said, being maybe the sixth best song on Diary of a Madman isn't a bad thing.  After reading your comments about the outro guitar solo, I listened to the song and particularly focused on that, but I'd argue that they didn't fade it out soon enough.  It's like the last 1:45 of the song.  Good grief!

Yes, it's long, but we're not talking about me noodling at Guitar Center.   This Randy Frickin' Rhoads!   :)

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2018, 10:04:59 PM »
Crazy Train might be my least favorite Heavy Metal song ever.

On topic: No More Tears, The Ultimate Sin, Bark at the Moon, Mr. Crowley, Killer of Giants, Mama I'm Coming Home

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
Hasn’t been mentioned yet here, but I love me some Secret Loser.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »

On topic: No More Tears, The Ultimate Sin, Bark at the Moon, Mr. Crowley, Killer of Giants, Mama I'm Coming Home
Guess you just had to be there. Now that it's used to start football games and sell minivans to soccermoms it's lost most of its appeal to me. In 1981 it was the end of the motherfucking world, though. For me it came out just at the right time for BoO to be one of my formative albums.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »
^Yeah, that.  It was a beast of a song.  And, if you can listen to it objectively and forget how "mainstream" it has become, it still is.  It's just hard to shake the baggage.  But that's the thing about the passage of time.  All the "rebellious" ones that listened to it back when it was fresh, cutting edge, and scary ARE the soccer moms and grandparents of today.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
^Yeah, that.  It was a beast of a song.  And, if you can listen to it objectively and forget how "mainstream" it has become, it still is.  It's just hard to shake the baggage.  But that's the thing about the passage of time.  All the "rebellious" ones that listened to it back when it was fresh, cutting edge, and scary ARE the soccer moms and grandparents of today.
There were bands that to see live I had to cross picket lines of Bible thumpers waiving crosses and teling us we're condemned to hell. Those same bands play in the background at Safeway when I buy groceries now. Sammy Hagar and The Scorpions are Muzak now.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2018, 01:11:21 PM »
There were bands that to see live I had to cross picket lines of Bible thumpers waiving crosses and teling us we're condemned to hell. Those same bands play in the background at Safeway when I buy groceries now. Sammy Hagar and The Scorpions are Muzak now.
But still no Number of the Beast.  At least SOME things are still sacred.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Guess you just had to be there. Now that it's used to start football games and sell minivans to soccermoms it's lost most of its appeal to me. In 1981 it was the end of the motherfucking world, though. For me it came out just at the right time for BoO to be one of my formative albums.

This for sure (as well as Bosk's comments).  When I was in my first band in 1987, this was a mandatory cover song, and I meticulously learned Bob Daisley's part as transcribed in Guitar for the Practicing Musician.  The anticipation of the intro, waiting for that MONSTER riff to start.  The fact that a goofy major chord progression with a "horsey" feel worked in a metal song.  The pre-chorus and chorus about mental wounds driving Ozzy insane.  One of the best 16 bar guitar solos ever.  I only wished our drummer had a vibraslap for the intro!

Even though it's become overplayed and overused, I still appreciate and enjoy it for what it was at the time.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »

This.  Outside the New Haven Coliseum (where I saw Maiden open for Priest, and where more of the harder "metal" shows played, whereas Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond played the Hartford Civic Center) there was always a guy wearing robes like Jesus and carrying a large wooden cross, and he had his "helpers" handing out  pamphlets.   I must've been at the show where he showed up first, because the first time I saw him he stood under what was a massive (like four stories) escalator and I can remember the beer raining down on them.   He didn't stand there any time I saw him after that.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
I only wished our drummer had a vibraslap for the intro!

I hear you.  When we used to play it, we didn't have one either.  Then when we started doing Short Skirt, Long Jacket, our drummer insisted on getting one and wearing it out on that song.  :lol

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
Whoa, these posts are great. And you're right, actually: I guess I had to be there. A lot of my dislike for the song comes from how overplayed it is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »
I never get sick of hearing Crazy Train.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »
Whoa, these posts are great. And you're right, actually: I guess I had to be there. A lot of my dislike for the song comes from how overplayed it is.

You have no idea.  It's not just the co-opting of the music.   I remember when Ozzy and Gene Simmons were dangerous and scary as shit.   Now?  They're caricatures of themselves, what with the reality TV and all that nonsense.     There was a time when there was no video, no social media, no nothing.  All you saw of your favorite bands was what was on the album cover (which wasn't much; think "Vol. 4") and if you got to see them live.  There was MYSTERY.   Now?  You know how big Ozzy's cock is, you know what he has for breakfast, you know whether his post-nasal drip is acting up... it's too much.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »

You have no idea.  It's not just the co-opting of the music.   I remember when Ozzy and Gene Simmons were dangerous and scary as shit.   Now?  They're caricatures of themselves, what with the reality TV and all that nonsense.     There was a time when there was no video, no social media, no nothing.  All you saw of your favorite bands was what was on the album cover (which wasn't much; think "Vol. 4") and if you got to see them live.  There was MYSTERY.   Now?  You know how big Ozzy's cock is, you know what he has for breakfast, you know whether his post-nasal drip is acting up... it's too much.

Speak for yourself, sir!

Seriously, though, this is right on point.  Thirty-five years ago, these people weren't human.  They were larger than life.  Motley Crue was going to kidnap your children, rape your daughters and train your sons to commit satanic ritual sacrifices.  In the late 1980s, I got a job with a law firm as a file clerk.  At some point, the Southern California legal newspaper (The Daily Journal) published an article talking about how awful heavy metal music was.  I'm sure it referenced the Ozzy and Judas Priest lawsuits.  I was incensed by the stupidity in the article and almost wrote a letter to the editor (which I suppose was the closest thing to social media in those days).  Good times!