Miracle Man
3 (0.8%)
Bark at the Moon
36 (9.9%)
Mama, I'm Coming Home
19 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: November 20, 2023, 06:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 3936 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »
You can vote for up to 7.

I will go with:

Revelation (Mother Earth)
No More Tears
Diary of a Madman
Zombie Stomp
You Can't Kill Rock and Roll
Mr. Crowley
Mama, I'm Coming Home

Offline NoseofNicko

Re: Your favorites of these songs by Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:41:47 PM »
I voted for Diary of a Madman twice because it’s that great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
I voted for:
Mr. Crowley
Diary Of A Madman
See You On The Other Side
Mama I'm Coming Home
Over The Mountain

My 7th selection, had it been listed, would have been Waiting For Darkness.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
Out of these I voted for;

Diary of a Madman
The Ultimate Sin
Over the Mountain
Revelation
Shot in the Dark
Mr Crowley
Bark at the Moon
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 07:27:34 PM »
Pretty tough but without thinking too much.......

Diary of a Madman
Mr Crowley
No More Tears
Killer of Giants
Revelation
Bark At The Moon
You can't Kill Rock and Roll
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:33:57 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
Yay, more votes for Mr. Crowley!  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »
Yay, more votes for Mr. Crowley!  ;D

I think 95% of Ozzy fans would easily pick Mr. Crowley given the list of songs and the ability to choose 7 songs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
I'm still serenaded to this day by it. I ran into a guy I went to high school with a few weeks ago. I haven't seen him in almost 10 years, and as soon as he sees me, he immediately breaks into "Mr. Crowley.".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
I didn't check off Mr. Crowley before submitting. Oops... But I did get the others.

Over the Mountain
Crazy Train
Bark at the Moon
Mama, I'm Coming Home

Some of the others on the list are extremely annoying to me, and I wish Hellraiser was on there because that's one of my favorites too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
One of my favs that was underrated IMO I thought was Breaking all the Rules

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
Diary of a Madman
No More Tears
Suicide Solution
A Shot in the Dark
Killer of Giants
I Don't Know

Limited to 7, these are the 2 honorable mentions from the list for me:
Bark at the Moon and Crazy Train.

Other songs that would've been within that 7 had they been included on your list are:
Waiting for Darkness (one of my all-time favorite Ozzy tracks), Breaking All the Rules and Fire in the Sky.

My 7th selection, had it been listed, would have been Waiting For Darkness.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who rates this song highly.   :tup
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 04:02:57 AM »
1. Mr.  Crowley
2. Diary of a Madman
3. Killer of Giants
4. Revelation (Mother Earth)
5. Perry Mason
6. Centre of Eternity
7. The Ultimate Sin

Mr. Crowley is by far my favorite. Fantastic song with my favorite guitar solo growing up.

The Ultimate Sin and No More Tears was a toss up.

Waiting for Darkness would have been #2 for me. Back on Earth would have made my list if it were in the poll. Not much to the song, but I've always really liked it. S.A.T.O. might have made it as well. Always liked that as a lead-in to Diary.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »
 Diary of a Madman
 The Ultimate Sin
 Over the Mountain
 A Shot in the Dark
 Flying High Again
 Mr. Crowley
 Bark at the Moon
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »
Crowley, Crazy Train, Want You

Yeah, you guessed it, I'm a casual listener and I don't follow Ozzy's carreer at all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Missing my favourite Ozzy track though, Steal Away The Night.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
Tough to choose.  For me, Blizzard, Diary, and Bark at the Moon were essential albums that just had SO many great songs.  But after that, I pretty much stopped caring, with the exception of No More Tears, which has some fantastic songs as well (the title track being perhaps my favorite Ozzy song of all time).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 07:35:59 AM »
Diary of a Madman
 The Ultimate Sin
 Over the Mountain
A Shot in the Dark
 Flying High Again

Mr. Crowley
 Bark at the Moon

My top 2.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »
You know, the interesting thing for me is, for every Ozzy song that I like, I can't say I really like it because of Ozzy.  It's more that I like it in spite of Ozzy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
You know, the interesting thing for me is, for every Ozzy song that I like, I can't say I really like it because of Ozzy.  It's more that I like it in spite of Ozzy.

This is exactly how I feel, too, bosk. In all the Ozzy songs that annoy me, it's usually Ozzy himself that annoys me, not the rest of the band. The only non-Ozzy thing that bothers me is the break in No More Tears - I strongly dislike everything about it and wish I could rip it straight out.

Every time I hear Bark at the Moon I think of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. That was actually where I first heard that song, as a kid, playing it on my PC. I remember getting on a motorcycle driving through town and then suddenly that riff came on... one of those moments you don't realize is life changing until many years later, but that's one of them. What an incredible song!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »
Ozzy doesn't bother me.  It's like putting on an worn-out dirty old pair of sneakers.  It ain't pretty but it just feels so comfortable, you can't even feel them on your feet . 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »

This is exactly how I feel, too, bosk. In all the Ozzy songs that annoy me, it's usually Ozzy himself that annoys me, not the rest of the band. The only non-Ozzy thing that bothers me is the break in No More Tears - I strongly dislike everything about it and wish I could rip it straight out.

Oh, wow, really?  To me, it contributes to that overall uneasiness and twisted atmosphere the song is supposed to conjure up.  So I feel it is really fitting and purposeful, and it totally works for me.  :dunno:

Every time I hear Bark at the Moon I think of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. That was actually where I first heard that song, as a kid, playing it on my PC. I remember getting on a motorcycle driving through town and then suddenly that riff came on... one of those moments you don't realize is life changing until many years later, but that's one of them. What an incredible song!

Funny you should say that.  That song was pretty influential for me as well, although I was listening to it back when it actually came out.  That riff (and the solo as well, for that matter) really made Jake one of my favorite guitar players.  Out of curiosity, have you ever listened to Badlands?  Voodoo Highway and Dusk (the latter of which was released years after the fact, and after Ray died) are two of the best hard rock albums by anyone.  They aren't quite what one might expect from Jake's playing.  But they are truly outstanding albums.  The first album isn't bad either, but they hadn't quite gelled as a band, and it doesn't sound like they had really figured out what direction they wanted to go, as it sounds like kind of an '80s-by-numbers album.  The latter two albums are much grittier, blues-based hard rock.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
Flying High Again
Revelation Mother Earth
Over The Mountain
Crazy Train
Mr. Crowley
No More Tears
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »

Oh, wow, really?  To me, it contributes to that overall uneasiness and twisted atmosphere the song is supposed to conjure up.  So I feel it is really fitting and purposeful, and it totally works for me.  :dunno:

Yeah, man. I can't stand it. It does add to that vibe, but at the same time I feel it brings the song to an abrupt halt. It has a good thing going and then it crams that in, it's trying to do too much in my opinion. Killing a good flow like that disappoints me big time.

Funny you should say that.  That song was pretty influential for me as well, although I was listening to it back when it actually came out.  That riff (and the solo as well, for that matter) really made Jake one of my favorite guitar players.  Out of curiosity, have you ever listened to Badlands?  Voodoo Highway and Dusk (the latter of which was released years after the fact, and after Ray died) are two of the best hard rock albums by anyone.  They aren't quite what one might expect from Jake's playing.  But they are truly outstanding albums.  The first album isn't bad either, but they hadn't quite gelled as a band, and it doesn't sound like they had really figured out what direction they wanted to go, as it sounds like kind of an '80s-by-numbers album.  The latter two albums are much grittier, blues-based hard rock.

That's cool. I have never listened to Badlands. In all honesty I'm not terribly keen on discovering new rock or metal bands these days, but if you say they're that good I'll check them out.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Ozzy brings back soooo many memories of high school...  I'm pretty much Team Randy though I like Zak and Jake; Ozzy has completely lost me on the last two records.

I picked FOUR: 
Diary of a Madman (Diary, the album, is in my top five albums of all time
Flying High Again

I would have voted for Steal Away, Fire In The Sky, and Tonight had they been on the list. I've said it before, but I waste no opportunity to re-say it:   the fade out of Randy's solo in Tonight is one of the most egregious fouls in rock and roll history.    A crime against humanity.   A violation of the Geneva Convention.   When the recent deluxe version of Diary was announced, early track lists had an "extended version" of Tonight, and I would have bought the set just for that alone, but alas it was dropped before the actual release.   Thanks, Obama. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »

That's cool. I have never listened to Badlands. In all honesty I'm not terribly keen on discovering new rock or metal bands these days, but if you say they're that good I'll check them out.

Dusk is a really interesting album.  They had the songs written as demos, but hadn't really sat down and fine-tuned them.  They got together in studio in '92 I think it was for about 6 hours and one-taked almost the entire album, song-by-song.  The interesting thing about that is that Ray only had about half the lyrics written, and just ad-libbed and/or scatted.  It does have the kind of raw vibe that you would get from doing a one-take in a studio (I think the songs were cleaned up a bit after the fact, but not much).  The intent was to have these one-takes recorded as demos to shop to labels.  But the band broke up not long after.  They released it as-is in '98.

The lyrics tend to be pretty dark and gritty.  I think Ray knew he was dying at the time, which I think contributed to that. 

The album is out of print, but you can listen to it online:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1WhqfZEHg

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 08:29:43 AM »
Nice to hear someone else who thinks Voodoo Highway kills the debut - there's not many of us  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
Nice to hear someone else who thinks Voodoo Highway kills the debut - there's not many of us  :)

It took me awhile.  I was really into the slick, polished sound of the late '80s, and the debut captured that well.  But over time, I was able to understand and really appreciate what they were going for on Voodoo Highway, and thought they killed it.  To bring this back to the topic somewhat, that album (and Dusk as well) really get back to what I refer to as Jake's very "kinetic"1 style of playing that the Jake-era Ozzy albums showcased, even though the rough, gritty, blues influence also make those album sound very different from the Ozzy albums at the same time.

1 What I mean by this is that he has a style of playing that just sound, or rather feels, like it is always in motion and always changing.  You take the main riff in a given Jake song, and it tends to be very busy, and Jake tends to add subtle changes every few times through, whether it is subtly changing the riff, throwing in little mini-solos, runs, accents, or flourishes.  It's like, every few bars, the same riff becomes a different riff because he changes it up, and then changes it again, and then changes it again.  That's a hallmark of Jake's playing that I love.  It was there during his time in Ozzy, but is a lot more noticeable in his work in Badlands.  I remember having this conversation with Cozmo, and he thought that was a great description of Jake's playing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »
Stadler, I tried to return your PM but it says your inbox is full. Likely full of commas, semicolons, and other assorted punctuation.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »
I went with No More Tears (my favorite Ozzy song), Over the Mountain, Flying High Again, Mr. Crowley, Miracle Man, Bark at the Moon, and Mama I’m Coming Home.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »
Diary of a Madman
Over the Mountain
A Shot in the Dark
Flying High Again
Killer of Giants
I Don't Know

One song I love not on the list is Fire In The Sky.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »

One song I love not on the list is Fire In The Sky.

That's had more than one mention.   I always felt that it had about 50 too many choruses :lol    That made me struggle with what would otherwise have been a favorite.  One that I loved as a kid was a song that was a hidden bonus on my cassette (Hero).

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
I voted for Diary of a Madman twice because it’s that great.

Would that I could.

I'm honestly shocked to see Bark at the Moon leading (although I voted for it).  Diary is the overwhelming best song on this list.

I went with:

Diary
Over the Mountain
Revelation
Rock 'n' Roll Rebel
Centre of Eternity
Crazy Train
Bark

Honorable mentions to Suicide Solution, Shot in the Dark, Flying High Again and Mr. Crowley.

Had Waiting for Darkness been an option, I'd have picked it over R&R Rebel or Centre of Eternity.  Also noticeably absent from the list were Steal Away the Night and SATO.  I lost interest in Ozzy after he became a caricature of himself and hired Mr. Pinch Harmonic.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
Stadler, I tried to return your PM but it says your inbox is full. Likely full of commas, semicolons, and other assorted punctuation.

Done.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
No More Tears is such a badass song with an even more badass guitar solo. However, when that solo finishes the rest of the song doesn't interest me anymore. Happens to me every single time.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
Also noticeably absent from the list were Steal Away the Night and SATO.  I lost interest in Ozzy after he became a caricature of himself and hired Mr. Pinch Harmonic.

I love those two songs as well - SATO doesn't get enough love.

Mr Pinch Harmonic was a shock to me at the time - I was a massive Jake fan (The Ultimate Sin was my first "metal album" after I saw Jake shredding it up on the Lightning Strikes video) and I raced off to buy NRFTW on the day of release and was super disappointed.   I grew to like the album over time and love No More Tears but beyond some very good songs on Ozzmosis I have never had much interest in the later material.

www.theguitardojo.com.au