Miracle Man
3 (0.8%)
Bark at the Moon
36 (9.9%)
Mama, I'm Coming Home
19 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: November 20, 2023, 06:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 3878 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »
Also noticeably absent from the list were Steal Away the Night and SATO.  I lost interest in Ozzy after he became a caricature of himself and hired Mr. Pinch Harmonic.

I love those two songs as well - SATO doesn't get enough love.

Mr Pinch Harmonic was a shock to me at the time - I was a massive Jake fan (The Ultimate Sin was my first "metal album" after I saw Jake shredding it up on the Lightning Strikes video) and I raced off to buy NRFTW on the day of release and was super disappointed.   I grew to like the album over time and love No More Tears but beyond some very good songs on Ozzmosis I have never had much interest in the later material.

SATO and Diary back to back are 10 of the best minutes on any album ever.

My first "new" Ozzy album was Bark.  I wasn't yet a fan when Randy was still alive.  I thought Jake was good but not great.  Bark was a great album.  Ultimate Sin was disappointing to me.  By the time No Rest came out, I was really into Queensryche and Fates Warning, and Ozzy was becoming a bit too cartoonish for my taste.  I dutifully bought No Rest, but it never really clicked for me (and somewhere along the way, I got rid of it).  I believe we own the next two albums (No More Tears and whatever came after it), but those were because my wife like Mama I'm Comin' Home.  I'm not sure I've ever listened to them.

As far as Mr. PH, he was ok on No Rest (in other words, I don't think he wasn't the reason that album didn't click for me), but every time I've seen/heard him since, he has annoyed the living fuck out of me.  He did the Star Spangled Banner at a hockey game once, and I wanted do great violence.  Pinch harmonics are a fine little trick to use sparingly, NOT ON EVERY OTHER NOTE!  Ok...I feel better.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 05:46:27 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
Damn, only one other person loves Zombie Stomp as much as I do.

I really thought Revelation (Mother Earth) would contend for the most popular.

Bark at the Moon is great, so I have no beef with it being at the top. :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »

One song I love not on the list is Fire In The Sky.

That's had more than one mention.   I always felt that it had about 50 too many choruses :lol    That made me struggle with what would otherwise have been a favorite.  One that I loved as a kid was a song that was a hidden bonus on my cassette (Hero).

I absolutely love Hero.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DTA

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 05:56:58 PM »
Damn, only one other person loves Zombie Stomp as much as I do.

I really thought Revelation (Mother Earth) would contend for the most popular.

Bark at the Moon is great, so I have no beef with it being at the top. :metal

I’m the other Zombie Stomper! No More Tears is so far and away my favorite Ozzy album, the other ones are not even close.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks The Ultimate Sin is a huge step down from Bark At The Moon (I'm talking albums..).

My Top 5 Ozzy albums are:
1. Diary
2. Blizzard
3. Bark At The Moon
4. Ozzmosis
5. No More Tears

Yes, you read that right. I LOVE Ozzmosis.
I can make it through The Ultimate Sin, but I don't care for anything else he's done. I think No Rest blows.

My Top 5 Ozzy songs are:
1. Diary Of A Madman
2. Mr. Crowley
3. Waiting For Darkness
4. See You On The Other Side
5. Over The Mountain
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
I find Bark At The Moon a very weak album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
I find Bark At The Moon a very weak album.

Have you ever heard it? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 07:04:41 PM »
Yup.  It always dissapointed me. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
That doesn't even make any sense.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 07:16:54 PM »
 :lol

Tell me about it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »

You guys must be the minority.  Just about all of my friends who are Ozzy fans thinks it's his worst release of all the early stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »

You guys must be the minority.  Just about all of my friends who are Ozzy fans thinks it's his worst release of all the early stuff.

A lot of metalheads seem to think that The Ultimate Sin is some wussy album and that Bark At The Moon is amazing.   Zakk Wylde always said the same himself but I have never really understood that.   Sure The Ultimate Sin had some glammy elements (including that awesome glitter costume in the Lightning Strikes vid :lol ) but I must admit I always thought the general sound on TUS was definitely heavier if anything.

I love them both but have a bias towards the one that started it all for me - The Ultimate Sin.   I would also much rather listen to the Randy Rhoads Tribute version of all the Blizzard songs - far heavier and more lively versions.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »

Yes, it is the worst release of the Diary-Blizzard-BATM run. Yes. the worst. It's still his 3rd best album. I didn't even realize it was debatable.

Kingshmegland, you've been awful argumentative around here lately. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
What? This isn't an argument.  It's fact! :lol. It never really clicked with me.  Give me TUS. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
The Queen agrees with me.  Come at us bro. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
No way I'm going after the Queen. :lol

"Queen, TAC is being mean, can I hide behind you?" :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:21 PM »
More like "Pull up a folding chair and watch her tear up that bitch".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
Time for someone else to post in this thread. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »
I remember Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin being about equal; both have 3-4 songs I still go back to and then I disregard the rest.

And I agree about Ozzmosis, TAC.  I went for mostly his most popular songs on this here poll, but the deep tracks from that album are where it's at - Thunder Underground, Tomorrow and My Jekyll Doesn't Hide are all really good  :metal :metal, and My Little Man has always been one of my favorites.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2018, 08:15:29 PM »
My Little Man is amazing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
Thanks to this thread I think I will spin every album after The Ultimate Sin tomorrow.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
My work here is done. :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Thanks to this thread, I will spin every album before The Ultimate Sin tomorrow.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »
 :lol :lol

My Little Man is amazing.

It has some really strong competition, but the guitar solo from that song is one of my favorites from any Ozzy solo song.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:07 AM »
Diary of a Madman
Believer (no love for this? :()
Mr. Crowley
The Ultimate Sin
Killer of Giants
Shot in the Dark
Over the Mountain

Had to leave out Revelation (Mother Earth), You Can't Kill Rock and Roll and Bark at the Moon. My favorite out of the ones not on this list is Waiting for Darkness :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

I kinda lean toward you on this one, King, though to be fair, I kind of view them as a pair.   I don't think there's a huge difference between BATM and TUS, but I certainly don't think Bark towers over Sin either.   The cover is ATROCIOUS, the title track is a cartoon, and the chorus to Center of Eternity gives me vertigo.  But then again, I don't like Shit In The Dark, either, that cover is almost as bad, and Thank God I Don't Have To Listen to Thank God For The Bomb ever again if I don't have to.

FYI, my top five Ozzy solo songs:

1. Tonight
2. You Can't Kill Rock And Roll/Flying High Again/Diary Of A Madman (I did that not to cheat, but to not overwhelm with one album)
3. Fire In The Sky
4. Fool Like You
5. One Up The B-Side 

Kev really did his job here; I'm now really into listening to old(er) Ozzy again.   For a while he was my favorite artist, and I can remember EXACTLY where I was when I heard Randy died (having breakfast with my parents at Steve's Diner in Shelton, CT, and I read it in the Daily News).   A Top Five for me is ridiculous; I'd have a hard time with a Top 25 to be honest.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »
I thought Bark at the Moon was a great album.  I thought the highlight songs were really good.  And the rest of the album, whether you want to call it deep cuts or filler, was also really solid all the way through.  It was definitely an album where, for my tastes, I could repeatedly listen all the way through without losing interest, which is something I canNOT say about a lot of albums from that era. 

The Ultimate Sin, on the other hand, really felt uninteresting to me.  A friend bought it first.  I listened, and it just didn't click with me at all and didn't feel nearly as strong.  Although it had a handful of catchy songs (Shot, the title song, and Killer of Giants), none of those really felt compelling to me.  And none of the deep cuts stood out.

So yeah, Tim, I'm with you on Bark at the Moon being FAR superior, at least for my tastes.

-----

As far as the entire discography, it's hard to rate.  As I kind of mentioned above, I got into Ozzy as one of the first real hard rock bands that started to form my tastes in that sort of music, but he then became a pretty big turnoff.  I got Blizzard of Oz very early on as one of my first hard rock albums, and I listened to it to death.  Great album.  I then got Speak of the Devil because it was one of the only two other albums available on Columbia House at the time.  I listened to that album a TON while on my paper route as a kid.  So both of those albums burned into my brain.  That would be followed very shortly by Bark at the Moon, which got the same paper route treatment.  If memory serves, I caught up and got Diary a bit after that.  And for whatever reason, just didn't listen to it as much, even though I recall it being pretty good.  After that, Ozzy just lost me.  When No More Tears came out, I really liked that one as well.  But that was pretty much it for me.  Nothing afterward clicked.  So those five albums are really the only ones I was every really interested in.  Ranking them, I would probably go:
1.  Blizzard:  I'm not sure it is the "best."  But it holds a special place for me.
2.  Bark at the Moon:  Gets the nod for the #2 spot for just being so solid and consistent.
3.  No More Tears:  The title song is, IMO, far and away the best song Ozzy has ever done.  The rest of the album is good.  But not nearly as many standouts.
4.  Speak:  Really good live performance of those Sabbath classics.
5.  Diary:  I remember it being pretty good.  But I don't remember much more than that.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:51:55 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online pg1067

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2018, 10:57:36 AM »
Blizzard and Diary remind me a lot of Metallica's Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets.  If you took the first half of side 1 of Master, the second half of side 1 of Lightning and the second halves of side 2 of both albums, you'd have a near perfect album:

1. Battery
2. Master
3. Bell
4. Fade
------
5. Damage
6. Orion
7. Creep
8. Ktulu

(this wouldn't have worked in terms of vinyl side lengths, but you get the point)

It works very much the same way with Blizzard and Diary:

1. Over the Mountain
2. Crazy Train
3. Flying High Again
4. Revelation
------
5. Crowley
6. SATO
7. Suicide Solution
8. Diary
9. Steal Away

I'd be a little bothered with losing Sanitarium from the Metallica combination and You Can't Kill R&R from the Ozzy combo, but something's gotta give (although of you disregard vinyl side lengths, both could be easily included on standard CDs.

As far as Bark and Sin go, for my money, I'm on the same page as Bosk.  Bark is overwhelmingly superior.  Waiting for Darkness is a top 3 Ozzy song (and criminally underrated, although obviously not on this forum).  Bar, Rebel and Eternity are very strong songs.  The rest of the songs are average to slightly above average (although So Tired -- while somewhat novel at the time -- didn't really meet its potential).  On Sin, Shot in the Dark is a much improved version of So Tired.  The rest of the album is somewhere between slightly above average to below average.  Nothing on the album is better than anything on Bark (except for So Tired).  If I were combining the two, the only songs I would take from Sin are Shot and maybe the title track.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »

Kev really did his job here; I'm now really into listening to old(er) Ozzy again.   For a while he was my favorite artist, and I can remember EXACTLY where I was when I heard Randy died (having breakfast with my parents at Steve's Diner in Shelton, CT, and I read it in the Daily News).   A Top Five for me is ridiculous; I'd have a hard time with a Top 25 to be honest.

That he did. Have Ozzy on shuffle during my commute the last day. Forgot how good of a song Over the Mountain really is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »
Hasn't been talked about much, but am I the only one that thinks "Suicide Solution" is the low point of the Rhoads Years?   I really do not like that song very much at all. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »
No way!  That riff is just a monster.  And the vocals go with it very well.  Great song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
When I was 18, our band played Steal Away The Night at a battle of the bands. I loved playing that song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2018, 12:50:34 PM »
When I was 18, our band played Steal Away The Night at a battle of the bands. I loved playing that song.

What instrument did you play?